Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Games Friday 12th to Monday 15th May

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Does Declan’s co-star change a bit? I noticed a different voice in the previous game against Dundalk, with a much stronger d4 accent…
    It does, yeah. Peter Branigan is the usual one but if he's not around, someone else will fill in. Did it myself once a couple of years back. I think for the Shels game recently he got a Shels fan to jump in

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Shels 2 up in Sligo....
    3-0 now. Give Duffer credit - they're having a great season so far. Only three defeats in 15 and the joint best defence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Does Declan’s co-star change a bit? I noticed a different voice in the previous game against Dundalk, with a much stronger d4 accent…
    I’m not sure as I only tune in when Rovers are playing…. Aside from enjoying the commentary last night … also have to say how wonderful the greenery/backdrop in Belfield looked in the glorious sunshine last night….

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Longford actually did pretty well for the first 20 minutes tonight, but then suddenly switched off and for the next 70 minutes they were just dreadful. Very easy for Treaty without having to do much at all to earn the goals and points. We just had to be competent enough to take advantage of all the possession, territory, and chances they gifted us.

Ugly brawl at the end of the game. Ben O'Riordan reacted badly to what looked like a harmless trip/challenge, and a load of players got involved. I thought there might be a few red cards, but in the end, just O'Riordan and Gavin Peers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Longford actually did pretty well for the first 20 minutes tonight, but then suddenly switched off and for the next 70 minutes they were just dreadful. Very easy for Treaty without having to do much at all to earn the goals and points. We just had to be competent enough to take advantage of all the possession, territory, and chances they gifted us.

Ugly brawl at the end of the game. Ben O'Riordan reacted badly to what looked like a harmless trip/challenge, and a load of players got involved. I thought there might be a few red cards, but in the end, just O'Riordan and Gavin Peers.
    Fair assessment,4 wins on the bounce ,Longford surprisingly wide open all game and tbf to Brady made several saves to keep them in it before pen and his imo harsh sending off.Byrne outstanding for Treaty in middle of park.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Longford were appalling and were flattered by the scoreline.

Jack Brady with a silly mistake from a senior player. If it wasn't for him it would have been a cricket score.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    A few weeks ago I made the mistake of bigging up sligo's chances this season, based on their 2 performances against Rovers. More fool me.
    I should have guessed that they wouldn't have the capabilities to play like that every week, and so it has come to pass.
    The 2 remaining European places up for grabs (Im assuming Rovers & Derry will make it) is anyone's guess. Pick any 2 from bohs, dundalk, pats, sligo or shels.
    Shels seem to have cast off their park-the-bus attitude in recent weeks and I would never begrudge Joey OBrien success as he's a diamond.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    A few weeks ago I made the mistake of bigging up sligo's chances this season, based on their 2 performances against Rovers. More fool me.
    I should have guessed that they wouldn't have the capabilities to play like that every week, and so it has come to pass.
    The 2 remaining European places up for grabs (Im assuming Rovers & Derry will make it) is anyone's guess. Pick any 2 from bohs, dundalk, pats, sligo or shels.
    Shels seem to have cast off their park-the-bus attitude in recent weeks and I would never begrudge Joey OBrien success as he's a diamond.
    Did the same as they looked handy against us. Very hard to say who will go on a bit of a run and get a strong hand on 3rd. Bohs have had theirs I think. Luck has turned on them and I could see them in 5th by the time they get through the tough run they have. Although that depends on two other clubs getting their **** together and I never saw bohs going top so what do I know?

I could see ourselves and Derry opening up a bit of a gap over the next month. If they get Connolly back soon that is. Fancy us to keep ahead though. We seem to have better depth than in previous seasons. UCD was a training match. Would have Cork finishing ahead of them. There are at least a couple of Premier players on Corks team. UCD...maybe some with the potential but I'd expect a FD side to put up more of a fight than they have this season.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Treaty were brilliant tonight against an utterly woeful town side, could have been double digits only for Jack Brady who then got silly albeit maybe slightly harshly sent off. No idea what the nonsense at the end was about. Strange to see Hunter doing a FD game, he's been an extremely poor addition to the LOI panel.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Thought Sligo were the best tem to visit Tallaght this season. Then won @ Pats. After that lose to Dundalk and hammered by `Shels?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    This must have been some legendary performence by Sligo in Tallaght since yous wont stop talking about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Treaty were brilliant tonight against an utterly woeful town side, could have been double digits only for Jack Brady who then got silly albeit maybe slightly harshly sent off. No idea what the nonsense at the end was about. Strange to see Hunter doing a FD game, he's been an extremely poor addition to the LOI panel.
    It was harsh I thought. A yellow would have been enough.

He pushed him away more than anything, and Curran definitely made the most of it.

Strange one as there was no needled in the game at all, and none after that until the brawl at the end, which flared up out of nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    This must have been some legendary performence by Sligo in Tallaght since yous wont stop talking about it.
    In fairness, it was a performance that if Sligo had won there wouldnt have been too many questions. I also felt that Sligo were the best of the rest and would kick on in to the top 4 and even push higher going on how they were progressing. Why it hasnt happened is anyone guess along with how Dundalk are picking up full points in games that would have been lucky to draw. Maybe Im being over critical of Dundalk performances and we are just hard to beat and unspectacular in the way we go about things. Drogheda in contrast, from what Ive seen, are hard done by by their league position as I think they have looked a better side than Dundalk, St Pats, and possibly Shels yet have been undone by late goals albeit the red cards obviously helped Dundalk against them recently.

The 12 points in our last 4 games are going to be extremely important (as all points are) with this tough run of games starting Monday night. We should be targeting 3 points against St Pats for sure, on paper maybe a result v Bohs and v Derry and Rovers anything is a bonus. We could of course click in to some consistant form against the better sides, Derry eg seem a bit brittle currently. Rovers look like they can just go through the motions and up the gears if or when needed so it will take a real performance to get points in Tallaght - not impossible but I wouldnt be throwing money on a result. Was talking to a Derry fans the other day and he had one word on Rovers 'Squad!' - that squad should win the league at a canter. Derry (and most others) suffer badly when theres an injurey to even 1 or 2 key players, Connolly a good example, Hoban, Pats without Forrester!? Rovers could cover injury to Byrne in the league, not in Europe though, the traditional achiles heel of them losing Mannus looks well covered now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Sligo were excellent in Tallaght- it just proves that they like all teams when playing against us ‘raise’ their game and perform above their norm.

I always feel it must be so annoying for fans of other clubs when that happens and they then revert to their norm instead of maintaining a consistency at a higher level.

I guess the desire to beat us above all clubs drives the rest of the league and of course proves why for Rovers to win a league is much more difficult than for any other club.

That’s why the league needs a strong Rovers as it helps drag standards up for others ; if only they could maintain consistent standards -but then again that’s why there’s only one Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    It was harsh I thought. A yellow would have been enough.
    He was sent off for a second yellow. He got his first yellow before the pen was taken for roaring in the refs face. Both of them were deserved bookings in my opinion, even if Curran made the most of it for the second yellow.

Your summing up of the game in your previous post was spot on imo. We were on top in the opening 20 mins (without creating anything clear cut) but once Treaty got on top from the 20th minute or so onwards it was one way traffic. 6 or 7 wouldn't have been a flattering result.

The flair up at the end was very silly from O'Riordan. Not sure what went through his head to do what he did, a pointless suspension to pick up with the game won. Probably should have been a couple more reds out of it too, Daly for us and 20 for Treaty were pucking the heads of each other on the ground near the tunnel. Fairly chaotic ending to what was a tame enough encounter in terms of bad challenges.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Sligo were excellent in Tallaght- it just proves that they like all teams when playing against us ‘raise’ their game and perform above their norm.

I always feel it must be so annoying for fans of other clubs when that happens and they then revert to their norm instead of maintaining a consistency at a higher level.

I guess the desire to beat us above all clubs drives the rest of the league and of course proves why for Rovers to win a league is much more difficult than for any other club.

That’s why the league needs a strong Rovers as it helps drag standards up for others ; if only they could maintain consistent standards -but then again that’s why there’s only one Rovers
    Eh Ok... Sounds like a text sent during a fever dream mixed with a weird victim mentality. Shels-eque talking constantly about how much other clubs think about them. Maybe its a Dublin thing.

Anyways, You swear Johan Cyruff himself reappeared for Sligo that night. Please, we understand Sligo had some good performances earlier in the season. As the season progresses, they might drop off. Maybe they can recapture it. Every team goes up and down, thats why we have a league system.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post

Insert Mad Max,"That's bait," GIF, please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Insert Mad Max,"That's bait," GIF, please.
    Insert a Trump like ; I don’t like reality/another’s opinion so let’s denigrate them by name calling.

I’ve been watching Rovers for over 50 years so not saying I’m always correct but I do have a long time observing this ; I first noticed it when I went to see us play Drogheda away circa Xmas 1973…. I can still taste the feral atmosphere/vibe emanating from the locals in their desire to beat us….. as a small boy I was fascinated by it… and tbh a little be bit scared.

Also I’ve attended hundreds of matches over the years not involving Rovers and imo it’s clear to see the difference.

Anyway I’ll leave it at that , as once you get to a certain age one has less time to engage in debate….. aka I suffer from grumpy old man entitlement syndrome ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Eh Ok... Sounds like a text sent during a fever dream mixed with a weird victim mentality. Shels-eque talking constantly about how much other clubs think about them. Maybe its a Dublin thing.

Anyways, You swear Johan Cyruff himself reappeared for Sligo that night. Please, we understand Sligo had some good performances earlier in the season. As the season progresses, they might drop off. Maybe they can recapture it. Every team goes up and down, thats why we have a league system.
    Maybe time to cut down on the Ovaltine before bedtime…. If my thought dreams could be seen they’d probably put my head in a guillotine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    He was sent off for a second yellow. He got his first yellow before the pen was taken for roaring in the refs face. Both of them were deserved bookings in my opinion, even if Curran made the most of it for the second yellow.
    Fair enough, I missed the first yellow so when he went off I thought it must have been a straight red.
    Last edited by osarusan; 14/05/2023 at 7:21 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast