Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Box Set / Series Binging - Catch All Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Currently watching Mindhunter, 4 episodes in, very good so far. Had it in Jellyfin for ages, was reminded of it by Anna Torv in The Last Of Us.
    I found it a bit prestige-TV-glacial at times, but it's very good. Sadly cancelled without enough notice to draw things to a conclusion.

Speaking of which, I've finally gotten around to Raised by Wolves. Ridley Scott directs the first couple of episodes, establishing striking visuals. It's of a piece with his Alien and Blade Runner movies: interested in AI and humanity, faith and logic. A colony on a new world is established based on embryos raised by a pair of androids fleeing a religious vs atheist conflict that's made the Earth uninhabitable. It's uneven in terms of plotting and dialogue, and the second season especially is full of flanderised characters and Lost-style micromysteries which seen to be written on the fly but the highlights are very worth it if you like scifi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    I loved Raised By Wolves at the start and disliked it by the end. A wasted opportunity.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    TLoU seem to have left themselves a lot to get through in the remaining two episodes, obviously there will be a S2 but S1 needs a befitting end point to a really super few weeks of TV.
    Slowcoach here finally got to the final episode of TLoU the other night, testament to the show how difficult it was to avoid spoilers in daily life, online and at work while I got around to it.

Jesus, that was a thing wasn't it, loved it.

Looking at Station Eleven next, has reviewed comparably with TLoU on the usual suspect rating sites, post societal breakdown pandemic story again, a flu this time evolves to kill us pretty much on the spot. Set in the outbreak itself period, two years later and twenty years later with the backfill on the first three episodes shaping this up very intriguingly.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Loving Mindhunter, onto S02 now, although I know I'm going to be disappointed by the cold open scenes, I assume they won't be resolved.

Downloading Station Eleven now, but I couldn't jump into a new show so similar so quickly! The reviews are indeed great though, must try to remember I have it.

Going to try Loot tonight, was reminded of it by a trailer on YouTube. Looks like a lark.

Dying to watch Succession, but I hate week-to-week, going to try to hold tough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Dying to watch Succession, but I hate week-to-week, going to try to hold tough.
    haha - exact same!! My wife is mad though - so we've settled on letting 5 episodes build up before starting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Downloading Station Eleven now, but I couldn't jump into a new show so similar so quickly! The reviews are indeed great though, must try to remember I have it.
    Definitely give it a spin, IMO, & it was the week to week situation with TLoU which led me to it, I couldn't wait basically so I went looking for a gap filler which ( big statement incoming ) has matched TLoU comfortably thus far. Beautifully written, shot, structured & delivered.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    I jumped into Station Eleven and I'm glad I did, it's different enough to TLoU to be absolutely fine. I'm finding it both fascinating and frustrating.

Watch E07 Goodbye My Damaged Home last night, it was one of the best episodes of TV I've watched in a while.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Caught Secrets of the Chippendale Murders on BBC the last two Mondays. It came on after BBC quiz night; hadn't particularly intended on watching three hours of a documentary on a male strip troupe, but it was fascinating stuff. Way more actual murders than I'd expected.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Caught Secrets of the Chippendale Murders on BBC the last two Mondays. It came on after BBC quiz night; hadn't particularly intended on watching three hours of a documentary on a male strip troupe, but it was fascinating stuff. Way more actual murders than I'd expected.
    Caught the last 45 minutes of the documentary. Had just finished watching the drama version on Disney a few days ago. The drama is very watchable, it's had mixed enough reviews but there's a lot worse out there. All the acting is solid and they story is engaging enough. I was sorry I didn't catch more of the documentary, it's always interesting to see where artistic licence has been taken versus the reality (or at least the version of reality presented by the documentary!).

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Definitely give it a spin, IMO, & it was the week to week situation with TLoU which led me to it, I couldn't wait basically so I went looking for a gap filler which ( big statement incoming ) has matched TLoU comfortably thus far. Beautifully written, shot, structured & delivered.

Enjoying Station Eleven as well. The book is great and so far they've done a brilliant job of bringing it to the screen.

Succession has been fantastic.

Shrinking is my new favourite comedy.

Sucker for alliteration I suppose.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    Went down market over the long weekend with House of the Dragon. It's ... fine. No Game of Thrones, but watchable and a lot easier to follow! I couldn't warm to Milly Alcock as Rhaenyra, and Matt Smith I tend to blow hot and cold on.

Also finished Kleo on Netflix, about a Stasi assassin framed and imprisoned by her own side and released when the Berlin Wall comes down. Cue a nifty revenge and conspiracy thriller that takes in Germany, Spain and Cuba. Good pace and just the right mix of action and fun.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Station Eleven was extremely satisfying to watch, although if you asked me to pin down the reason why, I don't think I could. It was just a lovely story in its own way, well told, well filmed and well acted. Enjoyed it immensely, just sad now I don't have anything decent lined up next!

Thanks for the rec @CraftyToePoke!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Enjoying Station Eleven as well. The book is great and so far they've done a brilliant job of bringing it to the screen.
    Station Eleven was extremely satisfying to watch, although if you asked me to pin down the reason why, I don't think I could. It was just a lovely story in its own way, well told, well filmed and well acted. Enjoyed it immensely, just sad now I don't have anything decent lined up nextThanks for the rec @CraftyToePoke!
    G'waaan da boyaz
    Nice to hear.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Watched the Sopranos from start to finish for the 10th time over the past few weeks (retirement is great). What a show. Breaking Bad would be my next favourite. Better Call Saul I watched twice but not as good as I had hoped. Ozark was good. Can take or leave The Wire. Have heard SUCCESSION is great but don't have Sky Atlantic - apparently Tom Wambsgans is very like me. The Stranger by Harlan Coben is a good watch.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    I'll throw up personal Top Ten lists... its roughly in order (as of today - it could already be stale) and i'm sure someone will suggest something that i'll think "flip, that should be in there" or stuff i havent yet seen...but here's a starting point...

- broke into broad categories of dramas and then comedies
    - I didnt include cartoons (personal preference - Family Guy and The Simpsons miss out, maybe Southpark)
    - prefereably more than one season
    - no sketch shows or true documentaries
    - just stuff i have watched in full.

Drama:
    1. The Wire
    2. Breaking Bad
    3. Succession
    4. The Sopranos
    5. Peaky Blinders
    6. Ozark
    7. Band of Brothers
    8. Mad Men
    9. Better Call Saul
    10. Fargo

Comedies:
    1. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    2. The Office (USA)
    3. I’m Alan Partridge
    4. Fawlty Towers
    5. Arrested Development
    6. Spaced
    7. The Office (UK)
    8. Only Fools and Horses
    9. Flight of the Conchords
    10. Scrubs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'll throw up personal Top Ten lists... its roughly in order (as of today - it could already be stale) and i'm sure someone will suggest something that i'll think "flip, that should be in there" or stuff i havent yet seen...but here's a starting point...

Drama:
    1. The Wire
    2. Breaking Bad
    3. Succession
    4. The Sopranos
    5. Peaky Blinders
    6. Ozark
    7. Band of Brothers
    8. Mad Men
    9. Better Call Saul
    10. Fargo
    If you haven't watched La Casa De Papel, I'd imagine it'll definitely make your list...

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Watched the Sopranos from start to finish for the 10th time over the past few weeks (retirement is great). What a show.
    Just when I thought I was out...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

- broke into broad categories of dramas and then comedies
    - I didnt include cartoons (personal preference - Family Guy and The Simpsons miss out, maybe Southpark)
    - prefereably more than one season
    - no sketch shows or true documentaries
    - just stuff i have watched in full.

Drama:
    1. The Wire
    2. Breaking Bad
    3. Succession
    4. The Sopranos
    5. Peaky Blinders
    6. Ozark
    7. Band of Brothers
    8. Mad Men
    9. Better Call Saul
    10. Fargo

Comedies:
    1. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    2. The Office (USA)
    3. I’m Alan Partridge
    4. Fawlty Towers
    5. Arrested Development
    6. Spaced
    7. The Office (UK)
    8. Only Fools and Horses
    9. Flight of the Conchords
    10. Scrubs
    I'd forgotten about Fargo. Very good for the first season or two. Thought it faded a bit but might need to revisit.

Where do you rank Parks and Recreation on the comedies list? It seems like it would fit in to yours somewhere.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    If you haven't watched La Casa De Papel, I'd imagine it'll definitely make your list...
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I'd forgotten about Fargo. Very good for the first season or two. Thought it faded a bit but might need to revisit.

Where do you rank Parks and Recreation on the comedies list? It seems like it would fit in to yours somewhere.
    Awesome. That’s two I will add to my watchlist! Thanks both.

Fargo wasn’t perfect but it was solid and good fun. I really enjoyed the season with Ewan McGregor which might be the one you’re referring to! All that said, it would be a definite #10 - I had House of Cards there but kicked it off last minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Parks & Rec's first season is noticably weaker than later on. Some people skip it entirely. It gets very good though.

30 Rock is the one I'd add there. It's a bit goofier than most of your list, but worth trying.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast