Thread: Jake O'Brien D Everton b.2001

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Spoken like a true Ireland "supporter".
    Are Irish supporters supposed to live in fantasy land ? !

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Are Irish supporters supposed to live in fantasy land ? !
    This isn't based on one post. I've followed you're comments for awhile now, no Irish "fan" would talk about his team/players the way you do. You maybe you do "support" them, but only when things are going well. I think the term for that is "fair weather fan".

In regards to O'Brien it's worth noting that these clubs will have watched more of him than people like Sean have who probably saw the odd highlights of Ligue 1 games involving Lyon if even that. They'll also consider factors such as his age, his physical attributes and his ability on the ball. I know its crazy to suggest an Irish player could be liked by anyone but these factors would all be massive plus factors for any club when signing a player.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    This isn't based on one post. I've followed you're comments for awhile now, no Irish "fan" would talk about his team/players the way you do. You maybe you do "support" them, but only when things are going well. I think the term for that is "fair weather fan".

In regards to O'Brien it's worth noting that these clubs will have watched more of him than people like Sean have who probably saw the odd highlights of Ligue 1 games involving Lyon if even that. They'll also consider factors such as his age, his physical attributes and his ability on the ball. I know its crazy to suggest an Irish player could be liked by anyone but these factors would all be massive plus factors for any club when signing a player.
    £30 million for a player with the CV of Jake O'Brien is crazy money ~ ~ Live in reality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Its one report with most sources saying e20M-e25M gets him (16-20M sterling). It is reality as I don't think its too far off for the way the market is today. Kilman just went for 40M. Branthwaite might move for 50M. Mats Wiefer (who? exactly.) went from Feyenoord to Brighton for over 25M.

Its not Irish fans paying the money, its clubs. A player is worth what the market says he is worth.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    £30 million for a player with the CV of Jake O'Brien is crazy money ~ ~ Live in reality.
    It isnt really in today's market, especially with the factors I've already mentioned.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts

With Lyon spending €140M already this summer I'd be surprised if O'Brien was still there come September.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    I would've preferred something better than Everton...but hey ho.

I wonder if that means the latest defensive second coming (aka Branthwaite) is off? If not it'll be interesting to see how O'Brien gets on relative to him.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I would've preferred something better than Everton...but hey ho.

I wonder if that means the latest defensive second coming (aka Branthwaite) is off? If not it'll be interesting to see how O'Brien gets on relative to him.
    In fairness what amazing progress in a year to where Everton might be seen as a disapointment. Thos time last year he had finished a season in the Belgian second division. For context Tayo Adaramolo played in the Belgian Premier division last season.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Yeah would have liked to seen him stay at Lyon and playing European football. Then again as Liamoo said he's come some distance in the last two years to get where he is now. Think the sale of Onana means they mightn't have to sell Branthwaite until next summer.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    It is some going to be where he is. It isn't long since he was on loan in League Two. Then he was in the Belgian second division. He looked much better for Ireland in his two senior caps than I ever remember him at under 21 level. He really must have improved a lot.

I reckon if I go back far enough in this thread people, me included, were apprehensive about the Lyon move. It could have been construed as a bit of multi club fiddling. I think Toulouse bid and that made sense as a next step at the time and might have made Palace consider the move to an affiliate in the same league.

Anyway, hopefully he takes well to the Premier League. Clearly has impressed plenty scouts across Europe this season.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It is some going to be where he is. It isn't long since he was on loan in League Two. Then he was in the Belgian second division. He looked much better for Ireland in his two senior caps than I ever remember him at under 21 level. He really must have improved a lot.

I reckon if I go back far enough in this thread people, me included, were apprehensive about the Lyon move. It could have been construed as a bit of multi club fiddling. I think Toulouse bid and that made sense as a next step at the time and might have made Palace consider the move to an affiliate in the same league.

Anyway, hopefully he takes well to the Premier League. Clearly has impressed plenty scouts across Europe this season.
    Yeah it's a massive move for him, 5 year deal likely a massive pay increase and set up.financially for life. One injury could end his career he absolutely is right to take the deal

17. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Any idea what the fee is? I'm reading £23m! I thought Lyon bought him off Crystal Palace last summer for less than £2m.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Would rather he moved to Ajax, Brentford, Wolves etc etc. I don’t have any faith that Everton won’t be in real financial difficulty and forced to sell before the deadline or in January and possibly deducted points and in a relegation scrap.

They haven’t found a new owner and have borrowed an insane amount of cash from various prospective buyers. I think the latest loans will probably cover the stadium build but I dunno, I’d avoid it if I had similar options in the PL and in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Ajax is a step down from lyon, only way he should be moving now is up. Dream signing for dyche at least, o'brien be absolutely unstoppable from set pieces.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    Ajax is a step down from lyon, only way he should be moving now is up. Dream signing for dyche at least, o'brien be absolutely unstoppable from set pieces.
    Dyche did a fantastic job at Everton last year ~ ~ The most impressive performance by any manger.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I thought Lyon bought him off Crystal Palace last summer for less than £2m.
    That was a sale within the same ownership group. Can't help but wonder if they had seen his potential at that point and saw an opportunity to get him first team football at a good level and also get rid of the Cork City sell on clause in the process before his transfer value sky-rocketed.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    I doubt he went to Lyon as a work around to Cork getting minimal money on a transfer.

While Texor owns Lyon he's only a minority owner with Palace. I'd say Palace didn't have plans for O'Brien and were just happy to let him go cheap with a good sell on clause. Lyon were happy to take a punt because of the low fee

For €20M I'm surprised they didn't re-sign O'Brien. New manager prefers 3-4-3 and has been using FBs as CBs at times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    I doubt he went to Lyon as a work around to Cork getting minimal money on a transfer.

While Texor owns Lyon he's only a minority owner with Palace. I'd say Palace didn't have plans for O'Brien and were just happy to let him go cheap with a good sell on clause. Lyon were happy to take a punt because of the low fee

For €20M I'm surprised they didn't re-sign O'Brien. New manager prefers 3-4-3 and has been using FBs as CBs at times.

didnt the tv deal collapse over there? hands could have been tied a bit by that. either way exciting move and a huge jump in levels for him. really interesting to see how he gets on.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    I’m just glad CSAD has an actual transfer fee to include in his posts.

29. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast