Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Cannon F Stoke (loan from Leicester) b.2002

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    888 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    If Cannon does switch at least he's doing it now before the campaign kicks off.
    Well he needs to drop out before the campaign kicks off, because if he plays a minute for us in the qualifiers then he can't play for England Under 21s. And realistically he'll have a fair wait for an English senior call, if one ever comes his way. So the timing is not a coincidence - he needs to be out of the Irish system before the campaign starts to allow him to play for England Under 21s - if we had had a qualifier in March rather than a friendly he'd have been tied for this campaign and I doubt the English FA would have bothered going after him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    The story was that Hodgson had promised him a call up straight to the senior side (after the FA Cup performance against Liverpool) - but once he’d made the switch Roy reneged on that promise.

Southgate was also kinda **** with Grealish - saying he wouldn’t consider players playing in the championship, then calling up Phillips before he’d played in the premier league to stop him declaring for Ireland
    I'd never heard before that Phillips was considering declaring for us!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    888 Posts
    I think he was using us as a tactic to get an England cap to be honest. I don't think it was ever 100% confirmed that he was actually eligible for us.

The same nonsense James Maddison was at.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I think he was using us as a tactic to get an England cap to be honest. I don't think it was ever 100% confirmed that he was actually eligible for us.

The same nonsense James Maddison was at.
    Pretty sure his grandparents on his mother’s side are Irish (his mother confirmed on Twitter) and he was eligible for Jamaica via a grandparent on his father’s side.

He was 24 and had never played for England at any youth level, so there was no issue there…

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    It would be good if we could close the posts on this now to save the abuse for him. Best of luck to him no point staying if your heart isn't in it

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    It would be good if we could close the posts on this now to save the abuse for him. Best of luck to him no point staying if your heart isn't in it
    This is only getting going liamoo. Senior cap for us in September or 21s with England is where its headed in all likelihood, he only needs to miss a few August sitters to start feeling Irish again after all.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    This is only getting going liamoo. Senior cap for us in September or 21s with England is where its headed in all likelihood, he only needs to miss a few August sitters to start feeling Irish again after all.
    This is a leadership versus management moment for Kenny I think. If he wants to stay with us he goes back to the 21s in September regardless of how well he is doing at his club to earn the right to get senior caps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Not surprised. No abuse incoming at all I’d say though. He hasn’t screwed is around at all (unlike Rice, abuse merited). The connection there with Cannon and is is weak enough, let’s be honest, and it’s understandable if his heart lies elsewhere. It’s good that it’s come now and I think CTP is right. But kinda hard to interpret Kenny’s comments fully - like you’d hope putting it out there like that came with Moyes/Cannons blessing in some way or it would be a bit self-defeating and/or he knows the end already and doesn’t care about doing damage. Seems unlikely it’s the latter but who knows. If the door is truly still open to him committing to the green jersey I’d be saying to him at the meeting - “all things being equal, it’s you and Ferguson up front in Autumn and for the next 10+ years. Join us now or let’s leave it be”.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how involved Lee Carsely would be in this move?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    I'd say Carsley has more important things to worry about with the U21 Euros starting next week and could well be out of a job next month.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Out of curiosity, I wonder how involved Lee Carsely would be in this move?

I had an eye on the Balogun switch from England to the USA recently ( & England losing that player almost certainly upped the focus on Cannon ) & Carsley was reported as having flown to France to meet him to try to sway him their way. Carsley was interviewed several times too on that one. So he's fairly front & centre here one can reasonably presume.

The Americans flew the player over and basically fellatio'ed the bejaysus out of him until they got their guy, which is in stark contrast to liamoo's proposed tactical approach here.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    This is a leadership versus management moment for Kenny I think. If he wants to stay with us he goes back to the 21s in September regardless of how well he is doing at his club to earn the right to get senior caps
    That's 1970s management and players don't respond to that. Like it or not we have to play the game here and use whatever diplomacy needed to keep him on board. He might be brilliant, or he might be a L1 player but we still need to keep him on board if we can. It it doesn't work out then fair enough.

Nationality has been talked to death on here but most people would agree at this point it's more nuanced than that in this day and age. It's not a case of you're Irish or you're not.

I still think we are in strong position. Obafemi did similar to Cannon last year and had super 2nd half of season. A good preseason and there's a players still in him.

We forget Troy Parrott had a similar injury this season to what finished Paul O Connells rugby career, where his hamstring tore off the bone. He's still a very good player if he can get the attitude and application right.

Idah has a big season ahead, but he did well off the bench against France, and I do like him. He could age well if experience teaches him bit of cleverness. He's got talent.

And of course Evan Ferguson who is gonna be our main man for 15 years.

All these strikers are still so young and I'm not convinced Cannon is definitely better than any of them. He's only had about 10 hood games.

If we keep him great, if he goes so be it.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    O'Connell was already coming to the end of his career. The hamstring injury just made it a little earlier than planned. Cian Healy had the same injury and is probably going to the world cup in September

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    O'Connell was already coming to the end of his career. The hamstring injury just made it a little earlier than planned. Cian Healy had the same injury and is probably going to the world cup in September
    My point was that it was serious, Connell had a contract to play in France the season after it happened and he never managed one game because of it

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Wake you UP, paddys they aré colonialist to the core, they aré UP there to destroy irish football AND irish development, even the irish football supremo Is I believe an englishman, wake UP my friends!! I dont hate them but they always show their suprema y and ego everytime they can

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I'd say Carsley has more important things to worry about with the U21 Euros starting next week and could well be out of a job next month.
    I dont think Carsley , I think More of the suits, and the full structure, I dont blame the kid, I blame the Situation, We have Garnacho to debut vs Australia on thursday, but until two months ago the spanyards were trying to lure him away of Argentina, they aré víctima of geopolítics these young footballers, thats when I agree with Kenny AND those videos, the only way you can bring these kids Is with More irish identity AND politika

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    My point was that it was serious, Connell had a contract to play in France the season after it happened and he never managed one game because of it
    Well that escalated quickly..
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Time for Ireland to say thanks, but no thanks to players like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Time for Ireland to say thanks, but no thanks to players like this.
    How about players like Ryan Manning who also turned down call up this window?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    611 Posts
    QUOTE=weldoninhio;2151012]Time for Ireland to say thanks, but no thanks to players like this.[/QUOTE]

Not even sure how that works - if he comes to us later in the year and says he wants to continue to play for Ireland, do we refuse to pick him and tell him to switch? I'm perfectly happy to give him the summer to consider things - this is a friendly window so it's not a big deal - gives a couple of the other lads a chance to impress, which is good even if he does switch. I think it would be reasonable to expect him to make his choice before the qualifiers start so that we can plan properly, but if he is happy to stay with us, knowing he might get a senior call-up quite soon, then there's no reason to say no thanks to him

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast