Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1154

Thread: LOI in Europe 2023

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Should be noted as well that the LoI won't be in the Youth League for the first time. Pat's were the champions but we were ranked 40th, and that won't be enough to qualify.

I think this year's U17 (not U19) champions qualify - was that on here? We'll be ranked 36th for that and that gives a much better chance of qualifying.

So that is the European campaign over bar finding out how the coefficient ends up. Derry with a win against the league ranked below us is a nice boost of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Their keeper was a gobsh1te also! Harsh way to go out considering the performance overall. Thats the benchmark for Derry now, they can wallow or kick on. Might be a bit of an ask to dig a result out in the cup but the league challange is still well on for them if they want it. Its not a good result for Rovers who could have done with Derry having their focus on a few fronts unless they suddenly improve performances. Not ignoring other challangers, I just think Derry still have the greatest potential to win the league and if they play like tonight for the remainder of the season they wont be far off.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 17/08/2023 at 10:01 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    The league sits 32nd at the moment. It looks favourable for a top 33 finish and a Europa League place for 2025. I'd expect Kazakhstan to overtake us as Astana have a favourable draw, but for us to stay ahead of Kosovo and Finland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Am I right in saying that Derry winning 1-0 in 90 mins tonight will help their own club coefficient but will do nothing really for the league's coefficient? (I could very likely be wrong on this one)
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    They left that one behind them,the Kazak's were very poor I thought,Maher was a spectator for alot of the game....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    No it's the opposite. As mentioned by holidaying the win is huge for the league's co-efficient bringing us above Latvia and Armenia and in to 32nd. Giving us a decent chance of finishing in the top 33 unless two of the Kazaks, Kosovons or Fins pick up another couple results with the team's remaining.

The club co-efficient is based on the round you reach so getting knocked out on pens is the same new result as losing both legs.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Well that was ****ing horrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    A night to love football. A night to hate football. That's the game we love.

An amazing atmosphere in Tallaght. More than 3,000 Derry heads down on a week night is a great turnout considering. And the noise - totally electric boogaloo for near 2.5 hours. A real throwback feel to the Kenny European nights of '06, pure magic.

I thought we were sensational for long stretches in the first 60. O'Reilly was fantastic. Mickey Duffy is in top gear right now. Patching and McGonigle look like they've found themselves again. Tool were dire, and I thought we made them look that way.

As the game wore on, we lost our shape, got leggy and stretched. Tobol were happy slowing it down and we couldn't get our foot back on our throat. And, as mentioned, we simply haven't been clinical enough once again - not just in front of goal, but our crossing/passing from promising attacking areas remains totally inconsistent.

We didn't get what we deserved but football is cruel and football is also wonderful. It was that kind of night.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    The league sits 32nd at the moment. It looks favourable for a top 33 finish and a Europa League place for 2025. I'd expect Kazakhstan to overtake us as Astana have a favourable draw, but for us to stay ahead of Kosovo and Finland.
    I'd fancy Kosovo to pass us as well; they've a playoff against BATE Borisov, who are a shadow of the team they once were; sanctions aren't helping at all there. Wouldn't rule out the Faroes either; a home win against Sheriff, a defeat in aggregate and a couple of group stage results would do it. Probably just that bit too far behind, but KÍ's form has been exceptional. Bosnia are guaranteed a team in the groups too and have a playoff tie against LASK Linz. And even Iceland - with only three teams, so each result is worth more - have Breidablik in a playoff against Struga of North Macedonia to make the Conference League groups. We already know Breidablik > Rovers > Struga. Those sides would probably all need something like two wins and a draw in the groups to pass us out - it's a lot, but not impossible.

HJK had three goes at getting into the groups and could conceivably lose all six matches, which would be quite the break for us. And did well to sneak ahead of Armenia and Latvia at the death alright
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 18/08/2023 at 7:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    [QUOTE=SwanVsDalton;2158569
    I thought we were sensational for long stretches in the first 60. O'Reilly was fantastic. Mickey Duffy is in top gear right now. Patching and McGonigle look like they've found themselves again. Tool were dire, and I thought we made them look that way.

As the game wore on, we lost our shape, got leggy and stretched. Tobol were happy slowing it down and we couldn't get our foot back on our throat. And, as mentioned, we simply haven't been clinical enough once again - not just in front of goal, but our crossing/passing from promising attacking areas remains totally inconsistent.
    .[/QUOTE]

Patching's injury and being cautious with o'Reilly on a yellow was a turning point. McEleney clearly isn't fit and looks like he can't do anymore than 60mins a week, we couldn't replace O'Reillys energy and drive. Looked like the one extra journey over Tobol's affected the legs in the latter part of the game. We made them look poor over two legs, I'll be surprised if they aren't walloped in the next round. As for the pens, surprised at one player not stepping up to take a pen, and although Ben Doherty had the balls to take the 5th, his record on penalties should've meant he was nowhere near the first 5. But I'm sure you'd need to have some balls as a coach to tell someone they're11th on the list lol.

Anyhow, I wouldn't have made anymore trips to Dublin after last night if we'd won, just not practical for me financially and with work commitments. Watching us play a home game in Tallaght was embarrassing, made me question everything about the the LOI, UEFA and European football and whether I really am a supporter compared to those around me who seemed quite happy paying all that money to get to the game. UEFA simply don't do the 'magic of the cup '.
    Last edited by lofty9; 18/08/2023 at 7:58 AM.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Patching's injury and being cautious with o'Reilly on a yellow was a turning point. McEleney clearly isn't fit and looks like he can't do anymore than 60mins a week, we couldn't replace O'Reillys energy and drive. Looked like the one extra journey over Tobol's affected the legs in the latter part of the game. We made them look poor over two legs, I'll be surprised if they aren't walloped in the next round. As for the pens, surprised at one player not stepping up to take a pen, and although Ben Doherty had the balls to take the 5th, his record on penalties should've meant he was nowhere near the first 5. But I'm sure you'd need to have some balls as a coach to tell someone they're11th on the list lol.

Anyhow, I wouldn't have made anymore trips to Dublin after last night if we'd won, just not practical for me financially and with work commitments. Watching us play a home game in Tallaght was embarrassing, made me question everything about the the LOI, UEFA and European football and whether I really am a supporter compared to those around me who seemed quite happy paying all that money to get to the game. UEFA simply don't do the 'magic of the cup '.
    I didn't have to pay in last night and the trip of half the journey still set me back about 50 good through parking, grub and fuel. Can't imagine the cost for a family from Derry last night.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Didn't Derry nominate Tallaght as the ground at the start of the competition should they progress to this round? Surely some of the blame should lie at the club's feet if that's the case. Not 100% sure if they could have nominated Windsor from the get go but can understand UEFAs reluctance to allow a change of nominated venue at short notice. A change of venue in Ireland probably wouldn't be a big deal for teams coming to Ireland but imagine travelling to a larger country like Russia or Germany and the ground being changed at relatively short notice. Could be a logistical nightmare for the visiting team and give the home team a significant advantage if they planned it in advance. Ultimately it looks like Derry didn't plan with their own supporters in mind and that's a great shame because as you can see from the support last night there was a massive amount of passion for the team there. Can only imagine what it would have been like with a more reasonable location

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Didn't Derry nominate Tallaght as the ground at the start of the competition should they progress to this round? Surely some of the blame should lie at the club's feet if that's the case. Not 100% sure if they could have nominated Windsor from the get go but can understand UEFAs reluctance to allow a change of nominated venue at short notice. A change of venue in Ireland probably wouldn't be a big deal for teams coming to Ireland but imagine travelling to a larger country like Russia or Germany and the ground being changed at relatively short notice. Could be a logistical nightmare for the visiting team and give the home team a significant advantage if they planned it in advance. Ultimately it looks like Derry didn't plan with their own supporters in mind and that's a great shame because as you can see from the support last night there was a massive amount of passion for the team there. Can only imagine what it would have been like with a more reasonable location
    Only reasonable location for playing a team in a non group stage is the Brandywell. If it's good enough for previous 2 rounds it's good enough for a 3rd at least. It's a nonsense . On the club, Derry City don't plan anything with their supporters in mind, never do when it comes to Europe. It's a business for them, end of, which is fair enough. Pricing is always too high but they know they have a loyal 3k.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Only reasonable location for playing a team in a non group stage is the Brandywell. If it's good enough for previous 2 rounds it's good enough for a 3rd at least. It's a nonsense . On the club, Derry City don't plan anything with their supporters in mind, never do when it comes to Europe. It's a business for them, end of, which is fair enough. Pricing is always too high but they know they have a loyal 3k.
    I disagree on stadium standards TBH. At some stage the standards have to be raised and the earlier the higher standards are introduced the better. Afaik it's not just seating but parking and press areas that increase as you progress which makes sense since you will likely find the more you progress with these things the higher profile the teams you meet are and they will potentially bring more media members, more supporters etc that justify the increase in the additional things. If you leave it until the group stages you could end up with clashes if more than 1 team needs to use the same stadium, or there is no stadium that meets the minimum requirement within the country and that requires UEFA to grant a dispensation on some of the requirements etc. Bringing these decisions in earlier let's teams plan appropriately and also pushes teams, local associations etc to stop putting infrastructure items on the long finger. It's a necessary evil imo.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    In my entire time supporting them, probably about 20 years now, I have never known Derry City FC under any board to have done anything with any thought for the fans. Frankly it’s seemed they’ve often treated most of us as a burden ot inconvenience rather than an asset.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    In my entire time supporting them, probably about 20 years now, I have never known Derry City FC under any board to have done anything with any thought for the fans. Frankly it’s seemed they’ve often treated most of us as a burden ot inconvenience rather than an asset.
    I never knew that. Crazy approach because the fans and the local community are the heartbeat of the club

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    I had no idea things were that bad up in Derry. Judging by the atmosphere last night (I decided to head along myself) you’ve got one of the best fanbases in the league! I couldn’t believe how many travelled! I certainly heard a few local accents but the vast majority had travelled down from Derry - incredible support!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    So what's the point of Derry City Football Club if it's fans are an inconvenience? They've hardly been swimming in success in the last 20 years, what was the plan to grow before they were backed by a billionaire? What's the plan to grow the club now? Are they investing in training grounds, the underage teams and possibly women's teams? Is there anything being done to increase fan engagement? A club like Derry really could be a good self sustaining club if managed correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    This is madly hyperbolic and I'd have ignored it if not for the fact people are picking up on it.

By all means be critical, running a club and facilitating every fan are often in conflict, but the board - both now and in the recent past - have mostly featured people who are primarily fans giving up their time and would happily step aside for other people willing to give up their time.

In that respect, Derry are no different than most other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I had no idea things were that bad up in Derry. Judging by the atmosphere last night (I decided to head along myself) you’ve got one of the best fanbases in the league! I couldn’t believe how many travelled! I certainly heard a few local accents but the vast majority had travelled down from Derry - incredible support!
    It's not that bad. Glad you enjoyed the night.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    What's the plan to grow the club now? Are they investing in training grounds, the underage teams and possibly women's teams? Is there anything being done to increase fan engagement? A club like Derry really could be a good self sustaining club if managed correctly.
    There are plans for a physical academy centre, in conjunction with the university, which are progressing along apparently. It could also serve as a training ground.
    There is next to no fan engagement. We have the AGM, where shareholders will be updated on things, with a little bit of engagement after, but there's nothing on a regular basis, nor will there be.
    With the present ownership, the club is basically under a benevolent dictatorship. Yes, bit more fan engagement would be nice, but when there's someone putting in millions, you kind of have to go along with whatever they want.
    What they want happens to be spending lots of the squad, building a new stand/terrace, a new academy, and nice things like charter flights and overnight hotels in Dublin. Most fans are happy enough with that.

Gutting stuff last night. Watched back on the Cian Kavanagh miss, it didn't look as bad as it was live. Still bad though.

There is very little between ourselves and Tobol, so maybe we can't have too many complaints. Story of our season, but if we could just take our chances, we'd be flying. It's a decent campaign overall, though that was a great chance to get to the playoff round.

Pat's will have been delighted with the ET last night. Serious job to turn ourselves around for Sunday.

25. Thanks From: