Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: 2023 FAI Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I've had a lovely couple of days.

Some spectacle on the day. Kept catching myself looking around and not quite believing that there were that many people in attendance of a FAI Cup final. If only clubs were really able to build on this in the immediate term, but a special feeling all the same.

Can't speak highly enough of the job that Daly has done, it's not always the most convincing but he has an often extremely young team playing some mature football and I think that's what won out on the day. The likes of Redmond and Lennon are the players you want in that kind of environment.
    Yeah, it was kind of surreal to look around a packed Aviva and realise you were at a Cup Final. The two finals against Bohs have been very special occasions. After all the disappointments in finals, now we can’t stop winning them .

I think our defence is What makes the difference. Someone else mentioned the amount of blocks they get in. Since the return of Joe Redmond from injury we’ve been so solid at the back. Jon Daly deserves great credit for the job he’s done. I didn’t realise his family are still living in Scotland. Hope he doesn’t decide to go back over there.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    A serious few days that I’m only now starting to recover from now. From the nightclub with over 1k fans and players on Sunday night, to a jammed McDowells with fans and squad there with live music by none other than the Wolfe Tones it’s been unbelievable.
    I can't imagine anything more ruinous to a party atmosphere than the Wolf Tones turning up.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    I can't imagine anything more ruinous to a party atmosphere than the Wolf Tones turning up.
    Alright Joe Duffy calm down.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Given that the FAI Cup has now become established as a bit of a thing (not just this year, but the 3 attendances since Covid have all been good), surely 2024 would be a good time to bring the League Cup back again?

Why have only 2 possible trophies available to any club to win (and only one final) when traditionally there used to be 3? What was the rationale for not restoring the League Cup after Covid anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Will be interesting to see if they re-introduce the LC for 2024, it's about the most significant change I can see the FAI introducing ahead of the new season but won't be surprised either way.

If it were up to me I'd give the Presidents Cup teams a bye round 1 and have it kicking off the the Friday before the league opener as a kind of higher profile friendly as a curtain raiser. Half the teams being out before the league season starts would make it a lot easier to schedule.

In an ideal world you'd throw in the likes of CK, Klub Kildare, Monaghan, Mayo, etc to get them a taste but I'm sure there's probably reasons why that won't be able to work.

I'd love as well if it was a little bit different to every other cup competition in some way. Like straight to pens after the 90 or minimum 6 players under 23 to emphasize it as a youth development tournament.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Given that the FAI Cup has now become established as a bit of a thing (not just this year, but the 3 attendances since Covid have all been good), surely 2024 would be a good time to bring the League Cup back again?

Why have only 2 possible trophies available to any club to win (and only one final) when traditionally there used to be 3? What was the rationale for not restoring the League Cup after Covid anyway?
    The FAI Cup is established in the second half of the season. The League Cup, if it is to return, needs to fit in in the first half of the season.
    My tuppence worth is that the President's Cup should expand to 6 teams. The top 3 in the league, FAI Cup winner, League Cup winner and defending President's Cup winner. Places can be allocated to the next best placed teams in the league if cup winners are already qualified through the league.
    The League Cup can then be contested by the remaining 14 clubs. Clubs who have qualified for Europe will only have to play 2 or 3 rounds at most in the President's Cup. Clubs in the League Cup would only have to play 3 or 4 rounds at most.
    The President's Cup would probably require one game a month in March, April and May. The League Cup would probably require one game a month in March, April, May and June.
    The early rounds of the League Cup didn't often attract crowd. With a tiered cup format, the league winner and FAI Cup winner can receive a bye to the President's Cup semi-finals. 4 other teams are contesting two quarter-finals to join them.
    After 12 teams starting in the League Cup First Round, it'll be straight into quarter-final then with lower half Premier Division clubs and top half First Division clubs vying for silverware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Needs more pyramid.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Needs more pyramid.
    Didn't Lyons get rid of their pyramid teabags!?

I'd like to see the League Cup return but the problem is the schedule is already pretty full. I think there are 4 midweek round of fixtures as is.

If you exclude the 4 European teams it could just be a flat 16 draw, so just 4 matches for the eventual finalists.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    The FAI Cup is established in the second half of the season. The League Cup, if it is to return, needs to fit in in the first half of the season.
    My tuppence worth is that the President's Cup should expand to 6 teams. The top 3 in the league, FAI Cup winner, League Cup winner and defending President's Cup winner. Places can be allocated to the next best placed teams in the league if cup winners are already qualified through the league.
    The League Cup can then be contested by the remaining 14 clubs. Clubs who have qualified for Europe will only have to play 2 or 3 rounds at most in the President's Cup. Clubs in the League Cup would only have to play 3 or 4 rounds at most.
    The President's Cup would probably require one game a month in March, April and May. The League Cup would probably require one game a month in March, April, May and June.
    The early rounds of the League Cup didn't often attract crowd. With a tiered cup format, the league winner and FAI Cup winner can receive a bye to the President's Cup semi-finals. 4 other teams are contesting two quarter-finals to join them.
    After 12 teams starting in the League Cup First Round, it'll be straight into quarter-final then with lower half Premier Division clubs and top half First Division clubs vying for silverware.
    I don't see the point in expanding the President's Cup to just a few more teams. Why do we need an exclusice trophy, with a fairly artifical grounds for qualification? It makes sense currently as the League winner vs cup winner. And I could understand if we had a Winter league and the 4 European teams needed something to get them match-ready. But I see no benefit in it just being an artifical few teams. Why?

I like the League Cup because it is open to EVERY team in the league. And in addiiton it has also traditionally given a few non-league clubs with potential the chance to experience big games, good crowds, and get a taste of what the LOI could be if they ever wanted to join. Plus it's an established trophy and echoes what a lot of leagues elsewhere have as well, so has some inherent value. You could see an all-Dublin League Cup final selling out Tallaght for example. Why would we not want another showpiece event like that?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Needs more pyramid.
    Said the Egyptian FA....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    If you exclude the 4 European teams it could just be a flat 16 draw, so just 4 matches for the eventual finalists.
    If you are excluding the 4 European qualified teams, they should all enter the President's Cup instead?

I don't see the point in expanding the President's Cup to just a few more teams. ...
    "Why" - An elite competition with 3 rounds or less for those qualified for Europe.
    If the 16 clubs not qualified for Europe were contesting the League Cup, the League Cup winner at least should also be included in the following year's President's Cup.
    With the President's Cup established and the League Cup not contested since 2019, there is an opportunity to bring back the League Cup and have the European qualified teams in the President's Cup. If it is a non runner, it is a non runner.
    I was in Mounthawk Park the day Kerry League knocked out Waterford United of the League Cup. If the League Cup does return and the Third Tier is to be established eventually, the League Cup should be for League of Ireland clubs and first team clubs in the Third Tier.
    If European qualified clubs are supportive of a return of the League Cup, maybe they should have a bye to the later rounds. The League Cup with European teams would need to be completed before the European qualifiers begin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    The Presidents Cup is the Irish Super Cup. The Super Cup is played all over Europe as the league winners against the cup winners as the curtain raiser to the season. Adding teams to a glorified friendly competition would be utter nonsense, and ultimately completely pointless.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The Presidents Cup is the Irish Super Cup. The Super Cup is played all over Europe as the league winners against the cup winners as the curtain raiser to the season. Adding teams to a glorified friendly competition would be utter nonsense, and ultimately completely pointless.
    Supercopa de España?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts
    Needs more pyramid.
    Said the Egyptian FA....
    So any non-league club standing at the doorway of the big leagues would be invited to just ring the bell for admittance?

Y'know, Toot 'n' come-in?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    "Why" - An elite competition with 3 rounds or less for those qualified for Europe.
    If the 16 clubs not qualified for Europe were contesting the League Cup, the League Cup winner at least should also be included in the following year's President's Cup.
    With the President's Cup established and the League Cup not contested since 2019, there is an opportunity to bring back the League Cup and have the European qualified teams in the President's Cup. If it is a non runner, it is a non runner.
    I was in Mounthawk Park the day Kerry League knocked out Waterford United of the League Cup. If the League Cup does return and the Third Tier is to be established eventually, the League Cup should be for League of Ireland clubs and first team clubs in the Third Tier.
    If European qualified clubs are supportive of a return of the League Cup, maybe they should have a bye to the later rounds. The League Cup with European teams would need to be completed before the European qualifiers begin.
    The 4 European clubs have at least 2 rescheduled league games caused by their European participation. If they progress a round or two , it starts to get a bit tricky and disruptive. So why would you want to add even more games on to their schedule? And just for a makey-uppey 'exclusive' trophy that they will completely deprioritise in favour of Europe and the league.

Why do our European clubs need even more games?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    So any non-league club standing at the doorway of the big leagues would be invited to just ring the bell for admittance?

Y'know, Toot 'n' come-in?
    I think you're in denial/The Nile...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The 4 European clubs have at least 2 rescheduled league games caused by their European participation. If they progress a round or two , it starts to get a bit tricky and disruptive. So why would you want to add even more games on to their schedule? And just for a makey-uppey 'exclusive' trophy that they will completely deprioritise in favour of Europe and the league.

Why do our European clubs need even more games?
    Are you saying the European clubs should not be in the League Cup?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    I think he's saying that losing the league cup wasn't actually a loss and is actually more of a hindrance to some clubs.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    I've very clearly said in a previous post that the League Cup should be for ALL clubs in the league (plus a few non-league ones).

If you're asking because it addss more games, then at least it does so for a propoer trophy. And it's just restoring things to the way they were before Covid.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    I think he's saying that losing the league cup wasn't actually a loss and is actually more of a hindrance to some clubs.
    I'm saying the complete opposite. Bring it back!

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast