Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Tommy Barrett: Discuss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

Tommy Barrett: Discuss

Just thought I'd bring this up because a couple of people at the Athlone game seemed to think he isn't up to much overall. Personally I think he has been a revelation and is well up there for player of the season. Just wondering if anyone on here disagrees

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    My player of the season so far. Works his socks off for 90 minutes, strong in the tackle, peerless in the air, breaks up the play well, good for the odd goal. What's to disapprove of?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

re

Quality player indeed and with brendan sweeney a great partnership has not let us down all season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid
    My player of the season so far. Works his socks off for 90 minutes, strong in the tackle, peerless in the air, breaks up the play well, good for the odd goal. What's to disapprove of?
    My sentiments exactly. He's the only midfielder we have who has performed consistantly so far this season. Don't know a lot about Limerick Junior football, but didn't he play up front for Fairview? Wonder if he'd do well partnering Robbie again, or is he better off where he is?
    If you don't like John 3:7...
    There's always Limerick 37!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    He works his socks off and gets stuck in, but he is not really a midfielder in my book. I don't think his passing is great, and his distribution is poor enough as well. He doesn't link the play whatsoever either. All things that are required for a central midfielder. When Tommy gets the ball he gets rid of it just as quick, which is not what your looking for in that area. His workrate can't be faulted, nor his determination or drive, but I don't think he has the attributes to play in central midfield in the long run. To be honest I think Tommy looks best when he is in the attacking third of the pitch, not the defensive end. When he gets into the attacking third he makes things happen and packs a good shot as well. I'd like to see him pushed further forward, maybe even behind the front man or front two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Definitely a fine footballer, and is well able for this level.

I would like to see him pushed up a bit too - but I can understand why he is not. I wouldn't put him in ahead of Kelliher and Nolan just now. Playing 4-4-2 as we do it means too much for Sweeney to do in front of the back four.

Thats based on a 4-4-2 and its abck t the debate about whether the players fit the system or the system fits the players. We don't have great wide men - but we have good midfielders and attacking players.

How about:

Mooney
    O'Mahoney Finucane McGauley Buckley/Tobin
    Wolfe
    Keating Sweeney
    Barrett Nolan
    Kelliher

4-3-3 with Kelliher out and out up front and Barret and Nolan behind and a bit wide.

It means we don't really have much width - but the pressure on the opposition back four would be huge.

This should get some ideas going.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    You know with Wolfes tendency to drift all over the park your tactic of having him as a free rein type holding player might just work

An interesting variation on our current tactics so you can probably expect to see it happen around about the same time a Cork person admits to being wrong about something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    I would like to see him pushed up a bit too - but I can understand why he is not. I wouldn't put him in ahead of Kelliher and Nolan just now.
    I wouldn't have Jamie Nolan on the reserve team, never mind the first team (That goes for Chris Kearns as well). Absolutely useless once again tonight against Kilkenny. Just because he scores a few penalties, everyone thinks 'hey, maybe he is good'. He's s**t and the sooner NOC realises it and puts an end to his pet project, the better. Makes no runs off the ball, half arsed challenges and generally poor work rate and contribution. Barrett and Shane Guerin would be better options, at least they'd work and would offer something in the air. Tonight when Tommy was getting forward in the second half he showed great awareness and made some great runs in the attacking third. That's where he is at his most potent, he should be tried there. We're not scoring enough goals from play, so I don't see why not. On top of that, i'd prefer to see Keating in the centre with Sweeney as he doesn't look comfortable on the right and offers little as a winger. Again we're back to a player being played out of position.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to agree totally with you, the whole balance of the team is not right at present. Keating would be more suited to a central role and yes Kerins and Nolan are a joke, when you see Robbie killing himself for 90mins and you see his strike partner (Nolan) who is wandering around the field looking like he's out for an evening stroll, its very hard for a supporter to digest this.He's gutless, has little or no awareness and has no interest in working for the team.He actually makes CP look world class.Kerins is Cristiano Ronaldo with 2 left feet, continually loosing the ball on the flanks, a headless chicken. To be honest the 2 games we won prior to this, we were very lucky to do so, so all is not well on the playing front.The goals have dried up (unless we get pens.) something will have to change,get Buckley in the side push Tommy up front (what do you have to loose) put on wingers who can play outhere (ie Donners/Young) and get the balance right Noc its just not acceptable at the minute.There was a good crowd tonight, displays like this are not going to have them queing week in week out
    Unity is Power, Power if shared is Strength, Limerick 37 serving the Community of Limerick.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ya have to agree with the point made earlier,i think barretts looked very tired in the last month or so in the games ive seen,but there is no other solution in the middle of the park at the minute.he is probably still better than whats on the bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    re read their posts...keating is the solution to the middle of the park!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Speaking of Tommy Barrett - does anyone else think that himself and Derry Citys Gary Beckett were seperated at birth? They're like identical twins