Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 28th April to 1st of May

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Dundalk were woeful tonight. Managed to go from 2 up against ten men to struggling to a draw and then nicking three points. We are so slow and laboured, I’ve never seen a team just play it around the back with no impetus, well not since last week in Tolka.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Have to say very very poor by Dundalk for 45 mins of the second half, lucky for us and John Martin that chance came on 90+1, possibly the only decent move of the half too.

Drogs did not deserve to lose that, but we won, and we move on, questions still there but a win and 3 points, move on to Monday and UCD away, if we can win its obv 6 points from BH w/e.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rovers were poor this evening and Sligo really should feel they left 3 behind them. Will take it though as left pts behind in all other games!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Some absolute vermin up in the Brandywell again tonight. Firstly not providing a food truck specifically for away fans resulted in some kids in pats get getting jumped at half time. Then after the final whistle while being held back a group of Derry fans jump over the wall beside the away end to throw glass bottles at the pats fans. Then another group of them push open a gate that wasn’t closed by security and both sets of fans clashed on the grass behind that goal. It was quite funny when the little jumped up knackers got ran back out of the ground by retaliating pats fans but my god Derry have a massive security issue up there. I know they don’t have PSNI up there but opting for a completely inept and seemingly untrained security firm is surely not the answer. Surely games behind closed doors or a reduced capacity will need to be looked at if they can’t provide adequate safety for supporters within their own ground
    Paaatrick's Agletic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    On the pitch, a fully deserved win for Derry. I thought pats were poor but having said that Derry still failed to score from open play with the goals coming from a penalty and a corner. Lyness pulled off some great saves in the first half but second half there was very little chances in the game aside from the goals. I’d rather see Derry win the league than rovers but comparing rovers performance last week with anything I’ve seen from Derry so far, they appear to be levels above them performance wise
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Bohs were terrible last night, passing was abysmal and slow, lacked intensity and initiative. Need Coote back quickly. I've seen a few quotes about the condition of the pitch, it was the same for both teams and UCD were able to string passes together, this was purely because Bohs stood back off them. Need to up the Ante big style on Monday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Certainly didn’t deserve to lose that but need to take your chances. Played some lovely stuff. The good pitch really suited us. Shams just more clinical then us. Lovely finishes for the 2 goals. Think we would have won if Hartmann was fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Kerry's first foray into the U17 league in 2016 was a difficult season. Senior level is naturally going to be under more scrutiny.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Certainly didn’t deserve to lose that but need to take your chances. Played some lovely stuff. The good pitch really suited us. Shams just more clinical then us. Lovely finishes for the 2 goals. Think we would have won if Hartmann was fit.
    Agree but as already said last night helped redress all the previous games where we should of won but only drew- most interesting duel last night was Pico v Mata ; can’t remember when I last saw a centre forward who was able to match Pico for physicality - I’d say both of them have a few brusies/lumps today nothing dirty ( aside from Bolger doing his usual sneaky hard man act but that’s another story) just good old fashioned toe to toe - based on his performance Mata could well be a potential replacement/addition to Gaffney

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Good result for Treaty and comprehensive in the end,hardly cause for belief in terms of playoff ambitions.For the most part in spite of the scoreline it was muck ,the bit of class only coming from Alec Byrne and the lively Dean George,Kerrys penalty miss and the rebound cleared off the line coupled with Treaty scoring seconds later a big factor in the game.Kerry tbf are giving their local talent a chance ,obviously baby steps in terms of developement as evidenced by the very poor defending all game so big learning curves ahead ,the decent away following appeciated the efforts the players gave.Att around 500 /600 id say and maybe one local in the Treaty team ,few in the squad.btw embarassing to see no stretcher for Colin Kelly when injured.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Some absolute vermin up in the Brandywell again tonight. Firstly not providing a food truck specifically for away fans resulted in some kids in pats get getting jumped at half time. Then after the final whistle while being held back a group of Derry fans jump over the wall beside the away end to throw glass bottles at the pats fans. Then another group of them push open a gate that wasn’t closed by security and both sets of fans clashed on the grass behind that goal. It was quite funny when the little jumped up knackers got ran back out of the ground by retaliating pats fans but my god Derry have a massive security issue up there. I know they don’t have PSNI up there but opting for a completely inept and seemingly untrained security firm is surely not the answer. Surely games behind closed doors or a reduced capacity will need to be looked at if they can’t provide adequate safety for supporters within their own ground
    Can I just say whilst largely in agreement with your post there was a small group of Pats lads who came toward the chippy area looking for trouble during the 1st half in fact a few of them tried to start a few kids several years their young (by kids i do mean children) and ended up getting slapped because of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Agree but as already said last night helped redress all the previous games where we should of won but only drew- most interesting duel last night was Pico v Mata ; can’t remember when I last saw a centre forward who was able to match Pico for physicality - I’d say both of them have a few brusies/lumps today nothing dirty ( aside from Bolger doing his usual sneaky hard man act but that’s another story) just good old fashioned toe to toe - based on his performance Mata could well be a potential replacement/addition to Gaffney
    Mata puts in a serious shift every game. Maybe lacking a yard of pace might be the only thing. Was a great battle between the 2 of them. Not sure what Bolger did but it looked like Towell was just sent on to take fellas out of it.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Ye were much better than the first match. The num 11 was a real handful. We just shaded it with more chances but can't complain at a draw
    Jamal Ibrahim was our no 11. His first first team start in a good few weeks. He was electric all night long!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Give it a break Aido ..getting embarrassing at this stage . The mighty junior players want to stay at pike Fairview and the go to it is what it is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Mata puts in a serious shift every game. Maybe lacking a yard of pace might be the only thing. Was a great battle between the 2 of them. Not sure what Bolger did but it looked like Towell was just sent on to take fellas out of it.
    Bolger took Byrne out mid through first half plus numerous slightly late tackles ( he’s a fine player but has always had that ‘inner gurrier’ mentality that takes away from the rest of his game )…. As for Towell , this season he seems to be reinventing himself as some sort of ‘all round action’ man ….. unfortunately he’s incapable of tackling correctly as shown by the silly tackle on Bolger that ironically looked innocuous but put him out of the game… aside from that he’s greatly improved this year and is now a real asset (again)

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Sligo were brave on Friday, numerous times i said to my mate beside me to look accross the line and it was often 4 sligo forwards against the 3 Rovers centrebacks with Farrugia and Clarke way forward.
    They let the Rovers wingbacks go stayed forward hence the numerous chances they had...on thr other hand Clarke scored as he was so far forward and Rovers looked dangerous as well.
    Made for a good match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Dundalk were woeful tonight. Managed to go from 2 up against ten men to struggling to a draw and then nicking three points. We are so slow and laboured, I’ve never seen a team just play it around the back with no impetus, well not since last week in Tolka.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knocklyonhoop View Post
    Rovers were poor this evening and Sligo really should feel they left 3 behind them. Will take it though as left pts behind in all other games!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    On the pitch, a fully deserved win for Derry. I thought pats were poor but having said that Derry still failed to score from open play with the goals coming from a penalty and a corner. Lyness pulled off some great saves in the first half but second half there was very little chances in the game aside from the goals. I’d rather see Derry win the league than rovers but comparing rovers performance last week with anything I’ve seen from Derry so far, they appear to be levels above them performance wise
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Bohs were terrible last night, passing was abysmal and slow, lacked intensity and initiative. Need Coote back quickly. I've seen a few quotes about the condition of the pitch, it was the same for both teams and UCD were able to string passes together, this was purely because Bohs stood back off them. Need to up the Ante big style on Monday
    Wow! We might have an actual consensus on the worst quality season ever.

Calling top 4 settling in to some sort of order, was premature (patsdad ), tope 3 maybe though I still think Bohs will fade albeit still comfortably european spot imo. Dundalk lucky to get 3 points, Sligo not getting something, UCD nabbing a point v te current table toppers - may not be dead and buried in automatic relegation. Mad that for a bunch of clubs 2 wins and on the coat tails at the top, 2 losses and looking over the shoulder at a playoff spot. Its certainly intriguing but there is a sense that there's a generalised regression of clubs in terms of overall quality. No excuse for Rovers and Derry mind, they should be storming away really - they will in due course but even at this stage consistancy is sketchy still.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Wow! We might have an actual consensus on the worst quality season ever.
    Was thinking the exact same thing. It’s a bit of an indictment that Rovers and Derry have been below par and yet are still 2nd and 3rd. I fully expect that sooner or later they’ll both find their form and pull well away from the pack.

Interested to see how Bohs perform against Cork on Monday. The full time pros have been outplayed in their last 2 by the part time Drogs and UCD. Is it just a blip, or are they reverting back to their mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    On the standard I was thinking recently it would be highly unlikely the current top 3 will change in terms of finishing there, but stranger things can happen.

It will take a huge collapse and downturn in form for Bohs to move from 1st to 4th for example, but 2 defeats and wins for chasing pack could change all of that, that said I think Bohs have enough momentum built to finish top 3, but again the two defeats thing that can happen any club could change things.

Realistically, the chasing pack are looking at 4th and a top 3 winning the cup (80% chance is fair to say) and that gets final euro spot ? so who is best placed for that?

1/ Pats - good squad, home support has increased but losing a good few key games.
    2/ Shels - I'm not sure they can finish 4th, but they are dogged.
    3/ Sligo - Hot and cold, they have a chance, Max is the man to score, so always good to have that.
    4/ Then ourselves, left Dundalk last on purpose, yes 6 players out injured including big ones too in Boyle / Kelly / Sloggett / Annesely, all bar last one expected back soon, Mountney gone for season, but one more injury for Hoban and we are goosed, also form and results not great, so I don't see us (for now) anywhere close to 4th, positives, young local lad Ryan O'Kane is one fire, scored last Fri, Hoban back to his best (if he stays fit), ................but this team seems to be a serious work in progress, made huge work out of beating 10 man Drogs, who did not deserve to lose on fri, but its 3 points. I still don't see us finishing 4th, maybe 5th, but will need to improve so much.
    Last edited by oriel; 30/04/2023 at 9:12 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    On the standard I was thinking recently it would be highly unlikely the current top 3 will change in terms of finishing there, but stranger things can happen.

It will take a huge collapse and downturn in form for Bohs to move from 1st to 4th for example, but 2 defeats and wins for chasing pack could change all of that, that said I think Bohs have enough momentum built to finish top 3, but again the two defeats thing that can happen any club could change thing.
    You wouldn’t be so confident about Bohs if you had seen them on Friday - they were dreadful. Easily outplayed by UCD. And Drogs the previous week.
    Bohs are only 8 points off 4th. With 24 matches to go I wouldn’t be confident at all of them finishing in the top 3. Maybe Coote coming back will give them an injection though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast