Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 FAI Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Very surprised by how much Hraps have struggled this year btw. Presumably the bookies had you as one of the favourites for a play-off spot. What's the deal? Did you lose a load of players from last year? Is Rogers just not up to the task?
    Squad aren’t up to it,plenty of effort but just not good enough…
    There’s no indication yet that the manager is up to it either but I’ll give him this season and see how we’re fixed next year …
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Very surprised by how much Hraps have struggled this year btw. Presumably the bookies had you as one of the favourites for a play-off spot. What's the deal? Did you lose a load of players from last year? Is Rogers just not up to the task?
    Only one senior player from last year is left, and he's been out long term injured. Average age of the squad is 20. Lot of academy players playing because of injuries and it was a small squad to begin with.

Jury is out for most fans with Rogers I'd say so far from reading through social media and forums. I think he's faced an uphill battle from the start. Social media speaks loudly sometimes but a lot depends for him on the transfer window too. We've proven at times to play okay football, but then we tend to have a few games where we couldn't pass urine. I think we're three or four players away from having a squad that'll get a playoff, also hoping the injuries to several squad players clear up asap. Beyond bare bones for Longford game tomorrow night and I'll be surprised if we manage to claw together even five or six subs for the bench.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Galway United tried this a few years ago with "Project DNA" under Alan Murphy...

It became pretty evident early on in the season that was more DNR than DNA!

That season it was only down to 4th for the playoff spot but we weren't within as asses roar of that, we even finished 20 points off 5th placed Bray - and that was after a 27 game season.

Harps are lucky that things are so tight that they're still in touch. A few more senior players could help push them on but honestly I don't know if there's any point in brining in a lad for 5 months to help reach 5th only to lose in the playoffs. Were Harps to someone make the playoffs and get promoted would they be in a position to play in the Premier Division again next season? I think this is what happened Longford when they got promoted in 2020 - their squad wasn't anywhere near good enough to play in the Premier and the owner had to make the call whether to sign in a whole new squad to have any chance of survival, or give the lads who earned promotion the opportunity to play at the higher level and budget for that so the club could have a softer landing in Division 1.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Galway United tried this a few years ago with "Project DNA" under Alan Murphy...

It became pretty evident early on in the season that was more DNR than DNA!

That season it was only down to 4th for the playoff spot but we weren't within as asses roar of that, we even finished 20 points off 5th placed Bray - and that was after a 27 game season.

Harps are lucky that things are so tight that they're still in touch. A few more senior players could help push them on but honestly I don't know if there's any point in brining in a lad for 5 months to help reach 5th only to lose in the playoffs. Were Harps to someone make the playoffs and get promoted would they be in a position to play in the Premier Division again next season? I think this is what happened Longford when they got promoted in 2020 - their squad wasn't anywhere near good enough to play in the Premier and the owner had to make the call whether to sign in a whole new squad to have any chance of survival, or give the lads who earned promotion the opportunity to play at the higher level and budget for that so the club could have a softer landing in Division 1.
    There's zero hope of promotion this year, and I'm not sure either the club or the management particularly want it. This season was always about building a squad to compete for promotion this year. The blueprint is almost what Cobh are doing this year with an almost identical squad to last season. It's the reason they've gone down the two year deal route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Anyone know what weekend these games are on?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    21-23 July

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Have the specific dates for all the fixtures been agreed/announced yet? Am hopoing to get a few different games around the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Have the specific dates for all the fixtures been agreed/announced yet? Am hopoing to get a few different games around the country.
    I've seen nothing published officially but am told Galway United v Bangor is going to take place on Saturday 22nd at 17:30
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I have being told that the FAI Cup tie v St Pats Ath will be a 3 o clock KO on that Sunday 23rd!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I was told our game V Rovers in cup won't be played that weekend

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    I was told our game V Rovers in cup won't be played that weekend
    Is that because Rovers are in Europe on the following Tuesday, and Dundalk the previous Thursday?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Is that because Rovers are in Europe on the following Tuesday, and Dundalk the previous Thursday?
    Yes I believe this is the reason. I'd imagine it won't be played for a few weeks until they see how both teams get on in Europe

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes I believe this is the reason. I'd imagine it won't be played for a few weeks until they see how both teams get on in Europe
    Probably no one could have guessed before planning the schedule that both teams would be in Europe. It's an odd timetable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Second round of the draw is due w/e 20th August, so there's not that much spare time if both clubs did progress in Europe, is the only thing.

Heard that Derry-Athlone will be on the Sunday. Wonder would we have played it if it was a Premier team instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I know both teams are involved so it may suit to do this initially and there are no replays at this stage but I'd still be concerned about the knock-on effect of this if both teams progress through a few rounds. What then? Or if one is eliminated it's obviously going to suit them much more to play on certain dates.

Maybe it will be re-arranged for one of those weekend freed up by bringing forward some of their league games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Have heard several dates given for Kilbarrack v Harps, and some of them depending on what ground we'll be playing in. They're pushing hard to play in their own astro cage, and I think a decision is due later this week on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I’d guess if Rovers lose their first round Champions League game then the game might go ahead on the Sunday as they would be playing the following Thursday rather than Tuesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Dundalk should get past Magpies of Gibraltar which means another round on 27th July and 3rd August, hopefully it will be Connah Quay of Wales.

FAI Cup games have to played at some stage, so I'd still think Sunday 23rd July looks most likely for Dundalk v Rovers, even if Rovers also still in Europe.

If it goes ahead that date, Dundalk will be at home to Magpies on 20th July, and I think Rovers away in Iceland 18 or 19th July.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Fixture details announced now:

https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/spo...ails-confirmed

Sports Direct Men’s FAI Cup First RoundFriday, 21 July, 2023 – 19:45
    Bohemians v Shelbourne, Dalymount Park
    Drogheda United v Sligo Rovers, Weavers Park
    Kerry v Ringmahon Rangers, Mounthawk Park
    Kilbarrack United v Finn Harps, Greendale Road*
    Treaty United v Cork City, Markets Field
    UCD v Cobh Ramblers, UCD Bowl
    Wexford v Avondale United, Ferrycarrig Park
    Saturday, 22 July, 2023
    Lucan United v St. Patrick’s CYFC, O’Hanlon Park – 11:00
    Cockhill Celtic v Bray Wanderers, Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds – 14:00
    Gorey Rangers v Rockmount, Ramstown – 15:00
    Galway United v Bangor Celtic, Eamonn Deacy Park – 17:00
    St. Michael’s v Waterford, Cooke Park – 17:00*
    Sunday, 23 July, 2023
    Portlaoise v Skerries Town, Rossleighan Park, 14:00
    Derry City v Athlone Town, The Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium, 17:00
    Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers, Oriel Park, 17:00

Longford Town v St. Patrick’s Athletic, Bishopsgate, 18:00
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I have being told that the FAI Cup tie v St Pats Ath will be a 3 o clock KO on that Sunday 23rd!
    That’s a perfect kick off time on a Sunday.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast