Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen O'Donnell v St Patrick's Athletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Stephen O'Donnell v St Patrick's Athletic

This issue isn't mentioned enough on here.

Just had a quick search and can't find much - can anyone point us somewhere?

https://www.google.com/search?q=step...w=1366&bih=643

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    There was a small column by Owen Cowzer in one of the papers on Tuesday about Day 1 in the courts but no corresponding online article on any of the papers websites. There’s a screenshot of it here https://www.reddit.com/r/LeagueOfIre...t=share_button
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Have the full extents of Pats claims been made public anywhere? I know they claim breach of contract but have any specifics been leaked or rumoured other than Pats saying O'Donnell had another year in his contract and O'Donnell saying he didn't?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Is the crux of the issue to do with whether the contract SOD had was informal (i.e he could leave at seasons end if another offer came in) or formal ( he needed to request permission to speak to other clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    You cant go in to court to say you are "upset" there has to be a quantum of claim set out to give the other side the ability to settle.
    What damages did Pats suffer?
    I guess they could say they had to pay more for new players to replace players "poached" , they qualified for Europe so unless they could make a case that they would have overhauled Rovers with SOD its hard to say they lost out.
    Maybe make vague claims about club medium term plan was out back........
    Hard to see there being a lot in it quantifiable.
    Problem SOD has i guess is if Pats say its 100k does he have a 100k to settle , if not it will be twice that with costs by the time it finishes....he'd want to be very sure he was winning before going for Kelliher............who does have th 100k.

I have no skin in the game but id suspect if Pats have lodged the case they are on solid ground.
    Its a serious enough thing to lodge a case as straight away the other side have to start spending money on solicitor fees so the ball is kicked i and the bills are running
    Last edited by sbgawa; 02/03/2023 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I have no skin in the game but id suspect if Pats have lodged the case they are on solid ground.
    Its a serious enough thing to lodge a case as straight away the other side have to start spending money on solicitor fees so the ball is kicked i and the bills are running
    I’ve no more information than anyone else but I don’t really agree that just because Pats have lodged a case that they have a solid case. It’s been seen in the past that wealthy people will use the courts and threats of legal action on people who can’t afford the risk of losing. Kelleher can afford any potential loss so the risk for him is minimal compared to the risk for O’Donnell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I’ve no more information than anyone else but I don’t really agree that just because Pats have lodged a case that they have a solid case. It’s been seen in the past that wealthy people will use the courts and threats of legal action on people who can’t afford the risk of losing. Kelleher can afford any potential loss so the risk for him is minimal compared to the risk for O’Donnell.
    I agree thats why i made the point that Kelliher has the 100k so he can roll the dice with less worry than SOD but if the case had no merit SOD solicitors would advice SOD to defend away and spend the money.
    So Pats must have "some" merit , even wealthy people dont throw money away on 100% losers.
    No winners here ....OTHER THAN THE LAWYERS

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I agree thats why i made the point that Kelliher has the 100k so he can roll the dice with less worry than SOD but if the case had no merit SOD solicitors would advice SOD to defend away and spend the money.
    So Pats must have "some" merit , even wealthy people dont throw money away on 100% losers.
    Word around dundalk is Stat Sports are going to cover any costs Stephen has.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    You cant go in to court to say you are "upset" there has to be a quantum of claim set out to give the other side the ability to settle.
    What damages did Pats suffer?
    I guess they could say they had to pay more for new players to replace players "poached" , they qualified for Europe so unless they could make a case that they would have overhauled Rovers with SOD its hard to say they lost out.
    Maybe make vague claims about club medium term plan was out back........
    Hard to see there being a lot in it quantifiable.
    Problem SOD has i guess is if Pats say its 100k does he have a 100k to settle , if not it will be twice that with costs by the time it finishes....he'd want to be very sure he was winning before going for Kelliher............who does have th 100k.

Well Pats had to find a new manager (Clancy) may have had to pay a fee to Drogheda for him to break his contract to go to them, likely hire a new backroom team as O'Donnell could've poached some of the old ones & Clancy likely had some coaches he trusts that he would want to continue to work with so there's some costs incurred that wouldn't have happened if O'Donnell stayed. Then there could be clauses within the contract around breaking the contract minimum notice periods, gardening leave if they mutually agree to split, costs for illegally breaching contract etc. How clauses like that would hold up in court I'm not sure but it wouldn't be the first time clauses like that existed and could be what Pats are trying to recover from O'Donnell. You're right that this is something that rich people will take a punt on even if they're case is a little flimsy that's why I'm so curious as to what the actual claims from Pats side are.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Word around dundalk is Stat Sports are going to cover any costs Stephen has.
    Sure isn’t it any wonder they’re getting the begging buckets back out looking for investment so
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Sure isn’t it any wonder they’re getting the begging buckets back out looking for investment so
    They have been looking for investment from day one and discussed it with loads of diff people for a year now. Nothing will be done that's not going to benefit the club and that's why the Hull deal is off

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I can't understand how all of these investors aren't jumping at the chance to throw away millions on LOI clubs. If there was proper government support in place for ground developments etc then you might have a chance. But even allowing for an occasional Europa League group stage qualification it's hard to see any return on the money that would need to be committed to make it that far. It makes a bit more sense if it's part of a multi club strategy.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    They have been looking for investment from day one and discussed it with loads of diff people for a year now. Nothing will be done that's not going to benefit the club and that's why the Hull deal is off
    Good insight but I was quite obviously joking
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Good insight but I was quite obviously joking
    Very good interview with the chairman put up yesterday on clubs YouTube channel. Explains everything in debt in fairness to him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I can't understand how all of these investors aren't jumping at the chance to throw away millions on LOI clubs. If there was proper government support in place for ground developments etc then you might have a chance. But even allowing for an occasional Europa League group stage qualification it's hard to see any return on the money that would need to be committed to make it that far. It makes a bit more sense if it's part of a multi club strategy.
    multi club should be a big no no league wide IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I’d agree. I’m sure Kelleher didn’t get rich by throwing money away on lost causes. The legal advice must have been that Pats have at least a stateable case. Worth noting that O’Donnells lawyers were late filing his defence, which is why the costs of the motion were awarded against him the other day. You wouldn’t be filled with confidence in your lawyers if you were him. I still wouldn’t be surprised to see the case settled.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    How would the Pats fans like to see it settled? Public flogging or kick up the hole?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    How would the Pats fans like to see it settled? Public flogging or kick up the hole?
    They want him give back his cup winners medal and go on gardening leave for a year after the disgraceful way he left them in a better position than when he arrived

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    They want him give back his cup winners medal and go on gardening leave for a year after the disgraceful way he left them in a better position than when he arrived
    That made me smile

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    LOI long overdue a good court battle after the days of Ollie Byrne getting tangled up in them one way or the other
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast