Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2023

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I've been to a few Newry games, that figure seems very high to me, unless they got a run of big away supporters visiting, very little interest locally on most I speak to there.

Good point by EYG on the travel distance, longest one in NI being 95 miles. That's only 9 miles less than Derry's second 'shortest' trip to Sligo !!
    It's almost exactly 100 miles between Finn Park and Bishopsgate in Longford, Harps closest trip this season coming.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Coleraine are only just behind Linfield in the averages this year too.

Latest from IL Premier:

Glentoran: 3,099
    Linfield: 2,852
    Coleraine: 2,687
    Cliftonville: 1,818
    Larne: 1,774
    Crusaders: 1,640
    Ballymena: 1,327
    Portadown: 1,025
    Glenavon: 934
    Newry: 845
    Dungannon: 663
    Carrick: 663
    What's driving Glentoran to have higher attendances than Linfield?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    They hosted the St Stephen's Day game against Linfield this year - that could skew it?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forza rovers View Post
    whats ours so?
    Well it's got Cork, Derry, Sligo, Dundalk and Drogheda, so all four provinces are involved. Choose your preferred nomenclature for it, but a Dublin District League it clearly isn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Apparently Glentoran are drawing bigger average crowds than Linfield at the moment. Which would make the Glens the 6th-best supported team on the island, with Linfield 8th-best., Which for a club of their history, success and facilities is pretty appalling really.
    Re Linfield, although they're up to 3rd in the Prem now, they had a poor first 3 or 4 months of the season in the league and also had a lot of Cup games, including Europe and the Scottish Challenge Cup.

So my guess is it's a combination of their fans picking and choosing their games, plus typical bloody entitlement. We'll know more if they keep winning games and the crowds increase accordingly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Re Linfield, although they're up to 3rd in the Prem now, they had a poor first 3 or 4 months of the season in the league and also had a lot of Cup games, including Europe and the Scottish Challenge Cup.

So my guess is it's a combination of their fans picking and choosing their games, plus typical bloody entitlement. We'll know more if they keep winning games and the crowds increase accordingly.
    Linfield's average attendance last season was 2,914 though, versus 2,852 so far this year. So not a huge difference. And they won the league last year, so you'd have expected a poor run of results this year etc etc to have seen crowds fall a bit more really.

How big were the crowds at their European matches ?
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 13/02/2023 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I've been to a few Newry games, that figure [845] seems very high to me, unless they got a run of big away supporters visiting, very little interest locally on most I speak to there.
    Boosted by their opening game of the season, at home to Linfield on a Sunday, where they won 1-0 before a crowd of 2,029. (Linfield don't take a huge away support btw - Glens and Coleraine bigger this season).

More generally, I'd guess Newry may have benefited from a "promotion bounce" during the milder early season weather, while results haven't been too bad for a newly promoted team? However on the basis that they'll be in the bottom half after the Split, they'll do well to maintain reasonable crowds through to the end of the season.

All that said, imo crowds haven't been that bad overall, considering what the club has been through in recent years - something to build on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Linfield's average attendance last season was 2,914 though, versus 2,852 so far this year. So not a huge difference. And they won the league last year, so you'd have expected a poor run of results this year etc etc to have seen crowds fall a bit more really.
    Maybe, but this season overall IL crowds are up by 9.9% from last season. While the other top teams have seen the following figures: Cliftonville +8.1%, Coleraine +22.2%, Crues +6.8%, Glens 22.9% and Larne -4.0%, so even a 2.2% drop for LFC is pretty poor (imo).

Either way, you should expect them to draw more than Glentoran and Coleraine (esp), whatever the circumstances. Maybe they'll recover as the season progresses?

How big were the crowds at their European matches ?
    Dunno.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Boosted by their opening game of the season, at home to Linfield on a Sunday, where they won 1-0 before a crowd of 2,029. (Linfield don't take a huge away support btw - Glens and Coleraine bigger this season).
    Linfield won that game 3-1, and had a decent travelling support (was at the match myself). From memory I'd say they had 500 or so there, across two sides of the ground ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Maybe, but this season overall IL crowds are up by 9.9% from last season. While the other top teams have seen the following figures: Cliftonville +8.1%, Coleraine +22.2%, Crues +6.8%, Glens 22.9% and Larne -4.0%, so even a 2.2% drop for LFC is pretty poor (imo).

Either way, you should expect them to draw more than Glentoran and Coleraine (esp), whatever the circumstances. Maybe they'll recover as the season progresses?
    Either way you'd expect the most successful team on the island playing in the second-largest city on the island in the best club stadium on the island with essentially limitless capacity to do a lot better than the kind of crowds Linfield have been getting - either this year or last. They literally have everything gong for them, and now even have Kyle Lafferty to act as a further draw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Linfield won that game 3-1
    You're quite right - dunno where I got 1-0 from

... and had a decent travelling support (was at the match myself). From memory I'd say they had 500 or so there, across two sides of the ground ?
    Is 500 really that "decent"? Glens and Coleraine have both been taking more away than that to games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Either way you'd expect the most successful team on the island playing in the second-largest city on the island in the best club stadium on the island with essentially limitless capacity to do a lot better than the kind of crowds Linfield have been getting - either this year or last. They literally have everything gong for them, and now even have Kyle Lafferty to act as a further draw.
    I thought that that was what I was saying - i.e. that their crowds this season have been poor.

Btw, some of their fans "blame" the IFA/Windsor for poor crowds - something about 3k rattling around in an 18k stadium making it hard to create an atmosphere etc.

Not quite so quick to blame the IFA for all the huge sums they've received from them down the decades, mind.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Brilliant stuff,hopefully a good opening night for Kerry!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Fair play to Kerry, especially given the pricing. Let's hope it turns out to be a great evening for all concerned, and the crowds come back again,

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    If Institute were in the NIFL surely that would be the longest trip?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Fair play to Kerry, especially given the pricing. Let's hope it turns out to be a great evening for all concerned, and the crowds come back again,
    If everyone thought Kerry were highly priced and now they are sold out, does this mean other clubs are underselling their product??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Institute to Warrenpoint in the Championship is the longest trip in the NIFL league system as far as I can tell, even then it's shorter than Harps to Longford this season
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    They're in the Championship (2nd tier) but mid-table, so not going to get promoted this season (or relegated).

The promotion race is currently between 3 provincial sides, Loughgall, Annagh Utd (both Co.Armagh) and Warrenpoint Tn, top going up automatically and second into a P&R play-off with the 11th team in the Prem:
    https://www.nifootballleague.com/cha...023/standings/

With Portadown seemingly certain to get relegated automatically, the relegation play-off spot is looking like Dungannon or Newry, but could conceivably be Glenavon or Carrick should either suffer a slump to the end of the season:
    https://www.nifootballleague.com/pre...023/standings/

Whatever happens, it won't help attendances for next season, but nor should it do too much harm either, I suspect.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 13/02/2023 at 9:43 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    If everyone thought Kerry were highly priced and now they are sold out, does this mean other clubs are underselling their product??
    It's easy to sell out your first ever senior match - particularly in a fairly small stadium. It' basically an historical event on Friday, with quite a lot of local media attention behind it too.

Let's see if they're still selling games out when they host Wexford in October before jumping to conclusions.

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast