Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycott Shell - Free the Five !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Question Boycott Shell - Free the Five !!!

Anyone boycotting Shell over the whole episode ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No. They can walk out of jail any time they want. They're in there for the publicity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet
    No. They can walk out of jail any time they want. They're in there for the publicity.
    Publicity me arse. They're in it cos they're standing up for what they believe is right
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I don't use Shell anyway over their exploitation of Nigeria.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet
    They have to apologise to the court to be released from Jail

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    They broke the law,they got punished even if they were protecting their families,if it was some rich guy,most people would say f*ck'em

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I'm with Dahamsta, haven't been to a Shell garage in years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Anyone want ot let them know what you think .... irish-corporate@shell.com
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Publicity me arse. They're in it cos they're standing up for what they believe is right

hitler also tought he was right .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I still buy petrol in Shell when i have to.

Those 5 men are in jail due to contempt of court. If the court lets them free without agreeing not to damage property again then system would collapse.

I don't know enough about the issue to take sides. saw a bit on Prime Time & wasn't conclusive. Why didn't the locals complain when project up for PLanning Permission?

I think the government is just playing politics with though. Was nuts to tell Shell to "unweld" the pipeline. What difference does it make it sitting on the ground unwelded or welded together.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=pete]

I don't know enough about the issue to take sides. saw a bit on Prime Time & wasn't conclusive. Why didn't the locals complain when project up for PLanning Permission?

QUOTE]

because that would be the right thing to do and these are backwards boggers holding the country back . how many jobs were lost due to these 5 idiots , i stand to be corrected but i remember the contruction company saying something like a few hundred had been stood down .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    There's government double standards though.
    When the IFA were blockading the meat factories there was a high court injunction against them. John O'Donoghue (Justice minister at the time) stood back and did nothing.
    When Joe Higgins and Claire Daly were leading the bin protests, O'Donoghue was loud in saying that the rule of law had to be applied.
    These were two exactly similar situations in terms of the legal process. Difference is the farmers vote is more important for FF than the bin protesters who are mostly SF/Labour/Workers Party anyway.

I'm not sure if the case of the Rossport 5 is the same in terms of the legal process, it's certainly similar.

Dempsey isn't the brightest button at the cabinet table. Probably knows nothing about Shell in Nigeria. It's far cheaper for Shell to have the processing onshore, so presumably there's more money in it for the government that way, hence the original decision. I'm not an engineer, but a lot of the safety fears seem to be overblown though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc
    Dempsey isn't the brightest button at the cabinet table.
    Understatement of the month. Himself and Martin Cullen are rumoured to be the stars of the next Dumb and Dumber movie.

adam

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Shell are scum-almost as bad as Total! Executions in Nigeria and now imprisonments in Ireland.

Made this feel free to use it on any website etc.

Also wrote an essay on both Shell and Total for my blog-mabye a bit long to post on here-about 500 words so might put it up later. I make sure no car I am in ever fills up at Totaliterian or Hell petrol stations.
    The Rossport 5 are brave men standing up for their rights (and the song is class!)

Boycott Total and Shell!
    Free Burma and Free the Rossport 5!
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't see any difference in the oil companies. Surely other companies are in Nigeria & Burma?

I also don't see any difference between untreated gas pipeline & standard Bord Gais version. Ain't going to fun for anyone if either leaks. I would think very inlikely a welded steel pipe would leak.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=liam88]
    The Rossport 5 are brave men standing up for their rights (and the song is class!)
    QUOTE]

come off it , they had plenty of time to stand up for there right when this was in planning , they are moron s they deserve to be in jail , just like those free loading bin taxer's

thecorner
    just read this there
    it would be an interesting exercise for a journalist to find out what five criminals got early release to accommodate the five Mayomen. One inmate that they won't get to meet (because he got out a month ago) is good old Ray Burke. And what does he have to do with it? T'was the bold Ray that signed the deal with the oil company on the first place…

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Surely other companies are in Nigeria & Burma?
    Let's start with Shell in Nigeria. Firstly it was not the point that Shell were in Nigeria in the first place. If Shell had paid fair prices for the oil, fair wages to the Nigerian workers and made sur ethe money was being used constructivly (as they had both the pwoer and the responsibility to) then there would have been no problems. The fact is Shell exploited both the country and it's people. The mistreatment of workers on the pipline was met with criticism from Nigerian human rights groups-of which the two leaders were subsequently hanged by the corrupt government (funded by Shell) in an unfair trial (as agreed by the UN) which Shell had a very heavy hand in by both fabricating evidence and lining the pockets of officials to ensure human rights did not get in the way of making money.

Total in Burma bears similarities and criticism rest on 3 main points. Firstly are the on-the-ground 'direct' issues; Total use slave labour, child laboru and political prisoners int he construction of their pipline (so far 6 court cases have been taken out against them-unfortunatley none of which are likely to suceed). Total also employ the Burmese army (which has both the highest human rights abuses and highest number of child soldiers) to guard the pipeline-in the surrounding area they have been responsible for lootings, beatings and gang rapes of girls as young as 14.
    Secondly is the economic issue. Total gives $140 million dollars a year to a regime which spends 50% of it's income on militarey (currently invovled in a genocide against the Karen people-including the use of chemical weapons) and just 2% on health (while children die of malnourishment which is as high as 80% in some areas).
    Finally in the huge political influence Total has on the EU. While the USA and Norway have both opted for unilateral sanctions in an attempt to cripple the Burmese regime the EU has not declared such sanctions. This is for the simple reason that a unanimous vote is required to impose sanctions and while nearly every country in the EU votes in favour of sanctions only France votes against for the soul reason of the billions of dollars that they recieve each year from Total and would loose should they vote for sanctions. France has seen every vote discarded despite every other EU country being in favour of sanctions, which they are to afraid to impose by themselves.
    Last edited by liam88; 08/08/2005 at 8:03 PM.
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We can probably agree Liam that none of that is likely to happen in Mayo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88
    France has seen every vote discarded despite every other EU country being in favour of sanctions, which-with the exception of Norway, they are to afraid to impose by themselves.
    Norway isn't a member of the EU.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast