Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Mikey Johnston M Celtic b.1999

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    A coach that put his arm around him and put some trust in him, playing to his strengths.

That’s a goal of the month contender right there.
    My point really Stu is that some lads don't want to give Idah any credit for doing well in a supposedly worse league. I agree with you that the manager or the environment makes a big difference and it's great to see both Idah and Johnston making the most of the change.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    That goal was proper quality. WBA have a real decent chance to arrive into the playoffs in good form and do a job on the others.

It's so great to see a loan move like this work above and beyond what you thought was realistic from the outset.

Wasn't cut out to be an SPL winner but a realistic path to being a premier league footballer in 6 months.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    A coach that put his arm around him and put some trust in him, playing to his strengths.

That’s a goal of the month contender right there.
    I don't like to make sweeping statements about fans' views but there were a lot of noisy Celtic fans screaming blue murder over them signing the third choice striker of Norwich. Not sure on WBA fans, but they may not have been too impressed with a Celtic reserve coming down from the SPL.

I think it is fair to say that the Championship is a better league than the SPL. But around the edges of that argument one would have to be consider the suitability of the players to the leagues, as well as the factor you mention re managers - it does seem Johnston couldn't click with Rodgers whereas Rodgers seems to love bigging up Idah.

Idah is probably stronger and faster than almost every centre half in the SPL but probably not the Championship. His goals last weekend show that he can use his pace to run off them and finish and his strength to get in between them and up for a headed finish.

Have only seen his goals but reasonable to say Johnston has a license to thrill at WBA? And he definitely has more space given how SPL teams would double their winger and full back up on him.

So, it does feel like the environments are suiting each player and I do think that both lads will develop another bit with minutes and success. Idah particularly. If he can sustain this he has a prolonged reference point and a foundation for his career that he doesn't really have thanks to injury and form (potentially driven by confidence) and rotation (all individually and collectively contributing).

On Johnston, it is a little more indicting on Rodgers. I couldn't see Luis Palma doing a stroke at Championship level....

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I don't like to make sweeping statements about fans' views but there were a lot of noisy Celtic fans screaming blue murder over them signing the third choice striker of Norwich. Not sure on WBA fans, but they may not have been too impressed with a Celtic reserve coming down from the SPL.

I think it is fair to say that the Championship is a better league than the SPL. But around the edges of that argument one would have to be consider the suitability of the players to the leagues, as well as the factor you mention re managers - it does seem Johnston couldn't click with Rodgers whereas Rodgers seems to love bigging up Idah.

Idah is probably stronger and faster than almost every centre half in the SPL but probably not the Championship. His goals last weekend show that he can use his pace to run off them and finish and his strength to get in between them and up for a headed finish.

Have only seen his goals but reasonable to say Johnston has a license to thrill at WBA? And he definitely has more space given how SPL teams would double their winger and full back up on him.

So, it does feel like the environments are suiting each player and I do think that both lads will develop another bit with minutes and success. Idah particularly. If he can sustain this he has a prolonged reference point and a foundation for his career that he doesn't really have thanks to injury and form (potentially driven by confidence) and rotation (all individually and collectively contributing).

On Johnston, it is a little more indicting on Rodgers. I couldn't see Luis Palma doing a stroke at Championship level....

I think Johnson is alot more than a hug the touchline winger and when I've watched him at West Bromley.they seem.to encourage him to drift into central areas and play as a 10 and he has that creativity and technique to do that. When I see celtic the wingers seem to stay wide which I think limits johnson

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    The problem with Johnston is and always has been that whenever he puts a run like this together he invariably gets injured and loses all momentum. Hopefully this time is different but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon just yet with him.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I think Johnson is alot more than a hug the touchline winger and when I've watched him at West Bromley.they seem.to encourage him to drift into central areas and play as a 10 and he has that creativity and technique to do that. When I see celtic the wingers seem to stay wide which I think limits johnson
    And for Ireland he's had license to roam too, and that's why he's looked good for us. I listen to a lot of Celtic's games on the radio and Pat Bonner said before Christmas that Rodgers wasn't getting the best out of him by sending him out to hug the touchline. I love a winger coming inside (Yang seemed to do it against Dundee for example) or even carrying the ball in the middle of the pitch. I will carry with me forever the sight of Aidan McGeady carrying the ball progessively through the middle in the build up to Brady's goal in Lille.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 04/03/2024 at 7:26 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Mikey Johnston only scores screamers

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Dropping down a few levels is really helping his game

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Hopefully West Brom have a buy clause in the deal already. Make it easy to sign him permanently in the summer. Currently fifth in the table and 7 points ahead of Norwich who are just outside of the playoffs.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Celtic fans will be losing it with Brendan Rodgers if this keeps going on !!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Mikey Johnston only scores screamers

I can't even see how he made contact with the ball. It seems like he barely got the chance to straighten up before a defender was on him so he got an absolute rocket away with his instep???

Fair play to Kenny..

15. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Dropping down a few levels is really helping his game
    He wasn't exactly tearing up the Portuguese league last year either in fairness

I'm liking the this season Mikey Johnston though

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Shirley ~ Opposing Championship managers are going to start trying to put a stop to this Magic Johnston run.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Remember seeing his dinky run in the France game... was the first time I'd seen him in action... brilliant... a type of player we haven't had in ages.

Ferguson, Smozdics, Ogbene, Johnston... they could cause mischief against any side.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Yeah, looks great when he gets to dribble and put teams on the back foot. Evidently capable now of scoring exceptional goals. Question marks however over his ability/ willingness to defend when needs be. But a good attacking option to have in our squad nonetheless.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Remember seeing his dinky run in the France game... was the first time I'd seen him in action... brilliant... a type of player we haven't had in ages.

Ferguson, Smozdics, Ogbene, Johnston... they could cause mischief against any side.
    All we need now is to find two midfielders that can sit in front of the back four and two fullbacks for that back four.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Definitely seems the kind of player we need against lower level teams that sit back and defend. Not the worst option.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Has just put West Brom level. Spare a thought for Brendan Rodgers and his white knuckles every time Johnston plays these days.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Turned it off at half time as the game was boring and the ****er scores twice in the second half.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Turned it off at half time as the game was boring and the ****er scores twice in the second half.
    And gets assist

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast