Treaty v Kerry
    Finn Harps v Longford (20:00)

Monday 28th

Treaty v Waterford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Rovers really need to beat Dundalk after letting another match slip away agaisnt Shels.
    Assuming Derry beat UCD with their game in hand we are only 2 points clear and the way we are playing i cant see us staying ahead.

If we do manage to get a win against Dundalk the fact that Derry are plahying bohs means one of them has to drop points.
    Pats are obviously still right in it but Derry have hit form at the right time and were unlucky to lose two penelty shoot outs in a week which while they are no doubt dissapointed probably will mean they go on and win the league.

As ever im praying for a return to form....lets see.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Rovers really need to beat Dundalk after letting another match slip away agaisnt Shels.
    Assuming Derry beat UCD with their game in hand we are only 2 points clear and the way we are playing i cant see us staying ahead.

If we do manage to get a win against Dundalk the fact that Derry are plahying bohs means one of them has to drop points.
    Pats are obviously still right in it but Derry have hit form at the right time and were unlucky to lose two penelty shoot outs in a week which while they are no doubt dissapointed probably will mean they go on and win the league.

Derry have hit form by being eliminated from two competitions on penalties.Games where they played well but lacked a lethal finishing touch you would see from champions. There's a strong smell of bottlers coming from the brandywell and I fear an inevitable injury to Duffy or McEleney or both will completely derail any title push they could have. They're still in it for the moment and have no other "distractions" but neither do Rovers so no real advantage there. It seems to me whoever wins the league will do so in spite of themselves because no one can seem to grab the league by the throat and go on a significant run of positive results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Rovers next three games are Dundalk , Bohs , Derry. if any of Derry , Pats , Bohs or however unlikely it seems at the moment Rovers can win 3 games in a row they willl be top and heading for the title

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Now that the final quarter of the First Division season has begun, Kerry really have to start converting their recent "moral victories" into points on the board - there hasn't been much between ourselves and Treaty apart from the first trip to Markets Field, so a draw should be the target on Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Used to have a great record in Dalymount, can't see us winning unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    It's a big few weeks ahead for us. All of Rovers, Derry, Bohs and Dundalk are playing each other in different combinations while we've UCD, Shels and Drogs. More so nervous that we don't make the most of putting some ground between us and a few teams than I am expectant that we will.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post

I was quite anxious this time last year too even if the final table showed a comfortable win, but there were times (the game with the Gaffney late winner v Shels, going behind early v Pats and even at 3-1 up giving away a penalty...) even in the last few games I felt it was dangerously tight.

Huge 3 games coming up alright. Win, win, draw would be great. I've no idea what to expect. The Tolka game has changed the dynamic hugely imho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    9 rounds remaining in the First Division. Kerry will have to pick up more points than they have so far for a reasonable total. Anything less than 18 points is a poor return despite learning on the job etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    It's a big few weeks ahead for us. All of Rovers, Derry, Bohs and Dundalk are playing each other in different combinations while we've UCD, Shels and Drogs. More so nervous that we don't make the most of putting some ground between us and a few teams than I am expectant that we will.
    Really don’t expect us to win the title, but they are three winnable games coming up, so we could be in a very good position. Having said that, Drogheda beat us last time out, and we’ve squeezed past Shels the last couple of times, so taking nothing for granted.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Really don’t expect us to win the title, but they are three winnable games coming up, so we could be in a very good position. Having said that, Drogheda beat us last time out, and we’ve squeezed past Shels the last couple of times, so taking nothing for granted.
    Never mind the title, I just meant getting into Europe!

(Just wanted to avoid relegation really)

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Yeah, Europe and the cup would do me !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    This could come back to bite me in the ass but I think it is a good time to play Derry. Two tough fixtures in the preceding week that went the distance, both of which they lost. Has to have an impact on you physically and mentally. If they do get a win on Friday though, then Derry will have bounced back nicely. So many big games now down the home straight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Yeah, Europe and the cup would do me !
    Oh for the days that mention of the Cup had St Pats fas have an emotional breakdown lol. Just greedy now lads!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    This could come back to bite me in the ass but I think it is a good time to play Derry. Two tough fixtures in the preceding week that went the distance, both of which they lost. Has to have an impact on you physically and mentally. If they do get a win on Friday though, then Derry will have bounced back nicely. So many big games now down the home straight.
    Hard to know what to make of tomorrow's game.
    I don't think we'll have too much of an issue physically. Mentally, maybe a different story. Bohs are on a decent run, and I think Decky has out-thought Higgins this year.
    To look at the positives, we've conceded one in the last four games. We have a bizarrely great record in Dalymount over recent years, better than anywhere else (Brandywell included). We'll likely have most of the possession, but will we actually be able to create and take chances? Not sure at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Hard to know what to make of tomorrow's game.
    I don't think we'll have too much of an issue physically. Mentally, maybe a different story. Bohs are on a decent run, and I think Decky has out-thought Higgins this year.
    To look at the positives, we've conceded one in the last four games. We have a bizarrely great record in Dalymount over recent years, better than anywhere else (Brandywell included). We'll likely have most of the possession, but will we actually be able to create and take chances? Not sure at all.
    I think McMullan looks to be a very good signing, obviously came with a decent reputation but he gives a lot more balance to the team with him on the right and Duffy on the left.

Goalscoring is the concern if McGonigle could get any sort of confidence back like at the start of last season I'd fancy Derry to go on and win the league. The other lad from Scotland looks useless so far and Cian Kavanagh I guess works in certain situations with his physical presence - hopefully for Derry that miss against Tobol doesn't haunt him for the rest of the season.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    I think McMullan looks to be a very good signing, obviously came with a decent reputation but he gives a lot more balance to the team with him on the right and Duffy on the left.

Goalscoring is the concern if McGonigle could get any sort of confidence back like at the start of last season I'd fancy Derry to go on and win the league. The other lad from Scotland looks useless so far and Cian Kavanagh I guess works in certain situations with his physical presence - hopefully for Derry that miss against Tobol doesn't haunt him for the rest of the season.
    The other lad has looked sharp in his last couple of cameos, not match fit, but clear as day he's not a centre forward.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Oh for the days that mention of the Cup had St Pats fas have an emotional breakdown lol. Just greedy now lads!
    You can build up quite a thirst after 50 odd years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    You can build up quite a thirst after 50 odd years
    50 years next year since Harps only cup win.

I would like to see at least one win in my lifetime
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    50 years next year since Harps only cup win.

I would like to see at least one win in my lifetime
    Yeah, know the feeling. Ironically that last win for Harps was against Pats. Wasn’t at the game but remember being vaguely aware of it as a child. (Aging myself big time now ) Wasn’t at Waterford in 1980 either. Only started going regularly to Pats in 94, so I was at the finals in 96, 2003, 2006 and 2012. Was beginning to think I’d never see a win. I remember the Harps/Bray games (99 I think ?). Two very good games.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast