Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocco Vata M Celtic b.2005

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Rocco Vata M Celtic b.2005

Starting a thread for Rocco Vata, son of former Celtic right back an ex-Albanian international Rudi Vata. Rudi married a Scottish woman while playing for Celtic and on the basis of her mother, Rocco's grandmother, being born in Ireland he is eligible for ourselves in addition to Scotland, Albania and Montenegro. We seem to have gotten to him first and he's been playing in Ireland's underage setup.

Rocco just turned 15 in April but was already involved in Celtic's U18s last year and has gotten off to a strong start for Celtic's new B team which is playing against senior adult sides in the Scottish Lowland League (equivalent of Conference National in the English Pyramid). Both Celtic and Rangers have had B sides admitted on a pilot basis with teams limited to U20 players who have made less than 5 appearances for the senior team that season. Celtic have taken 7 points from 12 so far so it isn't proving to be a cake walk. The equivalent quality level might be LOI 1st Div or LSL. Notwithstanding the quality it says something about him to be holding his own against adults at barely 15. He's scored two in his last two. One to watch for the future. Hopefully he won't switch allegiances at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    That all sounds terribly depressing to me.

As much as we've used the granny rule to our advantage, surely we can field a team of Irish-born players going forward
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Seriously. 'The we've gotten to him first bit' say it all.

I'm not having a go at you Poor Student just why would the FAI bother recruiting 14 year olds from aboard with tenuous links to Ireland?!

I rather they put there time and effort into developing players in Ireland.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post

I'm not having a go at you Poor Student just why would the FAI bother recruiting 14 year olds from aboard with tenuous links to Ireland?!

They can do both. We are assuming a lot. I mean James McCarthy’s grandfather asked him on his deathbed to play for ireland such was his passion for the country. For all we know, Rocco’s grandmother has distilled that sense of irishness into her kids and grandkids. You can’t assume because someone’s a second gen that they don’t have any real links to the country.

He’s clearly not a guy who fell through the cracks, the Scottish and Albanian fa would have been very aware of him - and at this stage, he could represent multiple sides concurrently but he’s only represented ireland. That could change tomorrow - but neither the FAI nor the player have done anything wrong...

Now McGeady for example did play for us over Scotland because we were proactive with him and he was involved with us long before Scotland. As far as I remember, it was Packie Bonner who set it up when McGeady was 13. A few years later, Scotland came calling but he said no. If we had been as proactive with Andy Robertson when he was a young celtic academy player as we were with McGeady, he could be playing for us now...

We should be both developing the best talent here and identifying the best young abroad...

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post

I appreciate it's not directed at me and I'm just piecing together small bits I've seen in articles. I can't speak to his Irishness or lack thereof but if you've ever been to places like Coatbridge there's more than a tenuous connection to Ireland with whole communities in parts of Scotland that trace close lineage here and have a strong cultural connection.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I agree elatedscum -- there's also the argument that if we field the best team possible, that will promote the game and encourage more kids to play -- better results down the line.

Bottom line though, if his mother feels Irish or the kid has a great relationship with his Irish grandparents -- he should have the right to play for us and we should embrace that. Given his parents are born in other countries, I'd suggest he would have held off for either of them if that's where his heart actually is.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I don't know much about Scottish culture but there are plenty reasons why the lad might identify with Ireland as much as Albania or Scotland. Firstly, he's living in Scotland with an Albanian parent so maybe he doesn't feel all that Scottish. I see a 19 year old young lad called Armando Broja who is a very hot prospect with Chelsea already has 6 Albanian senior caps and was born in England. Maybe he didn't identify all that much as English. There's also the fact that he plays for Celtic- the club of his father and maybe his mother too. Old Firm tribalism may have impacted on his identity too. Not to mention Brexit.

Plenty good quotes in this article regarding time spent in Howth and that "His granny is the happiest Irishwoman in Scotland".
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...ic-of-ireland/

Anyway, if this is good enough for Wales then why can't it be good enough for us? Plenty of other countries have produced players good enough for the national side of the country in which they were born but the players opted to play for that of their parents. We should be experiencing the benefits of this too. Plenty lads with Wales and Algeria, Achraf Hakimi, Koulibaly, Higuain, Rakitic (plenty others born in Switzerland playing for Balkan countries), Zaha etc. All different circumstances, I'm sure, but we are due a few falling our way now with a long time (the halcyon days of McCarthy and McGeady seem so long ago since Rice and Grealish).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    His mother is on twitter fairly regularly and seems to have been pushing it to begin with, and it was pursued by both parties rather than the FAI doing a smash and grab.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I know we're all sore after Rice especially but would hate for the kid to read this thread. Players from the diaspora should be welcomed with open arms.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Ordinarily, we don't start a new thread for a player until they make their senior debut, but Celtic and Rangers' B teams this season are a bit of a grey area - it's senior football, but not with a senior club side, similar to the Premier League 2 sides.
    One solution is to rename this thread so it's the 2021/22 U23 thread
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    His mother is on twitter fairly regularly and seems to have been pushing it to begin with, and it was pursued by both parties rather than the FAI doing a smash and grab.

https://twitter.com/AnnFrancesMurr3

She's great- consistently retweeting the FAI and other Irish player tracker accounts and I see some tweets about how he loves playing for Ireland and Celtic.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I know we're all sore after Rice especially but would hate for the kid to read this thread. Players from the diaspora should be welcomed with open arms.
    To be fair, there's as much chance of Rudi pushing him down the Albanian route if he progresses/when the time comes, as there is him sticking with us, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://twitter.com/AnnFrancesMurr3

She's great- consistently retweeting the FAI and other Irish player tracker accounts and I see some tweets about how he loves playing for Ireland and Celtic.
    Ah yes! She's a babe!
    Last edited by Kingdom; 05/08/2021 at 6:45 PM.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Always welcome to have another prospect coming through at Celtic!

I hope CSAD doesn't read this thread or else the ambulance better be on standby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ordinarily, we don't start a new thread for a player until they make their senior debut, but Celtic and Rangers' B teams this season are a bit of a grey area - it's senior football, but not with a senior club side, similar to the Premier League 2 sides.
    One solution is to rename this thread so it's the 2021/22 U23 thread
    Alternative - rename this thread for the Scottish B Teams, to cover updates for Vata and Bosun Lawal at Celtic, and McCann at Rangers
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    On the bench tonight for Celtic v Hibs. CSAD probably having a conniption as I type this hearing sounds of regression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    On the bench tonight for Celtic v Hibs. CSAD probably having a conniption as I type this hearing sounds of regression.
    easy now or you'll be labelled a celtic fan

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    I’ll be banned if I give my opinion on why this has happened tonight, you can thank mod
    John for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    I’ll be banned if I give my opinion on why this has happened tonight, you can thank mod
    John for this.
    why has it happened?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Go on CSAD, go to your well of wisdom one more time, do it for the fans lad
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Comes on on 84th minute. Not 18 until next April. A long way to go in his development but nice to see him getting senior minutes, he has clearly outgrown highland pub leagues. Will be interesting to see if he stays with ireland, when Scotland and Albania step up their recruitment game

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast