Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Games Friday 12th to Monday 15th May

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    This must have been some legendary performence by Sligo in Tallaght since yous wont stop talking about it.
    Not legendary but they looked competitive and dangerous throughout the game and I wouldn't put it down to us playing poorly as I would with others games we conceded or dropped points in. They just looked like the best team we've played. Maybe Tallaght just suits them as it did Dundalk at one point.

Shels should probably get a bit of the same credit from us. They've consistently played well against us and Moylan has levelled them up. Some run they are on now. Best they've had since 2003 I think I heard? Any Shels fans know?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Ah yes Jack Moylan, who along with Ryan Grayson were allowed leave bohs by Keith long , turning out to be really poor decisions those. I’d say every club can point to that type of error though.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    The honeymoon phase between Harps fans and Dave Rogers may be coming to an end, with the former finally realising that the latter doesn't actually s**t chocolate.

A four year deal for a fella with no senior experience who seems more concerned with taking photos at a funeral mass, buying bottles of wine and deleting his twitter account after every loss.
    He had managed a club in India, who no longer exist, and a club in America, who were last seen advertising open trials for a park league. Both would have been 'senior football' at the time.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    Ah yes Jack Moylan, who along with Ryan Grayson were allowed leave bohs by Keith long , turning out to be really poor decisions those. I’d say every club can point to that type of error though.
    How many goals has JM got now? Hes having some season so far!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    Sean Gannon being let go by Trevor Croly still hurts.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Some stat that Sean Gannon has 8 league medals from his time with Dundalk and S Rovers too. Who has the overall record I wonder for league medals?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Some stat that Sean Gannon has 8 league medals from his time with Dundalk and S Rovers too. Who has the overall record I wonder for league medals?
    He has 9, one from Pats as well. Some career. Everywhere he goes, he wins leagues. I think he holds the record but I'm open to correction.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Insert a Trump like ; I don’t like reality/another’s opinion so let’s denigrate them by name calling.

I’ve been watching Rovers for over 50 years so not saying I’m always correct but I do have a long time observing this ; I first noticed it when I went to see us play Drogheda away circa Xmas 1973…. I can still taste the feral atmosphere/vibe emanating from the locals in their desire to beat us….. as a small boy I was fascinated by it… and tbh a little be bit scared.

Also I’ve attended hundreds of matches over the years not involving Rovers and imo it’s clear to see the difference.

Anyway I’ll leave it at that , as once you get to a certain age one has less time to engage in debate….. aka I suffer from grumpy old man entitlement syndrome ?
    Ah Jack, you definitely were suffering from grumpy something there. I was rather amused by your post to be honest, I sincerely thought you enjoying the moment. No additional aggrievement was intended.

Had I realised you were feeling legitimately aggrieved I've have just scrolled on by and not assumed you were being humorous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Sligo were excellent in Tallaght- it just proves that they like all teams when playing against us ‘raise’ their game and perform above their norm.

I always feel it must be so annoying for fans of other clubs when that happens and they then revert to their norm instead of maintaining a consistency at a higher level.

I guess the desire to beat us above all clubs drives the rest of the league and of course proves why for Rovers to win a league is much more difficult than for any other club.

That’s why the league needs a strong Rovers as it helps drag standards up for others ; if only they could maintain consistent standards -but then again that’s why there’s only one Rovers
    Its a proper irritation and I can totally identify with what you are saying CJ! When a cub like Dundalk or currently Rovers are dominating league titles and even the poorest sides suddenly pull out once in a generation like performances, it does beg the question 'why not week in week out?'. Is a compliment to the dominant club - Rovers in the last decade were so wound up playing Dundalk, Burke or a Brennan saw reds, Dundalk will undoubtedly find an extra few % trying to upset a title season, Its a phenomonen that few club will really experience but Dundalk and Rovers know about it all too well. Crowds play a part in that extra effort so covid BCD wins lost something those seasons.

I would say that the league needs any of the traditional club powerbases to help drag the rest along. The current Rovers run is undoubtedly based on the determinaton to end seasons behind Dundalk and so much so that the bizzare behaviour of our owners facilitated the sgning of Dundalk league winners and so got yiz over the line in the end - took a tad longer than it should though. Cycles come and go, i'd love Dundalk perennial winners of course but the nature of LoI is that (many) dogs have thir day, its a competative league often to the detriment of European progression, but in all honesty the ability of any number of sides goig on a title challange is what keeps us engaged for years on years imo. Placid Casusal would be lost without a pesky Dundalk winning the odd league and cup. I do think Rovers will emulate the famous 4 in a row side, it hurst to say so but it also sets a benchmark!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Insert a Trump like ; I don’t like reality/another’s opinion so let’s denigrate them by name calling.

I’ve been watching Rovers for over 50 years so not saying I’m always correct but I do have a long time observing this ; I first noticed it when I went to see us play Drogheda away circa Xmas 1973…. I can still taste the feral atmosphere/vibe emanating from the locals in their desire to beat us….. as a small boy I was fascinated by it… and tbh a little be bit scared.

Also I’ve attended hundreds of matches over the years not involving Rovers and imo it’s clear to see the difference.

Anyway I’ll leave it at that , as once you get to a certain age one has less time to engage in debate….. aka I suffer from grumpy old man entitlement syndrome ?
    In youthful ignorance you may have assumed this was football related rather than a local norm!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 14/05/2023 at 8:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Know we were missing a load but the lack of any fight from those that played last night was very worrying. We were abysmal. Big game in Cork on Friday for the wrong reasons.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its a proper irritation and I can totally identify with what you are saying CJ! When a cub like Dundalk or currently Rovers are dominating league titles and even the poorest sides suddenly pull out once in a generation like performances, it does beg the question 'why not week in week out?'. Is a compliment to the dominant club - Rovers in the last decade were so wound up playing Dundalk, Burke or a Brennan saw reds, Dundalk will undoubtedly find an extra few % trying to upset a title season, Its a phenomonen that few club will really experience but Dundalk and Rovers know about it all too well. Crowds play a part in that extra effort so covid BCD wins lost something those seasons.

I would say that the league needs any of the traditional club powerbases to help drag the rest along. The current Rovers run is undoubtedly based on the determinaton to end seasons behind Dundalk and so much so that the bizzare behaviour of our owners facilitated the sgning of Dundalk league winners and so got yiz over the line in the end - took a tad longer than it should though. Cycles come and go, i'd love Dundalk perennial winners of course but the nature of LoI is that (many) dogs have thir day, its a competative league often to the detriment of European progression, but in all honesty the ability of any number of sides goig on a title challange is what keeps us engaged for years on years imo. Placid Casusal would be lost without a pesky Dundalk winning the odd league and cup. I do think Rovers will emulate the famous 4 in a row side, it hurst to say so but it also sets a benchmark!
    Ah but Nesta, you all hate us even when we are **** and that's the difference. Outside of a select few, every fanbase and team love to beat us just that bit more. You know it's true. And yet we persevere in the face of such animosity......it's.....heroic some would say.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    1 of damn few players tha Rovers, Pats and Dundalk fans possibly felt a sting stng when leaving, especially Dundalk! Id still have him back, regardless of age and the new trend of 3 at the back with wingbacks, he's sort of lad whose influence, coaching and sharing experience wth young players could be gold dust - and he is likely to fill a hole in defence if called upon, I still wonder at that cross for McEleney in the cup final where wrapping his foot around that ball caused an injury...selfless, effective and game winner - ending up on crutches lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Ah but Nesta, you all hate us even when we are **** and that's the difference. Outside of a select few, every fanbase and team love to beat us just that bit more. You know it's true. And yet we persevere in the face of such animosity......it's.....heroic some would say.
    Footaball rivalries - where would we be without them?! Hate is strong word, respect sits better. Ach I do or did (at the time) enjoy the sesne of audacity that Dundalk went all out to beat Rovers at times (PC can probably recall each time) and Cork fans who were desperate to build up a bitter rivalry - takes a bit more time and history than a few years to build a turely gritty antagonism between 2 clubs, Drogheda have done their best on the local scene, poor Monaghan United tried to do the same. Reality is clubs that have multiple titles, doubles, European 1sts/seedings will always be the ones that theres real bite between them. Do I enjoy getting one over SRFC, most definitely - as the record holders for most titles I think thats pretty much a given and the norm. But then Rovers have had everyone do their upmost to give them a legup - ground for nothing, govt backed academy, GAA told to get back in their box - ye know The Lucky Club...
    Last edited by Nesta99; 14/05/2023 at 9:02 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Footaball rivalries - where would we be without them?! Hate is strong word, respect sits better. Ach I do or did (at the time) enjoy the sesne of audacity that Dundalk went all out to beat Rovers at times (PC can probably recall each time) and Cork fans who were desperate to build up a bitter rivalry - takes a bit more time and history than a few years to build a turely gritty antagonism between 2 clubs, Drogheda have done their best on the local scene, poor Monaghan United tried to do the same. Reality is clubs that have multiple titles, doubles, European 1sts/seedings will always be the ones that theres real bite between them. Do I enjoy getting one over SRFC, most definitely - as the record holders for most titles I think thats pretty much a given and the norm. But then Rovers have had everyone do their upmost to give them a legup - ground for nothing, govt backed academy, GAA told to get back in their box - ye know The Lucky Club...
    I do enjoy a good rivalry and at least with Dundalk it's somewhat real and mutual rather than completely one way and invented as some are.

Not going near the bait you left in the last paragraph other than to say how lucky I felt traipsing out to the Morton all those years. Was delighted to hear bohs might be doing the same while the government build them a ground.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    1 of damn few players tha Rovers, Pats and Dundalk fans possibly felt a sting stng when leaving, especially Dundalk! Id still have him back, regardless of age and the new trend of 3 at the back with wingbacks, he's sort of lad whose influence, coaching and sharing experience wth young players could be gold dust - and he is likely to fill a hole in defence if called upon, I still wonder at that cross for McEleney in the cup final where wrapping his foot around that ball caused an injury...selfless, effective and game winner - ending up on crutches lol
    He's brilliant and really should have been a one club man. We ****ed that one up badly along with many other things at that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I know you are just having a wind up there Nesta but the Govt backed Academy stung a touch as like all clubs the Govt are doing feck all to help underage,,,id say we got about 5 percent of our Academy expenditure from the Govt by way of grants. Some people have questioned the money we spent over the last 6 or 7 years (particularly when we werent winning anything) but today our unders 12s won the SFAI National Championship (beat Pike Rovers from Limerick in the final ) meaning we are current holders of the 12's 13s 14's and 15s.
    The pathway is super, having said that id encourgae everyone to go and watch some of the under age games the talent accross lots of clubs is excelent, might be a bit hyperbolic to say this but i do think we are on the cusp of something fantastic over the next few years.
    Bazunu and Ferguson are just the start.

The Irish under 17s (With five hoops) beat LAtvia and Ukraine in a tournament last week, success at underage is becoming routine, we are so much better at underage then we used to be in a broad sense. The future is bright and our Senor mens team will be worth watching soon enough
    Last edited by sbgawa; 14/05/2023 at 9:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Ah Jack, you definitely were suffering from grumpy something there. I was rather amused by your post to be honest, I sincerely thought you enjoying the moment. No additional aggrievement was intended.

Had I realised you were feeling legitimately aggrieved I've have just scrolled on by and not assumed you were being humorous.
    I wasn’t feeling aggrieved just pointing out that my experience is that all clubs raise their game against us and I’d wager that if there was a poll asking which club aside from your local rivals do you most like to beat then Rovers would come out on top no matter whether we are dominating the league or bottom ( Sorry Nesta?) ….. anyway it’s just my view

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    f course I was just having a swipe at the Rovers acedemy - mainly because its the only part of SRFC that I am truly jealous of! Rolls of honour can be eclipsed as difficult as that may seem at times, stadia may be built one day, records are there to be broken, but when it comes to youth development its is THE part of SRFC that all clubs should be envious of and want to replicate. Not exclusively for ones own club but for Irish football.

I will sign off on this more placating comment, I was just getting back in to habit of posting and throwing in the odd wind up. But I once again will have very limited access to this or any fora until August - by then Im sure Dundalk and SRFC will be slugging it out for Champions League football, Cork will be bottom and UCD and St Pats will be trading punches on the play-off slot. The rest will be dog eat dog for Europe. On Europe, Dundalks seeding will get us through 2 rounds. Rovers will be lording it among the minnows of the Conference league after solid chances at EL but Bradser goes all out defence...same ols same old.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I think you fancy me Nesta. I'm very flattered.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast