Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Latvia - Wednesday, 22nd March 2023 - Friendly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I was out and didn't see the game, caught commentary on the way home, so only going by highlights and reports. Interesting that RTE seemed to rate Molumby as our poorest performer and gave Obafemi an 8. There's huge scope for subjective judgement, but that's some discrepancy. Don't know who's right until I see the game. Think it's harsh to blame Kelleher for either goal, but just to prove that my Liverpool supporting spectacles don't completely occlude objectivity, I'd agree with giving Bazunu the nod for France. Otherwise I think Collins will play, though Andy's pace might be helpful to help Coleman against Mbappe. I'd keep Obafemi alongside Ferguson who might otherwise get isolated and would also reward Smallbone. Toss up between Molumby and Knight for the third midfield spot, but probably opt for Molumby for his defensive abilities.
    I'd go with RTE for those players mentioned. Obafemi was doing lots well in the first half. Molumby is and has been one of our poorer performers, he was nowhere in midfield when smallbone and ferguson were catching the eye most notably when Lativa got on the ball on occasion and in one instance leading to a goal. If Smallbone was tasked with getting forward and interlinking play between the lines then Molumby was definitely tasked with dropping and reducing the space. He failed miserably. He had the first cap(s) bounce but he's an extremely limited player. It'll prove as it always does on foot.ie over time for even the likes of kingdom to see Just like it did with McGeady...actually I'm not sure it did.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 23/03/2023 at 1:05 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Molumby is a strange one. I went to Tallaght a few years back to see the u21s against Italy and he was terrific that night. He really hasn't kicked on in green since then (though West Brom fans seem to think he's been terrific for them).
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Molumby was playing Cullen’s role which is about sitting/ linking play. His strength however is his energy and intensity in disrupting the play of the opposition. Sometimes he’s too enthusiastic in that role, see Armenia, but if it he can control the headless moments he is prone to, that type of player is an asset in every team. I'd start him, Cullen and Smallbone in midfield against France.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Havent been able to catch anything other than the goals and a few other snippets of action on twitter so just came here to say a couple of things...

1. I was wrong about Johnston. Saw two snippets plus his work for the goal. Looks like a find. Hope he can kick on and sort things out at club level as it would be a really positive thing for us potentially.
    2. Great to hear/read about the performance of Smallbone. The play for the first goal was great all by itself and he was involved in the second. Credit to Kenny for bringing him through.
    3. Not sure (based on the angles I've seen) that Kelleher should take too much flack for the goals. The nick off Collins for the second would have made a massive difference with no time to readjust.
    4. Yay for Ferguson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I don't know if I'd use the word unsuitable for Carsley, but I would for Reid considering he's not even a coach anymore.

Carsley is potentially interesting, but a huge gamble considering his lack of any management experience apart from few games with Eng u21s, so I could see why some would consider him unsuitable
    Carsley has experience at a much higher level than Kenny, and over a longer period. Reid was a massively rated coach when he was at Forest. I think he'll be a future manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Havent been able to catch anything other than the goals and a few other snippets of action on twitter so just came here to say a couple of things...

1. I was wrong about Johnston. Saw two snippets plus his work for the goal. Looks like a find. Hope he can kick on and sort things out at club level as it would be a really positive thing for us potentially.
    2. Great to hear/read about the performance of Smallbone. The play for the first goal was great all by itself and he was involved in the second. Credit to Kenny for bringing him through.
    3. Not sure (based on the angles I've seen) that Kelleher should take too much flack for the goals. The nick off Collins for the second would have made a massive difference with no time to readjust.
    4. Yay for Ferguson.
    3. For the first goal his feet were all over the place and he almost tripped over himself. He dived but barely reached halfway up the post. A match sharp goalie would have gotten a hand to the ball, may not have stopped it, but would have had a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Yeah agree. In the same way Matt Doherty showed a lack of match fitness, I think Kelleher’s reaction speed showed a lack of match sharpness. He was was caught flat footed/ on his heels for the first goal. Think about it. The shot was to his left and he tried to save it with his right hand. Not saying he should be saving it, it was a clean and powerful strike, but he should be making a better stab at it by being on his toes.
    Should he be doing better on the second? Not sure, but it was a deflection that stayed within his reach.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    My team for Monday:

1. Kelleher/Bazunu
    RWB Coleman (Doherty to replace as Coleman tires)
    LWB Johnston/O'Dowda
    CB Egan (Omabamidele was disappointing V Latvia)
    CB O'Shea (despite giving away a shocker of a pass the other night)
    CB Collins
    DM Cullen
    CM Molumby
    CM Hendrick (has experience and not been too bad in the last couple of years. Hasn't reached 2016 heights though)
    AM Smallbone (perhaps replaced by Ogbene or Obafemi if we're chasing the game late on)
    CF Ferguson

i'm baffled at the absence of Brady in the squad. Has he been injured?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    3. For the first goal his feet were all over the place and he almost tripped over himself. He dived but barely reached halfway up the post. A match sharp goalie would have gotten a hand to the ball, may not have stopped it, but would have had a chance.
    Yeah ~ ~ He was no-where near it ~ ~ He may not have saved it but he has to make a better effort that that anyway.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. The angle from behind the goal isnt too flattering and his starting position was fine, the reason i wouldnt go too hard on him was that it was a postage stamp strike so odds may have been against him either way. I do get what you are saying though. Could have done better. Either way, I've been backing Bazunu strongly all along and that doesn't change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    My team for Monday:

1. Kelleher/Bazunu
    RWB Coleman (Doherty to replace as Coleman tires)
    LWB Johnston/O'Dowda
    CB Egan (Omabamidele was disappointing V Latvia)
    CB O'Shea (despite giving away a shocker of a pass the other night)
    CB Collins
    DM Cullen
    CM Molumby
    CM Hendrick (has experience and not been too bad in the last couple of years. Hasn't reached 2016 heights though)
    AM Smallbone (perhaps replaced by Ogbene or Obafemi if we're chasing the game late on)
    CF Ferguson

i'm baffled at the absence of Brady in the squad. Has he been injured?
    Re Brady: Out of form and on the bench for PNE. Saw him come on as a sub against Rotherham recently and he did alright. I think he has just dropped down the pecking order for Kenny given McClean and the emergence of O'Dowda as an option there who is playing there week in, week out and doing very well by all accounts.

Would it not make more sense to keep Smallbone there instead of Hendrick and have the pace of Obafemi or Ogbene beside Ferguson or are you thinking of the extra man in midfield to address France's pace on the counter? I fear Ferguson could be very isolated up top, we'd just be giving the ball back to France all night and an outlet like those two might to some extent keep their defense more honest? Not really an attractive proposition either way you look at it, i suppose!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    It'll prove as it always does on foot.ie over time for even the likes of kingdom to see Just like it did with McGeady...actually I'm not sure it did.
    This is the Paul O'Shea that I ****ing detest. I know what you're referring to, you know what you're referring to, and it grates me the type of wummery that you engage in, that was absolutely destroyed in fora not associated with foot.ie.

Aiden McGeady was our standout player in the 2012 qualifying campaign, and you and a couple of others pilloried him. I spent the guts of about a week going through every game in that campaign cataloguing the interactions he had and posting them here, and essentially, you replied "nah, I disagree" when facts couldn't be argued against.

I'll happily do the same over the weekend for Molumby last night - it just might take a while. I'm just disappointed that it requires that analysis to be posted here.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Would it not make more sense to keep Smallbone there instead of Hendrick and have the pace of Obafemi or Ogbene beside Ferguson or are you thinking of the extra man in midfield to address France's pace on the counter? I fear Ferguson could be very isolated up top, we'd just be giving the ball back to France all night and an outlet like those two might to some extent keep their defense more honest? Not really an attractive proposition either way you look at it, i suppose!
    That's pretty similar to what I have

--------------------- Bazunu -------------------
    Coleman Collins Omobamidele Egan Doherty
    -- Ogbene - Smallbone - Cullen - Johnston --
    ------------------- Ferguson -------------------
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Molumby was playing Cullen’s role which is about sitting/ linking play. His strength however is his energy and intensity in disrupting the play of the opposition. Sometimes he’s too enthusiastic in that role, see Armenia, but if it he can control the headless moments he is prone to, that type of player is an asset in every team. I'd start him, Cullen and Smallbone in midfield against France.
    I didn't think the Cullen role existed last night to be honest. I thought it looked more a 2 of Browne and Molumby with Smallbone advanced, where Browne and Molumby would alternate going forward.
    Happy to stand corrected though.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    To me, it looked like Molumby and Browne were both trying to do the same thing at times, and got in each other's way.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    From Kenny's Kids:

Since the start of 2021, 39% of the goals Ireland have conceded came from outside the box - which is a higher percentage than any other European nation. Scotland have the second highest rate with 26%.

One in every ten shots Ireland face from outside the box result in a goal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KennysKid...C9ybDkub4tAAAA

I have said it before; there is obviously more to this than just 'bad luck'.

It happens time and again and yet never seems to be addressed.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I didn't think the Cullen role existed last night to be honest. I thought it looked more a 2 of Browne and Molumby with Smallbone advanced, where Browne and Molumby would alternate going forward.
    Happy to stand corrected though.
    No, I think you’re right. Molumby and Browne the base, Smallbone advanced.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    This is the Paul O'Shea that I ****ing detest. I know what you're referring to, you know what you're referring to, and it grates me the type of wummery that you engage in, that was absolutely destroyed in fora not associated with foot.ie.

Aiden McGeady was our standout player in the 2012 qualifying campaign, and you and a couple of others pilloried him. I spent the guts of about a week going through every game in that campaign cataloguing the interactions he had and posting them here, and essentially, you replied "nah, I disagree" when facts couldn't be argued against.

I'll happily do the same over the weekend for Molumby last night - it just might take a while. I'm just disappointed that it requires that analysis to be posted here.
    You shouldn't have wasted your time replying to that sh1te, unbelievable wumming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    That's pretty similar to what I have

--------------------- Bazunu -------------------
    Coleman Collins Omobamidele Egan Doherty
    -- Ogbene - Smallbone - Cullen - Johnston --
    ------------------- Ferguson -------------------
    Interesting.
    Woild you humour me by elaborating why youd drop Dara?
    I can see the merits of having Egan on thensane side as Doc. But i think Seamie and Nathan on the same side would be troubling possibly and would resteict ONE of his natural gidts which is coking out with the ball (centrally).

Youd stsrt Johnston too? Thats a very attack.minded midfield with little cover - dont necesarily disagree either, i like them all individually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    From Kenny's Kids:

Since the start of 2021, 39% of the goals Ireland have conceded came from outside the box - which is a higher percentage than any other European nation. Scotland have the second highest rate with 26%.

One in every ten shots Ireland face from outside the box result in a goal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KennysKid...C9ybDkub4tAAAA

I have said it before; there is obviously more to this than just 'bad luck'.

It happens time and again and yet never seems to be addressed.
    Yes, it is a worry, and surelymis.more than a coincidence, particularly when it isnt something we do a juge amount of ourselves (as big a concern imo).

30. Thanks From:

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast