Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Latvia - Wednesday, 22nd March 2023 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Thoroughly underwhelmed by some of the selection choices. Seems to have stuck with a bit too much loyalty to a few players rather than those in form. Andy Lyons another who could probably be classed as unlucky not to be included on the LB conundrum.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    agree with most but the defenders we need duffy as back or KEVIN Long Ciaran Clark, too many kids there not good, TRAP AND MON nor JACK trusted youngsters that much, in midfield we need manning ronan and gallagher

attack is ok what about costelloe?

is anything going to be done about this obvious trolling

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    is anything going to be done about this obvious trolling
    Post deleted

BI, you were warned about this
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    mod warning: Cut out the RANDOM ALL caps, Bielsa.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Bit weird that O’Dowda is labelled a defender and Johnston is a forward
    Cos that's where they play now. O'Dowda claimed the left back spot in last window, was one of the few bright spots, and has been playing left back for Cardiff recently. Johnston is a winger/ wide Forward like Ogbene

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Revert to Big Jack - put them under pressure. Kenny's naive tip-tap equals total disaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Revert to Big Jack - put them under pressure. Kenny's naive tip-tap equals total disaster.
    Maybe we should get Niall Quinn to come out of retirement too?

8. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Not a very inspiring squad but that's not the main issue really, it's when they get to camp but no real brave decisions made. The French squad will have a very inexperienced keeper at international level playing in goals. I don't think many of them will be excited about going to Ireland in March. Still coming down off the World Cup loss, same old manager, probably some complacency, maybe a few more squad pull outs. I think there's an opportunity there for us to get a result. A nice, wet evening and you'll never know.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    Think it's pretty clear that Kenny doesn't rate Manning, so I'm surprised people are surprised he's not there. He probably sees him as his fifth choice left wing back if everyone's fit.

All in all the squad has a very short term look about it. There's no planning for the future in that selection and it's easy enough to understand why. All the talk about how things would be different under Kenny and players would be picked on form has come to nothing. It's just a game to game situation now with no future planning for as long as he remains in his post.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    The French squad will have a very inexperienced keeper at international level playing in goals.
    Agreed. Not that Lloris ever reached a level of consistency where you'd be 100% sure of him, but he was head and shoulders above their other keepers. So yes, while these are super professionals, pulling on the Blue jersey to try and solidify yourself as the main man is a big deal, and I would absolutely be saying to pepper their box with shots and crosses in the opening stages. But to do that, you've got to get the ball. A helter-skelter game on a Spring evening is not what France will want - not sure it's what we want either to be honest! A nice sedate boring 0-0 would be a wonderful start, but I don't see it.

I don't think many of them will be excited about going to Ireland in March. Still coming down off the World Cup loss, same old manager, probably some complacency, maybe a few more squad pull outs.
    It's March, plenty of Europe is ****ty at this time of the year, and Dublin is unseasonably warm, so who knows. They'll be well over the world cup hangover (I hope not), but the same old manager - it's Deschamps, he's not done badly over the years.
    Camavinga , Fofana , Hernandez, Pavard, Upamecano, Rabiot, Tchouameni, Griezmann, Mbappe, Thuram - these are all absolute quality players, Kingsley Coman & Giroud are no slouches either, and like it or lump it, our best player doesn't get into their starting XI - actually, I'm not sure any of our players get into their squad. That's the scale of the task. Even when we were at our best in the modern era - Euro 2016 - when they turned on the style and focussed they blitzed us. That was with a "proper management team" as plenty seem to think here.

I think there's an opportunity there for us to get a result. A nice, wet evening and you'll never know.
    Expand on this please, I am genuinely intrigued. What likelihood do you give us on a getting a result - and by result, what exactly do you mean, draw, win, morale boosting sucker punch last minute defeat?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Maybe we should get Niall Quinn to come out of retirement too?
    Good idea. Could do worse than Quinner - your lethal Plan B is Parrott and Idah. Now there's a shiver looking for a spine.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    All in all the squad has a very short term look about it. There's no planning for the future in that selection and it's easy enough to understand why. All the talk about how things would be different under Kenny and players would be picked on form has come to nothing. It's just a game to game situation now with no future planning for as long as he remains in his post.
    Would you humour me and advise of the changes that you would make to the squad that would indicate planning for the future? I would assume it's in relation to selecting McClean and Coleman (instead of manning and Lyons/McNamara), Hendrick and McGrath (instead of say Coventry & Azaz), and Keane (instead of Cannon) - but I don't want to put words in your mouth.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Would you humour me and advise of the changes that you would make to the squad that would indicate planning for the future? I would assume it's in relation to selecting McClean and Coleman (instead of manning and Lyons/McNamara), Hendrick and McGrath (instead of say Coventry & Azaz), and Keane (instead of Cannon) - but I don't want to put words in your mouth.
    Sure. Right wing back. Two lads in their 30s playing there for years and nobody else has been blooded. Browne is a midfielder playing out of position when he plays there. We have a home friendly against Latvia and a chance to give someone a run. Who does he call up? The two lads in their 30s and nobody else. McNamara should have been in last summer.

Central midfield. The sitting position. No obvious cover for Cullen, yet apparently no interest in using the friendly to give Coventry or Hodge a shot there.

Attacking midfield. McGrath over Szmodics or Azaz - seriously?! (I'm aware Szmodics is older than McGrath but he's also playing successfully at a much higher level and there's more to gain from integrating him)

And Keane up front despite no goals in months. If Idah is out I expect we'll see Hogan again, even though he hasn't hit a barn door since Christmas.

This is pure short term-ism from man who knows (from a purely selfish perspective) that there's no point planning for the long term. But his responsibility to Irish football goes beyond his own job security, or at least it should.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 16/03/2023 at 3:48 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Agreed. Not that Lloris ever reached a level of consistency where you'd be 100% sure of him, but he was head and shoulders above their other keepers. So yes, while these are super professionals, pulling on the Blue jersey to try and solidify yourself as the main man is a big deal, and I would absolutely be saying to pepper their box with shots and crosses in the opening stages. But to do that, you've got to get the ball. A helter-skelter game on a Spring evening is not what France will want - not sure it's what we want either to be honest! A nice sedate boring 0-0 would be a wonderful start, but I don't see it.

It's March, plenty of Europe is ****ty at this time of the year, and Dublin is unseasonably warm, so who knows. They'll be well over the world cup hangover (I hope not), but the same old manager - it's Deschamps, he's not done badly over the years.
    Camavinga , Fofana , Hernandez, Pavard, Upamecano, Rabiot, Tchouameni, Griezmann, Mbappe, Thuram - these are all absolute quality players, Kingsley Coman & Giroud are no slouches either, and like it or lump it, our best player doesn't get into their starting XI - actually, I'm not sure any of our players get into their squad. That's the scale of the task. Even when we were at our best in the modern era - Euro 2016 - when they turned on the style and focussed they blitzed us. That was with a "proper management team" as plenty seem to think here.

Expand on this please, I am genuinely intrigued. What likelihood do you give us on a getting a result - and by result, what exactly do you mean, draw, win, morale boosting sucker punch last minute defeat?
    How many of our 2016 starting 11 would have got in the French team? They were at home and blitzed us but only after an hour in that their home tournament. Deschamps has been there years, it might have gone stale after the World Cup. Ireland at home against anyone and we always have a chance. Look at results under our two worst managers even (Kenny and Staunton), we've managed results against top teams. This is not an impossible task.

Since the last Euros, France have been beaten home and away by Denmark, lost and drawn to Croatia, drawn at home to Bosnia, drawn away to Austria and Ukraine, they will be 3 days after what they see as their big match against the Netherlands. This is set up for a good old fashioned ambush. If we had a competent manager I'd be very confident of a draw at least but even with this one, a draw isn't out of the question.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I'd pretty much concur with that. I just can't conceive of a question to which Jamie McGrath is the answer. Wasn't good enough for League 1 and certainly not good enough to merit international selection. Szmodics surely worth consideration for Latvia game, whilst Azaz and Connell are showing outstanding form in a League where McGrath couldn't get a game. On the one hand we're talking about the fringes of the squad, but on the other hand we're seeing obdurate inflexibility from Kenny who sticks with certain players despite an abundance of evidence that they're not good enough. As someone said, it's harder to get dropped from a Kenny squad than it is to break into it at the minute.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I think overall Im happy enough with the squad. There are a few players left out that will be argued about, but that just shows theres competition for places which we didnt have for the longest time. Most seem to be focusing on Manning not being in there, but its not exactly prime Wes being left out is it? O'Dowda claimed the left back spot in the last window and McClean will be in squad until he quits football. Doherty can also cover left back, or wing back. My personal preference for another full back would be Andy Lyons who can play both sides, but I think he'll be there soon enough. Of the defenders left out Darragh Lenihan is probably the hardest done by, but I also have no issue with any of the players picked ahead of him, again good competition for places.

In midfield I look forward to the day when Hendrick is no longer being picked. Browne is not my favorite, but he does cover a number of positions. McGrath is a mystery to me but Kenny likes him. The biggest thing is there are no glaring omissions that would make huge difference. Conor Coventry will probably get in sooner than later. Szmodics is a 27 journeyman, hes grand, but exactly gonna change life for us. Theres a few others on the periphery that may get in over time. Luca Connell and Finn Azaz in particular if they step up a level next season.

Up front I dont get the Will Keane pick, hes already proven not good enough at International level. Cannon is the obvious one that could be there instead, but realistically hes only had a few good games in the Championship yet so his time will come.

The Ferguson to England nonsense being put to bed is great. Smallbone I expect will play in the Latvia game. Overall its still a very young squad that Im happy enough with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Good idea. Could do worse than Quinner - your lethal Plan B is Parrott and Idah. Now there's a shiver looking for a spine.

Who would you actually pick instead of Parrott and Idah? Could do worse than Quinner is just shyte talk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Sure.
    Good man, appreciated.
    I don't disagree with much of what you say, but I'm not sure I think they are all as massive an issue as you make them to be.

Right wing back. Two lads in their 30s playing there for years and nobody else has been blooded. Browne is a midfielder playing out of position when he plays there. We have a home friendly against Latvia and a chance to give someone a run. Who does he call up? The two lads in their 30s and nobody else. McNamara should have been in last summer.
    I do absolutely agree with you here. I think it's a massive oversight not to have blooded Danny.

Central midfield. The sitting position. No obvious cover for Cullen, yet apparently no interest in using the friendly to give Coventry or Hodge a shot there.
    I don't disagree, but would say that I think it might be a touch too soon for Hodge, and I'm not sure Coventry will ever get to the level we need in that position.

Attacking midfield. McGrath over Szmodics or Azaz - seriously?! (I'm aware Szmodics is older than McGrath but he's also playing successfully at a much higher level and there's more to gain from integrating him)
    I don't think it's as big a deal - so long as Will Smallbone starts. If he doesn't...well then, that's a different story (vs Latvia).

And Keane up front despite no goals in months. If Idah is out I expect we'll see Hogan again, even though he hasn't hit a barn door since Christmas.
    Agreed. Its a problem.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Who would you actually pick instead of Parrott and Idah? Could do worse than Quinner is just shyte talk
    You introduced Quinner, buddy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    How many of our 2016 starting 11 would have got in the French team? They were at home and blitzed us but only after an hour in that their home tournament. Deschamps has been there years, it might have gone stale after the World Cup. Ireland at home against anyone and we always have a chance. Look at results under our two worst managers even (Kenny and Staunton), we've managed results against top teams. This is not an impossible task.

Since the last Euros, France have been beaten home and away by Denmark, lost and drawn to Croatia, drawn at home to Bosnia, drawn away to Austria and Ukraine, they will be 3 days after what they see as their big match against the Netherlands. This is set up for a good old fashioned ambush. If we had a competent manager I'd be very confident of a draw at least but even with this one, a draw isn't out of the question.
    1st para fair enough, points I could get on board with (maybe).
    2nd para "Since the last Euros, France have..." been beaten on penalties in the World Cup final in the last international window. E.N.D.

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    Good man, appreciated.
    I don't disagree with much of what you say, but I'm not sure I think they are all as massive an issue as you make them to be.

I do absolutely agree with you here. I think it's a massive oversight not to have blooded Danny.

I don't disagree, but would say that I think it might be a touch too soon for Hodge, and I'm not sure Coventry will ever get to the level we need in that position.

I don't think it's as big a deal - so long as Will Smallbone starts. If he doesn't...well then, that's a different story (vs Latvia).

Agreed. Its a problem.
    Yeah, for me it's more about the Latvia game than the France one in terms of the squad picks. I think the XI for France are more or less there alright, as long as he picks them (I'm not as sold on Manning as many others seem to be).

But the Latvia game just feels like a wasted opportunity already now, other than getting another cap for Ferguson and hopefully seeing Smallbone get a start.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast