348 Posts

Play-offs 2023.

Tuesday 24th 7.45pm

Athlone V Waterford

Wexford V Cobh Ramblers

Saturday 28th

Waterford V Athlone-3pm

Cobh Ramblers V Wexford-5pm
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Potential attendances for the Play-Off games.

Athlone would be hoping for well over 1,000+ with Waterford bringing a few hundred away support.
    Waterford can expect 2/3,000 in the return on Saturday.

Wexford will hopefully get 7/800 at home, while Cobh have a supporters bus full, so a 100+ will travel at least.
    Cobh can get 1,500+ for their home game on Saturday if they get a good first leg result!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Virgin Media will be broadcasting the promotion/relegation playoff final on 10th November.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Virgin Media will be broadcasting the promotion/relegation playoff final on 10th November.
    Great to see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Weather might have a lot to say on the attendances, brutal stuff down here!
    A grand welcome home for me, pishing down rain! love it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    What's everyone's predictions for these ties?

It would be some upset if any of Cobh/Wexford/Athlone make it through all of these ties to secure promotion

I'll be going with Waterford and Wexford to go through these two-leg ties with Waterford to go over Wexford in the next First Division one-off final. I think despite Waterford's patchy end of season form being full-time with players rested/rotated in final few games will get them to that Cork play-off final.

One off play-off final between (most likely) Cork and Waterford at a neutral venue more difficult to call Cork probably would be marginal favourites but these one-off finals have had upsets in the past 3 seasons with Longford beating Shels and UCD twice winning over Waterford
    Last edited by total hoofball; 23/10/2023 at 8:56 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Athlone slaughtered our defence the last two times, I am not too confident, but it'll be my first LOI game in 3 years.. so I am excited no matter what happens.
    A Waterford v Cork final would be preferable of course in Dublin, just... no UCD this time around does me grand, although Cork taught Waterford how to play not too long ago >.>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    What's everyone's predictions for these ties?

It would be some upset if any of Cobh/Wexford/Athlone make it through all of these ties to secure promotion

I'll be going with Waterford and Wexford to go through these two-leg ties with Waterford to go over Wexford in the next First Division one-off final. I think despite Waterford's patchy end of season form being full-time with players rested/rotated in final few games will get them to that Cork play-off final.

One off play-off final between (most likely) Cork and Waterford at a neutral venue more difficult to call Cork probably would be marginal favourites but these one-off finals have had upsets in the past 3 seasons with Longford beating Shels and UCD twice winning over Waterford
    I'd fancy Waterford and Cobh to make it through,Athlone have been awful for a while now and Cobh seem to be a better side than Wexford from what I've seen this season, of course if a Pierrot or a Oluwa have a big night anything is possible.....

Whoever makes it through to the final I'd expect Cork to care off though...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    I expect Waterford and Cobh to progress as well - with Waterford winning, and then losing to Cork in the final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Surely Waterford aren't going to find a way to do it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    Was an enjoyable enough game in Athlone,Pierrot missed an absolute sitter in the first half but overall Waterford were the better team and should have won really,they’ll be big favourites to win on Saturday.

3pm on a Saturday is a rubbish time for a playoff game though,not a fan of that…..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Was an enjoyable enough game in Athlone,Pierrot missed an absolute sitter in the first half but overall Waterford were the better team and should have won really,they’ll be big favourites to win on Saturday.

3pm on a Saturday is a rubbish time for a playoff game though,not a fan of that…..
    I'm a big fan of football at 3 on a Saturday!! Although when people are used to Friday football I see your point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    It’s just Playoffs specifically,meant to be played under floodlights for me!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I assume these 2nd leg games are being played on the Saturday afternoon due to the Rugby World Cup final at 8pm

But then that raises another question why were these 2nd leg fixtures not scheduled for the usual Friday night in the first place? The FAI published fixture list from December does confirm these 2nd leg matches were always scheduled for Saturday 28th October and the Rugby World Cup final was always scheduled for the Saturday night, you just know a google search of upcoming major sporting events during the next calendar year may be too much effort for the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Shane Keegan mentioned that since they locked up third place, Cobh have been planning a big day in the club bar on Saturday, to include the rugby. Obviously not quite the same draw now that Ireland have been eliminated

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    I assume these 2nd leg games are being played on the Saturday afternoon due to the Rugby World Cup final at 8pm

But then that raises another question why were these 2nd leg fixtures not scheduled for the usual Friday night in the first place? The FAI published fixture list from December does confirm these 2nd leg matches were always scheduled for Saturday 28th October and the Rugby World Cup final was always scheduled for the Saturday night, you just know a google search of upcoming major sporting events during the next calendar year may be too much effort for the FAI
    I’d say the RWC Final has nothing to do with these fixtures. Both Waterford and Cobh have enough local following to attract big crowds. Any floating rugby supporters would obviously watch the final, but it’s SA v NZ and the general interest here in the competition ended two weeks ago with our defeat to NZ. The RWC doesn’t hold the audience like the soccer WC as it represents more people in the world too.
    Just my opinion. ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Presumably because the first legs were midweek it would give an extra 24 hours rest time to the teams.

I would imagine the afternoon kick-off times are to avoid the clash with the rugby as you suggest.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Shame there is only two legs to the first playoff and not the rest of the games as 1st division teams could do with the money, if Cobh get past Wexford the potential of another €20k in gate revenue would help the club greatly. The flip side is the season would never end....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyRambler View Post
    Shame there is only two legs to the first playoff and not the rest of the games as 1st division teams could do with the money, if Cobh get past Wexford the potential of another €20k in gate revenue would help the club greatly. The flip side is the season would never end....
    Agreed. Clubs could press for that change though. The playoffs semi-finals could have been last Monday and tonight, Friday. The playoff final next Monday and Friday. The promotion/relegation playoff then on the following Monday and Friday.
    Losing semi-finalists with one extra home game, losing finalist with two extra home games and the winning finalist with three extra home games. The First Division clubs aren't pushing for that change though and seem ok with the status quo, for now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Presumably because the first legs were midweek it would give an extra 24 hours rest time to the teams.

I would imagine the afternoon kick-off times are to avoid the clash with the rugby as you suggest.
    Well the shift to afternoon kick-off time is less than 24 hours rest time now. FAI should have played the 1st legs on Monday and 2nd legs on Friday it's dumb scheduling

Also El Clasico kicking off at 3.15pm while Waterford/Athlone kicks off at 3pm. I know which game I'm watching it's not the match without international footballing superstars

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast