Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI in Europe 2023

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Suppose it is really, but then again LOI tv is €7, probably more overheads. However just saw Pats away in Lux is costing €27 match ticket (at the game) most seats - that's just mental. FAI Cup Final premium was €25-30.

Our game in Sunny Gibraltar (match ticket) cost a very fair GBP10.00, now that's good value.
    Presumably Luxembourg is expensive for everything?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    If you skip towards the end of the most recent Between the Stripes LOI podcast there's a full European preview segment. Link here: https://betweenthestripes.net/bts-20...ien-whitmarsh/
    Am I the only one missing a rewind option? I wanted to skip to the end to listen, but there is only a Play button.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Apart from the international team, tracking the LOI teams in Europe is far and away me favourite part of the season. Barely watch any other football, so the season really starts tonight.

Pats (best one-off performances) and Rovers did well last year, though Rovers understandably faded a bit.. Watched the bohs rovers game a few weeks ago and while it was an exciting match and scoreline, there was a lot of sloppiness, so not too many experienced European sides would be scared at the prospect of playing against the current Rovers team. I hope I'm wrong and the Icelanders get lashed out of it, but even if Jack is back, tonight is shaping up to be a proper test.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Suppose it is really, but then again LOI tv is €7, probably more overheads. However just saw Pats away in Lux is costing €27 match ticket (at the game) most seats - that's just mental. FAI Cup Final premium was €25-30.
    Pat's tickets sold out I believe; club saying to buy at the gate but don't wear colours if you haven't got a ticket yet.

Which seems a bit daft cos I know when we played there, there was a bigger crowd in the Bowl than in Dudelange. I'm sure it's far from a sell-out overall.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyHD View Post
    Am I the only one missing a rewind option? I wanted to skip to the end to listen, but there is only a Play button.
    There's definitely a wee toggle there you can drag forwards and backwards, if you've got Spotify, apple, Google podcasts or Amazon music there's a direct link on the site to those platforms as well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Hopefully… Main and South stands are sold out
    That would be around 5,000 so far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    That would be around 5,000 so far!
    Rovers announced it was 6,250 yesterday. Presumably looking at over 7,000 there tonight.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    HB Tórshavn said they'll have a stream, but haven't given the details yet.
    Live on LOITV on Thursday for €10
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    May as well introduce the aul coefficient into things!

We ended last season in 36th, but with 2018/19 now dropping off, we're up to 32nd before a ball is kicked.

It's probably going to be hard to rise further than that this year though. Liechtenstein are 0.125 above us - if Vaduz, who made the group stages last year, have another good year, then they'll fly up the rankings as there's only one Liechtenstein club. They play Neman Grodno of Belarus - they've never won a match in Europe (or even scored an away goal), and lost to an Icelandic side on their last appearance 8 years ago.

Then Moldova are 1.75 points ahead; they've outscored us the last two years so are in good form. Sheriff have a tough tie in the Champions League though, against the Romanian champions Farul Constanta. In the Conference League first round they have sides from San Marino, Lithuania - and a bye into the second round, which will help us of course.

Then Azerbaijan are next, 4.875 ahead of us. Not a chance of catching up there.

Looking behind us, Finland and Slovenia are on the exact same score as us, Latvia are 0.375 behind, Kosovo - who are improving - are 0.834 behind, and then we've a full point over Armenia and Kazakhstan.

So probably looking at ending the year in the 30-34 rank? But next season (when our 36th rank kicks in) our Cup winners will be getting a bye in the first round and that'll allow other countries catch up. We're ranked 40th for this season, which is the highest point at which all three Conference League teams start in the first round.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Presumably Luxembourg is expensive for everything?
    As I recall, not insanely expensive eg Norway-style, but certainly not cheap either.

I've heard that a lot of EU workers choose to live in Germany, Belgium or other neighbouring countries and commute in daily. I assume that cost-of-living in Luxy is a factor.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    However just saw Pats away in Lux is costing €27 match ticket (at the game) most seats - that's just mental. FAI Cup Final premium was €25-30
    We only got charged €20 for the Ireland away match there a couple of years back, big difference there.

HB Tórshavn charged roughly €15 for our match. We're charging £25 for the home one, again. Price hasn't gone up in five years, is one way of looking at that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    We only got charged €20 for the Ireland away match there a couple of years back, big difference there.

HB Tórshavn charged roughly €15 for our match. We're charging £25 for the home one, again. Price hasn't gone up in five years, is one way of looking at that.
    £25 still feels high now. Back in the before-times when Covid, war and rampant inflation were all just a fever dream, it must have seemed insansely high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    As I recall, not insanely expensive eg Norway-style, but certainly not cheap either.

I've heard that a lot of EU workers choose to live in Germany, Belgium or other neighbouring countries and commute in daily. I assume that cost-of-living in Luxy is a factor.
    It's not that cheap alright although it's similar enough to Ireland really. Main course in the average restaurant is around €25-30 in the places I've seen. Drink is around €5 for the local beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Apart from the international team, tracking the LOI teams in Europe is far and away me favourite part of the season. Barely watch any other football, so the season really starts tonight.

Pats (best one-off performances) and Rovers did well last year, though Rovers understandably faded a bit.. Watched the bohs rovers game a few weeks ago and while it was an exciting match and scoreline, there was a lot of sloppiness, so not too many experienced European sides would be scared at the prospect of playing against the current Rovers team. I hope I'm wrong and the Icelanders get lashed out of it, but even if Jack is back, tonight is shaping up to be a proper test.
    Sligo did very well as last year. Can't remember Pat's results but yeah love watching these games
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    £25 still feels high now. Back in the before-times when Covid, war and rampant inflation were all just a fever dream, it must have seemed insansely high.
    It was insanely high back then when our club had a reputation for gross misjudgements on all things supporter related (this is a reputation they have not shaken but that’s a different matter) however they weathered the storm on the £25 Euro tickets so would be little logic in reducing it now when it’s up to £17 per league match ticket anyway. £25 to watch Derry v a team from the the Faroes is of course still expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Lincoln of Gibraltar 1-0 up on Qarabag at halftime

Dundalk can't take the pub team too lightly on Thursday I think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Pats have secured streaming rights to the game tomorrow, it'll be on LOI TV. Seems like that's an impressive feat to manage with these lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Lincoln of Gibraltar 1-0 up on Qarabag at halftime

Dundalk can't take the pub team too lightly on Thursday I think
    2-1 down now. Conceded in 94th minute. Think there is a gulf in class between the Red Imps and the rest of the teams in that league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Pats have secured streaming rights to the game tomorrow, it'll be on LOI TV. Seems like that's an impressive feat to manage with these lot.
    https://twitter.com/stpatsfc/status/...Zrr-HcNZQ&s=19

€10 on Loi TV but free on St Pats app? That's a typo surely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    2-1 down now. Conceded in 94th minute. Think there is a gulf in class between the Red Imps and the rest of the teams in that league.
    Big gap, yeah. But a big gap between Qarabag and Dundalk too. I'd say Dundalk would be happy with a repeat of that on Thursday tbh.

Rovers team is in - Mannus on the bench, but Byrne starts

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast