Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cian Hughton(B 1989)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cian Hughton(B 1989)

I see Chris Hughtons son was picked for the U18's I hope he turns out to be as good as his dad and not like Paul Dalglish http://rte.ie/sport/2007/0127/under18.html
    Pull my finger!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Its good to see he's opted for us. i think Chris qualified under the grandparents rule but i think he was always quite proud of his roots. Its always going to be difficult for someone with a famous player for a father because great things will always be expected. A few names spring to mind, like Jordi Cruyff, Chris McGrath (Pauls son) and i seem to remember Johhny Giles son getting lots of attention when he played in the LOI in the 80's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Slightly off topic, I've been wondering something recently. If one of the players who qualified for us through his grandparents (say Clinton Morrison) has a son who is born in England, but wants to play for Ireland, can he declare for Ireland given that his father has an Irish passport, or will he be deemed ineligible for a passport and not be able to play for us?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would reckon they cannot play for Ireland unless they have a grandparent or parent who is Irish.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I would reckon they cannot play for Ireland unless they have a grandparent or parent who is Irish.
    This is not my attempt at a wind-up (well not really ), but I really don't see how Cian Hughton qualifies for the ROI under the existing rules (assuming Chris qualified thanks to a grandparent).

Whatever his heritage and his father's accomplishments, Cian was born in the England i.e. the footballing jurisdiction of the FA. Therefore, if he wishes to represent the ROI, this must surely be considered to be a "transfer" of nationality. And post-2004, the Rules state that not having been born within the ROI's jurisdiction himself, Cian will need either to have a parent or grandparent who was born in Ireland or himself to have resided continuously in the ROI for the last two years.

The fact that his background/ancestry etc might be sufficient cause for the Irish Government to grant Cian citizenship/passport etc is hardly relevant, since the Rules were tightened since the willingness of certain Governments to naturalise non-natives was making a mockery of the normal principles of eligibility.

P.S. I have absolutely nothing against Cian's right to represent the ROI should he want, since it doesn't in any way affect NI. It seems strange that someone can't represent the country his father did. Indeed, as a Spurs fan from Chris's playing days, I'd be more than happy to see Cian follow in his father's footsteps for both club and country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Maybe it was Chris Hughtons parents that allowed him to Qualify for Ireland
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My parents were born in Ireland. I was born outside the country while my father was serving with the UN in his capacity as an Irish army officer. My family returned to Ireland when I was six weeks old.

Step forward a good few years. I'm living in the states and I have a son who I decide I'll register as an Irish citizen. Turns out he's not eligible through me as I wasn't born in the country. I'd be interested to hear from Cian how he pulled this off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Cause you can play for Ireland if your grand parents are born in Ireland, Maybe thats how he qualifies
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Like most of us, I know sod all about Cian's background but I guess he has a mother too? Any idea where she is from?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Maybe this article will put all our minds at rest.

FindArticles > Publications > Free > News & Society > Sunday Mirror > Feb 2, 2003 > Article

Football: CHRIS SO GLAD TO BE CALLED UP
    Sunday Mirror, Feb 2, 2003 by CATHAL DERVAN

Almost 24 years after he became the first black player to represent the Republic of Ireland, Hughton will take up his role as Brian Kerr's assistant manager.

And Hughton, who won 53 caps for his mother's land, is counting down the days to next weekend's first squad get-together in Glasgow ahead of the Hampden friendly with Scotland.

"If I get half as much pleasure and find half as much happiness as coach as I did in all my time as a player with Ireland, then I will be the happiest man in the world," said Hughton after his appointment was rubber-stamped by his club Tottenham and the FAI on Friday.

"I played for 12 years for Ireland and I have nothing but great memories of all those 53 games I was involved in under Johnny Giles, Eoin Hand and Jack Charlton.

"The highlights on the field were playing in the European Championship in 1988 and going as part of the squad to our first World Cup finals in 1990. But for me, the special highlight was coming through the arrivals door at Dublin Airport in 1979 and knowing I was about to play for my country and make my mum, who was born in Limerick, the proudest mother in the world.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
    I'm living in the states and I have a son who I decide I'll register as an Irish citizen.
    Bobby.. a kid born abroad of someone who was born in Ireland is automatically a citizen. There's no need for a foreign birth registration, in that specific situation.

In contrast, a kid born abroad, of an Irish parent who was also born abroad to a parent who was born in Ireland, does have to register as a foreign birth in order to invoke Irish citizenship .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=267

A person born abroad to a parent who, although not born in Ireland, was otherwise an Irish citizen at the time of the person’s birth, can become an Irish citizen by applying for Foreign Births Registration
    ---

You can read the rest there. Basically Chris Hughton could've registered Cian's "Irishness" when he was born, therefore making him eligible for an irish passport
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cclinton View Post
    Bobby.. a kid born abroad of someone who was born in Ireland is automatically a citizen. There's no need for a foreign birth registration, in that specific situation.

In contrast, a kid born abroad, of an Irish parent who was also born abroad to a parent who was born in Ireland, does have to register as a foreign birth in order to invoke Irish citizenship .
    Exactly correct. I am dealing with this situation as we prepare for the birth of a child here in Japan. Our child will automatically be an Irish citizen, but our grandchildren would have to register. I am guessing that is they register, and become a citizen, then their children, grandchildren etc, would be able to continue the process by continuing to register.

From a football point of view, what we should do is confer Irish citizenship posthumously on the entire porulation of Brazil..................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Glad someone found the article ...Chris mam, (Cians Gran) is from Southill, Limerick city.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    but I really don't see how Cian Hughton qualifies for the ROI under the existing rules (assuming Chris qualified thanks to a grandparent).
    The word assuming is important here. As it turns out, his mum is Irish, but we weren't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    So no more tosh from Ealing Green then!
    None of the words are important here.

Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    P.S. I have absolutely nothing against Cian's right to represent the ROI should he want, since it doesn't in any way affect NI. It seems strange that someone can't represent the country his father did. Indeed, as a Spurs fan from Chris's playing days, I'd be more than happy to see Cian follow in his father's footsteps for both club and country.
    Is this the "tosh" you are talking about Tuff Paddy?

On a side note, does a person have to become a citizen of a country in order to play for them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I thought you'd packing to do TP.

Inflatable novelty tricolour hammer -Check
    All in one leprechaun beard/wig/hat combo device -Check

After all -The San Marinese lie o'er the hill.
    Last edited by Lionel Ritchie; 04/02/2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: timed out first time
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Ealing, I have never seen anyone who writes as much on here, with so little of it making sense, are you being paid to liven up debate?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    There are a lot more EalingGreens up North, that's why the debate about an all Ireland team is a phoney debate. Personally I'm hoping that the increasing numbers of young Irish players who live in NI and have opted to play for Ireland will continue and become the first and natural choice for Irish players of a nationalist persuasion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Spring must be here; the cavemen are awakening from their winter slumber and posting to foot.ie.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Its good to see he's opted for us. i think Chris qualified under the grandparents rule but i think he was always quite proud of his roots...
    Limerick born mother. Ghanaian father. Met them both a few years ago. I know Chris well myself, and there's no doubting his Irishness.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
    My parents were born in Ireland. I was born outside the country while my father was serving with the UN in his capacity as an Irish army officer. My family returned to Ireland when I was six weeks old.

Step forward a good few years. I'm living in the states and I have a son who I decide I'll register as an Irish citizen. Turns out he's not eligible through me as I wasn't born in the country. I'd be interested to hear from Cian how he pulled this off.
    You've been ill advised. Neither myself nor Conchita were born in Ireland but our kids (three Irish born grandparents) are Irish citizens. Actually, your birth status means that you could not have picked up citizenship in any country because of your father's diplomatic work. I had to fork out about £35 each for a FBC, which takes around six months to process as it goes back to Dublin. Well worth it though, and unless there is a break in the generation, Irish citizenship is passed on indefinitely providing a FBC is purchased. This info is sadly not something in the public domain. It came as a shock for my first born, and only a contact at the Irish Embassy in London sorted this out within a day (so much for the six months etc.)
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast