Thread: Republic of Ireland V Latvia - Wednesday, 22nd March 2023 - Friendly

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    You introduced Quinner, buddy.
    As a joke after your genius comment about Jack Charlton, still doesnt answer the question who you would actually pick instead of Parrott and Idah

2. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    1st para fair enough, points I could get on board with (maybe).
    2nd para "Since the last Euros, France have..." been beaten on penalties in the World Cup final in the last international window. E.N.D.
    There's a massive difference between the World Cup and qualification matches. I've shown you they drawn and lost 7 matches since 2020 in qualification and Nations League matches. They are not invincible. If it wasn't for this manager we'd be eyeing up a draw here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

This is pure short term-ism from man who knows (from a purely selfish perspective) that there's no point planning for the long term. But his responsibility to Irish football goes beyond his own job security, or at least it should.
    Should he be planning for the future or planning to try win the games in this international window? If hes selfishly just trying to keep himself in the job I would assume hes picking what he believes are the best possible players to win now. He has introduced plenty of players into the squad in his tenure which benefits the future of Irish football, the 18 year old striker in the squad was picked in the last window when no one was calling for that. We can argue over whether hes picked the right players but I think its unfair to have a dig at him for not thinking about the future of Irish football when he has games to go win.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Should he be planning for the future or planning to try win the games in this international window? If hes selfishly just trying to keep himself in the job I would assume hes picking what he believes are the best possible players to win now. He has introduced plenty of players into the squad in his tenure which benefits the future of Irish football, the 18 year old striker in the squad was picked in the last window when no one was calling for that. We can argue over whether hes picked the right players but I think its unfair to have a dig at him for not thinking about the future of Irish football when he has games to go win.
    Both. Blooding players in the Latvia game has no bearing on qualification plus he's holding frontliners back for the France game.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Both. Blooding players in the Latvia game has no bearing on qualification plus he's holding frontliners back for the France game.
    Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers, Collins, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Molumby, Knight, Sykes, Smallbone, Obafemi, Idah, Parrott, Johnston, Ferguson..... 15 players out of squad of 25 who are all aged 25 and under. Seems to me that is pretty good planning for the future.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    As a joke after your genius comment about Jack Charlton, still doesnt answer the question who you would actually pick instead of Parrott and Idah
    My Charlton comment was genuine. Your reply was nonsense. Own it and move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Still wont answer the question. Since you want to play like the days of Jack I assume you have players in mind to suit that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers, Collins, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Molumby, Knight, Sykes, Smallbone, Obafemi, Idah, Parrott, Johnston, Ferguson..... 15 players out of squad of 25 who are all aged 25 and under. Seems to me that is pretty good planning for the future.
    Sure half of those are first team starters and most are established squad members? Might as well just shut the door on everyone else so.

A chunk of the squad are 30+ and we have very little aged 25-29. We can't just stop blooding players just because there's a number of younger lads already in there. We have to keep bringing players through as there's plenty of spaces to be filled in the next couple of years.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Sure half of those are first team starters and most are established squad members? Might as well just shut the door on everyone else so.

A chunk of the squad are 30+ and we have very little aged 25-29. We can't just stop blooding players just because there's a number of younger lads already in there. We have to keep bringing players through as there's plenty of spaces to be filled in the next couple of years.
    I agree that we have to continue bring in players, Im just making the point that its unfair to say that he is not giving consideration to the future. I also dont think there are any glaring omissions right now. I can see Coventry, Hodge, Connell, Azaz, Lyons, Ebosele, Moran, Zefi and Cannon all being in consideration in the not too distant future. Cannon obviously has the most immediate possibility based on current form, but I dont think its a disgrace that any of the others are not picked just yet.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I'd say Johnston is being brought in to train and have a look, I'd say zero chance of involvement in France game, slight chance he gets a few minutes against Latvia. I'd say Keane may have only scraped in with the doubt over Idah. Manning is obviously not favoured, and not rated or trusted by management and it's a marginal call anyway. There's no glaring omission, Hourihane is gone and that was the main change most of us hoped to see. There's a strong starting 11 in there, and there's still a lot of inexperienced players who will benefit from the Latvia game.

I think a draw against France is definitely achievable. If we roll over and get a hammering then that's it for Kenny. A surprise win and the sky is the limit again!

Tallaght Stadium Regular

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Yeah, for me it's more about the Latvia game than the France one in terms of the squad picks. I think the XI for France are more or less there alright, as long as he picks them (I'm not as sold on Manning as many others seem to be).

But the Latvia game just feels like a wasted opportunity already now, other than getting another cap for Ferguson and hopefully seeing Smallbone get a start.
    Ferguson gets a good 45 mins, Smallbone gets a good run, Sykes too. They all do well. Hardly a waste?

I maintain my view that while I’m underwhelmed, there are still iterations of what’s available that could be very interesting.

And I don’t get the general criticism of still relying on Coleman and Doherty. Coleman has shown lately that he’s a seriously good player. Doherty’s lack of game time is a worry, but is a fit-but-not-match-fit Doherty worse than Manning, COD, McNamara, Lyons option on either side? Debatable.

I’m hopeful. I think our pacy forwards can cause trouble if used well and if the ball falls their way. I believe in our young defenders. I think Egan can play at a higher level than he does. I love how Cullen plays. And France always have some poor results in qualification.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Still wont answer the question. Since you want to play like the days of Jack I assume you have players in mind to suit that.
    Don't waste your time Razor. He'll ignore this like he does everything and just return with another trolling one-line anti-Kenny snipe in a few days or so.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Answer the question

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    McGrath is a head shaker and Johnston has not earned a place in our squad yet.

edit: I said disappointing - I'm going to upgrade that to a "fckn brutal". About as conservative as it could have been. How in gods name is Johnston in our squad now?[/QUOTE]

I said on the Coventry thread there'd be no major surprises in inclusions/exclusions or others. Why are people surprised here? This is Kenny. I don't think it's fair to act differently like it's another stick to beat him with. He's been consistent. His backers have clearly said, as kenny himself has that he was building to 2024 qualifying campaign. Why would he be making changes to his squad now at this stage, bar Johnston he isn't and he has stuck to his word. I get the feeling there's people the other side of the river trying to find any means to get across now.

He knows he needs a decent result against France and he's doing that by ensuring a settled squad where everyone knows what's expected of them and how to play the game he wants. The focus will be on France from the get go. The one wildcard is a good motivational tool to bring in that element of surprise into the group. I don't think anyone can say this wasn't expected, hed made it clear johnston was getting in and as we'd all said before the whole way it appeared a month before france was proof of that.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Cannon or Ogbene in 4-5-1.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

I said on the Coventry thread there'd be no major surprises in inclusions/exclusions or others. Why are people surprised here? This is Kenny. I don't think it's fair to act differently like it's another stick to beat him with. He's been consistent. His backers have clearly said, as kenny himself has that he was building to 2024 qualifying campaign. Why would he be making changes to his squad now at this stage, bar Johnston he isn't and he has stuck to his word. I get the feeling there's people the other side of the river trying to find any means to get across now.

He knows he needs a decent result against France and he's doing that by ensuring a settled squad where everyone knows what's expected of them and how to play the game he wants. The focus will be on France from the get go. The one wildcard is a good motivational tool to bring in that element of surprise into the group. I don't think anyone can say this wasn't expected, hed made it clear johnston was getting in and as we'd all said before the whole way it appeared a month before france was proof of that.
    Evan Ferguson is also a new call up to a competitive qualifier squad and what about Sykes and Smallbone?
    I count 4 newcomers in all. Friendly minutes don't count in the scheme of things

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

Why quote me Paul? I said elsewhere, maybe this thread and others, that I thought there was a natural point here to stick or twist (show conservatism or stay true to his mission) and that I’d have hoped for a few other names in there. I thought Manning was a cert (not a new name but a form call) and had hopes for Szmodics or Azaz ahead of McGrath (form calls). SK signalled Johnston but I don’t think any of can say that there’s much evidence it’s the right call. The rationale doesn’t land with me (we have Ogbene as a wide right option). As exgrad pointed out very hilariously, these aren’t really difference makers against that French squad but those are 3-4 players I’d have liked to see in there and where, I thought, with Latvia to play, the timing would make some sense. The spine of what’s got him to this point (a preferred 11-15 players) would still be left intact with those changes.

Who’s on what side of this river of yours by the way?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    edit: I said disappointing - I'm going to upgrade that to a "fckn brutal". About as conservative as it could have been. How in gods name is Johnston in our squad now?
    I don't see it Stu, the brutality, in truth.

Sykes / Smallbone / Ferguson are all very new, all without a competitive cap in fact. He wants to look at Johnston & with Smallbone knocking around a similar creative area of the field, at least he knows what he'll get from McGrath, if you get me ? The other two are completely unproven.

Keane is underwhelming but we aren't exactly leaving an Ibrahimovic at home for him, the only maybe would be Cannon & Ferguson looks better, simply put & you can't blood them all with France looming ( well you can but that would suit France fine ) & that's if Cannon was ready & willing to play senior for us, at this stage, whatever Crawford has said.

Browne is there, but he also has a few goals to his name. I wish we had better, but do we ? Hourihane isn't there & Brady saved Kennys job with a penalty recently & he's not there despite starting Saturday for his club.

McLean is there, Manning isn't. McLean hates the other team having the football, Manning doesn't seem too bothered, let's a lot of runners go past if you notice. Again.... France ... etc. Ideally neither, ideally we have better than both, but we don't.

Travers is lucky IMO, O'Leary & Bonham both actually playing. But its cones duty third keeper we're talking about there, it's not going to impact much

My one gripe would be not looking at Coventry or Hodge for the Cullen role because I sure as s h i t wouldn't like to see any of the others trying to do it anymore, and I think a two yellow suspension for Cullen is likely through the group, he'll be dealing with somebody else's fu ck up giving away possession a lot.

Yes there are players we'd ideally not be needing to pick in this squad, but what's equally key is the lads who didn't make it all need to do more, in fairness.

It was never going to be out with all the old & in with all the new for a potentially tenure ending game v the WC finalists. We've got to keep France honest.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Well firstly… this is not the first time I’ve gone a little bit OTT and dramatic on here and hands up, a bit guilty again on that count, in retrospect.

That said, as per my post above, it’s about 3-4 players who possibly only make sense against Latvia for the reasons you and others point out abou staying competitive v France. But… you still have a Kenny appropriate 11 v France.

Bazunu
    Doherty
    Egan
    Collins
    O’Shea
    McClean
    Cullen
    Molumby
    Knight
    Obafemi
    Parrott

Bench still strong too in that respect, includes:

Kelleher, Travers, Omobamidele, Hendrick, Browne, Ferguson, Keane, Ogbene and rest of the boys

Only gets hairy if you don’t trust Manning (point is fair enough) as you’re a bit light to cover McClean (Doherty serviceable). And maybe in the McGrath role of it is too soon for Sykes or Azaz and too late for Szmodics.

Anyway…I still think it’s a fair concern but is it “fckin brutal”? Nah.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Azaz is interesting but its division three, Curtis looked great there, Harness for a bit, Scully did enough to get a move up & promptly vanished. Clubs generally in that league don't have much by way of international players, whereas clubs in the Championship do. Its a big jump, between those two & I'm ok with seeing how his game translates higher up before hammering Kenny there.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast