Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Latvia - Wednesday, 22nd March 2023 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    In the absence of a real answer I'm going to have to go ahead and assume that the perceived unsuitability is due to the 2 guys suggested never having played or coached in the League of Ireland. I can't look inside your mind, but in my experience that's what it boils down to for the majority of those still defending this shambolic regime.
    Given the penchant for blaming Kenny for all ills, and crediting coaches for all gains - not you generally backs, mutual appreciation between us is clear - then JOSh as coach with more experience than either of the two referred, should be ridding us of tjose defensive mistakes surely? Yet last night there was more again ( as referred to in my analysis post above).

The reason i havent substantiated my point is that others have done it for me.
    Sometimes no matter what a manager does, players will fuxk up. Id love to see mistakes to goals ratio for us and against us.

They have 63 caps for Ireland between them, a strong coaching pedigree, and both having prior experience of working in international football, but what would any of that matter?

If only Steve Staunton had come home and played for Drogheda for 12 months we might never have got rid of him.

That's what I would hope for. I imagine the back 3 last night means we're looking at a back 5 against France. Though likely with a lot less wing and a lot more back.
    Given the potential for Ferguson to end up quite isolated, I'd say pace coming from wide areas will be important. Our best chance of a goal from open play is likely to be a counter attack. If the ball comes to Ferguson he will get a chance to hold it up but the support needs to get to him quicker than the French so he can lay it off and hopefully a green wave sweeps up the field quicker than the French can get back.
    I think well see evan dropping a bit deeper to act as link. I knew it was good, i was surprised by jow good it was last night, albeit a litle telegraphed. If they can work on the reverse switch where he takes and lays off to the pushing midfielder to feed first time into the space hes vacated, then it keeps the oppoaition defence much more honest.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    The six role is a problem, with few obvious alternatives to Cullen identifiable within the squad that Kenny named.

Given his form, I thought Conor Coventry might have been given an opportunity to impress, even if just in training.

Molumby is never going to provide the same assuring presence at the base of our midfield as Cullen, lacking the same discipline, tactical awareness and willingness to make himself available, even in tight areas, for the simple pass that makes Cullen so indispensable.

Molumby's strengths lie elsewhere, and I think he did some good things last night. We will certainly need his energy and tenacity against the French.

Really, though, we need to look at reducing our complete reliance on one player and start developing some other viable options.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    This is the Paul O'Shea that I ****ing detest. I know what you're referring to, you know what you're referring to, and it grates me the type of wummery that you engage in, that was absolutely destroyed in fora not associated with foot.ie.

Aiden McGeady was our standout player in the 2012 qualifying campaign, and you and a couple of others pilloried him. I spent the guts of about a week going through every game in that campaign cataloguing the interactions he had and posting them here, and essentially, you replied "nah, I disagree" when facts couldn't be argued against.

I'll happily do the same over the weekend for Molumby last night - it just might take a while. I'm just disappointed that it requires that analysis to be posted here.
    Someone also did a 5 min montage of Hendrick I think it was. I've worked jobs where I'm sure for 1000+ mins I didn't do much but for 5 mins I was great. You get the point though. You can pick and choose whatever you decide to use as facts. Doesn't mean your opinion or the argument is right. Only recently a man got put away for capital murder with the two sides producing conflicting evidence to suggest a mental disorder or not at the time. You can present facts whatever way you want. Its for peer review to then decide. And your peers have decided. You would be very hard pressed outside of a Celtic(Ireland, I mean) fan that would tell you Aidan McGeady was a good player for us. All show and no end product and thats still the case, revisionism wont even change that fact.

This forum is all about ones perception of things, similar to any evidence provided and credibility one has to reference previous posters credibility. And of course I'll do that as is oft time done to me and all on this forum. Your past doesn't have to dictate your future (perception) though but its a good place to balance when the evidence is presesnted.

There is no disputing, then or now that McGeady was an effective player for Ireland( or his club career but I'm not in a position to opine on that, that said I think it and his trajectory speaks for itself), if you're wrong about something dont get wound up about it. Own it and move on. You were and are still wrong about McGeady and the general public is not on your side either. He had a great game against Georgia in a whole career that did very little to make up for all the frustrations.

Anyway - now back to and leading onto - about Molumby youre also wrong(again) but you can go off and do your homework for the weekend like a good little schoolboy I'm sure hes done a few things well last night. THe problem is for a fantasist like you that puts yourself in situations that arent necessarily true is you can jargon and bedargle people into thinking you know what youre talking about. It's a dangerous skill to possess though or it potentially can be. Theres many netflix docs out about these kind of people. Hopefully people dont get hoodwinked on here though. No offence Kingers , no better man for a pint! : )

I didn't think the Cullen role existed last night to be honest. I thought it looked more a 2 of Browne and Molumby with Smallbone advanced, where Browne and Molumby would alternate going forward.
    Happy to stand corrected though.
    Well if the intended lineup was that Molumby was meant to play the Cullen role or the instruction was to play that way it either wasnt delivered correctly or its like you suggest. Because there was a gaping big hole where Cullen would normally be in that midfield last night.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 23/03/2023 at 3:28 PM. Reason: Multi quote
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I wouldn't rave about Molumby to the same level as Kingdom, but I do think the RTE rating is very harsh. His bite in the tackle created the first goal, he was decent on the ball for the most part and I'd say he was overall more effective than Browne. That doesn't take away from the fact we lost control of the middle and the first goal in particular came from an area of the field where you expect your deepest lying midfielder to be covering. I think he had a big task because for all the quality of Smallbone on the ball he's not brilliant off it and Browne was driving forward a lot but making poor decisions which left him out of position so Molumby was left covering a lot of ground for both of them. I'd say he was a solid 7 and I'd certainly have him in the middle with Cullen against France. The other spot is probably the more debatable but I'd imagine Knight is still ahead of Smallbone and Browne for it.

I'd see the France lineup like this;
    Bazunu
    Doherty
    Collins
    Egan
    O'Shea
    O'Dowda
    Molumby
    Cullen
    Knight
    Obafemi
    Ferguson

There's a few marginal ones. Possibly Coleman right wingback and push Doherty left, or even go with McLean's experience on the left. Omobamidele/Collins/O'Shea are all possibilities for different reasons, Omobamidele is the quickest, Collins the biggest and arguable most aggressive playing out and O'Shea is solid all round.

It would be a disappointment to most of us but probably can't rule out Hendrick in the middle three at the expense of Knight, the big gamble would be keeping Smallbone ahead of both.

There may also be the option to leave Obafemi on the bench and start Knight or Smallbone there, opening up another spot for Hendrick or Browne. I can't see a scenario where Ferguson doesn't start now.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    That doesn't take away from the fact we lost control of the middle and the first goal in particular came from an area of the field where you expect your deepest lying midfielder to be covering. I think he had a big task because for all the quality of Smallbone on the ball he's not brilliant off it and Browne was driving forward a lot but making poor decisions which left him out of position so Molumby was left covering a lot of ground for both of them. I'd say he was a solid 7 and I'd certainly have him in the middle with Cullen against France.
    This was Latvia, 2 games or so into their season maybe even less. I don't think there was much to ask of him really. What stood out for me yesterday was he lost the ball on two separate occasions when he really shouldnt have and then he tried to foul to get back. He should have been bossing those latvians in midfield, he plays at a much higher week in week out.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 23/03/2023 at 5:04 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Molumby was good last night, has been good in previous games and has been very good for WBA all season. He will be vital to us as a disruptor against France. We will need his bit of nastiness in midfield... but he and we missed Cullen last night.

Cullen in a stabilizing influence in that midfield and he allows Molumby to chase around a bit more. There was a few times last night that he got on the ball a was very direct in driving forward. When he did there was no cover in behind. Browne was an empty shirt as he often is.

Molumby for me is one of 1st names on the teamsheet these days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post

I'd see the France lineup like this;
    Bazunu
    Doherty
    Collins
    Egan
    O'Shea
    O'Dowda
    Molumby
    Cullen
    Knight
    Obafemi
    Ferguson
    I think this is probably it for me too. As you say, Coleman v Doherty is the major call. I didnt see the game last night so cant comment but Doherty may have been a bit off form but you would fancy his pace and strength in defense while for Coleman, who has been doing well for Everton against some tricky wingers, he has slowed down. The other call, i think, is Ogbene or Obafemi. Ogbene's energy and pace could give you a pretty effective first line of defense whereas Obafemi, while I really like him, might be more of a "passenger". Its going to be a tough night and lots of ways to look at it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    It's begining to look a lot like the Staunton era. Purple patches of good play and then complete abandon of defensive structure and duties. We've gone so far away from the deep lying midfielder and low block to carefree attacking like cows out of the shed after a long winter in spring. Our players are playing with carefree abandonment. It's all so very naive.

I think it's clear Kennys lack of experience at a higher level is showing he just doesn't know how to set us up to play defensively and doesn't have the ability to see the gaps and structure cos he's just not used to having to deal with that quick turnover a few passes later and a goal. He's so tactically naive. How often can we concede goals from outside the 18 yard box from so called minnows time and again? They all look at our matches and yet we never learn. France could destroy us Monday

As eirambler says and a few others it's nice to see smallbone and Ferguson showing well for what hopefully are the near future and not " the future *

Maybe in terms of results Paul? Staunton failed with a better bunch though. It was all the more glaring when he had some of our best players of the past 3 or 4 decades to pick from, some of whom were right in their prime e.g. Dunne, Finnan, O'Shea and Keane. 2007 was a fairly stellar year for a lot of them. Not from memory but using a bit of Googling: Dunne got his 3rd POTY in a row for Man City, Finnan played in the CL final, O'Shea had a great year with United and Keane struck up his Berbatov partnership at Spurs and had his best ever year (31 goals and 13 assists in 40 appearances and the highest PL scorer in that calendar year)............... Then we got taken apart by an out of form Cyprus. Look on the bright side, we just beat Latvia with nobody near those players in terms of ability or form.

That's not to excuse the lack of adjustment for long range shots or the general sense of chaos that seems to strike us after conceding a goal. Last night wasn't pretty in parts, particularly in the middle but there were some good moments further up the pitch.

Would it be fair to say you don't seem to rate many of the players on their individual threads but you also don't rate the mgmt team? Would like to hear your ideal starting 11 and tactical approach with the current squad.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I am reluctant to argue that I still see progress being made with the development of this side as it will seem to some that it is blind faith in Kenny, but there was evidence of continued improvement. That said there were backward steps in areas also, maybe due to players selected or maybe not retaining areas worked on before eg defensive cohesion. Either way we will all know a lot more about where we are come next week. In my memory, even at our highest ranking, we could struggle against the lower ranked teams and then beat one of the aristocrats of European football days later. We have had a glimpse of this trait under the current management in the games against Portugal and Serbia to a lesser extent yet humbled by Luxembourg and scrape a result v Malta. For this reason alone I wont rule out a result. It doesnt mean I am not terrified by the prospect of Mbappe et al bombing in to the box leaving a half dozen Irish lads on their ass in the process. Is a good performance but zéro point acceptable to those who dont rate Kenny?

On last night specifically, I found it very frustrating when a ball was played into centre mid, with space, and Browne, usually, sending the ball back to a defender when there were other options, turnng or passing but opting to kill the forward momentum. Fine if you are closed down no channels available and you need to recycle possessin and build from the back again but that wasnt the case last night. People have commented on the 1st half hour being good yet there was too many aborted attacks for this reason. I dnt think this is simply a manager/tactics issue but a calibre of player or player out of position issue, to give Browne the benefit of the doubt. Maybe its been mentined but the for the first goal it was a sloppy short backward pass that had the defender lunge for the ball as he was closed that was the 'creative' moment that sparked the attack and the good interplay to wide right and cross. The changes in midfield as others have mentined that are likely for this weekend, if played last night, we'd have really overwhelmed Latvia. There wont be the same space in these fixtures but going forward, against the groups minnow (it really is a horror group with only 6 pre banked points, toughest in my memory), the change of midfield personnel and we'd have been out of sight by HT.

As for the comments on Staunton returning to LoI to play for Drogheda, even metaphorically, why would he have done that, why use such an example? Have people forgtten the the lovable lilting tone of his home town accent??? Drogheda?? Christ on a bike....and I never even liked Staunton....backstothewall blocked for spewing such a vile thought...I have to go and lie down!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 23/03/2023 at 6:42 PM.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    For France I wouldn't play Doherty. I don't think he did nearly enough last night and he's a lazy defender. His link up play was more down to Smallbone making the right runs that him doing anything particularly special. Mbappe would roast him.

I'm not sure Omobamidele did enough either. I like him but he was badly caught out for the run of their attacker in the first half and looks a little rusty. They should have scored from that.

I'd go:

----------Bazunu
    ----Collins Egan O'Shea
    Coleman----------O'Dowda
    ----Cullen Molumby
    -------Knight
    --Ferguson Obafemi

Tempted to just play one up top and add someone like Smallbone who might give us a good outball but I'll go with the two strikers to press and harass until they need to be taken off or we need another midfielder.

I like the excitement around Johnston and he's a very Kenny type of winger but I think he just looked good against a fairly poor and tired Latvia. Wouldn't think he's near the 11. The guy couldn't make it at Celtic. He'll hopefully be a useful impact sub for us but I can't see him being effective against France unless the games turns out very different to what you'd expect.

I wish we'd tried Ogbene out at RWB last night or in previous games. Some pace there would be nice. Or tried Collins in midfield.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Interesting.
    Woild you humour me by elaborating why youd drop Dara?
    I can see the merits of having Egan on thensane side as Doc. But i think Seamie and Nathan on the same side would be troubling possibly and would resteict ONE of his natural gidts which is coking out with the ball (centrally).

Youd stsrt Johnston too? Thats a very attack.minded midfield with little cover - dont necesarily disagree either, i like them all individually.
    Obviously our best chance of getting a result on Monday is keeping a clean sheet. I doubt there's too many in the country who wouldn't settle for a 0-0 draw ahead of the game and I'm no different. The reason for Egan is that there's going to be a lot of defending to be done, and one lapse in concertation by a defender can undo a lot of good work in an instant. For this game I think experience is vital. In my opinion it's very close between O'Shea and Andrew O, but that experience gives Egan the edge. I would have played Shane Duffy had he been available - club form be damned.

I was very sceptical about the Johnson call up (much more so than I let on but I'm reluctant to start slagging a guy off before he's even been on the pitch), but I was pleasantly surprised by him last night. The reason I would pick him (and Ogbene) is pace. There's very little between our options in wide areas, but they seem like the 2 fastest option we have in those positions. That extra bit of speed and acceleration might be the difference between a counter attack being snuffed out or not.

By way of a reply to your post above Re: Carsley/Reid. If we pull off a famous victory I'll have 2 things on my face - a huge amount of egg and a massive smile. But I feel we urgently need a change. You mentioned John O'Shea who I would be very happy to see take over the reins. Within reason the fact of a change is probably as important as the personalities involved. I'm sure Stephen Kenny is a decent man but for whatever reason it isn't working. I doubt he's naïve enough not to realise that the sack is an occupational hazard in his line of work. It's a results based business and at that level he has failed.

As a hypothetical, were Stephen Kenny to pack it in on Monday evening in favour of pursuing his dream of becoming a sheep farmer in Connemara or working on the dodgems in a travelling funfair, who would you suggest are suitable candidates to take over?
    Last edited by backstothewall; 23/03/2023 at 6:27 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post

I like the excitement around Johnston and he's a very Kenny type of winger but I think he just looked good against a fairly poor and tired Latvia. Wouldn't think he's near the 11. The guy couldn't make it at Celtic. .
    Neither could, say, Luca Connell, yet the Barnsley fans have him as their player of the season and the consensus amongst them on their forum seems to be that he's far too good for League 1 and will end up playing in the Premier League.

He didn't make a single start for Celtic.

I think it may have been mentioned on here by a few different posters that Celtic is not a good place for a youngster to develop..... :-)

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Im struggling to make up my mind of what team I'd go with against France. Last night changed a few things. I wonder was Smallbone taken off because he had done enough in Kennys mind to start on Monday?

Bazunu
    Doherty Omobamidele Egan Collins McClean
    Molumby Cullen Smallbone
    Obafemi Ferguson

Bazunu a no brainer for me, and will be a no brainer until Kelleher proves he can be goalkeeper who starts games regularly.

Id still lean towards Doherty at RWB for his pace against Mbappe, but also he is better going forward than Coleman these days and that is where France have potential weakness when Mbappe doesnt cover back.

Omobamidele again for his pace to cover the right side of defense, and again Id consider Coleman here because he still has defensive class. 50/50 call for me.

Egan improved us when he came on, adds a big of solidity that we lack with the younger defenders just yet. He'd be my captain.

Collins would edge it for me over O'Shea. Though neither had a great game yesterday but Collins ability to bring ball out of defense and his size is what would make me go with him.

McClean is another 50/50 over O'Dowda who I actually like in that left back spot. Id go with McClean because of his experience and pure passion. Hes the type that might put in a big tackle early and get us going. (He also could get sent off in 1st 15 mins)

Cullen another no brainer. Transforms us in midfield.

Molumby for reasons I've given in previous post.

Smallbone. This is a big call. Kenny has said he doesnt believe in sitting back and defending for 90 mins because it only invites constant pressure. I think he might go with Smallbone for his ability to get on the ball and take that pressure off us at times.

Obafemi I thought was good last night. Hes powerful and fast, could be vital on a counter attack. His flick to put Browne in for what should have been 3 nil yesterday was brilliant.

Ferguson has to start. Theres no doubt about it.

Theres plenty of arguments to be had in a lot of different positions, and I love that we are starting to get a bit of competition for places, for far too long a mediocre team was picking itself and we only looked like we could score through Shane Duffy. The average age of 23 last night shows the transition period we have been in. BTW, any comparison to the Staunton era is total boll1x when you see what Staunton had to work with.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Neither could, say, Luca Connell, yet the Barnsley fans have him as their player of the season and the consensus amongst them on their forum seems to be that he's far too good for League 1 and will end up playing in the Premier League.

I think it may have been mentioned on here by a few different posters that Celtic is not a good place for a youngster to develop..... :-)
    Nah that's the type of discussion that I'd notice as it sounds like it would go on and on and make no real progress.

Completely fair point though.

Not writing him off at all. He's only 23 and it was exciting when he got on the ball albeit the level of match fitness and ability of Latvia played its part. But where would he play v France?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Someone also did a 5 min montage of Hendrick I think it was. I've worked jobs where I'm sure for 1000+ mins I didn't do much but for 5 mins I was great. You get the point though. You can pick and choose whatever you decide to use as facts. Doesn't mean your opinion or the argument is right. Only recently a man got put away for capital murder with the two sides producing conflicting evidence to suggest a mental disorder or not at the time. You can present facts whatever way you want. Its for peer review to then decide. And your peers have decided. You would be very hard pressed outside of a Celtic(Ireland, I mean) fan that would tell you Aidan McGeady was a good player for us. All show and no end product and thats still the case, revisionism wont even change that fact.

This forum is all about ones perception of things, similar to any evidence provided and credibility one has to reference previous posters credibility. And of course I'll do that as is oft time done to me and all on this forum. Your past doesn't have to dictate your future (perception) though but its a good place to balance when the evidence is presesnted.

There is no disputing, then or now that McGeady was an effective player for Ireland( or his club career but I'm not in a position to opine on that, that said I think it and his trajectory speaks for itself), if you're wrong about something dont get wound up about it. Own it and move on. You were and are still wrong about McGeady and the general public is not on your side either. He had a great game against Georgia in a whole career that did very little to make up for all the frustrations.

Anyway - now back to and leading onto - about Molumby youre also wrong(again) but you can go off and do your homework for the weekend like a good little schoolboy I'm sure hes done a few things well last night. THe problem is for a fantasist like you that puts yourself in situations that arent necessarily true is you can jargon and bedargle people into thinking you know what youre talking about. It's a dangerous skill to possess though or it potentially can be. Theres many netflix docs out about these kind of people. Hopefully people dont get hoodwinked on here though. No offence Kingers , no better man for a pint! : )

Well if the intended lineup was that Molumby was meant to play the Cullen role or the instruction was to play that way it either wasnt delivered correctly or its like you suggest. Because there was a gaping big hole where Cullen would normally be in that midfield last night.

Anyway about Molumby youre also wrong(again) but you can go off and do your homework for the weekend like a good little schoolboy I'm sure hes done a few things well last night.

Im very comfortable in my opinion, in my observations, and thats from working hard at looking at progressive coaching drills and working with good coaches and trying to develop my own skillset in that regard for roughly 20 yrs. Including spending an afternoon in georges park watching englands own youth teams and how they prepare - at my own cost. Im satisfied that the respect earnednin that work from a pro licence holder father.of a current irish international PL player, and a formsr womens Senior team manager is enouhh to c9nhince me that i know a little ajout what im talking about.
    And on the basis of that, and developing players in that regard, im extrmeley comfortable and owning it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Obviously our best chance of getting a result on Monday is keeping a clean sheet. I doubt there's too many in the country who wouldn't settle for a 0-0 draw ahead of the game and I'm no different. The reason for Egan is that there's going to be a lot of defending to be done, and one lapse in concertation by a defender can undo a lot of good work in an instant. For this game I think experience is vital. In my opinion it's very close between O'Shea and Andrew O, but that experience gives Egan the edge. I would have played Shane Duffy had he been available - club form be damned.

I was very sceptical about the Johnson call up (much more so than I let on but I'm reluctant to start slagging a guy off before he's even been on the pitch), but I was pleasantly surprised by him last night. The reason I would pick him (and Ogbene) is pace. There's very little between our options in wide areas, but they seem like the 2 fastest option we have in those positions. That extra bit of speed and acceleration might be the difference between a counter attack being snuffed out or not.

By way of a reply to your post above Re: Carsley/Reid. If we pull off a famous victory I'll have 2 things on my face - a huge amount of egg and a massive smile. But I feel we urgently need a change. You mentioned John O'Shea who I would be very happy to see take over the reins. Within reason the fact of a change is probably as important as the personalities involved. I'm sure Stephen Kenny is a decent man but for whatever reason it isn't working. I doubt he's naïve enough not to realise that the sack is an occupational hazard in his line of work. It's a results based business and at that level he has failed.

As a hypothetical, were Stephen Kenny to pack it in on Monday evening in favour of pursuing his dream of becoming a sheep farmer in Connemara or working on the dodgems in a travelling funfair, who would you suggest are suitable candidates to take over?
    Yhanks BTW, appreciate that. Valid points that i mighht.not agree with, esp. Duffy, but i understand the logic behind i and where youre coming from. .

On the last point, how about give me till friday week ( allowing for the result) and ill throw out a few names.
    Fair?
    And if i dont reply as ill have forgotten, then drop me a pm to remind.me, genuinely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post

If I had a chice between making it at Celtic or getting regulat game in the Portuguese top flight with a club possibly qualifying for Europe, on the basis of which would be better for player development, Vitoria is the only choice. Getting kicked about by some highland muck savages is no good for any yung player with international ambition. Cullen is a good example of a player that has benefitted from European football albeit doubtfully at the same technical leval as in Liga Port. Its good to hear that Connell is being talked about like that by Barnsley fans - there are no better judges on a players ability than in the court of football fanatics!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts

A virus in the Dutch camp before their game tomorrow night,let’s hope a few of the French catch it!!!!!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I like the excitement around Johnston and he's a very Kenny type of winger but I think he just looked good against a fairly poor and tired Latvia. Wouldn't think he's near the 11. The guy couldn't make it at Celtic. He'll hopefully be a useful impact sub for us but I can't see him being effective against France unless the games turns out very different to what you'd expect.
    I wonder will he turn out to be a bit like Ogbene in that regard? Think there was scepticism around him as a League One player, but then put in a really good cameo on his debut (was it that game in Hungary?) and caused everyone to sit up a bit. But a year or two later, and there's a general view that while he gives 120% on the pitch, he's probably not quite up to the level required and has fallen slightly down the pecking order in people's choices I'd say.

Either way, he seems to have proven a few sceptics (myself included) wrong yesterday, so he'll always have that!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Molumby for me is one of 1st names on the teamsheet these days

That's some endorsement. He's preferable to Brown and Hendrick, may have the edge on Knight if we want to include Smallbone as a creative influence, but he's a decent championship player, and I still hope that in a year or two, we'll have better midfield options available.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast