Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V France - Monday, 27th March 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Republic of Ireland V France - Monday, 27th March 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

O'Dowda ruled out and replaced by Brady.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    O'Dowda ruled out and replaced by Brady.

Bizarre.

Brady's only started one of Preston's last seven games, whilst Manning is statistically the best player in that position in the Championship.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Yeah between Brady and Manning I'd likely lean more towards Manning, similar with McClean and Manning as Manning has better ball delivery. I'd tip O'Dowda over all of them though for LWB though.

He further tweeted though that O'Dowda isn't 100% ruled out for tomorrow. Interesting that he said O'Dowda was a certain starter so might still feature on the bench if passed fit.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Brady should at least give the French bad memories. Every bit helps

But yeah, we're not far away from not having Coleman, Brady, Stevens, Doherty or McClean and - well, what more can you say about the continued omission of Manning? Or the Latvia game could have been a good time to bring McNamara into the fold - an ever-present for a side in the Championship play-offs. (Though I think McNamara plays on the right rather than the left)

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Brady should at least give the French bad memories. Every bit helps

But yeah, we're not far away from not having Coleman, Brady, Stevens, Doherty or McClean and - well, what more can you say about the continued omission of Manning? Or the Latvia game could have been a good time to bring McNamara into the fold - an ever-present for a side in the Championship play-offs. (Though I think McNamara plays on the right rather than the left)
    I'd be looking to get Lyons in before McNamara. Covers both sides and going forward he's better than McNamara.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Yep, no problems with that either. Maybe a little bit inexperienced yet at the level he's at, but certainly looks like one for the near future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Manning and Brady should be in squad.
    I like McClean but he’s terribly predictable. 9/10 he’ll drop the shoulder and try to swing in a left footed cross

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Just like Mitoma

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    One thing I would like to see on Monday --besides half the French team coming down with the flu-- is Kenny reacting quickly, if something clearly isn't working... positional changes first of course, but if he has to sub someone out as soon as the first half, I hope he does it rather than persevering with a player till the 70/75th minute as if we don't have other options available. Another vote for Ogbene beside Ferguson here too - don't know what he is like for Rotherham but he is lucky for Ireland.. and that's all that matters...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    One thing I would like to see on Monday --besides half the French team coming down with the flu-- is Kenny reacting quickly, if something clearly isn't working... positional changes first of course, but if he has to sub someone out as soon as the first half, I hope he does it rather than persevering with a player till the 70/75th minute as if we don't have other options available. Another vote for Ogbene beside Ferguson here too - don't know what he is like for Rotherham but he is lucky for Ireland.. and that's all that matters...
    First time for everything, I suppose.

I'd be happy with Ogbene or Obafemi.
    I thought Obafemi and Ferguson linking up with Ferguson for his goal was a glimpse of what can hopefully become something regular. Fantastic anticipation and skill from them both.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    Very excited for the game tonight - as is everyone I've spoken to. The optimist in me is saying there is something to get from the game tonight, but the pessimist keeps telling me it's too much to overcome.

It's a bright cold cold morning here i mBaile Atha Cliath, and it's due to be a nice evening by kick-off. That will help with the crowd, whether it helps on the pitch I'm less sure. A win tonight for France gives them 6 points from their 2 of their 3 toughest games of the group, which would make their job in the autumn more straightforward. That's why I'd expect them to 'go' for it tonight.

The important thing for us is to take the match in 15 minute blocks. Absolutely imperative not to concede early - try to get to h/t level and then start again, 15 minute blocks and stay in the game as long as possible. It'll be key to close their space - and i'd be happy enough to give them space in behind than to give them too much in front of us - particularly if we play 3 cb's. I like Rabiot as a player, but I don't think himself and Tchouamani are going to prise us open if we condense the pitch and the space to play in. And their two cb's are absolutely vulnerable when being run at, and when being targeted from out wide. In that regard it's a real pity O'Dowda has an injury.

Nerves will be shot as soon as the team is named. Have to believe that Bazunu, Doherty, Egan, Collins, Cullen, Molumby, Ferguson and Obafemi are going to play. After that it's down to injuries, fitness and game plan - 1 of Coleman or McClean; 1 of O'Shea or Andy O; and 1 from Knight, Hendrick, Ogbene or Smallbone (Italics is what I think he'll go with).

All weekend I can't shift the possibility that we get a really good result tonight and we'll go to Greece with something in the pocket in June. Here's hoping.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Very excited for the game tonight - as is everyone I've spoken to. The optimist in me is saying there is something to get from the game tonight, but the pessimist keeps telling me it's too much to overcome.

It's a bright cold cold morning here i mBaile Atha Cliath, and it's due to be a nice evening by kick-off. That will help with the crowd, whether it helps on the pitch I'm less sure. A win tonight for France gives them 6 points from their 2 of their 3 toughest games of the group, which would make their job in the autumn more straightforward. That's why I'd expect them to 'go' for it tonight.

The important thing for us is to take the match in 15 minute blocks. Absolutely imperative not to concede early - try to get to h/t level and then start again, 15 minute blocks and stay in the game as long as possible. It'll be key to close their space - and i'd be happy enough to give them space in behind than to give them too much in front of us - particularly if we play 3 cb's. I like Rabiot as a player, but I don't think himself and Tchouamani are going to prise us open if we condense the pitch and the space to play in. And their two cb's are absolutely vulnerable when being run at, and when being targeted from out wide. In that regard it's a real pity O'Dowda has an injury.

Nerves will be shot as soon as the team is named. Have to believe that Bazunu, Doherty, Egan, Collins, Cullen, Molumby, Ferguson and Obafemi are going to play. After that it's down to injuries, fitness and game plan - 1 of Coleman or McClean; 1 of O'Shea or Andy O; and 1 from Knight, Hendrick, Ogbene or Smallbone (Italics is what I think he'll go with).

All weekend I can't shift the possibility that we get a really good result tonight and we'll go to Greece with something in the pocket in June. Here's hoping.
    A goal difference of -6 probably and out of contention after 3 games. The usual Kenny campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Really good hype video from the FAI, didn't quite stick the landing though
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I'm a big fan of McClean but I wouldn't have him in the starting 11. His style of play in inherently risky. A red card or conceding a penalty would be a disaster.

That said, if we fall behind I would want him on the pitch as soon as possible.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Robbie Brady doesn’t make match day squad. Don’t understand that at all

21. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Any spare tickets going would love to bring the little brother.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    No place for Troy which really surprised me

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Likewise if anyone stumbles across 2 tickets at any level around the middle of the pitch, my tickets just fell through

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Robbie Brady doesn’t make match day squad. Don’t understand that at all
    That is weird. Was he called up just to make the numbers up in training? But Manning/Lyons/McNamara could have done that.

Parrott and Keane not there either, but Idah is in. O'Dowda not in either (I think there was some rowing back on how injured he was, but he's definitely out now)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That is weird. Was he called up just to make the numbers up in training? But Manning/Lyons/McNamara could have done that.

Parrott and Keane not there either, but Idah is in. O'Dowda not in either (I think there was some rowing back on how injured he was, but he's definitely out now)
    I’d say Brady was gonna be in the squad if Coleman didn’t make it. Right now you’ve probably got McClean and Doherty who can play left but if Coleman is out then Doc is only gonna play on the right

Given that it was yesterday, decent chance Brady could have already been in dublin, so it was a decent last minute shout…

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast