Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 16th to 18th March 2023

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Well we are 10 points ahead of the League Champions and pre-season favourites so who knows if that makes us credible league opponents come the end of the season, but right now we are more credible than some.
    Ger, not a feckin hope we will be top 2, squads waaay too light. Flores Buckley, Afolabi, and either of the Polish Pillars get injured, well, we are well and truly light to put it mildly.
    Take your arm off now for third, which I doubt, but we’re going to win the cup I heard…..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    That's absolutely disgusting stuff. Lad should get a permanent ban.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    A ban is too easy on him, If the Taaffe family are willing, he should have to face them and hear them talk about the tragedy that he is belitting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    Ger, not a feckin hope we will be top 2, squads waaay too light. Flores Buckley, Afolabi, and either of the Polish Pillars get injured, well, we are well and truly light to put it mildly.
    Take your arm off now for third, which I doubt, but we’re going to win the cup I heard…..
    More chance of Dundalk winning Conference League than Flores not getting injured

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    More chance of Dundalk winning Conference League than Flores not getting injured
    Yes but he’s really playing well atm under Devine, and looks hungry for it ,imo our best player so far by a mile.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Are you really saying the ref got the call right in the first half??? As I said, brutal match. 0-0 would of been a fair result. We don't have a goal poacher. If we concede, a draw looks to be the best we can hope for as we ain't getting more than 1 goal in a game!
    What I'm saying is if you turn in a performance like that you deserve absolutely nothing. Can't be relying on refs in this league of all leagues. Has to be one of the worst games I've ever watched in Bishopsgate and we somehow found a way to lose it against an equally terrible team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    It was chronic but we'll take the win! Yeah you should have had a peno in the first half. Would like to see ours again. Pretty far away from where we were standing. Seemed the defender caught Okwute in the back. No goals from open play yet but we look defensively solid. I'd be surprised if either side are near the playoff shake-up but early days yet
    Okwute literally looks over his shoulder and put his body in front of O'Connor as if to say please touch me and the young lad did exactly what he asked for and ran into him. Stupid stuff but that's what you'll get with young players, he'll learn from it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Okwute literally looks over his shoulder and put his body in front of O'Connor as if to say please touch me and the young lad did exactly what he asked for and ran into him. Stupid stuff but that's what you'll get with young players, he'll learn from it
    Exactly what happened. Okwute was smart about it, but O'Connor had no need to run into him like he did, and caused a needless penalty, because neither side really looked like scoring from open play otherwise. I've a camera angle behind the goal as well that shows much the same as Longford LOITV stream did. Excellent by Okwute, to be fair to him, but horrible defending. Either way, it was a penalty, and I'm not sure there can be many complaints about that decision from home supporters.

There were many other questionable calls from the referee throughout the game that can be looked at before the penalty decision.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Buckos already injured, I think it's his calf if i remember the match preview correctly. Hasn't played the last 2 games with Horton popping in right back. Squads got decent enough depth but I'd agree about Afolabi. He just seems to be a different level of strength to everyone he's played against this season. Williams looked good in his longest game v Pats but he plays so different you'd be worried about the change.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Not even the first series of games gone and bohs think they are contenders. Love it. Would be gas and obviously infuriating if you were the ones to stop our 4 in a row attempt but I wouldn't have you anywhere near the top 2 come seasons end to be honest ger. You can bookmark this one and I'll send you the cost of a pint of I'm wrong.

I think we are in for a bit of a mad season which is great considering the crowds are up. They'll be entertained anyway.
    I'll not say we are contenders or that we Will win the league, but we are top of the league and the longer we stay there and results go our way the harder it will be to fall out of the European places which was was on every Bohs fans wishlist. Remember most people on here had Bohs to finish 6th or 7th in their predictions. I do think you are correct it will be a mad season and a new name on the league trophy will be good for the game in Ireland.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    The talk is way to early. Bohs, along with nearly any team, can finish 9th to 1st. There is a huge amount of points to be dropped by all teams - anybody can go on a 5 or 6 winless streak. I wouldn't be making any predications about where anybody would be finishing until the Third Round of games (Although, I am getting more confident that Cork will be 9th).

////

Just looking at the starting 11s from last week, the Rovers teams have so much more proven quality than anybody by a country mile. Then they had Burke, Burt, Gannon, Grace and Kavanagh all on the bench. That is just a serious amount of talent and league experience there. If I was a betting man, I would still probably plump for Rovers, might get better odds now too. 10 points between them and top place isnt much with 30 or so games left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Whatever about Bohs ,Derry haven’t taken full advantage of Rovers bad start to the season,7 points isn’t huge at this stage,they’re unbeaten but have failed to win half their games,could regret it at the end of the season…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Whatever about Bohs ,Derry haven’t taken full advantage of Rovers bad start to the season,7 points isn’t huge at this stage,they’re unbeaten but have failed to win half their games,could regret it at the end of the season…..
    Would totally agree. Injuries seem to be killing them. If they dont win the league, it might really just be there own fault for having a bad pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    League is so well poised going into the international break. It's been a great start to the season with results being so unpredictable.

Shamrock Rovers are going to have to go about it the difficult way if they are going to do it again. Makes for a great storyline. It's been too straightforward in recent times.

In general I'm a massive LOI in Europe fan and Rovers form would usually have me worried they are going to bomb out of the champions path and hurt the co-efficient. Thinking for the longest time that success in Europe was the key to better attendances and the game growing here. I no longer really think that way. I'm not self-conscious about the quality of our teams anymore because it doesn't really feel like I need to be defensive about why I'm more interested in Irish football.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    We are top now Dermo, let’s enjoy that for however long it lasts… Nobody has a crystal ball so we can only judge on where we are right now and right now if feels good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Exactly what happened. Okwute was smart about it, but O'Connor had no need to run into him like he did, and caused a needless penalty, because neither side really looked like scoring from open play otherwise. I've a camera angle behind the goal as well that shows much the same as Longford LOITV stream did. Excellent by Okwute, to be fair to him, but horrible defending. Either way, it was a penalty, and I'm not sure there can be many complaints about that decision from home supporters.

There were many other questionable calls from the referee throughout the game that can be looked at before the penalty decision.
    Watched back our penalty appeal in second half just there, Byrne definitely gets the ball and is hauled down. Should have been a penalty but again, can't be relying on referees to get you out of jail, we got what our performance deserved

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    The talk is way to early. Bohs, along with nearly any team, can finish 9th to 1st. There is a huge amount of points to be dropped by all teams - anybody can go on a 5 or 6 winless streak. I wouldn't be making any predications about where anybody would be finishing until the Third Round of games (Although, I am getting more confident that Cork will be 9th).

////

Just looking at the starting 11s from last week, the Rovers teams have so much more proven quality than anybody by a country mile. Then they had Burke, Burt, Gannon, Grace and Kavanagh all on the bench. That is just a serious amount of talent and league experience there. If I was a betting man, I would still probably plump for Rovers, might get better odds now too. 10 points between them and top place isnt much with 30 or so games left.
    On powers today
    Derry 11/10
    Rovers 23/10
    Bohs 11/2
    Dundalk 7/1
    Pats next at 22/1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Derry look a great bet at those odds, particularly after we pick up one point away to Dundalk and then Derry

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    On powers today
    Derry 11/10
    Rovers 23/10
    Bohs 11/2
    Dundalk 7/1
    Pats next at 22/1
    I wouldn't back Derry or Rovers at them prices tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Bohs and Dundalks squads are to thin imo, unless Derry blow it big time they should be winning.
    Finishing behind anyone but Rovers would have Higgins under pressure youd have to think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Bohs and Dundalks squads are to thin imo, unless Derry blow it big time they should be winning.
    Finishing behind anyone but Rovers would have Higgins under pressure youd have to think
    Still think Rovers will come good and just go on a typical winning run of theirs. I've seen nothing to suggest that they're not still the best team in the league by a distance.
    Our home form is worrying again, and neither injuries nor the pitch are an excuse.

I'd agree that Huggins would be under pressure if we aren't finishing second behind Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Still think Rovers will come good and just go on a typical winning run of theirs. I've seen nothing to suggest that they're not still the best team in the league by a distance.
    Our home form is worrying again, and neither injuries nor the pitch are an excuse.

I'd agree that Huggins would be under pressure if we aren't finishing second behind Rovers.
    5 points from 6 games would be fairly good evidence for me

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast