Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Rio Ferdinand signs new contract at Manchester United

thecorner

Rio Ferdinand signs new contract at Manchester United

Rio Ferdinand has signed a new four-year contract with Manchester United.

The England international has ended all doubts about his future and agreed to commit himself to the club on lucrative new terms.

It has been reported that the centre back was offered around £100,000 per week to remain at Old Trafford.

Sir Alex Ferguson has urged the Manchester United fans to stop barracking Ferdinand ahead of the UEFA Champions League qualifier with Debrecen.

The season kicks off for United when the Hungarian outfit travel to Old Trafford on Tuesday night and Ferguson is expecting a tough examination.

With Ferdinand still the target of the boo-boys throughout the pre-season, the developments on the eve of the campaign should help ease the pressure on the former Leeds star.

"I think we've made our points about that," he stated before the news broke of Ferdinand's signing. "I think we've addressed it in the proper way.

"He's a Manchester United player. He's training and has been terrific and given me 100 percent on the football field. All we should concern ourselves about is he's putting that strip on and Manchester United fans would expect to get behind him.

"Of course, there's always a percentage who are always hard to please, it doesn't matter what the issues are.

"Tomorrow, we've got to get off to a really good start in terms of unity of the whole club - supporters, players and my staff; if we do that, we have a major chance."

Ferguson believes The Premiership has overtaken La Liga as the best league in the world.

"The English clubs have a great chance of doing well in this cup," he opined. "There is a handicap in terms of the amount of football you have to play but Liverpool did it last year so it can be done.

"They're both difficult to win [the Champions League and Premiership]. Look at the Premier Division now. Chelsea had one defeat, Arsenal nil defeats the season before. The bar has been risen.

"That's not to say that the level of the top teams has gone beyond everyone, though it might suggest that.

"The quality at the moment is fantastic, to be honest. It's better now than Spain. Up to two years ago, I think Spanish football hit a great peak. Without question, it was the benchmark for Europe but I think England has caught up and gone beyond that."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Ferdinand Finally Commits To United

Rio Ferdinand has ended his long-standing contract dispute by agreeing a new four-year deal with Manchester United.

The England international has been booed by his own supporters throughout United's pre-season campaign, with fans angry at the 27-year-old's resistance to committing to a new £100,000-a-week deal.

However, on the eve of the Red Devils' first competitive game of the campaign- a Champions League qualifier against Debrecen - Ferdinand has committed his future to the club until 2009.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This is the 2nd time I've merged a thread about Rio's new contract into this one. It's no problem but I'm just going to just bump the thread here so people notice it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    This is the 2nd time I've merged a thread about Rio's new contract into this one. It's no problem but I'm just going to just bump the thread here so people notice it.
    Thanks but do you not think the corner and I's post should be in a separate thread? After all it is a different player
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    You're quite right Sligo. I totally forgot that was an old thread taking the mickey. Thanks for that. It's my first day on the job. Sorry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    You're quite right Sligo. I totally forgot that was an old thread taking the mickey. Thanks for that. It's my first day on the job. Sorry
    No bother, first day nerves ha?

thecorner
    power gone straight to the head

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Ferdinand has epitomised all that is wrong in the game today.
    Where greed and money coupled with bad advice and huge egos rule.

Will Utd fans ever look on him in the same light?

He's about as popular now as Robbie Savage.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    He wouldn't be the first player to drag his feet over a contract yet there's been a real witch hunt after him. I suppose given the fact Man U stuck so sternly by him during his drug test contraversy and that he's already on a rather large heap of cash gave people little sympathy for him. However it is also interesting to see in this day and age of player power how Man U nipped this contract situation in the bud well in time by good manipulation of the media and the fans putting more than enough pressure on Ferdinand.