Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 24th / 25th Feb 2023

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I've been critical all week so I'm delighted to give credit for an excellent result for LTFC tonight. Didn't get to watch it but it sounds like a spirited performance from a very young team. Athlone may be better than I had given them credit for too given their good win tonight.
    Brilliant performance from the young lads. Very unfortunate own goal, probably caused by the new floodlights. The Waterford lads on commentary said before the game that they were the brightest lights they've ever seen and the pylons are low. And that this could cause issues with high balls coming in. Jack made a great double save but other than that I don't think Waterford had much more chances. Very nervy opening 15-20 minutes but after that they settled down. Muhammed took his very well in fairness to him. But I do still think we look very light up top.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Shels better than last week frustrating loss when it was a pretty tight even game but like alot of games last season looking too blunt in the final third. I thought Barrett was fouled leading up to the Pats goal "one of a number of questionable decisions by Neil Doyle" which is a phrase I've been saying on Friday nights for nearly decades now
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Shels better than last week frustrating loss when it was a pretty tight even game but like alot of games last season looking too blunt in the final third. I thought Barrett was fouled leading up to the Pats goal "one of a number of questionable decisions by Neil Doyle" which is a phrase I've been saying on Friday nights for nearly decades now
    I don't see a foul in the replay. Looks like Lewis just gets to the ball in front of Barrett who was excellent for the most part tonight. We were fairly poor tonight but I won't complain about the result. Shels were very defensively set up but I don't see them being in danger at the end of the season. They will grind out enough wins for safety. We will need to improve if we're to challenge for the title and top three. Very ponderous in possession with Redmond and Lewis often passing the ball between themselves for what felt like minutes at a time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Malley has been a find.
    Early days but can't agree with this. He looked good in our preseason friendlies and I was excited about him but the real stuff has started now and he's been massively disappointing in both games. All I can remember him doing is giving the free kick away for the UCD equaliser when he should have been long subbed and losing the ball tonight for Bohs second.

Not sure what his role is either, he's not playing as a number 10 anyway. He's had two chances and hasn't done it. Yli Kokko, impressed when he came on and should be given a chance next Friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Athlone Town flying. Hinds in midfield looks a real find.

Missing our new striker Pierrot through suspension aswell, I expect him to bag alot of goals this season, looked such a handful against Longford before the silly sending off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Harps were chronic bad tonight. Athlone look a handy enough side though.

Referee was utterly abysmal for both sides too.

Could be a long season for us, but it's early days for an entirely new squad.

On another note, the complete lack of any sort of match night arrangements for Athlone is a worry. Zero stewards, zero crowd segregation, zero organisation at the gates, and a mad looking half time kickabout by about 30 teenagers on the pitch who kept running in the middle of the two teams groups of subs who were doing their half time drills.
    Never seen a more chaotic setup.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Early days but can't agree with this. He looked good in our preseason friendlies and I was excited about him but the real stuff has started now and he's been massively disappointing in both games. All I can remember him doing is giving the free kick away for the UCD equaliser when he should have been long subbed and losing the ball tonight for Bohs second.

Not sure what his role is either, he's not playing as a number 10 anyway. He's had two chances and hasn't done it. Yli Kokko, impressed when he came on and should be given a chance next Friday
    Didnt see any of preseason but from the first 2 games I think there is a quality player there. Could change opinion if the whole team are hitting a stride and he isnt showing up. I felt that he scrambled reasonably well, plugging gaps in a midfield that was on the back foot. You are right about the significance of those errors, there have been 2 frees now that hurt us in 2 games. but there was plenty of sloppy moments from more than Malley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    We are top of the league, said we are top of the league…

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    We are top of the league, said we are top of the league…
    Pleasantly surprised by Bohs. 2 games, 2 wins and Dundalk were **** poor tonight. Dundalk goal was a freak bounce from a long range shot Talbot normally deals with all day long.

It took until July for Bohs to win 2 games in a row last season. Hopefully Bohs can continue their form. Nothing to fear from that shocking Dundalk side

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harps were chronic bad tonight. Athlone look a handy enough side though.

Referee was utterly abysmal for both sides too.

Could be a long season for us, but it's early days for an entirely new squad.

On another note, the complete lack of any sort of match night arrangements for Athlone is a worry. Zero stewards, zero crowd segregation, zero organisation at the gates, and a mad looking half time kickabout by about 30 teenagers on the pitch who kept running in the middle of the two teams groups of subs who were doing their half time drills.
    Never seen a more chaotic setup.
    Welcome back to the First Division

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Frustrating result for Waterford in a game they were expected to win. Dominated early on and scored with an own goal and had lots of corners but left Longford back into the game. After Longford equalised we got on top again but didn't create clear chances and Longford defended well. In injury time Longford had a shot that went just over the bar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Disappointing to lose against Sligo this evening; general view (including Paul Buttner) is the winning penalty was outside the box. Certainly looks very tight on the highlights

Thought we played well overall though and certainly we're better than I was thinking we would be. Behan and Kinsella-Bishop have come on well after a year in the LSL and that could be huge for us.

Not sure who we'll finish ahead of yet, but I'd be more confident we will finish ahead of someone
    Yeah thought ye did well. We started both halves great but ye managed to score inside the first couple of minutes then it as all us both halves until we equalised but even enough both halves after that. Winninng penalty looks outside but couldn’t believe he didn’t give a third one after.

Good to see a decent home support. Enjoyed the young lads down the front with the drum. Especially the “is this a library” chant. Pitch not in great knick but never is this time of the year with the rugby from memory

Didn’t do the predictions at the start but would have had ye in playoffs with Cork bottom. Haven’t seen anything to change that yet

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Anyone got a loan of a centre half for next week?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    Pleasantly surprised by bohs , we look very up for it, Devine backing up the talk , I’m impressed. Definitely up for the top 4 battle. Sligo Patrick’s and Derry all look very good, shams curiously stale, ucd and drogs also up for a fight, shels a bit flat so far, poor signings? Fascinating start.
    Great to see every Bohs player work so hard. Defence looking good they can play ball and put in strong tackles, midfield pacey, skillful, willing to work with plenty of creativity and uptop a handful for any defence. We just need to see games out better. A great start to the season but there won't be any easy games this year and that includes the teams expected to be at the bottom. So one game at a time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    bohs impressive on highlights. devine has the rocket up them anyway. gary cronins fingerprints all over that team, helps working with better players aswell. city are going down , we are hopeless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Didn’t think we looked jaded , in fact if Kenny took a few of the sitters he was played in for we’d of been at least 3 up… he didn’t and then the Grace/Cleary moron show kicked in ….. Cleary particularly was a disgrace managing to go out of his way to make sure he got two yellows ; he’s been superb since he joined but tonight’s act of petulance will take a long time to redeem
    Clearys second yellow looks harsh

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    11 yellows and 3 reds in Rovers first 2 matches. Cleary needs to reflect on his actions this week and i am sure he will but when will people learn that narking a ref in no way helps you or your teams chances of winning. Get the psychology support staff in there quick Bradser. When you look back at this season in in its entirety on paper 2 draws away to Sligo and Drogheda would not raise any disapproving eyebrows but this mornings reflections are more of the shooting ourselves in both feet with both barrels type. Derry next week now assumes an even bigger rating on the importance pole, 3 defenders missing, the team possibly afraid/reluctant to tackle and refs looking to nail Rovers players petulance. Full house cant wait WAR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    11 yellows and 3 reds in Rovers first 2 matches. Cleary needs to reflect on his actions this week and i am sure he will but when will people learn that narking a ref in no way helps you or your teams chances of winning. Get the psychology support staff in there quick Bradser. When you look back at this season in in its entirety on paper 2 draws away to Sligo and Drogheda would not raise any disapproving eyebrows but this mornings reflections are more of the shooting ourselves in both feet with both barrels type. Derry next week now assumes an even bigger rating on the importance pole, 3 defenders missing, the team possibly afraid/reluctant to tackle and refs looking to nail Rovers players petulance. Full house cant wait WAR.
    Expect Sean Hoare will be fit and is it confirmed that Lopes is suspended next week ? As for the 11 yellows not as bad as it looks as nearly all of them were for time wasting after the red cards… agree 100% that Cleary et al need to reflect on their indiscipline…. And Bradley will ensure they will

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Pleasantly surprised by Bohs. 2 games, 2 wins and Dundalk were **** poor tonight. Dundalk goal was a freak bounce from a long range shot Talbot normally deals with all day long.

It took until July for Bohs to win 2 games in a row last season. Hopefully Bohs can continue their form. Nothing to fear from that shocking Dundalk side
    When you think of all the Dundalk sides since 2014, that has to be the poorest one for quality I have seen. For sure early days yet but a great start. Big improvement since the dark days of last season and we actually have a bit of bite in us this year, which is very pleasing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    All part of the plan, be rubbish early, give a false sense of security and then roar back to win the league!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast