Thanked in
    126 Posts
    41000 attendance.. who are they fooling.. there's not 25000 there tonight

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    the kennyite spin is being constructed at this very moment.. best of luck, lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    France isnt going to be pretty based on tonight. Hopefully we find better balance. Maybe its a confidence thing after conceding.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Second half was fairly laboured stuff. Johnston did well when he came on, a bit of energy about him.

Still, a win, no injuries (it looks like) and a goal for Ferguson can do no harm going into the French game.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    More positives than negatives there I think.

3 super debuts from Smallbone, Ferguson and Johnston. Johnston could be a fantastic find, gives us something different. Ferguson and Smallbone were both excellent, and you cant ask much more than a goal from the new boy wonder on his 1st start.

10 minutes of madness took the gloss off it a bit. If Browne had scored when we were 2 nil up it might have been different but we need to cut out these stupid lapses of concentration in games. We will strenghten up our center with Bazunu, Egan and Cullen so hopefully that helps on monday.

We've gone from being a team that are hard to score against, but could only score through set pieces with Duffy, to now a team that creates plenty and scores goals but has a terrible habit of giving away stupid goals. It may be an age thing, lot of young defenders, but its something we need to cut out.

It was far from perfect, but with 3 goals and 3 exciting debuts Im happy overall with that.

Edit: of course not Fergusons debut but it felt like it
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 22/03/2023 at 8:51 PM. Reason: Ferguson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Looked fairly full to me

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    The bearded one delivered as promised for all those Catholics in the Republic, the bearded one was a tornado today in those twists and shouts, he looks a bit like a 23 years old Danny McBride!!, the aviva would have collapsed if the bearded one scored that solo goal after the 3-2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    The bearded one delivered as promised for all those Catholics in the Republic, the bearded one was a tornado today in those twists and shouts, he looks a bit like a 23 years old Danny McBride!!, the aviva would have collapsed if the bearded one scored that solo goal after the 3-2
    Cut out the drugs man

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Some positives:
    Smallbone excellent
    A goal a piece from two young exciting forwards
    Controlled the game ( for the most part)

But it should of been more comfortable mostly due to silly mistakes that keep recurring.
    France will destroy Ireland if they give away possession as much as they did tonight
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I suppose we’ve learned to score and win against poor opposition in the last two games. That’s progress whether everyone wants to admit it or not. Obvious negative is we’ve also conceded two against poor opposition again. On the law of averages we shouldn’t be conceding so many to opt shots, hopefully the France game resets that balance and anything they try results in a wonder save or a near miss!

Good performances from Smallbone and Ferguson the obvious highlights. Johnstone showed some real spark and is definitely the type of player we didn’t have in the squad before. As mentioned, Cullen and Egan from the start should solidify that soft centre a bit.

Just about enough positives to head into France with some hope. With the seeming fragility when we do concede, really have to hope France don’t score early on. We look like scoring in games now so at least we have the prospect of causing them some problems if we can hold it together defensively.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Baffling as ever. Besides Smallbone, midfield was fairly unimpressive in terms of controlling the game and dictating pace, considering the opposition. Agree w/ RTE panel after the game that if it's a choice between Doherty and Coleman against France, you'd have to go with Coleman. Delighted Ferguson scored.. and Ogbene, of course.. tho Ogbene was fairly anonymous after that. Johnstone had an excellent cameo so lots of positives, but plenty of head scratching too. Team against France will be different and stronger. A draw would be an excellent result.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Just more of the same as the autumn unfortunately. But at least this time with a couple of encouraging performances in midfield and up front that would give you hope for a future era where the team might be properly set up and have some kind of defensive strategy or cohesiveness.

But that won't be for a while sadly. In the mean time we'll continue to concede worldies from outside the box and wonder how it is that it keeps happening. Must just be bad luck I suppose...
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Cullen is our most important player by a mile I think. In and out of possession he controls our midfield. Without him we get a bit lost at times and it showed tonight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It's begining to look a lot like the Staunton era. Purple patches of good play and then complete abandon of defensive structure and duties. We've gone so far away from the deep lying midfielder and low block to carefree attacking like cows out of the shed after a long winter in spring. Our players are playing with carefree abandonment. It's all so very naive.

I think it's clear Kennys lack of experience at a higher level is showing he just doesn't know how to set us up to play defensively and doesn't have the ability to see the gaps and structure cos he's just not used to having to deal with that quick turnover a few passes later and a goal. He's so tactically naive. How often can we concede goals from outside the 18 yard box from so called minnows time and again? They all look at our matches and yet we never learn. France could destroy us Monday

As eirambler says and a few others it's nice to see smallbone and Ferguson showing well for what hopefully are the near future and not " the future *
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 22/03/2023 at 10:03 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    It's begining to look a lot like the Staunton era.
    It is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Just home now, I actually thought it was more, from inside the ground.

It was a comfortable enough win really. A crap goal given away, and a wonderstrike. Aside from that, it was largely one way traffic.

Can't learn anything from a game like that really, but it's minutes in the tank as a collective.

Bazunu, Cullen, Coleman, Ogbene and Johnston could all come in as starters potentially.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Regardless of what you think of Kenny, the positive from tonight is the average age for me. It was 23 I heard? The majority of that side won't peak until the Euros or next WC. Add in a few more early bloomers like Ferguson ( maybe Zefi, Sinclair, Moran etc) and the ones who will be even more experienced at that point (Cullen) and we will have a decent squad for whoever is the manager.

On the game it's more of the same issues against minnows which are frustrating beyond belief. We need someone to step up when we concede a ridiculously low probability shot like tonight and get the team rallied. Obviously stopping the shots would be more ideal but it was a phenomenal strike. It's disheartening how much it shook us though. The second goal came from pure panic in our box. We don't seem to have a captain and it's not coming from the sidelines.

Smallbone and Ferguson did well. I was more impressed by Smallbone to be honest. He might be the creative outlet we need. He made good runs and kept the ball moving with purpose after 1-3 touches. He was better in the advanced role than in the more withdrawn one. Ferguson was trying a bit too hard but he got his goal and that's brilliant.

Kelleher was unluckyish but he needed a top class performance to dislodge Bazunu if that was even being considered and he didn't deliver. Should probably have done better with at least one of the goals but he looked very comfortable with his feet. So languid it's almost as nerve wracking as Bazunu's less relaxed approach.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

22. Thanks From:

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast