Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2023

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts

Attendances 2023

Might as well start a thread for the new season!

Less than 600 tickets left for Pats/Derry next Friday night….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Might as well start a thread for the new season!

Less than 600 tickets left for Pats/Derry next Friday night….
    What's the capacity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    What's the capacity?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I feel like we just chance selling as many tickets as possible for the Camac sometimes, feels like the sell outs always have varying numbers.

One of them last season was something like 5,106 so I'm guessing around that range anyway depending on the number of away fans.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I feel like we just chance selling as many tickets as possible for the Camac sometimes, feels like the sell outs always have varying numbers.

One of them last season was something like 5,106 so I'm guessing around that range anyway depending on the number of away fans.
    It still baffles me how a small, compact stadium like Richmond Park with only 2 (?) points of entry for spectators can fit over 5,000 in - whilst places like the Brandywell and Oriel manage way fewer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    It still baffles me how a small, compact stadium like Richmond Park with only 2 (?) points of entry for spectators can fit over 5,000 in - whilst places like the Brandywell and Oriel manage way fewer.
    Oriel has 3300 seats, that's capacity for European games
    Easily get over 5k in without even needing a temporary stand like we had in 2014 for ea cup final and Cork league game

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Oriel has 3300 seats, that's capacity for European games
    Easily get over 5k in without even needing a temporary stand like we had in 2014 for ea cup final and Cork league game
    no issue tho as will average 2.5k or so. Mad you haven’t had the bounce seen elsewhere in the league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Dundalk were only getting 3k to 3.5k under Kenny peak era on avg, of course some games were 4k + and the very odd 5k, (last game v Cork City was over 5k in 2014 to win the league) but sometimes during that period crowds dipped well below 3k. Modest size town, a lot of other sports, same as most I suppose.

Last season getting close to 3k avg was a near miracle in my view, never mind 'the bounce seen elsewhere' given the car crash of p6 in 2020 and 2021, it meant fans stuck with them.

However what is clear is this, even if we get close to 3k avg, we will be well down the pecking order in biggest crowds, just the way it goes, our crowds have maintained, and have been almost same for a near decade, a lot of other clubs have moved from quite small averages and in some cases well under 2k to very impressive figures now of over 4k.

Overall the league is showing massive increase, almost all showing huge increases and super to see, ours have mainly stagnated. The poor facility on offer has to be a reason, nothing to attract the floating fan on a wet night, yet still a good base there.

Another thing to note, LOI has overtaken the Irish League by a massive leap, overall we must be pulling in 1500 more per avg v NI league?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk were only getting 3k to 3.5k under Kenny peak era on avg, of course some games were 4k + and the very odd 5k, (last game v Cork City was over 5k in 2014 to win the league) but sometimes during that period crowds dipped well below 3k. Modest size town, a lot of other sports, same as most I suppose.

Last season getting close to 3k avg was a near miracle in my view, never mind 'the bounce seen elsewhere' given the car crash of p6 in 2020 and 2021, it meant fans stuck with them.

However what is clear is this, even if we get close to 3k avg, we will be well down the pecking order in biggest crowds, just the way it goes, our crowds have maintained, and have been almost same for a near decade, a lot of other clubs have moved from quite small averages and in some cases well under 2k to very impressive figures now of over 4k.

Overall the league is showing massive increase, almost all showing huge increases and super to see, ours have mainly stagnated. The poor facility on offer has to be a reason, nothing to attract the floating fan on a wet night, yet still a good base there.

Another thing to note, LOI has overtaken the Irish League by a massive leap, overall we must be pulling in 1500 more per avg v NI league?
    Tired old argument but Dundalk's attendances will never push on in Oriel, a wet night and you have to be really dedicated to go out there.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    100%, if I was a floating fan, or a parent with a kid really into it, a wet night, I can see full well why most in that case would probably not go.

Thankfully for the club in my case and not so (at times) for my 10 yo, they don't have that worry, amazing what the promise of a hotdog on the way home can do to make the call, will I or will I not go !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    An average of close to 3k in Dundalk, with the facilities on offer is massively impressive.before the total domination of shams, despite the good groundwork of the club and the best facility in the country you’d be lucky outside of a derby with bohs/pats to see 2k on any given friday. Now with a bit of success it’s 4k and you’d like to think at least a third will stick around when the inevitable Bohemian domination comes around in the next two seasons .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post

The LOI overtook the IL on average attendances quite some time ago. They've seen an uplift in crowds as well, but not as big as our's in either percentage or real terms - so the gap continues to grow.

The IL's best-supported club (Linfield) is currently averaging 2,850 at games, despite their excellent stadium and years of success/dominance. That would place them 7th in terms of average crowds island-wide, and wouldn't even make them NI's best-supported team
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 12/02/2023 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Don't know if the President's cup game counts here. Shamrock were allocated 670 tickets but sold less than a hundred over a week ago. Derry city sold out their home tickets in 9 minutes but as rovers returned most of theirs paper tickets were sold locally in the normal outlets. Shamrock rovers then got an extra 20 tickets which were not sold.

So with the additional terrace tickets now for the Brandywell, the est attendance for the game is 3,800.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    The LOI overtook the IL on average attendances quite some time ago. They've seen an uplift in crowds as well, but not as big as our's in either percentage or real terms - so the gap continues to grow.

The IL's best-supported club (Linfield) is currently averaging 2,850 at games, despite their excellent stadium and years of success/dominance. That would place them 7th in terms of average crowds island-wide, and wouldn't even make them NI's best-supported team
    Funny you mention that, as it was 2 questions on a zoom quiz I hosted during lockdown, biggest supported football club in NI ? (Derry City), biggest sport in NI with all factors added, support, commerical, participation etc, (GAA football)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

Apparently Glentoran are drawing bigger average crowds than Linfield at the moment. Which would make the Glens the 6th-best supported team on the island, with Linfield 8th-best., Which for a club of their history, success and facilities is pretty appalling really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Coleraine are only just behind Linfield in the averages this year too.

Latest from IL Premier:

Glentoran: 3,099
    Linfield: 2,852
    Coleraine: 2,687
    Cliftonville: 1,818
    Larne: 1,774
    Crusaders: 1,640
    Ballymena: 1,327
    Portadown: 1,025
    Glenavon: 934
    Newry: 845
    Dungannon: 663
    Carrick: 663
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Important to note that the LONGEST away trip in the Irish League (between Coleraine and Newry) is 95 miles and 1hr 40mins by car. With all but 3 of the 12 top tier clubs located within 30miles of each other. It's basically a glorified Belfast & District League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Important to note that the LONGEST away trip in the Irish League (between Coleraine and Newry) is 95 miles and 1hr 40mins by car. With all but 3 of the 12 top tier clubs located within 30miles of each other. It's basically a glorified Belfast & District League.
    whats ours so?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    when the inevitable Bohemian domination comes around in the next two seasons .
    ???.
    I usually wake up Monday morning with a grumpy attitude, but you've given me a great laugh there dermo. Good man!
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Coleraine are only just behind Linfield in the averages this year too.

Latest from IL Premier:

Glentoran: 3,099
    Linfield: 2,852
    Coleraine: 2,687
    Cliftonville: 1,818
    Larne: 1,774
    Crusaders: 1,640
    Ballymena: 1,327
    Portadown: 1,025
    Glenavon: 934
    Newry: 845
    Dungannon: 663
    Carrick: 663
    I've been to a few Newry games, that figure seems very high to me, unless they got a run of big away supporters visiting, very little interest locally on most I speak to there.

Good point by EYG on the travel distance, longest one in NI being 95 miles. That's only 9 miles less than Derry's second 'shortest' trip to Sligo !!

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast