Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Games weekend 16th to 18th March 2023

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    No idea what to think at this stage to be honest. Maybe it has just clicked for Devine and Bohs will strengthen enough in the next window to keep going towards the title. Stranger things have happened. Would agree that Derry haven't properly taken advantage of us dropping points but a betting man would surely opt for them given they are already ahead and without Duffy.

We are playing well enough going forward but relying on Kenny's finishing which is woeful and making too many mistakes at the back. It feels like we've conceded from nearly half the attacks other teams have had. We also haven't ben scoring enough from corners of which I think we've had plenty every game.

Derry look about the same as last year to me?* A bit weak at home and prone to injuries that can derail them. On their day though, with their best 11 out, I think they are probably the better team now. Too many at Rovers in their last year of football and as it stands, we didn't sign well enough. IF we do get it over the line it will be the last one for this group I'd expect. Will need an overhaul for next year which will open the door to Derry or whoever wants it.

*Edit - Better actually. O'Reilly seems like a great signing
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 21/03/2023 at 6:20 PM.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    What will massively help Bohs maintain the push to stay in the top 3 is not involved in Europe.

It didn't work in our favour in 2021 when we had higher coefficient and drew Vitesse Arnhem (should have beaten them away mind 2-2 draw but we had Abibi and Sonni on the pitch at the same time), this season it might go against us for other reasons, as the coefficient of 8.5 could see us play every Thursday in July (will prob be enough to be seeded in 3 rounds, if we play in 3) but that will surely impact league games as squad is just ok to cope at the minute.

Bohs won't have that distraction, neither will Sligo for that matter.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    5 points from 6 games would be fairly good evidence for me
    Also the ill discipline and dropping points from winning positions. A trademark of Rovers the last few years has been winning points late in the game. Reversing that trend would be a big worry for me if I was a Rovers fan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Also the ill discipline and dropping points from winning positions. A trademark of Rovers the last few years has been winning points late in the game. Reversing that trend would be a big worry for me if I was a Rovers fan.
    I’d agree with this. Rovers are showing enough previously unRovers like traits early on to suggest this might not be their best year. Considering Derry’s injuries I’m happy enough with our start.

Devines teams tend to peter out and can think of no reason Bohs won’t do the same (2nd season ****show incoming if pattern of his career continues).

Derry have to be favourites now and I think thebodds are about right. I now think we will win it . I haven’t thought that in a long, long time. It’s a bit of a scary thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    .... a betting man would surely opt for them given they are already ahead and without Duffy......*Edit - Better actually. O'Reilly seems like a great signing
    I think we miss the likes of McJannet and Dummigan more. We don't have a settled defence, and Ben Doherty just isn't really a defender. Sligo's goal last week was very poor to concede, for example. Duffy feels like more of a bonus than anything else.

Rovers were the better team against us, and maybe I'm judging them too much by that match, but they're a more talented bunch of players than anyone else in the league, and they know how to grind out results and titles. Neither ourselves or Bohs do.

I think the odds are mad. As a general rule, I don't bet on/against Derry, but 23/10 for Rovers is seriously tempting for a good sized bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Reintroduction of the Dublin Derby hoodoo for Rovers would be unfortunate - that game could spark Rovers season in to life but also be a damaging loss which and on respective form is a decent possibility. Dundalk v Rovers we will see some more of trying to keep it tight, absorb the pressure and try to hit on the break. It just about worked in Derry but you cant invite on that much pressure regularly. We didnt play well at Drogheda so arguably a lucky 4 points so will need to show our on form and I dont think the St Pats game shwed that we have barnstorming performances in us when we click....didnt need to click.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    Ger, not a feckin hope we will be top 2, squads waaay too light. Flores Buckley, Afolabi, and either of the Polish Pillars get injured, well, we are well and truly light to put it mildly.
    Take your arm off now for third, which I doubt, but we’re going to win the cup I heard…..
    Suppose all 5 get injured and you're still left with:

Talbot

Benn Horton Barker Kirk

Clarke McDonnell
    Connolly Coote Akintinde

Williams

With McDaid, McManus, O'Sullivan and Twardek on the bench. Cian Byrne and Varion on loan whom I'm sure we could recall.

Not many teams can compete with the depth we have, I would argue. Take 5 players out of any team other than Rovers and you're not looking as strong as us.

I expect things to change over the season, ups, downs, upsets etc but we've a strong squad.

The only thing going against us is the fact it's the first year they've all played together. I know they've hit the ground running but ultimately when some of the more settled squads click they'll click to a higher level than us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Reintroduction of the Dublin Derby hoodoo for Rovers would be unfortunate - that game could spark Rovers season in to life but also be a damaging loss which and on respective form is a decent possibility. Dundalk v Rovers we will see some more of trying to keep it tight, absorb the pressure and try to hit on the break. It just about worked in Derry but you cant invite on that much pressure regularly. We didnt play well at Drogheda so arguably a lucky 4 points so will need to show our on form and I dont think the St Pats game shwed that we have barnstorming performances in us when we click....didnt need to click.
    As I'm sure fans of both teams will agree, form really goes out the window for the Dublin derby. When Bohs were at one of their lowest points in 2012 they won the derby 4-0 similarly when rovers were in the first division in 2006 they beat us 2-0 in the cup. Could it be a launching point for a Bohs title push or Rovers resurgence? Sure but I will always think of these games as individual events isolated from the rest of the league/cup games because anything can and has happened throughout the years.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    What's the story with Liam Burt? Has he even started a league game yet?
    Just hearing he's been managing a groin injury John. I'd been wondering the same thing you were to be honest.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    As I'm sure fans of both teams will agree, form really goes out the window for the Dublin derby. When Bohs were at one of their lowest points in 2012 they won the derby 4-0 similarly when rovers were in the first division in 2006 they beat us 2-0 in the cup. Could it be a launching point for a Bohs title push or Rovers resurgence? Sure but I will always think of these games as individual events isolated from the rest of the league/cup games because anything can and has happened throughout the years.
    Absolutely. And the refs usually have their part to play as well. Which is always frustrating as I don't think the derbies have been particularly aggressive for the past few years.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567