Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Battling Cork earn draw in Scandinavia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Battling Cork earn draw in Scandinavia

Neale Fenn's priceless away goal ensures Cork City's UEFA Cup hopes lie firmly in their own hands after a 1-1 draw in the first leg of their second qualifying tie against Djurgarden

Cork grabbed a valuable away goal as they held Djurgarden 1-1 in the opening leg of their UEFA Cup second qualifying round clash in Stockholm.

The Leesiders made a flying start at the Rasunda Stadium with former Tottenhamstriker Neale Fenn giving his side a surprise lead after just eight minutes

Read more at www.rte.ie
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    why not just post the rest of it

Thursday, 11 August 2005 9:24

Neale Fenn's priceless away goal ensures Cork City's UEFA Cup hopes lie firmly in their own hands after a 1-1 draw in the first leg of their second qualifying tie against Djurgarden

Cork grabbed a valuable away goal as they held Djurgarden 1-1 in the opening leg of their UEFA Cup second qualifying round clash in Stockholm.

The Leesiders made a flying start at the Rasunda Stadium with former Tottenham
    striker Neale Fenn giving his side a surprise lead after just eight minutes.

But the Swedish hosts came back strong late in the second half with substitute Patrick Amoah's strike 10 minutes from time sparing Djurgarden's blushes.

There was already a subdued atmosphere in Sweden's national arena with fewer than 5,000 fans turning up to watch the match.

And, within 10 minutes, the sparse crowd had fallen completely silent when Fenn scored the opener for Cork with a speculative shot which somehow found its way past Dembo Touray in the Djurgarden goal.

It took 35 minutes for the home side to recover from the shock, but Mattias Jonson eventually brought his side to life with a header which skimmed the Cork bar.

Yet minutes later, Cork came close to causing a further upset with Touray forced to make a finger-tip save from Liam Kearney's close-range effort.

A half-time grilling from coach Kjell Jonevret appeared to have had little effect on Djurgarden's players, who were still struggling to find their rhythm and looking increasingly frustrated against a resolute Cork defence.

Cork keeper Michael Devine denied Kari Arnason an equaliser for the Swedes with a stunning 73rd-minute save.

But, with City beginning to tire, Djurgarden finally found the breakthrough they had been looking for.

Amoah tried his luck with a shot which first took a deflection off a Cork defender before also touching Devine and rolling into the net.

Djurgarden then came close to snatching a late win but Devine pulled off another fine stop on the line from Tobias Hysen's teasing strike to ensure his side still have all to play for in two weeks' time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This is what UEFA make of it all
    Djurgården deny diligent Cork
    Thursday, 11 August 2005

By Jan Juhlin
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UEF...Report=RP.html

Djurgården's Mattias Jonson (centre) tries to hold off Cork pair Liam Kearney (left) and Danny Murphy

An 80th-minute goal from substitute Patrick Amoah earned Djurgårdens IF a late 1-1 draw against a tenacious Cork City FC side in Stockholm.

Late impact
    The Swedish starlet was introduced in the second half alongside Ibrahim Ba and Kari Árnason as Kjell Jonevret sought to break down Cork's stubborn defence. The 18-year-old soon vindicated his coach's decision, directing Tobias Hysén's cross into the net with the help of a deflection.

Fenn opener
    But it is Cork that will take the plaudits, after the team from the Republic of Ireland pushed their Swedish hosts all the way. Indeed, the away side led for over 70 minutes after an early strike from former Tottenham Hotspur FC striker Neale Fenn, and despite Amoah's late strike, will still take a slender advantage into the return leg on 25 August.

In-form sides
    The result will come as a surprise to some but, unbeaten in 14 games as they close in on the Irish Premier Division title, these are high times in Cork. Djurgården are just a point off the summit in Sweden too and after Fenn's strike they began to dominate proceedings, but were constantly rebuffed by the visitors' compact and well-drilled defence.

Starved of space
    The home team were starved of space in midfield and attack as the indefatigable Irish side sought to nullify the threat of a team renowned for slick passing and creative interplay. Djurgården did not help their cause with a disappointing performance and could not manage to fashion a single opening on goal in the first half.

Little creativity
    They began the second half much stronger but Jones Kusi-Asare and Daniel Sjölund created little and it was not until the substitutions that the home side began to reap attacking reward, with Amoah finally equalising ten minutes from time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    why not just post the rest of it
    Its a rule on the MB .... it makes sense aswell, if you like what you see in the first few paragraphs ... you'll click and read on. The website gets it page view and you get to read the article. Also, keeps the size down aswell.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is what it says in the Independent (you need to register so i'll post it here). Good report I thought until I read the last paragraph....

Late equaliser denies Cork a famous victory

Cork City's goalscorer Neale Fenn fires an effort on goal past Toni Kuivasto of Djurgardens IF during last night's UEFA Cup qualifying tie. Picture: Paddy Cummins/Sportsfile

DJURGARDENS 1

CORK CITY 1

TRUE-GRIT Cork City are a clean sheet away from reaching the first round proper of the UEFA Cup but nobody is taking anything for granted against a Djurgardens side well capable of winning in Turner's Cross in a fortnight's time.

Last night, in front of a 4,854 crowd at the Rasunda Stadium in Stockholm, Cork were denied a famous win when Djurgardens' substitute Patrick Amoah's 81st minute equaliser cancelled out Neale Fenn's eighth minute opener.

Damien Richardson's side produced a superb collective performance and, unsurprisingly, the manager was full of praise for their efforts.

"It was an excellent result," beamed Richardson. "Djurgardens held us back in the second half for long periods but we defended very well. We had three great chances and had we scored a second goal it could have been different result."

But Richardson warned there is still a very tough examination to come in Turner's Cross and despite that valuable away goal he still rates his side's chances at 50-50.

"It gives us a chance but I think maybe the hardest test is still to come. Sometimes away from home the pressure is off, it's on the home team instead. Perhaps in the second leg it will be on us."

Cork's form away from home this season has been excellent with 11 wins, three draws and just a highly-contentious Setanta Cup defeat at Shelbourne.

City repeated the tactics which served them so well in Lithuania last month as they attacked Djurgardens from the start. The approach yielded a dividend after just eight minutes when Dan Murray found Fenn on the left wing with a clearing header.

Fenn immediately cut inside and after a one-two with Roy O'Donovan on the edge of the box, cracked a right-footed shot past the outstretched arms of Dembo Tourray to give Cork the lead and a precious away goal.

"I remember getting the ball and thinking that if I could get some space I would get a shot off because it was early in the game and I wanted to test their 'keeper," said Fenn.

The goal jolted Djurgardens from their early slumber and midfielders Johan Arneng and Abgar Barsom worked hard to haul them back into the game.

Their slick passing and running off the ball posed questions of the Cork defence and there were a few heart-stopping moments but the Swedes struggled to test Michael Devine.

Mattias Jonson saw a header loop over and Daniel Sjolund cracked a thunderbolt into the side-netting but, remarkably, the quality chances were being created at the other end.

On 33 minutes, Cork striker John O'Flynn was blocked at the near post as he connected with O'Donovan's low cross while six minutes later a similar ball from Fenn saw Matias Concha block close-range efforts from O'Flynn and Liam Kearney.

Djurgardens brought on former Milan striker Ibraham Ba for Mattias Jonson at half-time but it was Cork who continued to carve out the best chances with O'Donovan shooting straight at the keeper while Fenn volleyed over after being picked out by a great ball from Danny Murphy.

But the Swedes continued to drive the tempo of the game upwards and eventually serious cracks began to appear in the Cork rearguard as the almost incessant pressure began to tell.

Defender Toni Kuivasto sent a close range header bouncing over while Devine was finally forced to make a save on 73 minutes when he tipped over a screamer from Kari Arnason.

The sub then shot weakly at Devine when he had the goal at his mercy but the Swedes finally forced an equaliser in the 81st minute when they prevented Cork making a substitution by taking a quick throw-in.

A tiring Roy O'Donovan was nutmegged on the right and Amoah was on hand to bundle Tobias Hysen's cross home despite the best efforts of Devine and Murphy to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

It was a rearguard effort thereafter for Cork as Djurgardens pushed for victory and Devine needed to be vigilant in injury time when Hysen's cross cannoned off Bennett, but the 'keeper managed to scramble back and push the ball off his line.

History, however, suggests that the odds are still stacked against Cork as one has to go back to 1975 for the last time an Irish side beat Scandanavian opposition over two legs. But, undoubtedly, Cork have a great chance of keeping their European dreams alive.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcolers
    History, however, suggests that the odds are still stacked against Cork as one has to go back to 1975 for the last time an Irish side beat Scandanavian opposition over two legs. But, undoubtedly, Cork have a great chance of keeping their European dreams alive.
    Where do they get these muppets from?
    Mick D. for Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcolers
    History, however, suggests that the odds are still stacked against Cork as one has to go back to 1975 for the last time an Irish side beat Scandanavian opposition over two legs.
    Just posted this on another thread.
    Again I ask how our victories at home and away to Malmo, last summer, don't count?
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

excellent

well done Cork
    Keep the Flags Flying
    I hope you go all the way

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well done Cork, set yourselves up for a fantastic night in the cross.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.ireland.com

Might aswell give the Times a mention too

Fenn fires home vital away goal for Cork

Uefa Cup second qualifying round/Djurgardens IF 1 Cork City 1: Cork City's renewed efforts to fly in the face of historical precedent by launching smash-and-grab raids from Ireland on Sweden yielded more precious loot last night in Stockholm. Emmet Malone in Stockholm

*Having beaten Malmo on the road a year ago, the southerners earned a fine draw at the Rasunda stadium where Neale Fenn's early away goal gave the Irish side an important edge in this Uefa Cup second qualifying round tie.

The Swedes equalised as the game moved into the closing stages but Damien Richardson, whose side has lost just once in 16 games away from home this season, was justifiably proud afterwards of a performance that leaves the Eircom League leaders with a serious chance of progressing when the tie is concluded in two weeks' time.

"We could have won," observed the City boss, "because we created a couple of very good chances but didn't take them and that's the only thing I would say we have to improve on at this level. But I'm not complaining because on balance a draw is a fair result and it was a good night for me because my team showed they have ability and they have character."

Richardson had said beforehand his team would look to play their own game but even he must have been surprised early on by the extent to which the locals stood off his players in midfield and around the edge of the box.

Neither Fenn nor Dan Murray enjoyed the best of starts with both surrendering possession more than once in the early exchanges but each more than made amends with their role in the goal. It came after nine minutes as Murray sent the ball out to the left flank from where Fenn, with help of Roy O'Donovan along the way, worked his way across the edge of the area before firing low between Gambian Dembo Tourray and post.

"I just remember thinking that if they give me a little bit of space I'll get a shot away," said Fenn, "because it was early in the game and I wanted to test the 'keeper. Luckily for me it went in and while I had quite a good chance later on I'm happy, they're the best team I've played against in Europe and it's a great result for us."

The goal prompted the expected response from the 100 or so travelling supporters in the stands and a predictable shift in the pattern of the game with the Swedes pressing forward. They failed even to get a shot on target during the hour that followed, however, and while there were two or three worrying moments for the visiting back four it was still City who came closer to doubling their lead when only fine defending by Matias Concha prevented first John O'Flynn and then, seconds later, Liam Kearney from scoring from close range.

Before the half was even over there were signs the crowd was turning on its team and the coach, Kjell Jonevret, initially seemed incapable of shaking his players up either at the break or after it as he threw on first Ibrahim Ba, once of Milan, then Patrick Amoah and Kari Arnason to liven up the search for an equaliser.

Richardson, meanwhile, stuck with a line-up that was serving him very well. In central midfield Greg O'Halloran was again a key figure, acting as City's first line of defence and winning a good deal of possession while behind him Murray and co never let the work-rate slip.

Out wide, Liam Kearney was outstanding, carrying the ball forward effectively and almost always using it well. It was his cross that set up Fenn midway through the second period when the striker, after a fine piece of skill to elude two defenders, should have done a good deal better with the shot.

The miss was to prove costly as the Djugardens substitutes were beginning to make their presence felt at the other end where Arnason finally forced Michael Devine into making his first real save 17 minutes from time. Moments later the same player should have powered the ball past the goalkeeper from close range but shot weakly straight at him instead.

A goal, though, now looked almost inevitable and it came 10 minutes from time when a cross from Tobias Hysen, a son of former Liverpool star Glenn, was turned goalwards by Amoah. Devine got a touch but not enough of one and Murphy's attempt to clear off the line wasn't sufficient to keep it out.

In injury time Alan Bennett looked to have turned another ball by Hysen into his own net but Devine saved brilliantly.

DJUGARDENS IF: Tourray; Concha, Kuivasto, Johannesson, Stenman; Arneng, Hysen, Barsom (Arnason, 71 mins); Jonson (Ba, half-time), Kusi-Asare, Sjolund (Amoah, 66 mins).

CORK CITY: Devine; Horgan, Bennett, Murray, Murphy; O'Donovan (Woods, 86 mins), Gamble, O'Halloran, Kearney; Fenn (O'Brien, 80 mins), O'Flynn.

Referee: O Oriekhov (Ukraine).
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.