Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 31st March to !st April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Massive game now next week . If we can go to bohs and win we start building momentum. Feels odd waking up this morning and looking forward to the rest of the weekend.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Sadly, my expectations for the students proving spot on. 1 point so far, and that was a lucky point. Dare I say it without being jumped on.......Myler out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I thought we were very poor last night must be said although have to account for conditions and the state of that pitch in Tolka - not sure how it is so bad?
    Pitch certainly made it difficult, especially in the second half, but we weren't great really. After that early goal, I'd have loved to see us on and kill the game before half time.
    Undecided about the sending off. It's feels harsh, but by the letter of the law it's probably careless play. Changed the game, but Shels weren't too bad after it really.
    Positive that McJannet got a game in, hopefully we'll have more lads back for next week. Whatever about the performance, it's a win in Tolka in miserable conditions. Take that any week.

Worrying result for Harps there, unacceptable for them to be conceding that many, young team or not. I'd have thought they'd be finishing in a playoff spot, but looks unlikely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I thought we were very poor last night must be said although have to account for conditions and the state of that pitch in Tolka - not sure how it is so bad?
    In fairness it peed rain all day in Dublin (still going this morning.) I saw about the last half hour of the Shels match on RTE +1, and the pitch did seem very soft, but understandable as I say. The pitch in Richmond took on a lot of water too.

On the Pats game, nice professional job from us, and we could have had a couple more. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Pats still brutal....UCD really brutal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by desaintsno.12 View Post
    doesnt sound encouraging for pats if they were brutal v ucd. clancy still under presure?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Bit harsh , UCD are brutal in fairness but thought we knocked it around well …..I guess we’ll see over next few games

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Finn Harps actually played well for first 25 minutes or so and we were no better in that part of game than in previous home games. Roland Idowu got a brilliant goal then and 2 goals just before half time wrapped it up. Finn Harps keeper was poor for 4th and 5th goal. Great start under Keith Long.
    I saw Rogers spinning a similar line in the press. It's something you hear a lot after a beating - we were in it for the first X minutes, until they got their goal. It is a little generous last night as Waterford had created several good chances, finishing poorly, before the opener and had really turned the game in the minutes leading up to it. Thereafter it was a total shambles and they could easily have hit double figures.

It is tempting to see the Rogers era already as an overcorrection to Horgan's tenure. His constant salesmanship, manifested mostly as #positivity and #energy was.. a little different to what Horgan offered and there were great promises to do all kinds of things, from playing the right way, to bringing youth through, to whatever else it was that you wanted to hear. He had an answer for everything, accurate or otherwise. The change of direction from Ollie certainly seemed to fit into the vision and direction of the new chairman. Four years is a long time.

There are a lot of lines to be used to deflect from the standard of player and performance at Harps, most of which don't stand up very well if anyone cared to look closely at them.

You can say that these are young players learning and growing, but the only young players who shown enough so far to mark them as capable of making a significant impact in senior football are on loan from Stockport and Derry.

It is a multi-year project, however the list of players on deals suggest that, a little like Bohs last year, the players are getting the length of contract that you'd wished you'd given the ghost of the past. Beyond the loans the only acceptable level of performance have been from a player on a short-term deal, arguably a 37 year old and from Ryan Flood. There are multi-year contracts here for players who simply cannot make an impression on senior football games.

I'm not going to bother with suggestions that they are playing the right way, or any of that nonsense. They're barely attacking at all.

The budget is a fan's favourite. Budgets are only important in relation to those around you and look at our neighbours in the table here are wonder if that can really be a factor. How you allocate it is another thing. Harps have a full-time manager for what is I think the first time in their history, and a surely it must be the first occassion on which they have had a full-time assistant. There is a big emphasis on availability for daily training, which has an impact on the players willing to commit and also on the cost and expense of training. Players are still being sourced internationally who struggle to play at this level.

Regardless, Rogers will retain plenty support for now and has a great chance in the next two games to get some good results on the board. It is not often that you play teams like Kerry and the current Treaty United side back-to-back in senior football. If they can do this then people can go back to believing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Some goal from Athlone last night!

Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    That Bob song has been going around op a while and well before Bohs stole it!
    You wouldnt know that though.
    It has, I recall Danny of the famous SSA trying hard to cheerlead it with mixed results years back, footage of Ajax fans singing it started the interest and subsequently there was much fawning of Ajax fans at White Hart Lane singing it pre European game. Still never took to it! Bohs stole it?? Sure they own Bob Marley cause he was in Dalymount once in 1980 or something!! Funny enough Spurs claim him too, there are quite a few Bohs like Bob Spurs jerseys knocking about...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I thought we were fine, can't complain too much. UCD didn't have a shot in anger really and their only real chance came from a Pats error that they dithered on ridiculously at 3 down.

Tough conditions to put in any kind of fluid display but there was some nice stuff in there and it could have been a wider scoreline. Not exactly the kind of game we'll be judged on this season though, still a lot to do to make up for our earlier performances.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Wouldn’t agree with that. Not saying we were brilliant, but we were fine. I’ve definitely seen us struggle far more in games against UCD over the years. Of course there will be tougher challenges ahead, so we’ll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Some goal from Athlone last night!

Quality. Great break out.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    UCD been extremely poor since the sligo game. Very hard to understand the setup with no striker up front, there is zero threat from us. Kinsella or Divine should be up there, but they're so often on the bench. Defence is tragic without Todd. We lost a lot of games last year but we were competitive in most of them, not this year, its all 3-0 or 4-0 heavy defeats. Myler should be under pressure, definitely needs a change.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Danú wasn't on the bench today so I assume he's injured?

Really need to knock off the goalkeeper howlers too...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Good point for Treaty at Wexford and while its no win in 6 for Tommy Barrett some positives in the result.Home team quite good in the second half ,Danny Furlong particularly impressive as Wexford played better football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Strange for Benson to do us any favours at all but his karate kick attempt wrapped it up for us. Not sure what anyone could complain about based on what I saw but I'll have another look at whatever angles come out. Looked like he flew in studs up and with his head completely turned away from the ball. Mad thing to do. I like Benson and know he isn't a malicious type but I thought it was a red immediately as did the ref who went for the card straight away. Not sure he even saw the few Rovers staff standing up from the bench. The Shels red is a disgraceful decision though.

Could have been 5 or 6 in the end although Dundalk started both the first and second half very well I thought. They've some very tidy players. Malley looks like a find.

The Dundalk LoI commentary team is also very good. Fair dues to them there. Very balanced and a good dynamic between them.

I was delighted not to see Hoban in the team. As Yossarian said above, Dundalk are far weaker without him and John Martin ain't a striker.

We are staying up.
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-42413955.html

I take it back about the red. Even if I didn't believe O'Donnell it's easy to read what Bradley said as him not thinking it was a red and he was right there. Does anyone have an angle from the side it happened on?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Danú wasn't on the bench today so I assume he's injured?

Really need to knock off the goalkeeper howlers too...
    I haven’t seen Mulreany’s goal back yet, but it seemed like a real clanger from the keeper alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-42413955.html

I take it back about the red. Even if I didn't believe O'Donnell it's easy to read what Bradley said as him not thinking it was a red and he was right there. Does anyone have an angle from the side it happened on?
    I was sitting in the middle of the stand and had a view straight on of it. Haven’t seen any angle from that side but funnily enough the best angle was probably being recorded by the Rovers staff as they had their own camera set up in the away fan section at the front of the stand.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loifan_76 View Post
    UCD been extremely poor since the sligo game. Very hard to understand the setup with no striker up front, there is zero threat from us. Kinsella or Divine should be up there, but they're so often on the bench. Defence is tragic without Todd. We lost a lot of games last year but we were competitive in most of them, not this year, its all 3-0 or 4-0 heavy defeats. Myler should be under pressure, definitely needs a change.
    Unfortunately Todd is gone in the next transfer window, finishes his degree next month and will be gone to either Bohs or Derry maybe. Not sure it would do his reputation any good to come back into this defence, he was back on the bench last night so maybe we get 4 or 5 games out if him before he leaves. Keaney is an awful footballer full stop, Harvey O'Brien had a good year in 1st Division when the oppo were mostly lumping balls at him, but when the ball is on the ground, or teams looking to unlock defences by actually playing football, him and Keaney nowhere near mobile enough. Gallagher has thrown in the towel. The manager lost the dressing room a long time ago as well, but they miraculously managed to keep it together while Harps and Waterford imploded at the end of last season. Hopefully we get to blood some of the young lads for next season in 1st Division under a new manager.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast