Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Box Set / Series Binging - Catch All Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Mindhunter on Netflix is well worth a watch….
    Gomorrah is brilliant aswell…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Some great calls here. Going back a bit I've really enjoyed Succession, Severance and Ozark as well. The Witcher was decent too.

Had high hopes for Westworld but I think they lost the plot pretty early.
    Huge fan of Ozark and glad it ended while it was still excellent.

Regarding Succession, I think it is one of the best shows out there. Absolutely fascinating characters and enthralling story. Up there with The Wire as one of the greatest shows ever in my opinion.

We're late to the party on Mad Men, just recently started watching it and 3 seasons in now. Its very good, also an easy watch with good character development - even though they're all generally despicable. John Hamm is excellent and its a good mix of drama and low key humour. Interested in how it plays out. I'd recommend it, if I'm not the only person who hasn't watched it...

Other recommendations are Band of Brothers and The Pacific - kind of part of the same theme regarding WWII. Really gripping.

I'll also throw in a recommendation for Seasons 1-3 or 4 of Billions. It has completely jumped the shark in the last couple of seasons but the first 3, for sure, were excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    If you liked The Wire, watch We Own This City. Need's a lot of concentration as a lot of the scenes time hop, takes a bit of getting used to. Very good though.
    Agree here too. Really enjoyed We Own This City. Baltimore is an interesting place...

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    I sense a ranking coming so I'm going to get ahead of it.....

Not including pure comedies or cartoons......that's a whole different ball game. There's also a few I haven't seen (Band of Brothers has evaded me somehow). Will also try to only take shows who are good all the way through OR haven't yet fallen apart.....

The Sopranos - I used to say The Wire was top dog but I rewatched both a few times and I think the Sopranos just about wins out.

The Wire - Actually maybe The Wire is better..............

Succession - So good that I want it to end before it gets bad.

Ozark - dark and funny, similar to the Sopranos in that it puts a family drama in the middle of an unusual context.

Deadwood - Have to rewatch some scenes to make out what they are saying but when you tease out the dialogue it's just brilliant.

Never got into Mad Men, Breaking Bad (enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Saul though) or Lost which some might have up there.

Just thought of another good watch - The Terror.....you have to basically dismiss one plot piece (you'll know it when you see it) but outside of that some of the acting is excellent and it's paced well.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Just thought of another good watch - The Terror.....you have to basically dismiss one plot piece (you'll know it when you see it) but outside of that some of the acting is excellent and it's paced well.
    Caught the last five minutes of it on terrestrial Irish TV once and it just had something, that bit of presence, found out what it was but back in the UK had to get BritBox side scam Shuddr to watch it, did the seven day trial & really glad I did, superb, different, different setting ( almost unique I'd say ) and so well acted. Only difference is I liked the Tuunbaq.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Caught the last five minutes of it on terrestrial Irish TV once and it just had something, that bit of presence, found out what it was but back in the UK had to get BritBox side scam Shuddr to watch it, did the seven day trial & really glad I did, superb, different, different setting ( almost unique I'd say ) and so well acted. Only difference is I liked the Tuunbaq.
    I should have liked it as well. If I'd stumbled across it myself I might have but my da prepped me beforehand, possibly creating an unfair bias. Makes me wonder if I should take back my comment above! I was also reading a book at the time with a similar story so maybe I was looking for more realism.

Either way I think you can enjoy it with or without that angle. Agree that it felt unique.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I sense a ranking coming so I'm going to get ahead of it.....

Not including pure comedies or cartoons......that's a whole different ball game. There's also a few I haven't seen (Band of Brothers has evaded me somehow). Will also try to only take shows who are good all the way through OR haven't yet fallen apart.....

The Sopranos - I used to say The Wire was top dog but I rewatched both a few times and I think the Sopranos just about wins out.

The Wire - Actually maybe The Wire is better..............

Succession - So good that I want it to end before it gets bad.

Ozark - dark and funny, similar to the Sopranos in that it puts a family drama in the middle of an unusual context.

Deadwood - Have to rewatch some scenes to make out what they are saying but when you tease out the dialogue it's just brilliant.

Never got into Mad Men, Breaking Bad (enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Saul though) or Lost which some might have up there.

Loved all them apart from Lost. The Shield for me should always be talked about, brilliant throughout and a quality conclusion unlike some.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Started 'Bad Sisters'. Not far enough along to rate it properly but the first two episodes are solid. Bit like an Irish version of Pretty Little Liars but.....possibly actually good.

Last episode of TLoU was a cracker. It's figured out about 4 or 5 different ways to make me choke up at this point.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Bad Sisters is good craic, I enjoyed it. Really very hard to go wrong with Sharon Horgan, she's great.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Bad Sisters is good craic, I enjoyed it. Really very hard to go wrong with Sharon Horgan, she's great.
    I enjoyed Catastrophe. Anything else she's done that you recommend?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    I enjoyed Catastrophe. Anything else she's done that you recommend?
    This Way Up, with Aisling Bea is good.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    She is. One of my wifes favourite irish actresses. Loved Bad Sisters too. Thought Eva Hewson and Brian Gleeson were excellent in it too.

Catastrophe was excellent. Thought they could have gone with another season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Her first show was Pulling, which she wrote with Denis Kelly of Utopia fame. And she co-created Motherland, which is good craic. And she was in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret with David Cross, which is David Cross funny.

I've just discovered another show she created called Shining Vale, which stars Courtney Cox. Downloading now!

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    TLoU seem to have left themselves a lot to get through in the remaining two episodes, obviously there will be a S2 but S1 needs a befitting end point to a really super few weeks of TV.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Finished the first series of The Last of Us. Felt a little rushed in the ending, as it takes quite a significant longer amount of time to get through some of those parts in the game, but overall it's a hugely enjoyable TV show.

Probably have to wait two years for the next season, as with most major HBO shows.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    ANyone enjoy Taboo?
    I'm a complete Tom Hardy fanboy, but I really really liked that show.

also, the wire ftw. fullstop.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Finished the first series of The Last of Us. Felt a little rushed in the ending, as it takes quite a significant longer amount of time to get through some of those parts in the game, but overall it's a hugely enjoyable TV show.

Probably have to wait two years for the next season, as with most major HBO shows.
    The last episode did seem a bit condensed as a few things happened that might have been stretched out to full episodes but I haven't played the game so I don't know how they differ.

It worked for me as a standalone, particularly seeing how their relationship dynamic shifted from the opening scenes to the closing ones. It was a pretty big change but it was believable given what happens in the episode. And their actions, Joel's especially, are believable in the context of the shift. Great watching.

Would the game be worth playing after seeing the show?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts

Would the game be worth playing after seeing the show?

Definitely, yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Currently watching Mindhunter, 4 episodes in, very good so far. Had it in Jellyfin for ages, was reminded of it by Anna Torv in The Last Of Us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Started watching 'Pepsi, Where's My Jet?' on Netflix. Looks promising enough.

Documents the Leonard v Pepsico court battle in the mid-90s, over Pepsi points vs false advertising..in a nutshell.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast