CB - Collins
LB - Harte

RM - McAteer
CM - Roy Keane
CM - Cullen
LM - Duff

CF - Robbie Keane
CF - Morrison

Subs: Bazunu, Kiely; Doherty, D. O'Shea, Egan, G. Kelly; Kilbane, S. Reid, Holland, Kinsella; Quinn, Obafemi.

If we were playing the World Cup final tomorrow, that's what I'd pick. You'd have to go with top-flight experience, lads who played against internationals week-in, week-out, and had been part of a successful qualifying campaign, and done it against the likes of Portugal and Holland.

Cunningham was very hard-done-by to lose out to Staunton in that WC, imo, and would be a good foil for Collins. Finnan is nailed on. Harte for his set pieces and the paucity of better defensive options. Cullen just about gets in over Holland, though I'd be tempted to try Steven Reid beside Keane for the box-to-box athleticism and power he had back then, and the freedom Keane would allow him to get forward and unleash his cannon of a right foot. McAteer gets in on his form/goals in qualifying. Morrison over all of our current strikers, he'd scored over 60 career goals in the First Division before that World Cup, aged 23; Quinn didn't have 90 minutes in him, and Duff was much better on the left.

So, a 9-2 split in the starting lineup, and 16-7 in favour of 2002, with some recency bias. I think that just about reflects where we are now. 2002 wasn't a limited squad that fluked its way to the last sixteen. It was a very talented, experienced, tough, well-balanced group, well into its development, with several elite-level players, and others with elite club-level and prior WC experience.
Spot on for me. There's a big gap in achievement, ability, experience and balance between the two sides. The 2002 squad had good players in all the key positions and some of our best ever players were there to prop up some of the more workmanlike or average players. The current side is good at the back but weak in nets, midfield and upfront....not ideal. A few green shoots showing these days though so I have hope. Some of the lads coming through have the potential to be as good or even better than Given, Duff, Robbie Keane etc. Not sure anyone will get to Roy's level. Maybe Collins or Ferguson?

I'd go with the same team you have Supreme Feet but I'd be starting Holland ahead of Cullen. Holland had a far better career at that point and could still have been in the EPL had he not rejected Villa to stay with Ipswich when they went down. He scored goals too. IF we are talking the World Cup finals team, without Roy, then Cullen probably starts alongside Holland instead of Kinsella. Hard to pick the CBs as it depends on the style of football and formation but Collins is absolutely in there either way. I'd also bring Ferguson instead of Obafemi for the wildcard youngster off the bench that you love to have.

If we were playing the same formation as we are now I'd love to have Steven Reid involved, possibly from wingback...although it would have to be on the left as Finnan is nailed on there as you say.