Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: UCD 0-0 Longford Town

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts

UCD 0-0 Longford Town

Robbie Martin missed a second half penalty to deny UCD all three points in a relatively entertaining encounter in Belfield Park. Having scored from the spot in both of College's previous two games, Martin assumed the responsibility again after Pat McWalter had been upended, but his kick crashed off the underside of the bar and was cleared to safety.

The first half had been a quiet enough affair, with neither side really posing any threat to the opposite goal - a succession of corners was about as dangerous as it got. However, in the second half, the game opened up, although in the end, a draw was probably fair. Longford's best chance came midway through the half when a long range drive was superbly tipped away by Darren Quigley, while Robbie Martin saw a snap shot from the edge of the area turned away by O'Brien in the Longford goal. Then, with 15 minutes to go, Pat McWalter broke into the penalty area and rounded Stephen O'Brien - Digger dragged McWalter down and the referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty. Fortunately for O'Brien, one or two of the Longford defenders had covered back, and the ref deemed a yellow card a fit punishment. However, Martin's kick came back off the bar and was cleared to safety.

With ten minutes remaining, UCD game Conan Byrne his debut after 11 goals in 5 games for the U-21s. He made an impact as the game continued to open up, curling a long range effort just wide. However, perhaps unsurprisingly, two of the division's least lethal strike forces ended up having to settle for a scoreless draw.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, McEniff (C Byrne), Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, Hurley (Gannon), Dicker, O'Donnell; Martin, McWalter. Subs not used - W Doyle, Dupuy, Gallagher

Att - 350
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 13/08/2005 at 3:32 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    pineapple

For future reference show Conan Byrne as C Byrne othewise we might confuse him with that other Under 21's Scoring Legend Paul Byrne hereafter to be known in line-ups as P Byrne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Argh, didn't realise we'd missed a penalty. Glad to see Conan Byrne already getting into things. How does he look? Big, small? Fast?

What's the deal with the attendence? Even less than Harps. How many Longford fans? Is this just down to summer football?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We can lay the blame for the penalty miss at the group of fans standing beside me who yelled at Robbie "Give it a bit of height and you'll be grand". 2 minutes after the miss the keeper turned around and started slagging off the fan who said hit it high, pretty hilarious, the highlight of the match if you will. Tony McDonnell was awful.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts
    I thought it was a flat game that could have done with more goal mouth action as the Longford team seemed reluctant to shoot when an opening appeared and carried the ball too long when attacking.

half time teams could'nt be split either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Glad to see Conan Byrne already getting into things. How does he look? Big, small? Fast?
    Looks handy. Got away a good shot or two, was keen to make runs through the middle and tell people where he wanted the ball. Problem now is can we keep all the forwards happy? Willie Doyle and Damo were on the bench as well last night, and you've also got Paul Byrne, John Brophy and Conor Sammon. I reckon one or two forwards will leave at the end of the season.

How many Longford fans?
    About 100.
    Is this just down to summer football?
    Hope so! Plenty of people who I didn't see again - I'm assuming holidays. Even most of the committee missed the game for holidays!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el tk
    2 minutes after the miss the keeper turned around and started slagging off the fan who said hit it high, pretty hilarious, the highlight of the match if you will.
    Classic Digger!

In fairness, the peno was very similar to the one he scored against Bohs. Didn't really see the Harps one (people on the D in the way). Think it's just one of those things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What really hurt was that I was thinking of backing the draw at 3-1 but decided I couldn't back against my own team. That fukcing peno miss. Ouch..... Anyway, I stand by my staying up statement so I'm happy enough.
    "I always likened him to a Rolls Royce. You just used him once a week & he'd be flawless"
    Townsend on McGrath