Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Latvia - Wednesday, 22nd March 2023 - Friendly

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    But that won't be for a while sadly. In the mean time we'll continue to concede worldies from outside the box and wonder how it is that it keeps happening. Must just be bad luck I suppose...
    The worldies question is an interesting one. I can count four in Kenny's time - Luxembourg H, Azerbaijan H, Armenia A and Latvia H - but it feels like there's one or two more? This is proper 30-yard top corner hits rather than just any aul shot from outside the box.

Those four all really well placed though - Armenia in off the post for example, Azerbaijan into the inside side netting, and so on - and while you can say Kelleher's footwork looks to let him down badly (though it might have gone in anyway; blaming him for the second is just bizarre), the reality is shots from 30 yards out are rarely so well placed. Most of them go high, wide and handsome to ironic cheers. Others are into the keeper's midriff.

I guess there's two likely reasons why we've conceded so many then. Pure bad luck is one - and a streak like that can happen. And the other is not closing players down quickly enough; ultimately these guys are all pros and if you give them time they can hit with decent accuracy. And giving them time seems a common trend - Stevens steps towards but then backs off the Luxembourg guy, the Azeri player had a ridiculous amount of time (he had about three goes at lining up the shot), as did the Armenian (and not just for their goal, but also in a similar position a couple of times in the build-up), and again tonight. Each time we're giving 3 or 4 yards of free space to line a shot into.

Is that a deliberate tactic on our part then? Call their bluff and say that they won't hit the corner from there anyway, so lull them into trying? I guess the alternative is we close them down and leave space behind - but is that really so bad with three at the back? We weren't caught for numbers for any of the goals. Or are the defenders just plain not doing what they're supposed to be doing? That'd be more worrying tbh.

Out of the country so didn't see the game (only the goals online) but view from those at the match seems to be it was a bit more promising than the Armenia bottle job and much better than Malta? That said, we did get a bit lucky for the winner - great play from Johnstone, which I wasn't expecting at all! Unlucky to hit the post, but then two Latvia defenders had a chance to clear and didn't - though I suppose that happens against weaker teams. And losing possession in our half seemed a common theme too and we really can't afford that on Monday.

Will give Kenny credit for a nice mix in the line-up, and great to see Ferguson get off the mark in particular; I'm increasingly feeling he's the one to fill Robbie Keane's boots. On to Monday, but can't imagine France will have seen much to scare them here.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    The run of shots going in from distance against weaker teams has to be a concentration issue. Tonight we were 2 nil up and it was easy. Maybe the players switch off against these teams in a way we don't against better ones.

I think we'll put in a good performance Monday night, and I'm more confident after that tonight. For years we have a habit of playing to the standard of the opposition, we usually up our game against the big boys. Even in last campaign our best performance was Portugal away.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I didn't see the game ~ I was wondering how did O'Dowda do as Left-Back ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He did alright. He faded as the game went on like almost all the players so hard to tell really. But he was an out for a lot of the first half. Though most of our attacking play came down the right side. Smallbone and Doherty linking up well in the first 30 mins and Ferguson dropping and bringing others into the game. Between those 3 there was some lovely understanding at times. A couple of examples of this early on where ferguson dropped deep laid it back off the smallbone whilst Doherty had overlapped on the right and smallbone sets him off with a quick well executed pass down the right. Looked like simple training ground exercises but wotked
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 23/03/2023 at 9:03 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    He did alright. He faded as the game went on like almost all the players so hard to tell really. But he was an out for a lot of the first half. Though most of our attacking play came down the right side. Smallbone and Doherty linking up well in the first 30 mins and Ferguson dropping and bringing others into the game. Between those 3 there was some lovely understanding at times. A couple of examples of this early on where ferguson dropped deep laid it back off the smallbone whilst Doherty had overlapped on the right and smallbone sets him off with a quick well executed pass down the right. Looked like simple training ground exercises but wotked

It worked, but does Doherty start v France in light of his defensive performance?
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    I know the Greek gyros eater is frozen him out, but Can Kenny bring back James McCarthy, both Browne and Molumby aren't ready to command the team! Good game Smallbone as the roaming 10, some glimpses of Platini on him
    Whats his ethnicity got to do with it? You brought religon into your other posts. Your account was fcuked off YBIG for racist posts (related to James McCarthy funnily enough). How you're allowed continually pollute this forum with your xenobophic crap I'll never know.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Please report problematic posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Tets got to it before I could.

Bielsa will be taking a short break from the forum.

Racism and wumming are not allowed.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Removed all the pointless spam posts about McCarthy as well
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    It worked, but does Doherty start v France in light of his defensive performance?
    Ya his misplaced pass directly led to a goal(as did browns faffing about in the box) and his overall positioning defensively was poor. He really is a form player, loses all consistency in his play if he's not playing regular and his fitness is always suspect too when he's not playing regularly for his club.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Ya his misplaced pass directly led to a goal(as did browns faffing about in the box) and his overall positioning defensively was poor. He really is a form player, loses all consistency in his play if he's not playing regular and his fitness is always suspect too when he's not playing regularly for his club.
    Maybe getting the game last night will help him. I reckon he will go with Colemain rwb and Doherty lwb.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'll focus on the football today rather than debating posters.

line-up was good. Gave time to those who needed it, rested those who didn't and tested those who required it - either to bring themselves into the equation, or to rule themselves out. The substitutions made a big difference, but perhaps they were too late (this would be a gripe that I'd accept without reservation - we're too slow to hook underperforming players generally). first 25/27 mins we were excellent, genuinely excellent. Moved the ball quickly, overflowed them offensively and the forward movement and interplay was very sharp. But to go 2-0 up...and just stop doing what was good about our play, was disappointing. I saw late last night their schoolmaster manager called over one of their players to reorganise after the second goal went in, and they definitely changed their shape without actually doing a whole lot offensively afterwards - and weren't threatening bar the one dangerously badly defended long ball. It felt like some of our players thought the match is done and that was that (consciously or perhaps sub-consciously ahead of Monday). That is disappointing. O'Dowda certainly didnt get forward as much after that.

GK:
    I like Kelleher as our keeper, I think he is more authorative as a keeper, we don't look in any way nervous when he gets the ball, but ultimately his effort to save the worldie (and it was a worldie) looked poor (for whatever reason). Bazunu starts on Monday.

Defence:
    Was disappointed by Collins defensively. He's very comfortable coming out with possession, but he's in a dip of form by the looks of it. I think he's potentially at risk of being dropped on Monday. Thought Omobamidele did well, was proactive on the ball and didn't have any glaring errors, but stand to be corrected. OShea was good, but ultimately it was his failure to communicate with O'Dowda in terms of ownership of the loose ball that led to the goal. Same with Nathan jumping with Andy initially. Egan - himself no stranger to mistakes in an Ireland shirt - became the authorative figure when he came on, and he's going to start vs France.
    Doherty was poor, looked rusty, and while I'm a big fan, I think the risk that he repeats the performance on Monday is too big a risk, especially when Seamus has been rejuvenated at club level. But I think there is a real risk of Seamus getting roasted on Monday, and if he's picked then we're almost certainly conceding that we'll be sitting in and hanging on. ODowda was fine on the other side and he's sure to be selected now.

Midfield:
    A real mixed-bag.
    We see what Josh Cullen brings to the table when he's there, but moreso when he's not there.
    I like a lot of Alan Browne. He's honest, he has a super engine, he's committed, gets into great attacking positions, is as tough as nails and covers a number of positions. Trouble is he isn't very good. He was by far the weakest of the three midfielders and took the wrong option on a number of occasions which ruined good attacking play. And what annoyed myself - my young lad spotted it before me - was the number of times he'd receive the ball in space from cb, and immediately play it back to a cb, rather than turn and move into space. This is more pronounced when you're trying to reestablish a footing in the game.
    Will Smallbone introduced himself to the Irish public at large last night, and it was great to see. He seemed to have a very good understanding with Doherty, and almost always picked the correct option. While I personally would have no issues starting him vs France, I think he's more likely to be of use in the games in June and beyond. I didn't watch him particularly but can't say I noticed him pressing significantly or being effective at starting the block higher up the pitch. But his game is about creativity and ultimately he makes things happen.
    I know Smallbone got the plaudits, but I really liked Jayson Molumby (always, but) particularly last night. Every ounce of positive forward play had it's genesis in him. I genuinely am not arrogant when it comes to perceptions about what does/does not happen on a football pitch, but I really worry when I don't see pundits/posters/fans acknowledge simple basic and effective midfield play that he did last night. He was omnipresent in showing for the ball - not looking to be available, but actively wanting the ball. He took the ball a number of times from CB's and GK and was facing forward and moved positively with the ball. He started the moves for both goals and was generally very effective. and for a midget he is particularly effective in terms of aggressive play. I think sometimes the fact that he looks like an angry coont goes against him. But he's an absolute for me in our midfield 3.

Attack
    Ferguson - very effective for a first proper game and start. Looks to the manor born. Nothing more needs to be said.
    Obafemi - thought he was poor, have to be honest, again like Doherty probably suffering from rustiness - but looks like he has potential to have an understanding with the younger lads around him.

Generally:
    The formation is a given now - but is transferable from 532 to 352 or 343 - and it's interesting in how he set them up at cb with Andy right and Nathan left.
    The movement throughout the game of the forward players was really good - even watching on the box. Browne was frustrating in this regard especially, as he didn't either trust himself to pick that pass out, or when he did, the pass was poor and overhit/misplaced.
    A lot of good training ground work goes to waste with that sort of sloppiness. I think there is the basis for positivity with a lot of what I saw last night going into Monday.

Vs France I'd go with:

Baz,

Coleman
    Andy Omobo
    Egan
    O'Shea
    O'Dowda

Molumby
    Cullen
    Knight

Smallbone

Ferguson
    Last edited by Kingdom; 23/03/2023 at 11:49 AM.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    In an unsuitable way, as in, not suitable for the job.
    I know the definition of unsuitable, I asked in what way are they unsuitable? If you can't answer, fair enough.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    I know the definition of unsuitable, I asked in what way are they unsuitable? If you can't answer, fair enough.
    I don't know if I'd use the word unsuitable for Carsley, but I would for Reid considering he's not even a coach anymore.

Carsley is potentially interesting, but a huge gamble considering his lack of any management experience apart from few games with Eng u21s, so I could see why some would consider him unsuitable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I don't know if I'd use the word unsuitable for Carsley, but I would for Reid considering he's not even a coach anymore.

Carsley is potentially interesting, but a huge gamble considering his lack of any management experience apart from few games with Eng u21s, so I could see why some would consider him unsuitable
    He's managed a little bit more than just the England U21s
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Carsley#Manager
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    I'm forced to agree with this. Especially given...

Anyone calling for a manager's removal has the onus of responsibility to propose an alternative.
    Anyone calling the potential alternative manager(s) subsequently suggested "unsuitable" bears an equal onus of responsibility to give reasons. Surely that's fair?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'm force to agree with this. Especially given...

Anyone calling the potential alternative manager(s) subsequently suggested "unsuitable" bears an equal onus of responsibility to give reasons. Surely that's fair?
    I refer you to Line 1 of post 452.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

27. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    I'll focus on the football today rather than debating posters.

line-up was good. Gave time to those who needed it, rested those who didn't and tested those who required it - either to bring themselves into the equation, or to rule themselves out. The substitutions made a big difference, but perhaps they were too late (this would be a gripe that I'd accept without reservation - we're too slow to hook underperforming players generally). first 25/27 mins we were excellent, genuinely excellent. Moved the ball quickly, overflowed them offensively and the forward movement and interplay was very sharp. But to go 2-0 up...and just stop doing what was good about our play, was disappointing. I saw late last night their schoolmaster manager called over one of their players to reorganise after the second goal went in, and they definitely changed their shape without actually doing a whole lot offensively afterwards - and weren't threatening bar the one dangerously badly defended long ball. It felt like some of our players thought the match is done and that was that (consciously or perhaps sub-consciously ahead of Monday). That is disappointing. O'Dowda certainly didnt get forward as much after that.

GK:
    I like Kelleher as our keeper, I think he is more authorative as a keeper, we don't look in any way nervous when he gets the ball, but ultimately his effort to save the worldie (and it was a worldie) looked poor (for whatever reason). Bazunu starts on Monday.

Defence:
    Was disappointed by Collins defensively. He's very comfortable coming out with possession, but he's in a dip of form by the looks of it. I think he's potentially at risk of being dropped on Monday. Thought Omobamidele did well, was proactive on the ball and didn't have any glaring errors, but stand to be corrected. OShea was good, but ultimately it was his failure to communicate with O'Dowda in terms of ownership of the loose ball that led to the goal. Same with Nathan jumping with Andy initially. Egan - himself no stranger to mistakes in an Ireland shirt - became the authorative figure when he came on, and he's going to start vs France.
    Doherty was poor, looked rusty, and while I'm a big fan, I think the risk that he repeats the performance on Monday is too big a risk, especially when Seamus has been rejuvenated at club level. But I think there is a real risk of Seamus getting roasted on Monday, and if he's picked then we're almost certainly conceding that we'll be sitting in and hanging on. ODowda was fine on the other side and he's sure to be selected now.

Midfield:
    A real mixed-bag.
    We see what Josh Cullen brings to the table when he's there, but moreso when he's not there.
    I like a lot of Alan Browne. He's honest, he has a super engine, he's committed, gets into great attacking positions, is as tough as nails and covers a number of positions. Trouble is he isn't very good. He was by far the weakest of the three midfielders and took the wrong option on a number of occasions which ruined good attacking play. And what annoyed myself - my young lad spotted it before me - was the number of times he'd receive the ball in space from cb, and immediately play it back to a cb, rather than turn and move into space. This is more pronounced when you're trying to reestablish a footing in the game.
    Will Smallbone introduced himself to the Irish public at large last night, and it was great to see. He seemed to have a very good understanding with Doherty, and almost always picked the correct option. While I personally would have no issues starting him vs France, I think he's more likely to be of use in the games in June and beyond. I didn't watch him particularly but can't say I noticed him pressing significantly or being effective at starting the block higher up the pitch. But his game is about creativity and ultimately he makes things happen.
    I know Smallbone got the plaudits, but I really liked Jayson Molumby (always, but) particularly last night. Every ounce of positive forward play had it's genesis in him. I genuinely am not arrogant when it comes to perceptions about what does/does not happen on a football pitch, but I really worry when I don't see pundits/posters/fans acknowledge simple basic and effective midfield play that he did last night. He was omnipresent in showing for the ball - not looking to be available, but actively wanting the ball. He took the ball a number of times from CB's and GK and was facing forward and moved positively with the ball. He started the moves for both goals and was generally very effective. and for a midget he is particularly effective in terms of aggressive play. I think sometimes the fact that he looks like an angry coont goes against him. But he's an absolute for me in our midfield 3.

Attack
    Ferguson - very effective for a first proper game and start. Looks to the manor born. Nothing more needs to be said.
    Obafemi - thought he was poor, have to be honest, again like Doherty probably suffering from rustiness - but looks like he has potential to have an understanding with the younger lads around him.

Generally:
    The formation is a given now - but is transferable from 532 to 352 or 343 - and it's interesting in how he set them up at cb with Andy right and Nathan left.
    The movement throughout the game of the forward players was really good - even watching on the box. Browne was frustrating in this regard especially, as he didn't either trust himself to pick that pass out, or when he did, the pass was poor and overhit/misplaced.
    A lot of good training ground work goes to waste with that sort of sloppiness. I think there is the basis for positivity with a lot of what I saw last night going into Monday.

Vs France I'd go with:

Baz,

Coleman
    Andy Omobo
    Egan
    O'Shea
    O'Dowda

Molumby
    Cullen
    Knight

Smallbone

Ferguson
    I was out and didn't see the game, caught commentary on the way home, so only going by highlights and reports. Interesting that RTE seemed to rate Molumby as our poorest performer and gave Obafemi an 8. There's huge scope for subjective judgement, but that's some discrepancy. Don't know who's right until I see the game. Think it's harsh to blame Kelleher for either goal, but just to prove that my Liverpool supporting spectacles don't completely occlude objectivity, I'd agree with giving Bazunu the nod for France. Otherwise I think Collins will play, though Andy's pace might be helpful to help Coleman against Mbappe. I'd keep Obafemi alongside Ferguson who might otherwise get isolated and would also reward Smallbone. Toss up between Molumby and Knight for the third midfield spot, but probably opt for Molumby for his defensive abilities.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He looked like the old Matt for large parts of the game.
    I'd say the point of him playing last night was not to see if he was good enough to start v France but to sharpen him up in case he's needed off the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    I refer you to Line 1 of post 452.
    In the absence of a real answer I'm going to have to go ahead and assume that the perceived unsuitability is due to the 2 guys suggested never having played or coached in the League of Ireland. I can't look inside your mind, but in my experience that's what it boils down to for the majority of those still defending this shambolic regime.

They have 63 caps for Ireland between them, a strong coaching pedigree, and both having prior experience of working in international football, but what would any of that matter?

If only Steve Staunton had come home and played for Drogheda for 12 months we might never have got rid of him.

Maybe getting the game last night will help him. I reckon he will go with Colemain rwb and Doherty lwb.
    That's what I would hope for. I imagine the back 3 last night means we're looking at a back 5 against France. Though likely with a lot less wing and a lot more back.

Given the potential for Ferguson to end up quite isolated, I'd say pace coming from wide areas will be important. Our best chance of a goal from open play is likely to be a counter attack. If the ball comes to Ferguson he will get a chance to hold it up but the support needs to get to him quicker than the French so he can lay it off and hopefully a green wave sweeps up the field quicker than the French can get back.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast