Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season Tickets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Humility is not in our DNA, never has been!

The point is that Bohs have let Dalymount fall down around them while Dundalk saw millions go through the club's books with nothing to show for it. Both clubs justifiably see themselves as big in the context of the LOI but both away ends are an absolute disgrace with no proper facilities. The home ends are not much better,

A PS points out not even doing the basics and then putting on the poor mouth doesn't cut it. Until we face up to the fact that some of our grounds simply aren't fit for purpose we won't/can't attract new fans. At least to those grounds.

I can't bring my 10-year-old son to Dalymount for instance, he's been to Richmond and Tolka but to be honest hearing the news out of Dalymount today I'd be wary of bringing him to any Dublin ground other than Tallaght and the Bowl.
    What news?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    They found asbestos on the Connacht St side so work has stopped on the new away end with a knock on for ST holders in the Des Kelly - as that kip will still be the away end for at least the start of the season.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    You're not playing in Dalymount till April. The stand should be ready by then. Not your fault but I'm sick hearing Rovers fans have access to information that only members and season ticket holders should be able to see. For some reason though a portion of fanbase can't help themselves though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

The point is that Bohs have let Dalymount fall down around them while Dundalk saw millions go through the club's books with nothing to show for it. Both clubs justifiably see themselves as big in the context of the LOI but both away ends are an absolute disgrace with no proper facilities. The home ends are not much better,

A PS points out not even doing the basics and then putting on the poor mouth doesn't cut it. Until we face up to the fact that some of our grounds simply aren't fit for purpose we won't/can't attract new fans. At least to those grounds.

I can't bring my 10-year-old son to Dalymount for instance, he's been to Richmond and Tolka but to be honest hearing the news out of Dalymount today I'd be wary of bringing him to any Dublin ground other than Tallaght and the Bowl.
    Rovers fans accusing others of “putting on the poor mouth”?
    Get the **** up the yard. Bohs pumped as much money as we could afford into dalymount over the years, at the expense of the team, most of our good young players in the eighties leaving for more money at guess where? Yep the team overspending and going homeless.
    The only time the team got prioritised was when we thought wrongly we were moving and flush. Big mistake there.
    BUT we never stuck our creditors by going bust with no assets and broke several small businesses by offering 4% settlement .
    Or got relegated despite spending grant money on players . What a shower to be handing out advice and criticism. **** off.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

If he was around 20 years ago you could have brought him to every ground in Dublin to watch Rovers home matches

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Does anyone else have an opinion on the changes needed to make LOI grounds more amenable for possible increased attendences, other than bitter bozos whos club currently occupies the LOI version of the Chinese 5 spice-at-the-back-of-the-cupboard role, ie. largely ignored?
    Its a discussion to improve facilities for all, to push the game on a bit here in this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    Given all the years Rovers were homeless , you'd think now that you're top of the pile you might show a little bit of humility and understanding towards other LOI clubs situations and the difficulty in getting stadiums developed without significant Govt. / Council
    investment ......but i guess not.
    Having had to endure years of been slagged off by fans of other clubs ( Xmas trees in Milltown chants etc.) I don’t have any sympathy for fans of other clubs on account of many of them ( a few notable exceptions like Finn Harps) that relished in their usual small minded manner us being homeless….

I would however for the overall good of the league love to see every club with their own version of Tallaght …… as for humility no , as we don’t have any reason to act that way , appreciation of what we got from SDCC yes and proud of how we’ve built a successful community based club on the back of it.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    Rovers fans accusing others of “putting on the poor mouth”?
    Get the **** up the yard. Bohs pumped as much money as we could afford into dalymount over the years, at the expense of the team, most of our good young players in the eighties leaving for more money at guess where? Yep the team overspending and going homeless.
    The only time the team got prioritised was when we thought wrongly we were moving and flush. Big mistake there.
    BUT we never stuck our creditors by going bust with no assets and broke several small businesses by offering 4% settlement .
    Or got relegated despite spending grant money on players . What a shower to be handing out advice and criticism. **** off.
    When does the work start?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Your son has as much chance of getting silicosis at tallaght as getting asbestosis at Dalymount or any other old ground. If you are that concerned why do you go? It's probably best you both stay at home and be the best footballers in the world on your X Box.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    Not your fault but I'm sick hearing Rovers fans have access to information that only members and season ticket holders should be able to see. For some reason though a portion of fanbase can't help themselves though.
    What like the one that posted the news on the club website?

https://bohemianfc.com/?p=18825
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    What like the one that posted the news on the club website?

https://bohemianfc.com/?p=18825
    Fair enough, they didn’t exactly make it obvious they posted it on the website though on their other social media pages so you can excuse me for not checking a site regularly that's pretty irrelevant when all the updates get sent to fans directly.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    So the club didn't update its members about the asbestos through the usual channels?

Weird

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So the club didn't update its members about the asbestos through the usual channels?

Weird
    An email was sent out to members and season ticket holders. I wasn't aware that it was posted to the website too.

16. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Fairy nuff; took you up wrong

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Fact is, clubs need to own their own grounds and have the financial competence to manage them for the long term, instead of relying on others to keep them in decent accommodation while they splash what money they have on players' wages and transfers etc in the rush for silverware.
    Whilst I agree with the broad jist of what you've written - the above is deeply ironic from a Glentoran fan in the week that your club signs NI international Niall McGinn, whilst it also continues to wait for Stormont to build it a new stadium. How has Glentoran's long-term financial competence and management of The Oval been?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Whilst I agree with the broad jist of what you've written - the above is deeply ironic from a Glentoran fan in the week that your club signs NI international Niall McGinn, whilst it also continues to wait for Stormont to build it a new stadium. How has Glentoran's long-term financial competence and management of The Oval been?
    1.Where have I ever claimed that the Glens have been competently run in recent years? Quite obviously they haven't. However, my point is that had they not owned their own stadium, they almost certainly would have gone bust before now, possibly have ceased even to exist entirely;
    2. The money to sign McGinn is coming from the owner/benefactor. An owner/benefactor who almost certainly wouldn't have bought into the club and cleared its debts etc had the club not also owned its own stadium;
    3. It is a decade since The Fools on the Hill announced that £10m(?) of the £36m Sub-Regional funding allocation would go towards a new UEFA compliant, medium-sized (8K?) rebuild at The Oval, since delayed by their interminable squabbling. Which in turn is why Glentoran are only doing the minimum to keep the turnstiles open and the lights on i.e. why would the owner pour new money into an old facility which is due to be replaced anyhow?

Apart from all that, you cetainly got me there...
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 12/01/2023 at 3:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Meanwhile, Newry City are another example of a club which was badly run still managing to re-emerge because the fans owned the stadium.

While on a more positive note, Coleraine are an example of a club which is currently being very well run and which, since it too owns its own stadium, is in a position to apply for Government "levelling-up" funding for an impressive new development at Ballycastle Road:
    https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/...g-bid-25637911

Meaning that whether well run or badly run, clubs in NI would be in a much more parlous state were they relying on their local Council to gift them a new stadium. Meaning in turn that Shams notwithstanding, unless things are radically different* with Councils in ROI, LOI clubs are in the same boat.

* - I'll leave it to others to judge that one.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    1.Where have I ever claimed that the Glens have been competently run in recent years? Quite obviously they haven't. However, my point is that had they not owned their own stadium, they almost certainly would have gone bust before now, possibly have ceased even to exist entirely;
    2. The money to sign McGinn is coming from the owner/benefactor. An owner/benefactor who almost certainly wouldn't have bought into the club and cleared its debts etc had the club not also owned its own stadium;
    3. It is a decade since The Fools on the Hill announced that £10m(?) of the £36m Sub-Regional funding allocation would go towards a new UEFA compliant, medium-sized (8K?) rebuild at The Oval, since delayed by their interminable squabbling. Which in turn is why Glentoran are only doing the minimum to keep the turnstiles open and the lights on i.e. why would the owner pour new money into an old facility which is due to be replaced anyhow?

Apart from all that, you cetainly got me there...
    It's all still very ironic from a Glentoran fan though As the old saying goes - "if you're explaining, you're losing". (or at the very least, you're defensive).

#GlassHouses

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Meanwhile, Newry City are another example of a club which was badly run still managing to re-emerge because the fans owned the stadium.

While on a more positive note, Coleraine are an example of a club which is currently being very well run and which, since it too owns its own stadium, is in a position to apply for Government "levelling-up" funding for an impressive new development at Ballycastle Road:
    https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/...g-bid-25637911

Meaning that whether well run or badly run, clubs in NI would be in a much more parlous state were they relying on their local Council to gift them a new stadium. Meaning in turn that Shams notwithstanding, unless things are radically different* with Councils in ROI, LOI clubs are in the same boat.

* - I'll leave it to others to judge that one.
    Well Ballymena and Derry are at least 2 clubs in NI with council-owned faciltiies. Are there any others?

Isn't the Coleraine Showgrounds owned by some agricultural body, rather than the club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    It's all still very ironic from a Glentoran fan though
    No, it would only be "ironic" had I been proposing Glentoran as a model-run club, or one which was not dependant upon a benefactor, or had I suggested clubs should be building new stadia entirely from their own resources.

None of which applies, rendering your claim as just another jab at me which has missed its target.

As the old saying goes - "if you're explaining, you're losing".
    Merely "explaining" why your post was gash.

I(or at the very least, you're defensive).
    Poster A has a pop at Poster B's post, Poster B defends it. It's how a discussion forum works.

#GlassHouses
    #Troll

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast