Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 10th / 11h March 2023

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Did Pat's also have a goal ruled out in the 2nd minute because of an offside from a corner?

LAW 11: OFFSIDE
    3. No offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
    a goal kick
    a throw-in
    a corner kick
    No I think that was for a foul on the keeper. Very soft from where I was standing but they're given more often than not these days.

Edit: should also be pointed out everyone had stopped play before Forrester kicked the ball into the goal
    Last edited by Another Bohemia; 11/03/2023 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Odumoso seems to be having a bit of a nightmare spell also, going to pick up the ball, then realising it was a back pass and that hesitation meant he didnt get the ball cleared. I thought he was a solid back up level keeper so is he just having a rough patch or is he a liability keeper.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Any suggestions what local players we should sign, I'm all ears.
    Pike and Fairview have always been strong junior clubs, so surely their players should be capable of stepping up to the First Division?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Pike and Fairview have always been strong junior clubs, so surely their players should be capable of stepping up to the First Division?
    theres little incentive for anyone over the age of like 24/25 to be ploughing away with a part time first division side. much less hassle playing junior + the money some of the lads are 'allegedly' on in junior football will trump anything treaty could offer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    ... a pitch covered in bare patches destroyed by rugby scrummaging
    Our international side had some of the most famous results in this very situation. Turned the home patch in to a fortress - maybe let the grass grow also and it'd stump passing sides like Derry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Yeah very true on coach availability and with a rookie there is inevitable teething pains that can be avoided by bringing in someone who has experience.

Listen you'll have no trouble finding people who remember Longs time at Bohs very fondly. There are some who even believe he should have been given more time. From what I've heard removing him from his position was not a unanimous decision either but we were a mess last season. We didn't even have a set captain from the start of the season to the end. Don't get me wrong there were good memories in there as well but it was the right decision to get rid of Long. Just look at the turn around of individual players within the Bohs squad like Coote and Flores. I would've been happy to see the back of them at the end of last season
    Yeah that's it, sure Bohs had this issue themselves after Long left, folk call the options either underwhelming or unproven but I think the reality is that every club would be in that position.

I can see both sides as to whether he'd be a good appointment or not, but either way I think it's almost inevitable that it'll happen so I'll just be trying to see the positives in it You'd imagine much like Devine at Bohs that the team he has with him would be key. Was talking to a lad who coaches one of the underage teams at Bohs last night who was certain that Croly would join with Long if it happened but I can't see that at all myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    That could easily have been me you heard! I would have taken a point before the game but after the game I was very happy with it. We played well enough in the first half but most of the second half was a very good rearguard action. Derry had most of the ball and spent a lot of time around our box but lacked a clinical edge.
    Might have been yourself. Two of you's together and the other man said it feels like a win.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Derry very dominant second half just a combination of not being clinical enough and that wee bit of luck cost us. As others have stated I also have no idea how Greg Sloggett stayed on the pitch, multiple clear follows after his booking. Dundalk a pretty cynical side but well set up and will take plenty of beating by anyone this year so not overly concerned at the 0-0.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Any suggestions what local players we should sign, I'm all ears.
    I honestly haven't a clue.

I don't understand why treaty don't make more use of their underage really I suppose is my main thing

Like if you're going to sign a squad to struggle in the first division is it worth bringing in a (just for example im not mad familiar with team) conroy who hasn't sniffed the bench at bohs in place of a local youngfella?

And if its a thing that the standard of the underage lads just isn't up to it then number one why and number two is there money being spent down in the academy that could be spent on a better quality of first teamer?

It's just no limerick in the name, no limerick people in the team, no real hope of any improvement (ie no money), where's it going?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    You must have been watching a totally different game than everyone else.
    Derry dominated the match especially in the 2nd half when Dundalk couldn't put 2 passes together.
    I heard a Dundalk fan on the way out of the ground after the match saying how did we (Dundalk)get out of there with a point.
    ? Probably me.

Derry are a good side,will probably win the league, but that game for me was all about the mentally of us going to a tough away ground and scrapping out a result.we passed the major exam imo.
    Slogget absolutely brilliant for us and Boyle immense. Derry fans looking to get sloggs sent off is a testememt to his skill.
    More please Greg!

Meanwhile,the bluff of Clancy at pats is fcuking brilliant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    On Bohs turn of fortunes, Devine has generally put together pretty good sides, free-scoring Derry in his first stint there an example. The issue that has followed him is that he doesn't seem to get that form sustained. I have no thoughts on why nor is it knocking Bohs, it will just be interesting to see whether things stall and stagnate again or not.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    The standard of junior soccer is through the floor.
    The few that are good enough won't commit - Tommy has tried and failed to sign Stephen McGann, Connor Ellis and Conor Coughlan.
    We signed Jack Arra who was top scorer in the league at that time but he was miles off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I don't understand why treaty don't make more use of their underage really I suppose is my main thing
    Ronan Geary, Sean Oyibo, Adam Gallagher, Josh Coady, Nikodem Kozlowski, Leon Kirrane, Fionn Doherty, Lee Mulready, Scott Kirkland, Darren Nwankwo are just some of the names that have been involved at first team level.
    Lot of lads from Clare and Tipp in there too.

Fionn Doherty made a half dozen appearances at the tail end of last season and Tommy said he will get his chance again soon. Darren Nwankwo and Robbie Lynch both trialled with Blackburn Rovers of late and will feature soon I'd say. Josh Quinlivan and Scott Kirkland are both academy graduates that are in the squad every week.

Like if you're going to sign a squad to struggle in the first division is it worth bringing in a (just for example im not mad familiar with team) conroy who hasn't sniffed the bench at bohs in place of a local youngfella?
    I don't entirely disagree with you there. Now in fairness to Conroy he is from Laois and studying in Limerick which is fair, but I think Darren Collins is a waste of time and that Fionn Doherty would be worth putting first team minutes into over the likes of Colin Kelly.

It's just no limerick in the name
    Blame POS

no real hope of any improvement (ie no money), where's it going?
    Back to back playoffs and an FAI Cup Semi-Final isn't bad going. Just because we might have a bad year doesn't mean we should throw in the towel, silly stuff.
    Need people to row in behind the club now and hopefully investment will come down the line, but need to build that base first and to do that football people (like yourself) need to support their local team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Fairplay on the youngsters as i say not overly familiar it just struck me looking at the starting eleven struggling where are the 19s but theyre around so fair enough.

I'll blame Paud for a lot but not the name. That it's constantly put around that twas somehow pauds fault just shows everyone involved knows twas a terrible decision.

"He was going to sue us"

For using the word Limerick. Would have been an interesting court case.

The fact his bluff wasn't called shows treaty are potless.

Which is a pity.

Cos the thing about local support is clubs aren't entitled to it they have to try earn it. And I don't think the product being put out by treaty is going to do it

I'd like to see them going well. I'd be there every week if they were. But there isn't really any connection there and they are an absolutely ****e watch so it's a meh from me at the moment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I'd like to see them going well. I'd be there every week if they were. But there isn't really any connection there and they are an absolutely ****e watch so it's a meh from me at the moment.
    I will once again mention that we reached the playoffs twice and got to an FAI Cup Semi-Final.

If people want to go they will find a way, if people don't then they'll find an excuse.
    It looks like I'm ****ing into the wind talking to you because your mind is made up no matter what I say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I will once again mention that we reached the playoffs twice and got to an FAI Cup Semi-Final.

If people want to go they will find a way, if people don't then they'll find an excuse.
    It looks like I'm ****ing into the wind talking to you because your mind is made up no matter what I say.
    I didn't want to go there because it could be interpreted as petty when I'm not trying to be petty I'd prefer if they were better.

But since you went there that cup semi final was two wins against non league teams and a home win against ucd

The credit for the two playoff appearances goes to the expanded first division

The reality was a bog standard mid table first division side, the kind Limerick FC used to put out for years and years that nobody cared about.

Could funds from elsewhere in the club be put towards a better first team product? Of course they could. But the first team doesn't seem to be Treatys priority. Which is fine, they can prioritise whatever they like. But don't be cribbing when a path isn't being beaten to the Markets Field

The ****ing against the wind minds made up you hate us anyway etc talk is only auld ****e to be honest if they were worth watching I'd go and watch them, why wouldn't I?

I suppose your right in that nothing you're going to say could really convince me to watch them. But its not up to you to convince people to watch them, it's up to those running the club themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiof View Post
    Dundalk barely got out of their own half practically the whole of the 2nd half. Agree that Derry didn't create as many clear cut chances as they should have but to say that Dundalk shoulda won is nonsense.

Sloggett was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow on a number of occasions. Ref was very lenient with him.
    100% agreed, Dundalk were decent in the in the first half, and possibly shaded it, second half only one team trying to win it and that was not us ! That said our defence stood up and were excellent, really well organised too, Boyle was superb, but all of the play Derry had, not sure Sheps made more than 1 or 2 decent saves.

Derry will be 'disappointed' not to have won, Dundalk should be delighted with the point, I think that's a fair summary.

One goal now conceded by us in 3 games, that's the type of improvement that was called for.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    The vast majority of Fans were appreciative of the teams efforts last night yes some boos but also shut down by the vast majority in our support. We have just won 3 league titles in a row and the sense of entitlement the minority of fans who think of us just having to turn up to be given games is laughable. We have lost 1 league game and may go the rest of the season perhaps only losing 3 or 4 more. Its a different challenge for the team when compared to other years lets see how we get on. WAR. Only 1 team trying to win last night on a pitch that i feel may have been prepared not to have a nice passing game.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    From being in the Carlisle last night neither side will be in the playoffs this season. We could have easily have lost last night. No atmosphere -performance was flat from both sides. Looks like a huge rebuild ahead this year Im afraid!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Another 2 goal lead let slip by Cork tonight....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast