Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Mikey Johnston (M Vitória Guimarães, on loan from Celtic b.1999)

  1. #41
    Seasoned Pro Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ceatharlach
    Posts
    2,955
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,074
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    785
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Seen on Twitter that Johnston is the first Scottish born player to play for Ireland that didn’t have connections to Donegal ….
    Just a few miles away in Derry
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

  2. #42
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,909
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    826
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,523
    Thanked in
    1,047 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Seen on Twitter that Johnston is the first Scottish born player to play for Ireland that didn’t have connections to Donegal ….
    It sounds like this may not be bang on and that the point that he had one Irish grandfather from Derry may not be the case. It may be that he applied for his passport via that grandparent but he was interviewed in the Indo saying "Its always been talked about, it's in my family, in my blood. My mum and dad, we had a conversation, they said go for it if it's what you want. I have some family in Derry, some in Donegal, some in Dublin as well." The article states prior too that that he "is eligible thought grandparents on both sides of the family."

  3. #43
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    685
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    184
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Johnson could turn out to be a very good player. He showed great early promise. He's definitely gone back a bit from there but there certainly is talent that needs to be worked on. Not sure he'll get that where he is in Portugal but I'd be holding out hope for him.

  4. #44
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,447
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,176
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,512
    Thanked in
    2,452 Posts
    Just to say his last name is spelt the way it is on the top of the thread here. In the FAI match day squad announcement this morning it was Johnstone and I noticed when he came on against Latvia it was on RTE screen as Johnson.

    Johnston

  5. #45
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    201
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    264
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    75
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    He had a nice moment just after coming on tonight, but didn't see much of the ball after that. He looks classy. I wonder does him playing in Portugal in the heat make him a starter for the Greece game?

  6. #46
    First Team TonyD's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Planet Football
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    225
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    355
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    He had a nice moment just after coming on tonight, but didn't see much of the ball after that. He looks classy. I wonder does him playing in Portugal in the heat make him a starter for the Greece game?
    Quite possibly. If not to start then you’d imagine there is a fair chance he’ll see some game time. Greece a massive test now. All tonight’s good work will be undone unless we get a win, or worst case a draw there. We’ve got to give the Dutch a similar rattle here too and hopefully get the win this time.A point in Holland might not be out of the question too.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #47
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    853
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    606
    Thanked in
    422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Quite possibly. If not to start then you’d imagine there is a fair chance he’ll see some game time. Greece a massive test now. All tonight’s good work will be undone unless we get a win, or worst case a draw there. We’ve got to give the Dutch a similar rattle here too and hopefully get the win this time.A point in Holland might not be out of the question too.
    We have to win in Greece. Otherwise we likely will need to beatbthe Dutch twice to get second which is a big ask. Beat the Greeks twice and draw twice with the Dutch and we get second in the group given the disastrous Dutch result on Friday night. Its a tough ask but ultimately if you are going to qualify for a tournament you have to expect to achieve those 4 results

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #48
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    21,696
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,088
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,778
    Thanked in
    3,146 Posts
    Two assists for Johnston yesterday in a 3-0 win. From a corner, at 0:47, and a nice cross from the left with his right foot at 1:26
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #49
    First Team Yard of Pace's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    188
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    354
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Didn't know a thing about him before yday.
    Wouldn't start him Monday, but I'd let him loose vs Gibraltar & Greece with no qualms.
    It's a bit nuts that pretty much every single person who watches Ireland also wanted Johnstone let loose against Greece and Gibralter except for Kenny. Never afraid to receive the ball and makes things happen. He's probably already one of our best players.

  13. #50
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,500
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    625
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    512
    Thanked in
    324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    It's a bit nuts that pretty much every single person who watches Ireland also wanted Johnstone let loose against Greece and Gibralter except for Kenny. Never afraid to receive the ball and makes things happen. He's probably already one of our best players.
    Definitely Gibraltar but I'm not sure he would have seen the ball against Greece. We had more basic problems then unlocking their backline.

    It's also a a bit harsh to use Johnston as a stick to beat Kenny with. Before Kenny brought him in most people hadn't a notion who he was and the ones who did knew him from a failed stint at Celtic. Sure this thread starts in May of this year and the comments are generally a bit baffled at Johnston getting a mention.

    Not disagreeing with your overall point though. He was the obvious pick to break down Gibraltar. At least Kenny made the call early but he probably should have started given the options we had.
    20 leagues and 25 cups.

  14. #51
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,447
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,176
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,512
    Thanked in
    2,452 Posts
    Johnston played a full half against Greece and didnt really get a sniff which was always going to be a risk in terms of how the game might play out so I dont hold his non-selection for Greece against Kenny at all.

    OTOH, I am one of those who was aggrieved at his call up to the squad. I have been eating humble pie since as he has made a difference and is precisely the sort of player that gives us something different off the bench and will be especially effective against the minnows. Ideally we find a spot for him in the starting line-up but would, i think, need a shift from 3-5-2 to do that.

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #52
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,500
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    625
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    512
    Thanked in
    324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Johnston played a full half against Greece and didnt really get a sniff which was always going to be a risk in terms of how the game might play out so I dont hold his non-selection for Greece against Kenny at all.

    OTOH, I am one of those who was aggrieved at his call up to the squad. I have been eating humble pie since as he has made a difference and is precisely the sort of player that gives us something different off the bench and will be especially effective against the minnows. Ideally we find a spot for him in the starting line-up but would, i think, need a shift from 3-5-2 to do that.
    You weren't alone!

    And yeah I agree. Without getting too excited he looks like a very useful addition and was the major difference against Gibraltar. I only mention the likes of Jack Byrne in relation to games like that because we need at least one player who wants to play the riskier but better ball. Ideally we have better options and hopefully Johnston is now that player. Smallbone hasn't quite done it for me yet.

    We knew what we were going to face yesterday and we know our squad is very limited when it comes to incisive passes and that little bit of magic. Johnston sees the pass the average player doesn't. He played so many in one half yesterday. Balls around the corner or through the gaps, crosses from deep into the gap between the defenders and GK. All the stuff that helps you break through banks of players. He hits a better corner than anyone else and we need that too.

    He also plays even the simple ball in a much more positive way than the likes of Cullen, Molumby or Knight. I'm thinking of the quick passes out wide to McClean yesterday. He cut inside a few times and ran into trouble but found McClean and engineered him an advantage on the defender by playing the ball into the right space instead of just to feet.

    And he can beat a man or two! We haven't had a player like him for a while so fair play to Kenny for bringing him in. It's one of the best things he's done....which might be telling its own story in fairness....
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 20/06/2023 at 8:35 PM.
    20 leagues and 25 cups.

  17. Thanks From:


  18. #53
    Seasoned Pro joey B's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    3,253
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    250
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    403
    Thanked in
    301 Posts
    Out for 3 months with a back injury,thought there was a good chance he'd start in September so not ideal at all......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #54
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    4,627
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,067
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Out for 3 months with a back injury,thought there was a good chance he'd start in September so not ideal at all......
    That's a nightmare for his Celtic career. New/old manager, would have wanted to have a good preseason to be in the plans, especially with Jota leaving
    Its really not that complicated!!!

  21. #55
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Mar 2021
    Location
    An Dun
    Posts
    27
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    That's a nightmare for his Celtic career. New/old manager, would have wanted to have a good preseason to be in the plans, especially with Jota leaving
    Preseason is for fitness. It would have zero relevance to him getting anywhere near the 1st team

  22. #56
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    4,627
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,067
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurcherLover View Post
    Preseason is for fitness. It would have zero relevance to him getting anywhere near the 1st team
    I knew that would be brought up LOL, and it totally missed my point.

    Johnston is not going to be part of training or matches for the entire preseason. All that together of course matters. Missing one chance in a game doesnt!

    But fair play, it deserved to get called out
    Its really not that complicated!!!

  23. #57
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Mar 2021
    Location
    An Dun
    Posts
    27
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I know, fully agree. Couldn't resist though..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Luke McNally D Stoke (loan from Burnley) b.1999
    By samhaydenjr in forum Ireland
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02/08/2023, 5:11 PM
  2. RTE: Kenny joins Shamrock Rovers on loan from Celtic
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28/12/2022, 12:20 PM
  3. RTE: Scales join Aberdeen on loan from Celtic
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21/06/2022, 2:40 PM
  4. Robbie Keane on Loan to Celtic?
    By Scram in forum Ireland
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27/01/2009, 6:18 PM
  5. Robbie Keane on loan to Celtic?
    By Irish_Praha in forum Ireland
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17/01/2007, 8:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •