Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Greece V Republic of Ireland - Friday, 16th June 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    There's always a chance he could be injured during the two games, which would scupper a move.
    I think thats the point, he knows himslef and his agent more then knows it

So they are wrapping him in cotton wool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    A call up is definitely a bit double edged for a player out of contract. It could be a shop window, but a bad injury could be a huge setback. I don't see any need to read more into it than that at the moment.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I mean, that's good in one way.

But our forward options are Ferguson (good), Obafemi (200 minutes of league action since early November), Parrott (outperformed by Cannon at club level), Idah (one goal this year) and Johnstone (a winger). Keane and Ogbene are missing from the last squad so it's not as if there isn't room in the senior squad.

Preaching to the converted I know, but don't understand that call at all.
    Correct. Makes zero sense, he’s obviously good enough for the seniors and he is obviously not sick anymore.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    It also means two weeks traveling across to eastern Europe and back for a game he knows full well at this point that Kenny won't pick him in anyway. He'll start O'Dowda, if there's anything wrong with O'Dowda he'll start McClean and if there's anything wrong with McClean he'll move Doherty across. I'd say that's it now for Manning until there's a different manager in charge.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    A bizarre squad, Manning or no Manning. Keane (12) Cannon (8), Szmodics (7) - 27 Championship goals ignored for Parrott and Idah's combined 7. How does that make any sense? Omobamidele dropped but Scales and McGrath selected.

It goes some way to explaining why every game seems a referendum on Stephen Kenny.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I think thats the point, he knows himslef and his agent more then knows it

So they are wrapping him in cotton wool
    Lots of footballers across Europe will be out of contract for games played at this time of year and are nevertheless still called up by their countries. Without really checking, I'm sure there are players within the current Ireland squad named today that meet this description, such as Doherty and McClean.

I've never seen this cited as a credible reason for a player to be left out of an Ireland squad before.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Lots of footballers across Europe will be out of contract for games played at this time of year and are nevertheless still called up by their countries. Without really checking, I'm sure there are players within the current Ireland squad named today that meet this description, such as Doherty and McClean.

I've never seen this cited as a credible reason for a player to be left out of an Ireland squad before.
    I hear u It's not credible. I would make myself available no question

But the two Irish players you have pointed out Doherty and McLean are both millionaires. Manning needs this contract for financial security

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    A bizarre squad, Manning or no Manning. Keane (12) Cannon (8), Szmodics (7) - 27 Championship goals ignored for Parrott and Idah's combined 7. How does that make any sense? Omobamidele dropped but Scales and McGrath selected.

It goes some way to explaining why every game seems a referendum on Stephen Kenny.
    Omobamidele is injured

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    But the two Irish players you have pointed out Doherty and McLean are both millionaires. Manning needs this contract for financial security
    Taylor is no millionaire, he's a non league punt who came good & won't be financially secure after a couple of years at Peterborough United, and he is also about to make a key transfer in his career at almost 25, this summer. Yet here he is, turned up to the camp and is now in the frame. So it suggests something else may be the answer here re Manning.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    You're all more trusting than me

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post

The McGrath over Szmodics selection for one, seems bizarre. McGrath is a player deemed surplus to requirements at crisis-stricken League One Wigan, with the club whom he was on loan last season, Dundee Utd, having just been relegated to the Scottish Championship.

Rhetorical point, but how many Championship clubs of the standing of Blackburn would be interested in signing McGrath?

The Manning and Cannon situations seems troubling. It's very difficult to accept their omissions at face value.

All three of our goalkeepers are on the bench at club level. Why no O'Leary?

Cullen is the only true number 6 in the squad. Why no Coventry? He was able to make room for Taylor.

Ebosele and McNally being left out also seems strange.

These are just a few early thoughts about that selection.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Sykes included as RWB cover looks odd too...

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Sykes included as RWB cover looks odd too...
    Yeah, that's odd. He has turned away a natural right back in McNamara in favour of two midfielders - Sykes and Browne. I thought Browne looked very uncomfortable at right wing back last summer, it seems very strange not to cover yourself at this point and bring McNamara, especially as he currently has nobody lined up longer term for that position with Christie jettisoned as well.

There's an awful lot that just doesn't make sense about this squad, even by Kenny's standards.

Probably just as well Liverpool don't have any more games also, or he'd be getting another rebuke from Klopp for his Kelleher comments. He may get one early in pre-season anyway.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post

McClean isn't out of contract.

I don't actually see all the fuss. We've two hugely important qualifiers upcoming. Manning obviously didn't fancy it. Cannon is dragging his heels. The likes of Hendrick, McGrath, etc are tried and tested. It's not exactly the kind of camp I'd like to see new players integrated, and important to have a bit of cohesion and get the job done with six points the aim.

Some of the above players listed were part of the training camp, Cannon turned down that trip too, so is hardly deserving of his place this time ether. O'Leary, McNamara and co were all part of that camp. If they didn't impress, they wouldn't be deserving of a place. If Sykes impressed enough to earn his place, then fair play to him.

Szmodics is a strange case, as he was involved in neither, but we don't know what's going on there, and I'm not sure was it raised in the press conference earlier?

The outrage over squad picking without a ball being kicked is nothing new, and been happening for every manager I can remember.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 01/06/2023 at 5:16 PM.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I would have said a home game against Gibraltar is exactly the kind of game you'd want to use to integrate new players. I don't think anyone was expecting Cannon or McNamara or whoever to start over in Greece or anything like that. That game will be for the tried and tested alright.

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    As usual there seems more focus on players not involved than those that are, some justified some not.

Firstly the Cannon one worries me a little. Timely tonsillitis for the training camp and now that being used to say he hasnt trained for 4 weeks, but is still expected to go to u21s squad. Doesnt make much sense to me, especially with Ogbene out. He could have been brought in to at least train with the seniors and see how he went in camp. Rightly or wrongly with the timing of this you could see a scenario where Cannon wants to see how start of season goes. Couple of early season Premiership goals and Engerland might come calling strongly. We'll see, but I do think this is more than the usual paranoia.

Manning might be sulking based on not being called up previously, and if that is the case let him off. He is a poor defender. I know he made team of the season but I think hes pretty average overall and is not going to change the fortunes of this team too much.

Szmodics is a journeyman who is just ok. He wasnt in the recent training squad and I didnt see much talk of why. Maybe he was on hols and didnt fancy it? Again, not a player who is going to change us much. I wouldnt be a huge fan of Hendrick, Browne or McGrath, but I dont think there is a huge case to same Szmodics is that much better than them. Strongest case would be against McGrath but hes not likely to play anyway.

Scales over McNamara again to me is a case of so what! Others who watch more Scottish football than me have said that Scales has prob been best defender in SPL outside of the The Old Firm. He can also cover center and left back.

Lenihan is probably the one who got the call against McNally to replace Omobamidele. Hard to argue against that really, no matter how good McNally has been.

Keane, Robinson, Hogan all have proven not good at International level, even if Robinson had one purple patch a couple years ago.

I would probably have called up Ebosele, starting games by end of season in Serie A and I think gives us something different, but other than that I think the squad is fine. There will always been some players left out that people disagree with, Id love us to get to a point where very good players are left out because others are just performing better.

None of the players left out of this squad are Prime Wes!

27. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Doubt Cannon will be staying with Everton this summer and will more than likely end up back out on loan to another championship team. If someone is in his ear, and if switching becomes a possibility we'll find out this September whether he's with the U21s or not.

If he's gonna switch he'll do it this summer imo. He'll start for their U21s and there's talk the FA want to replace Carsley with someone they feel can replace Southgate when he leaves.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Doubt Cannon will be staying with Everton this summer and will more than likely end up back out on loan to another championship team. If someone is in his ear, and if switching becomes a possibility we'll find out this September whether he's with the U21s or not.

If he's gonna switch he'll do it this summer imo. He'll start for their U21s and there's talk the FA want to replace Carsley with someone they feel can replace Southgate when he leaves.
    I dont see why Cannon wouldnt be with Everton next season. Successful loan, has already played 1st team football for them and its not like they have great strikers ahead of him. Theres every reason to think he would be with them next season unless they go on a big spending spree.

30. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Taylor is no millionaire, he's a non league punt who came good & won't be financially secure after a couple of years at Peterborough United, and he is also about to make a key transfer in his career at almost 25, this summer. Yet here he is, turned up to the camp and is now in the frame. So it suggests something else may be the answer here re Manning.
    Taylor isn't close to signing a life changing professional contract.
    He is lucky to be called up actually
    But yeah again I would be there if I was manning.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I dont see why Cannon wouldnt be with Everton next season. Successful loan, has already played 1st team football for them and its not like they have great strikers ahead of him. Theres every reason to think he would be with them next season unless they go on a big spending spree.
    I don't think it's quite so certain. He scored 8 goals in 20 games - good for the half-season loan he was on, but he's by no means passed the Championship and is ready for the PL now. They may want to see how he fares on a full-season loan when he's better known to opposition teams/defenders. Everton may have gotten a kick up the hole and spend big to avoid another relegation battle next season - and only Wolves scored less than them last season, so up front is an obvious target. It's not clear how much money they actually have though, so Cannon could be opted in as well. It's possible he may be in the squad next season, but I don't think it's as certain as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Manning [...] is a poor defender. I know he made team of the season but I think hes pretty average overall and is not going to change the fortunes of this team too much.

Scales over McNamara again to me is a case of so what!
    I think these two are linked. First off, I don't think you can so easily dismiss a player voted onto the Championship team of the season. On Scales - he may (I don't know) be the best defender outside the Old Firm, but he didn't come close to making it at Celtic, which shows how far down the rest of the division is. It's similar to dropping down a division in England.

But the problem at full-back is we've been talking for a couple of years about succession planning. Every time a squad come around, we're three months closer to losing Coleman/Doherty/Brady/McClean/Stevens. Brady and Stevens are peripheral figures at best now. Coleman is injured, Doherty is barely getting a kick. Are Sykes/Browne/O'Dowda the future? I think we have better than that out there surely. Is Scales the future, or is it more likely to be McNamara, Manning, Ebosele or even Lyons? I don't think we're really any closer to knowing tbh, and the future is getting very close now.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast