Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Games weekend 31st March to !st April

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Harps will be grand, DR just needs a little time which they’ll give him, they’re working off a solid foundation too.
    Wish a few of their local politicians would push the ground development, it would be a real shot for them, bring in new fans too maybe although the season ticket uptake was ****ing impressive for div 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I can't wrap my head around Finn Harps and Dave Rogers.

Signing young local lads (fair) and mixing them with boys coming over from Brazil, Colorado, Arizona etc is bizarre. I can't understand why they didn't sign somewhat proven players who know the league, they must have the budget to do it if they're training full-time.

Dave Rogers deleting his twitter account when they lose and coming back a few days later is hilarious. Even funnier is this weekend when he put out a tweet saying he isn't above to criticism, yet he limited replies to tweets and turned his account private soon after.

I just don't see the end game, but every Harps fan seems to think he can do no wrong.
    Not above criticism at all, and as joey says, he's getting plenty of criticism from Harps fans on social media and I'm hearing plenty of it locally too.

Fact is, he couldn't sign many proven Irish players. Some went elsewhere for better money, and we just don't have the budget to compete with other clubs for signings.

Lot of the players brought in are on peanuts. Might be a lot of lads training full time, but they're certainly not on full time wages. The lad who came over from Colorado is from Donegal, he is as local as it gets, as he's from ten minutes from Finn Park and grew up a Harps fan. Nobody arrived from Brazil, Filip Da Silva arrived from Norway.

Think a fair few fans are simply realistic about where we are, and the rebuild at hand too. We've an average squad age of 21, and only 18 so-called senior players, some of whom actually still qualify for the clubs under-19 team. It's a very small squad, a very tight budget, and a pretty unenviable task trying to put a team out there given the money blown last season.

We'll be grand in the long run.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cláirseach View Post
    I saw Rogers spinning a similar line in the press. It's something you hear a lot after a beating - we were in it for the first X minutes, until they got their goal. It is a little generous last night as Waterford had created several good chances, finishing poorly, before the opener and had really turned the game in the minutes leading up to it. Thereafter it was a total shambles and they could easily have hit double figures.

It is tempting to see the Rogers era already as an overcorrection to Horgan's tenure. His constant salesmanship, manifested mostly as #positivity and #energy was.. a little different to what Horgan offered and there were great promises to do all kinds of things, from playing the right way, to bringing youth through, to whatever else it was that you wanted to hear. He had an answer for everything, accurate or otherwise. The change of direction from Ollie certainly seemed to fit into the vision and direction of the new chairman. Four years is a long time.

There are a lot of lines to be used to deflect from the standard of player and performance at Harps, most of which don't stand up very well if anyone cared to look closely at them.

You can say that these are young players learning and growing, but the only young players who shown enough so far to mark them as capable of making a significant impact in senior football are on loan from Stockport and Derry.

It is a multi-year project, however the list of players on deals suggest that, a little like Bohs last year, the players are getting the length of contract that you'd wished you'd given the ghost of the past. Beyond the loans the only acceptable level of performance have been from a player on a short-term deal, arguably a 37 year old and from Ryan Flood. There are multi-year contracts here for players who simply cannot make an impression on senior football games.

I'm not going to bother with suggestions that they are playing the right way, or any of that nonsense. They're barely attacking at all.

The budget is a fan's favourite. Budgets are only important in relation to those around you and look at our neighbours in the table here are wonder if that can really be a factor. How you allocate it is another thing. Harps have a full-time manager for what is I think the first time in their history, and a surely it must be the first occassion on which they have had a full-time assistant. There is a big emphasis on availability for daily training, which has an impact on the players willing to commit and also on the cost and expense of training. Players are still being sourced internationally who struggle to play at this level.

Regardless, Rogers will retain plenty support for now and has a great chance in the next two games to get some good results on the board. It is not often that you play teams like Kerry and the current Treaty United side back-to-back in senior football. If they can do this then people can go back to believing.
    This post wasn't approved at the time but the conversation has followed the lines expected. It is natural to want your club to do well, which for some people means defending them at all turns. Rogers found a very willing audience.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Players arrived from Arizona, Germany, Norway and England. His fundamental point was fine. On a side not I'm not sure that players travelling international and working daily for less than the minimum wage agreed with the union would be a path to follow.

Regarding the budget (apart from the points that I had made upthread) when you say

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    a pretty unenviable task trying to put a team out there given the money blown last season.
    are you implying that a loss has been returned for last season, and that said loss is impacting the budget available for this season? I must have missed this. Modest profits had been returned for the previous years prior to the election of the current Chair.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    doesnt sound encouraging for pats if they were brutal v ucd. clancy still under presure?
    I would hope so. He's not up for the task IMO.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Not above criticism at all, and as joey says, he's getting plenty of criticism from Harps fans on social media and I'm hearing plenty of it locally too.

Fact is, he couldn't sign many proven Irish players. Some went elsewhere for better money, and we just don't have the budget to compete with other clubs for signings.

Lot of the players brought in are on peanuts. Might be a lot of lads training full time, but they're certainly not on full time wages. The lad who came over from Colorado is from Donegal, he is as local as it gets, as he's from ten minutes from Finn Park and grew up a Harps fan. Nobody arrived from Brazil, Filip Da Silva arrived from Norway.

Think a fair few fans are simply realistic about where we are, and the rebuild at hand too. We've an average squad age of 21, and only 18 so-called senior players, some of whom actually still qualify for the clubs under-19 team. It's a very small squad, a very tight budget, and a pretty unenviable task trying to put a team out there given the money blown last season.

We'll be grand in the long run.
    Filip da Silva is from Brazil, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Filip da Silva is from Brazil, thanks.
    He's not though. He's from Norway, with a Brazilian parent.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Lot of the players brought in are on peanuts. Might be a lot of lads training full time, but they're certainly not on full time wages.
    Didn't the PFAI minimum wage agreement specifically ban that?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Rogers is a complete spoofer to my uneducated eye/ear. Talks the talk but I'd be surprised if it turns out that he can walk the walk.

As for us, a comfortable 2-0 win against Kerry, who were absolutely brutal. I can see why Galway put 9 on them, and I doubt it'll be the last bad beating they get. A good team would have scored a few more against them on Saturday. Unfortunately, we're not very good. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we finish above 7th to be honest, and finishing 9th isn't out of the question. We're so toothless in the final 3rd.

On another note, Aodh Dervin thinking he can suddenly play football is very frustrating to watch. He's always been a kicker, a grafter, a worker (whatever phrase you're having yourself) in midfield. No more than that. Trying to play wild passes and then roaring abuse at teammates for not catching them is a tough watch. He needs to shut up and stop abusing teammates for his own shortcomings.
    Last edited by De Town; 03/04/2023 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Kerry created better chances against Galway than they did last night. Last night was possibly their worst performance from an attacking point of view. The wait for a win goes on and on.
    To be fair to Longford they were probably the best organised team defensively we've played this season.

On the other hand I thought Athlone were quite good going forward on Friday but defensively they were fairly shambolic. It was probably our best performance of the season so far.

We have equalled our club record of 7 successive wins and can beat that on Friday in Wexford.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    As for us, a comfortable 2-0 win
    The first goal was against the run of play but well taken. Kerry did dominate after that in the middle of the half but didn't really threaten to score. The Longford manager got the response he wanted from his players after that. 1-0 possibly would have been a fair result, not that it matters. Kerry could have been there for the rest of the weekend and wouldn't have scored. Their worst display of season from an attacking point of view.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    Rogers is a complete spoofer to my uneducated eye/ear. Talks the talk but I'd be surprised if it turns out that he can walk the walk.

As for us, a comfortable 2-0 win against Kerry, who were absolutely brutal. I can see why Galway put 9 on them, and I doubt it'll be the last bad beating they get. A good team would have scored a few more against them on Saturday. Unfortunately, we're not very good. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we finish above 7th to be honest, and finishing 9th isn't out of the question. We're so toothless in the final 3rd.

On another note, Aodh Dervin thinking he can suddenly play football is very frustrating to watch. He's always been a kicker, a grafter, a worker (whatever phrase you're having yourself) in midfield. No more than that. Trying to play wild passes and then roaring abuse at teammates for not catching them is a tough watch. He needs to shut up and stop abusing teammates for his own shortcomings.

dervin is a poor footballer. the praise he received after the cup final was bizarre. got a lot of plaudits for heedlessly chasing after derry players. hes not very good, first division is his level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    dervin is a poor footballer. the praise he received after the cup final was bizarre. got a lot of plaudits for heedlessly chasing after derry players. hes not very good, first division is his level.
    Agreed. I thought the same when Shels signed him and wasn't surprised to see them get rid of him after one season. He can be a decent first division midfielder, I just wish he'd start being one rather than trying things he's not able to do and berating teammates all over the shop. Never a good sign when you start disliking players on your own team but it's heading that way with him for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Dervin has always been like that. It's nothing new. Jumped up little weasel with a chip on his shoulder. The First Division is his level.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It has, I recall Danny of the famous SSA trying hard to cheerlead it with mixed results years back, footage of Ajax fans singing it started the interest and subsequently there was much fawning of Ajax fans at White Hart Lane singing it pre European game. Still never took to it! Bohs stole it?? Sure they own Bob Marley cause he was in Dalymount once in 1980 or something!! Funny enough Spurs claim him too, there are quite a few Bohs like Bob Spurs jerseys knocking about...
    Nesta... mate,i'm telling you,that Bob song was doing the rounds in op a long,long,time before Danny was even born or before Bohs adopted it
    But obv we disagree on that. And we'll let it rest.

On the match itself(Dundalk v Shams) We were poor. Even 11 v 11.
    The Sending off was imo not a s/o and i'd wonder if any red card appeal sent to the FAI will ever be overturned??
    if Bob had have stayed on we only would have been beat 2-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Nesta... mate,i'm telling you,that Bob song was doing the rounds in op a long,long,time before Danny was even born or before Bohs adopted it

The Sending off was imo not a s/o and i'd wonder if any red card appeal sent to the FAI will ever be overturned??
    Its a handy €500 for the FAI coffers every time they turn down an appeal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I'm not a fan of managers on social media but its just not true to say that "every Harps fan thinks he can do no wrong",he's being getting plenty of criticism from the 2nd game of the season.....

But he's had 7 games so far,pointless making judgements about anything after such a short space of time.....
    I think Rogers falls into the bracket of a decent coach, but needs to work on his mgt. Noticed the twitter stuff, silly sending a note last week with a red bottle of wine emoji 'will have this for you Keith Long'.........................concentrate on the football Dave !!!!

**Vinny Perth was probably another decent coach, but not a great manager.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post

Agreed on that, without Hoban up top and having the MF unbalanced with Benson on the right, even at KO I was thinking 'be doing well to get a draw here'
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345