Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The League Cup 2023- The Return??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    No presidents play in it therefore it can't be the presidents cup
    It's the President's Cup (belonging to) not the Presidents Cup (plural).

Hence Michael D doesn't get a run out, but does get to leave the cup to one of his dogs in his will. My money's on Brod.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 27/11/2022 at 2:18 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Interesting - a new LoI Players Committee met in Lansdowne Road before tonight's game, and it seems the return of the League Cup was one of the items on the agenda:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...e-cup-31175323

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The Europa Conference League seems to have branched successfully from the Europa League in recent years.
    I'd be in favour of a left field format of the President's Cup expanding to include the top 5 in the Premier Division. The FAI Cup winner, League Cup winner and previous year's President's Cup winner should also qualify if outside the top 5. An elite President's Cup of 5 to 8 teams, with the remaining 12 to 15 teams contesting the League Cup.
    A debatable suggestion would be for the expanded President's Cup winner to be guaranteed at least a European playoff spot against 3rd or 4th, depending on the FAI Cup winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Interesting - a new LoI Players Committee met in Lansdowne Road before tonight's game, and it seems the return of the League Cup was one of the items on the agenda:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...e-cup-31175323
    As a pre season competition I’d be in favour.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    McGuinness wanting a tax on already expensive Aviva stadium friendly matches for a fund for ex-LOI players who don't plan for post-LOI career which foreseeably ends early to mid-30s is one of the daftest things he has come out with on top of his previous daft stuff
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    McGuinness wanting a tax on already expensive Aviva stadium friendly matches for a fund for ex-LOI players who don't plan for post-LOI career which foreseeably ends early to mid-30s is one of the daftest things he has come out with on top of his previous daft stuff
    A benevolent fund as they want to call it ,could have many uses. Nobody knows how their circumstances can change. I have seen fund raising activities for ex LOI and International players who have fallen on hard times or are sick. A fund to help support players in situations like this would be a good thing. I’ve seen lots of money wasted in the league on far less noble endeavours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Agree with Ger. The PFAI have come up with many worse suggestions over the years
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    A benevolent fund as they want to call it ,could have many uses. Nobody knows how their circumstances can change. I have seen fund raising activities for ex LOI and International players who have fallen on hard times or are sick. A fund to help support players in situations like this would be a good thing. I’ve seen lots of money wasted in the league on far less noble endeavours.
    Should the PFAI members themselves not be initiating kick-starting this fund through their own contributions themselves with providing financial management education for their members instead of proposing the usual tax for someone else to pay? I say this also knowing many former players/PFAI members in the league at different clubs who have told me their frustrations about teammates who in their 20s coasting along not making big money while making no active planning whatsoever for a post-LOI career be it through education or gaining experience working part-time
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I would positively welcome any form of tax on people stupid enough to pay to watch the likes of a ManUre-Bilbao meaninnglesss and pointless friendly in Ireland. I'd tax the living feck out of them

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123