Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Weekend 14th to 16th April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Too early to say that I think when any win seems to lift you halfway up the table.

But certainly five defeats in a row would have to be a worry. Especially with a Euro campaign coming up.

Hoban not making any impression this season?
    He's (was) out injured and badly missed! Our did in form coincided with him being unavailable so how our season pans out could be based on his keeping fit. I thnk we are too good for a relegation battle as the seaso progresses but decent sides have been relegated when unable to break out of a rut. Late goals have cost is 4/6points which would be 3rd or even 2nd so fine margins. Losing to Cork was like being 3 up and throwing it away also. So poor yet dropped points....they are adding up and turning European contention in to relegation zone stuff.

As a club that has a loose cannon on the PA and has cringed by some of the antics, that Bohs announcement is somethig i'd expect from a neighbouring nuisance like Drogheda or formerly Monaghan so super affs stuff. The remote control bus was funny, nice and accurate crashing in to ref and the guy controlling it did not look pleased so deliverate childish behaviour imo
    Last edited by Nesta99; 16/04/2023 at 4:49 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Really surprised to read the bit about the goalkeeping. Talbot was poor again tonight, was poor against rovers and has looked jittery the few games I've seen this season. Even in the warm-up vs Rovers he looked dodgy. I'd be on the verge of dropping him to be honest.
    It’s amazing how goalkeepers can go from great to a liability in no time. Talbot was the best in the league a few years ago at one point but has been dodgy now for a while.
    Similar thing happened to De Gea years ago. He was one of the best in the world at one stage and within a year he was a total calamity. Casillas too was probably the best in the world and within a couple of seasons he became so terrible Real had to sell him to the Portuguese league.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    It’s amazing how goalkeepers can go from great to a liability in no time. Talbot was the best in the league a few years ago at one point but has been dodgy now for a while.
    Similar thing happened to De Gea years ago. He was one of the best in the world at one stage and within a year he was a total calamity. Casillas too was probably the best in the world and within a couple of seasons he became so terrible Real had to sell him to the Portuguese league.
    Tbf, he was the best of a bad bunch for a few years as opposed to ever being high class. McGinty was the best keeper in the league while he was here, I;d say Shepperd at Dundalk probably number one now.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    It’s been a crazy start to the league but maybe it’s starting to take shape. There’s a clear top 4 (and check the latest Paddy Power title odds if you don’t believe me), a clear bottom two (I think Dundalk have just enough to stay out of that) leaving four for mid-table mediocrity and a possible cup run.

On the best keeper in the league question, too soon to judge Lyness but his first month has been phenomenal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    The league hasn't seen many consistent goalkeepers for a lot of years now. I never rated Talbot as highly as some and I was baffled at his Ireland call ups. Maher might the next one with the best chance of breaking into the Ireland squad if one of our main 3 three of Bazunu/Kelleher/Travers are out

I must say on LOI goalkeepers Conor Kearns has been really surprisingly great for Shels so far despite questionable reports about him in the First Division for Galway and myself seeing specular saves with erratic stuff from him at UCD when he was younger
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Just seeing Dundalks 2 goals,incredible sloppiness from Derry for the second,really really bad…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    The reaction for the Derry players after the game was a little odd after being 2-1 down with 10 to go. They reacted like a side that had just lost a cup tie. They cant have capitulated in a league race and yes it is a game they should have won certainly on paper but they didnt pepper the Dundalk goal and cursing some poor luck. They were sloppy but it happens and arguably many goals in LoI are defensive sloppiness rather than pure genius attacking play. It could be a good thing of course, where thay have been talking about and working on weaknesses and fell victim irrespective. It just seemed a bit OTT, it maybe was also a contrast that Dundalk and fans werent celebrating a good point after giving us a chance for 3.

I dont agree with you patsdad, another moment of wishful thinking stated as fact by you maybe? You can argue that the bookies rarely get wrong but i'll bet they are loving the lack of clear lack of consistancy with results so far. Dundalk I think we are a mid-table side unless we get some luck with injures and recapture some of the early season spots of form again. I could see us far too close to a relegation battle with some key injuries and a run of poor form can be hard to stop, maybe the breaks have been applied. Pats were one of the worst organised sides I have ever seen in the LoI Premier Division at Oriel, for a side that have expectations of being competitive, that form has been turned but is too recent and an example of it being compeletely premature to make much of a call on things beyond the next round of games with 5 points seperating 2nd to 8th and Cork only 3 now adrift of this group. Derry and Rovers will likely hit the top 2 at some stage and Bohs may be in the mix but would be particularly impressive to be involved in the run in, my bold statement is that they will follow Devine's usual trend and fade. St Pats more recent form could be argued as a 4th place but there is a lot of football to play with even the bottom 2 being written off prior but not dead and buried yet.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 16/04/2023 at 9:41 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Tbf, he was the best of a bad bunch for a few years as opposed to ever being high class. McGinty was the best keeper in the league while he was here, I;d say Shepperd at Dundalk probably number one now.
    Spot on. In the alternate universe where Alan Mannus never played football.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Every decent keeper in the league gets shipped off to English or Scottish leagues prob why the standard here is pretty low.

Anyone thinking Hoban is finished should have a look at todays game v Derry. He was outstanding.He was subbed on in the 51st min,ran the game from then on and only that Benson was totally brilliant for Dundalk he would have been MOTM!
    Such a class player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    The league hasn't seen many consistent goalkeepers for a lot of years now. I never rated Talbot as highly as some and I was baffled at his Ireland call ups. Maher might the next one with the best chance of breaking into the Ireland squad if one of our main 3 three of Bazunu/Kelleher/Travers are out

I must say on LOI goalkeepers Conor Kearns has been really surprisingly great for Shels so far despite questionable reports about him in the First Division for Galway and myself seeing specular saves with erratic stuff from him at UCD when he was younger
    Mannus and Murphy both left for a spell but otherwise were/are very consistent and very good. Probably the best two I've seen in the league and by a fair margin as well. Maher does look promising. McGinty was great while here. Will be interesting to see if he can make it further. Talbot's Ireland call ups were purely for convenience. He's a long way off that level.

Kearns is still only 24. Would agree he looks like he's finding his feet now. Could go on to be a very good LoI keeper.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Spot on. In the alternate universe where Alan Mannus never played football.
    Mannus has been the best keeper in the league since he came back but you'd imagine this is his last season. Im talking about who's going to pick up the torch and run with it for the next few years, it's probably Sheppard

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Funny, I always thought Niall Corbet - our keeper before Kearns - was far more solid. But there's so few pro goalkeepers in the league (and I imagine pay isn't great for some of those) that it hinders it. It's not worth a lot of players' while trying to make a career out of it, and those who do give it a go mayn't be the most promising options

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    For Talbot you would have to think that the injuries the last couple of years are playing a part. Which is a shame because he was certainly a very good keeper a few years ago. Time to see what Dennison has to offer imo. Funnily enough he wouldnt be the first American keeper to play for us either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Every decent keeper in the league gets shipped off to English or Scottish leagues prob why the standard here is pretty low.

Anyone thinking Hoban is finished should have a look at todays game v Derry. He was outstanding.He was subbed on in the 51st min,ran the game from then on and only that Benson was totally brilliant for Dundalk he would have been MOTM!
    Such a class player.

I cursed the fact he came on at the time. Did his usual and gave the Derry defence a torrid time and just gets Dundalk higher up the pitch. Invaluable.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The reaction for the Derry players after the game was a little odd after being 2-1 down with 10 to go. They reacted like a side that had just lost a cup tie. They cant have capitulated in a league race and yes it is a game they should have won certainly on paper but they didnt pepper the Dundalk goal and cursing some poor luck. They were sloppy but it happens and arguably many goals in LoI are defensive sloppiness rather than pure genius attacking play. It could be a good thing of course, where thay have been talking about and working on weaknesses and fell victim irrespective. It just seemed a bit OTT, it maybe was also a contrast that Dundalk and fans werent celebrating a good point after giving us a chance for 3.
    After the previous two performances and results, we needed to be winning yesterday. We don't concede many goals, let alone two in one game, so by scoring two ourselves, we should be winning.
    I'd say they were particularly disgusted with conceded two so close together.

Ultimately, the players probably expect to win almost every game, hence their reaction.
    Looking at the match in isolation, a point away to Dundalk, especially after being a goal down, isn't a bad result. But coupled with previous results, it's very annoying. One point from the last nine won't qualify you for Europe, never mind win a league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    For Talbot you would have to think that the injuries the last couple of years are playing a part. Which is a shame because he was certainly a very good keeper a few years ago. Time to see what Dennison has to offer imo. Funnily enough he wouldnt be the first American keeper to play for us either.
    He's an excellent shot stopper, big tall athletic lad too so should be good under a cross etc, the fear is if he makes a mistake like he did with longford last year the reaction will be very different, no hiding place.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Mannus has been the best keeper in the league since he came back but you'd imagine this is his last season. Im talking about who's going to pick up the torch and run with it for the next few years, it's probably Sheppard
    I'd say Maher but only because I think Sheppard will be gone. He's so young and so good already. I think he's better than Maher and Maher will stay in the league but who knows.

Or maybe it's Dean Lyness!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Mannus was outstanding last year, best in the league no doubt, but the previous year he wasn’t great at all - had a few v poor performances in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Looked like the Cork City backroom team (didnt see players) are off somewhere, were in Dublin Airport departures this evening. In official gear so presumibly an official trip. Is Dan Murray coaching with CCFC, im pretty sure it was him in among the group but havent seen him mentioned for a while, well not with the first team staff.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Looked like the Cork City backroom team (didnt see players) are off somewhere, were in Dublin Airport departures this evening. In official gear so presumibly an official trip. Is Dan Murray coaching with CCFC, im pretty sure it was him in among the group but havent seen him mentioned for a while, well not with the first team staff.
    "Best of luck to our MU17 side who are in Portugal this week, playing friendly matches against S.L. Benfica & Sporting CP!"

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/statu...34920446414848
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

22. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast