Thread: Box Set / Series Binging - Catch All Thread

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

Box Set / Series Binging - Catch All Thread

Anyone else watching The Last Of Us ?
    I didn't even know it was a video game, not a gamer. I think it's superb.

Oh and any under the radar Scandinoir ones ? My recommend would be Monster, out of Norway on All4. Not a stable character in it, most of all the detectives hunting the obligatory killer.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    The Last of Us is really fantastic. It's a certainty to win a heap of awards.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Enjoying The Last of Us too. Wasn't familiar with the game so no real expectations, had noticed a bit of hype around it and decided to give it a go. Episode three was the standout for me, the Bill and Frank story would work well as a stand alone short film, had me in tears anyway. Even the characters in it for a short time are really well developed and they make you care about them very quickly, I haven't seen too many shows that have done it as well if any. Episode 4 was probably the weakest and the action of 5 was quite good, but I think the less the infected appear the better it is so far.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Completely forgot about that, downloading now, looking forward to it.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Episode three was the standout for me, the Bill and Frank story would work well as a stand alone short film, had me in tears anyway. Even the characters in it for a short time are really well developed and they make you care about them very quickly, I haven't seen too many shows that have done it as well if any. Episode 4 was probably the weakest
    Absolutely, yes, it just came from nowhere didn't it, the change of gear from the expected narrative & how it was written, acted, just brilliant.
    Agree on Ep 4, I expected a step back and build the story episode with less happenings and this one stepped back without really building, I felt.

Ep 5 is tonight for me, my lady has been working so I have to wait because she wont watch it without me as its scary, but equally wants to see it, go figure lads. Hasn't been easy as it went out early because of Super Bowl I think. So for 24 hrs no Ep 5 spoilers please ( which I realise is a ridiculous request having started the bloody thread )
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Enjoying The Last of Us too. Wasn't familiar with the game so no real expectations, had noticed a bit of hype around it and decided to give it a go. Episode three was the standout for me, the Bill and Frank story would work well as a stand alone short film, had me in tears anyway. Even the characters in it for a short time are really well developed and they make you care about them very quickly, I haven't seen too many shows that have done it as well if any. Episode 4 was probably the weakest and the action of 5 was quite good, but I think the less the infected appear the better it is so far.
    Couple of real tearjerker moments throughout in it. The casting has been the most impressive part, for me. Pedro Pascal is a superb actor. Loved him in Narcos and think he's been the perfect casting for Joel in this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    BTW if you haven't seen Shrinking with Jason Segal and Harrison Ford, I'd give it a go. Kind of an off-centre sitcom, good characters, more LOLs than usual for an American show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrinking_(TV_series)

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Great shouts on here. I've been enjoying both The Last of Us and Shrinking. It's a good combo to have on as the Last of Us would leave you a bit shook and Shrinking is a nice comedic recovery show.

Agree on Episode 4 of TLoU. I've read that it was the closest to the game of any episode, i.e. they basically followed the game scene for scene. So it probably lost something for anyone who hasn't played the game.

I thought House of the Dragon was decent too. Better so far than the original Game of Thrones, at least post Season 2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Couple of real tearjerker moments throughout in it. The casting has been the most impressive part, for me. Pedro Pascal is a superb actor. Loved him in Narcos and think he's been the perfect casting for Joel in this.
    Yeah he's fantasic. Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett were top class as well.

I only know Bartlett from the White Lotus, where he was also very good. Enjoyed the White Lotus, especially the second season.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 15/02/2023 at 5:05 PM.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I loved the 1st season of White Lotus, thought the 2nd was a very poor imitation. The drawn-out nature of the show was completely let down by a weak plot and bland characters; including Jennifer Coolidge drove me nuts (but no Daddario!?); and the woeful remix of the amazing S01 de Veer soundtrack was just appalling -- the soundtrack made the 1st season, I still listen to it today and was really looking forward to something similar but new, like he did with Utopia. Not sure I'd bother with a 3rd season after that.

On which note, if you haven't seen Utopia, go do that now. Great, great Dennis Kelly show.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I loved the 1st season of White Lotus, thought the 2nd was a very poor imitation. The drawn-out nature of the show was completely let down by a weak plot and bland characters; including Jennifer Coolidge drove me nuts (but no Daddario!?); and the woeful remix of the amazing S01 de Veer soundtrack was just appalling -- the soundtrack made the 1st season, I still listen to it today and was really looking forward to something similar but new, like he did with Utopia. Not sure I'd bother with a 3rd season after that.

On which note, if you haven't seen Utopia, go do that now. Great, great Dennis Kelly show.
    I thought the second season was an improvement but both were good. I found some of the first seasons characters a bit weak, especially the family. Plenty rich enough to have a 2/3 bedroom place so I couldn't buy the situation they'd put themselves in! Did enjoy Bartlett though. I'll have to have a listen to the respective soundtracks. I do remember it causing a bit more tension in the first season but I think the second season did a better job of that through the plot. You knew it was going south but it was drawn out so painfully albeit there were some flimsy holes in it. It's the kind of show my wife and I watch with wine though so it's completely possible we just drank more for the second!

Will check out Utopia!
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    If nobody has watched The Boys, showing on Amazon Prime (or wherever best 'alternatives' you get your shows from), I'd highly recommend. The anti-superhero show. Only got into it last year so had a bit of catching up to do on it. Three seasons out so far. Karl Urban playing a p!ssed off London anti-hero with a severe dislike for a group of so-called superheroes, sort of an Avengers type group, who aren't all they're portrayed to be in the media, but heavily marketed and monetised by a major corporation.

Hard to describe much more without spoilers but it's well worth a watch.

Looking forward to the next season of Rings of Power and House of The Dragon. Bit unfortunate that both came along at the same time, as HoTD really outshone the mega-budget Rings of Power, although I still enjoyed both shows. Unfortunate that it looks like neither of them will return until 2024.

Better Call Saul had a pretty spectacular ending, for another best of 2022 show. It was a bit of a slow burner all along, but I think it finally caught up with Breaking Bad and was equally as impressive, if not more impressive, by the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I read the comic The Boys is based on before the TV show came out. It's even more over the top and violent than the show, if you can believe it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    The Boys is a great show. Has some ups and downs quality wise at times, but overall I really enjoy it. Definitely not for everyone.

White Lotus has been mentioned also really enjoyed both series. Wife is with Adam, in terms of really not liking Jennifer Coolidge and preferring the first season.

I wasn't as blown away by House of the Dragon as some, not to say I didn't enjoy it and looking forward to the next season but I didn't get pulled into it as much as some other series.

Need to revisit the Rings of Power, think I only watched the first episode and it didn't really grab me. I watched the Wheel of Time too and though it was decent, I know there's been some very mixed reviews on that.

Euphoria is another one I'd recommend if you haven't given it a look yet. Reacher and Jack Ryan are others that are an easy watch, although I thought Jack Ryan dropped off a lot between season 1 and 2, haven't finished 3 yet.

On the lighter side, Only Murders in the Building is an enjoyable watch. Also on Disney, The Bear is a brilliantly acted, very intense at times, comedy/drama.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    The Last of Us is the standout for me from the last twelve months, if not longer. From ‘that’ particular death in the first episode (anyone who’s watched it will know the one I mean) into episode 3
    Frank: So, who's the girl? Girl you're singing about?
    Bill: There is no girl.
    Frank: I know.
    which is, frankly, a superb piece of understated writing – the whole scene is building to it, and then, 14 words, 12 of them monosyllables… Whoof, it’s writing you won’t forget easily. On top of that, Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsay have a brilliant rapport. For a 19-year old, her presence is unreal.

Managed to get round to the first season of Babylon Berlin, and really enjoyed it. Very atmospheric and there are the gradual signs of the disintegration of Weimar Germany that, I hear, come faster as the series goes on.

A couple of English ones – the last season of Happy Valley. The first two seasons were superb, this one felt a little underwhelming. Five really good episodes, then a finale that probably should have been feature length as it left too many threads undone, or solved with a ‘by the way, the other killer, just down t’road from ere’ kind of thing. And The English, I’m a sucker for a good western (Deadwood, Godless), and this had just about everything, apart from the ending -I thought it dragged about ten minutes too long. One I’ll watch again all the same.

I started Only Murders in the Building, PI, just last week - three episodes in, so far so good.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Keep it coming lads! I'm downloading like mad here.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Afterparty is good craic too btw.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Some great calls here. Going back a bit I've really enjoyed Succession, Severance and Ozark as well. The Witcher was decent too.

Had high hopes for Westworld but I think they lost the plot pretty early.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    If you liked The Wire, watch We Own This City. Need's a lot of concentration as a lot of the scenes time hop, takes a bit of getting used to. Very good though.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post

Had high hopes for Westworld but I think they lost the plot pretty early.
    First season of Westworld was so good, second started to lose it's way and third I'm not sure why I stuck with it. Had season four series linked and ended up just deleting it without watching a minute.

I need to go back to Succession and We Own This City, watched a couple of episodes but didn't get back to them, same with Better Call Saul. Watched the first few seasons of Ozark but then drifted away and I think left it too long and was a bit lost with the third season, might need to go back and watch from the start.

I drop in and out of Brassic too. It's an easy watch with some good moments but not great overall. Joseph Gilgun is a super actor, he's probably a bit wasted in it really and without him it would be fairly unwatchable.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Succession is the bees knees. I had the theme tune as my ringtone for a while.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast