Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Tom Cannon F Leicester b.2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    Bit about Tom Cannon's connection to Connacht in the Tribune
    https://connachttribune.ie/connemara...-hot-shot-090/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...371654889.html

This journalist really should learn the rules

It's p*ss poor

"John O’Shea has hinted at a senior debut for Leicester City striker Tom Cannon in Tuesday’s friendly away to Portugal – which would formally tie the attacker to Ireland for the next three years"

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...371654889.html

This journalist really should learn the rules

It's p*ss poor

"John O’Shea has hinted at a senior debut for Leicester City striker Tom Cannon in Tuesday’s friendly away to Portugal – which would formally tie the attacker to Ireland for the next three years"
    Irish journalists are ****e = = Too much of a cosy club !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Do they not even talk to each other though? I know Dan McDonnell knows the rules, and he's with the same paper, surely they'd have a 10 minute chat through the eligibility rules at some point in the office since they're both covering the Irish team as part of their brief?!

Like it's actually wrong for two reasons, not just one (he's over 21 and it's a friendly). It's incredibly poor journalism.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I loved his first touch to take down a high ball, and second touch to take it around the defender. Probably should have scored. Getting a shot on target was the easier part though I think he slipped before shooting.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I loved his first touch to take down a high ball, and second touch to take it around the defender. Probably should have scored. Getting a shot on target was the easier part though I think he slipped before shooting.
    He looks a good player

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    He looks a good player
    Yep we knew what Jake O'Brien and Kelleher could do from their club form

We hadn't a breeze if Cannon was up to it
    Cannon looked the part immediately when he came on. Again just to repeat what we all know

The goal keepers and defence are strong and our attacking players are good too. It's the midfield that's killing us.... and of course not having an experienced professional football manager.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Full/wing back is going to be as bad as centre mid soon, and they're more important than ever in the modern game. I've no problem playing the older players if they're the best options available, but we're a couple of injuries to players who send their physios Christmas cards from asking McClean back.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Full/wing back is going to be as bad as centre mid soon, and they're more important than ever in the modern game. I've no problem playing the older players if they're the best options available, but we're a couple of injuries to players who send their physios Christmas cards from asking McClean back.
    Dara O Shea would be one to switch to right full.
    We still have numerous options at CB
    LB is going to be an issue. I thought scales was horrendous v Portugal

The wing back thing doesn't work for us. We need 4 at the back and 5 in midfield.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts

The wing back thing doesn't work for us. We need 4 at the back and 5 in midfield.
    Also ~ 4-5-1 is actually very adaptable if the will is there to make it adaptable !

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts

I think most players were horrendous against Portugal, and Scales has the excuse of being up against Ronaldo most of the evening, but I know the point you're making. I think there's still a bit of concern about his passing ability - or he might delay a pass and get into trouble as a result - and it'd be interesting to see how next season goes.

I'm not sure he's a left-back though. Yeah, he played there for UCD and Rovers, but arguably he could get away with it because of his natural ability at a low level. He really struggled there for Celtic and only when he went back into the centre did he stay to improve.

I'd be wary of calling O'Shea an answer to our problems at fullback/wingback for the same reason. I don't know how long we can expect to call up Brady/Stevens/Coleman/Doherty there. But who are the alternatives? Manning - not a world beater but i think he has to be a main option. Browne/O'Dowda? Square peg in round holes. Festy? Needs to improve a lot based on his cameos. Adaramola didn't massively impress in Belgium. MacNulty I guess. Roughan seems solidly L1 level.

It's a huge issue - we've no midfield and are 12 months from having no fullbacks. There's only so much Kelleher and Ferguson can do on their own for us!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think most players were horrendous against Portugal, and Scales has the excuse of being up against Ronaldo most of the evening, but I know the point you're making. I think there's still a bit of concern about his passing ability - or he might delay a pass and get into trouble as a result - and it'd be interesting to see how next season goes.

I'm not sure he's a left-back though. Yeah, he played there for UCD and Rovers, but arguably he could get away with it because of his natural ability at a low level. He really struggled there for Celtic and only when he went back into the centre did he stay to improve.

I'd be wary of calling O'Shea an answer to our problems at fullback/wingback for the same reason. I don't know how long we can expect to call up Brady/Stevens/Coleman/Doherty there. But who are the alternatives? Manning - not a world beater but i think he has to be a main option. Browne/O'Dowda? Square peg in round holes. Festy? Needs to improve a lot based on his cameos. Adaramola didn't massively impress in Belgium. MacNulty I guess. Roughan seems solidly L1 level.

It's a huge issue - we've no midfield and are 12 months from having no fullbacks. There's only so much Kelleher and Ferguson can do on their own for us!
    At a push O'Shea could play left-back and Omobamidele could play at right-back - but they would have to be full-backs rather than wing-backs. If you want wing-backs you have Ogbene for the right - but we are badly stuck on the left beyond Ryan Manning.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I think it's inevitable that we will start playing at least one centre back in a full back role against stronger opposition before long. It's an obvious tactic against better teams, get an extra natural defender on the pitch and sacrifice an element of attacking from the back in the process, which is probably fine as we won't see much of the ball in those games anyway.

Unless John O'Shea gets the job of course, in which case he'll just play Coleman and Brady until they're 45.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223