Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 223

Thread: 2025 UEFA European Under-21 Championship

  1. #201
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    14,054
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,854
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Finished 2-3 to our boys. Emakhu got the third.

  2. #202
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,936
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    933
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Finished 2-3 to our boys. Emakhu got the third.
    i thought the penalty against Healy was harsh. So probably anything other than a win, would have been harsh. Moments where we dominated possession well towards the end of the first half. Lawal's pass for the third goal was excellent, shows what he can bring to that position. Plenty of good midfielders in that squad with Hodge, Adeeko, Healy and Phillips having all played really well in the group so far. Still, great to see him finally get minutes in that position. Equally, plenty of decent centre-halves available: Anselmo, Grehan, O'Riordan, Abankwah, Murphy and Roughan can all play there at the very least. Good option for a manager to have...

    Also, Sinclair and Aido adding to their tallies at 21s is nice to see...

  3. #203
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    22,413
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,105
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,054
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Goals added to the the FAI's YouTube

    Penalty does look harsh from that angle

  4. #204
    First Team
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    2,171
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    580
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    i thought the penalty against Healy was harsh. So probably anything other than a win, would have been harsh. Moments where we dominated possession well towards the end of the first half. Lawal's pass for the third goal was excellent, shows what he can bring to that position. Plenty of good midfielders in that squad with Hodge, Adeeko, Healy and Phillips having all played really well in the group so far. Still, great to see him finally get minutes in that position. Equally, plenty of decent centre-halves available: Anselmo, Grehan, O'Riordan, Abankwah, Murphy and Roughan can all play there at the very least. Good option for a manager to have...

    Also, Sinclair and Aido adding to their tallies at 21s is nice to see...
    Really hope Sinclair and Aido can bring their U21 form into senior level because the lads are developing a good partnership. Those two in a front two can cause defences problems like we saw against Norway especially.

    Think once it comes back to the qualifiers we'll see Lawal dropping back to CB for someone like Adeeko. It's a pity we never seem to get athletic FBs coming through and it's something maybe the FAI need to look at.

  5. #205
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,936
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    933
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    It is weird on one hand that we were basically the best at producing fullbacks, if I remember correctly, Kelly, Carr and Finnan were all in the premier league team of the year, 3 years in a row. Then you also had Dennis Irwin and Jeff Kenna, both premier league winners and Ian Harte, champions league semi finalist and free kick extraordinaire. And as recently as around 2020 (when Matt Doherty signed for Spurs), you’d have said our two best players were both right backs…

    Nowadays, England seem to produce a great full back every few months, all of Reece James, Trent Alexander Arnold, Kieran Trippier and Kyle Walker are natural right backs and essentially vying for 1 place. Lamptey decided to play for Ghana cause he knew he had no chance and since the class of 1992, we basically haven’t produced a premier league calibre full back… despite producing everything else. Keepers, centre halves, centre midfielders, wingers and strikers…

  6. #206
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    22,413
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,105
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,054
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Seamus Coleman?

  7. #207
    International Prospect
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,146
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    833
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,598
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Seamus Coleman?
    I assume that is the other of our two best players in 2020 next to Doherty unless ES is a big Cyrus Christie fan...

  8. #208
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    133
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,125
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    There is a reason for that I think. Full backs are different today from the hard working lads we used to produce who could get up and down the side of the pitch and get crosses in, but sometimes weren't the most gifted technically. Today's full backs are basically carrying a lot of the same skills as today's central midfielders, but maybe a bit faster too. But they're extremely comfortable on the ball and are trained to play through the thirds, which our lads can't really do.

    What we're seeing is that countries that have strong academy structures and facilities in place are producing loads of technically strong centre mids and full backs. But they're often light on keepers, centre backs and centre forwards because the academies focus so much on the technical skills that develop midfielders and full backs. A prime example of this would be Scotland, who are overloaded with midfielders and full backs but severely lacking in other areas.

    Then there's Ireland, who are very good at producing big, strong athletes but not so much when it comes to technical footballers. In that context maybe not a huge surprise that we're well stocked with keepers, centre backs and centre forwards, but seriously lacking in the technical players needed to link it all together. The contrast between Ireland and Scotland isn't a coincidence, it's a result of the different structures in place in the two countries (and also the reality that the average Irish man is about three inches taller than the average Scot!). Our structures, or lack of them, are the reason we're not producing full backs that suit the modern game.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

  9. #209
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    22,413
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,105
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,054
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Interview with Andrew Moran ahead of the fixture against England's U20s tomorrow
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...746938993.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

  10. #210
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    877
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    126
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

    ,

    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    There is a reason for that I think. Full backs are different today from the hard working lads we used to produce who could get up and down the side of the pitch and get crosses in, but sometimes weren't the most gifted technically. Today's full backs are basically carrying a lot of the same skills as today's central midfielders, but maybe a bit faster too. But they're extremely comfortable on the ball and are trained to play through the thirds, which our lads can't really do.

    What we're seeing is that countries that have strong academy structures and facilities in place are producing loads of technically strong centre mids and full backs. But they're often light on keepers, centre backs and centre forwards because the academies focus so much on the technical skills that develop midfielders and full backs. A prime example of this would be Scotland, who are overloaded with midfielders and full backs but severely lacking in other areas.

    Then there's Ireland, who are very good at producing big, strong athletes but not so much when it comes to technical footballers. In that context maybe not a huge surprise that we're well stocked with keepers, centre backs and centre forwards, but seriously lacking in the technical players needed to link it all together. The contrast between Ireland and Scotland isn't a coincidence, it's a result of the different structures in place in the two countries (and also the reality that the average Irish man is about three inches taller than the average Scot!). Our structures, or lack of them, are the reason we're not producing full backs that suit the modern game.

    I think you are starting to fall into the same narrative setting/overthinking category a lot of Irish pundits have fallen into. I think the points you are using as a justification for your argument as to why Ireland dont produce midfielders/FB's while in some area's has some valid points is for the post part quite lazy and isnt backed up by much real evidence (the "evidence" you've given is circumstantial at best). If you watch any of Ireland's underage sides over the years I don't know how you can look at them and come to the conclusion they are struggling because of a lack of technical ability, even more so when you use Scotland as an example when Ireland consistently get the better of Scotland at pretty much every underage level they play eachother (not just because of the results but because of Ireland just being a better all round side, particularly at the last 2 victory shield tournaments). Even when you look at our CBs/GKs/CFs that are coming through while it's continuing a trend of Ireland producing mostly players in these positions I think the players we speak of sort of damage the argument of it being due to favour size over technique as the likes of Collins, Omobamidele, Ferguson and even in goal with the likes of Kelleher & Bazunu while all big players are all very good on the ball and I'd consider them much better technically than their Scottish equivalents for example. I think the reason we have struggled to produce FB's since the 1992 born group is the same reason we struggled to develop players in most positions, we had a black hole when it comes to player development of players born between 1993-1997 and while we've recovered in most positions we've struggled in others but I suspect the FB situation at least will change when you consider the likes of Ebosele, Curtis and Murphy look to have potential to make it at a high level going forward.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #211
    International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    5,319
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,353
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,357
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    There is a reason for that I think. Full backs are different today from the hard working lads we used to produce who could get up and down the side of the pitch and get crosses in, but sometimes weren't the most gifted technically. Today's full backs are basically carrying a lot of the same skills as today's central midfielders, but maybe a bit faster too. But they're extremely comfortable on the ball and are trained to play through the thirds, which our lads can't really do.
    Denis Irwin was far from a fit hardworking lad who could get up and down the pitch. Equally good right or left side, never lost the ball passing, had a brilliant free kick in his locker. He'd walk into any team even today... and he must be nearly 60!!

    Steven Finnan was another who had a bit more to his game than just getting down the wing.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

  13. #212
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    138
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Denis Irwin was far from a fit hardworking lad who could get up and down the pitch. Equally good right or left side, never lost the ball passing, had a brilliant free kick in his locker. He'd walk into any team even today... and he must be nearly 60!!

    Steven Finnan was another who had a bit more to his game than just getting down the wing.
    Tony Dunne was an exceptional full-back

    Johnny Giles talking about Tony Dunne


  14. #213
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    138
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

  15. #214
    First Team
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    2,171
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    580
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Crawford changing things for this game.

    ..................Cahill
    O'Brien Lawal Murphy Roughan
    ...........Hodge Adeeko
    ...Springett Vata O'Neill
    ..............O'Mahony

  16. #215
    Reserves pateen's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    782
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    73
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    What time is the game on?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

  17. #216
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,936
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    933
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    1-0 to us, Joe Hodge scored... Any sign of a stream?

  18. #217
    International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    5,319
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,353
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,357
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    1-0 to us, Joe Hodge scored... Any sign of a stream?
    Havent been able to find one. Wouldnt have taken much for FAI TV to stream it on youtube would it? Unless they blew all their budget on the big Marc Canham interview back in April!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

  19. #218
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    14,054
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,854
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    2-1 to England.

  20. #219
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    14,054
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,854
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    2-2..

  21. #220
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,936
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    933
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Worth noting, even though it was an u20s team vs an u21s team. In reality, both team were virtually the same age. Rounding each player to the nearest month, you get Ireland's average age being 20.636 and England's 20.629. If you just use the player's age by year (less accurate), Ireland end up with the younger squad...

  22. Thanks From:


Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship
    By tetsujin1979 in forum Archived Match Threads
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 21/10/2022, 10:11 AM
  2. 2022 UEFA European Under-19 Championship
    By elatedscum in forum Archived Match Threads
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 26/09/2022, 4:33 PM
  3. 2020 UEFA European Under-17 Championship
    By tommy_c12000 in forum Archived Match Threads
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 30/09/2021, 9:31 AM
  4. 2018 UEFA European Under-19 Championship
    By liamoo11 in forum Archived Match Threads
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 08/10/2018, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •