Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stephen O'Donnell v St Patrick's Athletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    How would the Pats fans like to see it settled? Public flogging or kick up the hole?
    Personally I don't really care, find the whole ordeal pretty funny if anything. Was long ago in football time and from players to managers it's not like you can get too hung up on loyalty in this league. The only reason that makes me want to see SOD come out on the wrong side of things is just how much it'd continue to bother certain vociferous Dundalk fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Give it a break Jack, plenty Pats fans on here, all nearly semi obsessed about the SOD court thing, as its obviously still left a bitter taste (not sure why - as managers and players leave all the time) plus its hardly even spoken about locally, not even sure any of our local papers have covered even the hearing date, if they have I must have missed it.

One thing I will agree, it was a long time ago football time.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Just because the local dundalk papers are clearly deliberately ignoring the court case doesn't mean its not a story in the LOI.
    I'd wager an awful lot of LOI people are very interested in what happens in this case, as a marker of future behaviour of intra-LOI managemt moves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Give it a break Jack, plenty Pats fans on here, all nearly semi obsessed about the SOD court thing, as its obviously still left a bitter taste (not sure why - as managers and players leave all the time) plus its hardly even spoken about locally, not even sure any of our local papers have covered even the hearing date, if they have I must have missed it.

One thing I will agree, it was a long time ago football time.
    I'm not disputing any of this (outside of the local press point, can't speak to that) but it doesn't make anything I said untrue. I don't care whether it even went to court or not, much less what the result is, and there definitely is a lot of Pats fans that imo are too attached to the situation, but I'd still find it funny to see it go Kelleher's way after so many smug "How's the court case going?" jibes from some Dundalk fans who acted like they even knew what was happening with any confidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    its obviously still left a bitter taste (not sure why - as managers and players leave all the time)
    Ah come on. Not exactly uncommon for fans to have a problem with an ex player or manager for any one of a number of reasons. It's a fairly common theme in a lot of matches in presumably every country football is played in. Whether these circumstances warrant it or not... they probably do. Some fans won't be all that bothered.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I’d agree. I’m sure Kelleher didn’t get rich by throwing money away on lost causes. The legal advice must have been that Pats have at least a stateable case. Worth noting that O’Donnells lawyers were late filing his defence, which is why the costs of the motion were awarded against him the other day. You wouldn’t be filled with confidence in your lawyers if you were him. I still wouldn’t be surprised to see the case settled.
    Hard to see why O'Donnell wouldn't be filled with confidence in his lawyers. They act for him and did what they were told to do. They can't file something without his say so. Was a deliberate stalling/delay tactic. Whether he's filled with confidence in the merits of his defence is another thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Look we'll see what comes out of it, just seems such a long time ago, plus I think this week's court item was only a listing date & its not uncommon for cases like this to be further extended for the actual hearing.

SOD doesn't appear to be worried any time I have heard him comment on it.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I'm not disputing any of this (outside of the local press point, can't speak to that) but it doesn't make anything I said untrue. I don't care whether it even went to court or not, much less what the result is, and there definitely is a lot of Pats fans that imo are too attached to the situation, but I'd still find it funny to see it go Kelleher's way after so many smug "How's the court case going?" jibes from some Dundalk fans who acted like they even knew what was happening with any confidence.
    All those jibes were pointed at one poster in particular who only seems to contribute when it's about SOD, maybe it's Gareth or one of his lap dogs. Pats fans were rightly ****ed when SOD left unexpectantly, but that's football. I've switched off to it because as most have said it's a football lifetime ago but if I remember correctly the biggest accusation was that SOD was intentionally stalling players contracts so that he could poach them for Dundalk? If that was the case he did a terrible job since we only signed an injured Mountney, ageing Benson and average Bone. There was also an analysis on Pats late signing over the years from local journalist James Rogers which I think showed that Pats have form in making most signings post Xmas each year. So I don't think this accusation holds much water.

This stinks of a rich elite who feels like they were wronged trying to strongarm a Joe Soap to prove a point. Pats fans will of course side with the man who has kept their club afloat for many years but for many others he is just another celtic tiger developer who contributed to screwing many of us.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Sue sue sue

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    I'm nearly say that Stephen enjoyed that 5-0 for some reason! ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Smug? I saw them as straight up questions to ITK Patsdad who i'm sure will be along soon to provide an update on case proceedings, the only person who seemed to know how a judge would rule before any judge was appointed to hear the case. Tbh it is quite possible that the powers that be at St Pats would probably like to just move on now also but have already committed to taking the case to the high court, even the super principled Mr Kelleher.

The whole 'just move on' thinking of fans aside, this could be quite a significant case and ruling for football here, possibly setting a precedence where (some!?)sporting contracts become basically useless - are exemption clauses legal here, whereby someone can or must sign away their legal rights? Could become very messy with the conflict with sporting rules on compensation, tapping up et. at best itd cause a lot of scrambling to issue amended contracts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Lads I was referring to the wider world outside of specifically this forum, wasn't having a go at any one or group of you in particular on here or the debates that went on.

In any case if Pats could somehow work some kind of annexing of Friday's game from the records into this case it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Case was back before court last week on a non-appearance basis and was continued afaik.

i.e AJOURNED

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Smug? I saw them as straight up questions to ITK Patsdad who i'm sure will be along soon to provide an update on case proceedings
    Where is Patsdad, thought he would be straight onto this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12