Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Tom Cannon F Leicester b.2002

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The problem with that is that it's fairly clear that he's worth a senior cap for us. So if he plays under 21s and does well, then everyone starts calling for him to be moved up. That was already happening last summer after his stint at Preston. So if he isn't moved up then the questions as to why start coming and someone has to get the blame - either he gets hammered for playing Under 21s but not senior or Kenny (last summer) or the new manager covers for him and gets hammered for not promoting a talented player. So I don't think coming back to only play Under 21s is a realistic option now. Once he was in the frame for a senior call he had to either commit, switch to England or step back for a while. I can see why he has done what he has done.
    That's fair enough but it seems like we are showing no respect for our national side by allowing Cannon to dictate all aspects of this decision regardless of how good a player you think he is

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I can't see how anyone could think cannons behaviour is superior to Grealish s around this? If this was your son or daughter which course of action would you ask them to follow ? It's all very well been a good footballer but you should want to behave respectfully as well as a person
    I don't want to derail this thread but Grealish always knew he was going to play for England. The primary reason that he played for Ireland was because we stretched him at older age groups and he could always move to England. The secondary reason is his strong family ties, although I think it is very clear that his father pushed him to play for England. If you think that him dragging granny from Sneem over for a day out with the rest of his family to collect his under 21 poty award whilst knowing he was going to jump ship is a sign of respect then fair enough.

I think Cannon is a little like Rice in that the England option is only becoming apparent now. His decision is far more precarious than Grealish's was ever. And more precarious than Rice's post 3 friendly caps because Rice knew he was nailed on for England by then.

Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between the three and think that as they qualify for Ireland and definitely feel partly Irish then they deserve the caps they have all received (so far for Cannon).

Cannon should have tipped away with our 21s while he was able. I have heard or read his agent (Moyes' brother) is a fiery character (can't remember where) so maybe he jumped the gun a little. Maybe Leicester would have paid more if he were an England under 21 cap was his reasoning.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread but Grealish always knew he was going to play for England. The primary reason that he played for Ireland was because we stretched him at older age groups and he could always move to England. The secondary reason is his strong family ties, although I think it is very clear that his father pushed him to play for England. If you think that him dragging granny from Sneem over for a day out with the rest of his family to collect his under 21 poty award whilst knowing he was going to jump ship is a sign of respect then fair enough.

I think Cannon is a little like Rice in that the England option is only becoming apparent now. His decision is far more precarious than Grealish's was ever. And more precarious than Rice's post 3 friendly caps because Rice knew he was nailed on for England by then.

Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between the three and think that as they qualify for Ireland and definitely feel partly Irish then they deserve the caps they have all received (so far for Cannon).

Cannon should have tipped away with our 21s while he was able. I have heard or read his agent (Moyes' brother) is a fiery character (can't remember where) so maybe he jumped the gun a little. Maybe Leicester would have paid more if he were an England under 21 cap was his reasoning.
    Grealish behaved really well with rhe issue, rice behaved terribly and Cannon is also behaving terribly. .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Was Grealish all that much better really ?

Anyway if Cannon came on board in a year or two and played well for us ~ All would be forgiven ~ That's football.

If you think of the financial possibilities of playing for England ~ Well ? !

Also it has got harder for smaller countries ( except for one or two exceptions ) to compete against the bigger / stronger nations.

As a striker would you want to be playing in front of the Irish midfield of the moment ?

If Ferguson turns out to be a super-star ( here's hoping ) then we might get a bit of the Gareth Bale affect that he had for Wales i.e Attracting a few who might be between two minds.

Sadly, in this day and age the attractions ( financially and otherwise ) of playing international football for England far outweigh anything we have to offer.

As I say ~ ~ Sadly, we have to be realistic and, not be burning boats too easily on players with potential. I wish it wasn't so but that's the way it is.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    Grealish behaved really well with rhe issue, rice behaved terribly and Cannon is also behaving terribly. .
    How is Cannon behaving terribly?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    How is Cannon behaving terribly?
    He’s not. I think Liamoo is being a little overly sensitive to the situation - which is fine. He’s asked for time to make a decision that will materially impact his career. It’s not disrespectful and it’s not terrible in my opinion. Neither his nor Grealish’s behaviour is anywhere as close to contemptible as was Declan Rice’s. They don’t belong in the same conversation in fairness. Hopefully we can swing him our way as I agree he looks a real top prospect while also not quite looking (yet) like a nailed on English multi-cap player.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Was Grealish all that much better really ?
    Are you serious? Rice took senior caps, 3 of them before Southgate fluttered his eyelashes at him. Anyone with a moral compass or shred of decency would have done one of two things 1) turned down the senior caps or 2) told Southgate that the FA missed their chance.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Are you serious? Rice took senior caps, 3 of them before Southgate fluttered his eyelashes at him. Anyone with a moral compass or shred of decency would have done one of two things 1) turned down the senior caps or 2) told Southgate that the FA missed their chance.
    Fair enough. but I sort of remember the Grealish saga going on for a long time as well. And I was more comparing Grealish with Cannon.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I think the fervour and Impetous of a new regime is a bigger hook and “jumping on” point than what we’ve had in recent years. That needs to be sorted soon if it’s to be capitalised on with regards to dual nationality players with other options.
    As for Cannon, I’m not happy with him but if he plays hard to get for the new mangers first squad then he can definitely get ****** there after.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    That's fair enough but it seems like we are showing no respect for our national side by allowing Cannon to dictate all aspects of this decision regardless of how good a player you think he is
    You can't force a dual eligible player to play for us, or any player for that matter. I would say it would be more disrespectful to the national side to start putting unnecessary deadlines in front of players and losing their services as a result. Give the man a bit of time and space to make his decision. If he goes then that's up to him. I'd rather he took the step back and made his decision at this point rather than doing what Rice did and taking senior caps when he wasn't fully committed.

In terms of the three I would rank them as follows:

Rice - took Ireland senior caps when not fully committed and then defected, disgraceful in my view.

Grealish - appears to have taken Ireland underage caps purely for career advancement purposes, knowing full well that unless things went wrong for him he was going to play for England. Poor form if true, but at least he made his decision before taking any senior caps so less of a disgrace than Rice.

Cannon - accepted Ireland caps thinking there was no interest from England. Had his head turned by someone when he was on the verge of a senior call up and has taken a break from international football to allow him time to make a decision. Not ideal, but completely different to the other two cases.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    And bottom of that scale you could add Patrick Bamford - one u18 cap, but quickly decided his heart wasn't with us. I don't recall him stringing us along, and he might be an England one-cap wonder but I'm sure it means more to him than 50 with us. If Cannon prefers to play for England, I'd rather he decided now. Better for him to put the issue to bed and put his focus into getting that call-up. That said, I hope he stays with us. I'm just not optimistic he will.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I can't see how anyone could think cannons behaviour is superior to Grealish s around this? If this was your son or daughter which course of action would you ask them to follow ? It's all very well been a good footballer but you should want to behave respectfully as well as a person
    If it were my son, my advice would be pick a horse and back yourself to do well with them. Get rid of the distraction. Commit to one or the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    I do recall Jack Grealish in the middle of the whole saga saying 'I look forward to pulling on the green jersey again'. Which was a stupid thing to say when he'd no intention of playing senior for us.
    I also really hearing a story of him in an underage Irish camp during a team building exercise where everyone had to share their hopes and dreams for the future. Jack stunned the room when he said his dream was to one day play for England senior team.
    But because he was such a good player and affecting games so much for us, the manager didn't pull him up on it.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I also really hearing a story of him in an underage Irish camp during a team building exercise where everyone had to share their hopes and dreams for the future. Jack stunned the room when he said his dream was to one day play for England senior team.
    But because he was such a good player and affecting games so much for us, the manager didn't pull him up on it.
    First time I heard that one - any source ?

If it happened Grealish should have been benched on the spot.

The one player that openly declared he used the Irish underage set-up to advance his career because he couldn't get selected for the English underage teams was Michael Keane - and he jumped as soon as he was called up by England. For me that is by far the worse case.

The decision by both Grealish and Rice was driven by money - being Irish internationals would have halved their transfer fee and halved their contract size. The switch was driven by agents and their club. Grealish's father now works for the agent who got Grealish to declare for England.

I don't have a problem with Cannon taking his time - when he makes a decision you know he will be committed, no matter which way he decides.
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 10/01/2024 at 12:00 PM.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    That's one that's being doing the rounds that definitely isn't true - someone said they'd heard off someone who heard it, just after he'd confirmed he was gonna play for England. It doesn't even make any sense - there's no way a 15-18 year old kid seriously says that in an Ireland camp, in front of all his Irish team mates. People do need to remember that England were chasing Grealish and he rejected them from age 15 up (offering him to join their u17 euros squad at age 15). If, at that age, he wanted to play for England, it was really easy to do so and England were trying everything to make it happen. They continued to chase him every year and at every age group and they were constantly rejected.

i also heard the exact same story about 15 years ago, except it was an england underage team building squad and it was Kevin Kilbane saying he dreamt of playing for Ireland. and again a decade ago with James McClean for a NI underage squad (which actually seems more believable)

It's all a bit like the one about Wayne Rooney being kicked out of a trial at Liverpool for wearing an Everton jersey. Good story that fits a certain narrative but didn't happen...
    Last edited by elatedscum; 10/01/2024 at 2:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    If it were my son, my advice would be pick a horse and back yourself to do well with them. Get rid of the distraction. Commit to one or the other.
    If Mrs. Feet and I had a kid, he'd be eligible for Ireland and South Korea.

Imagine he was a good young League One player with a high ceiling, with scouts from EPL clubs looking at him; he's not on Ireland's radar yet, but has a potential pathway to our senior team if he maxes out on his talent.

But then Korea offer him an immediate place in their senior squad to fill a problem position, with the likelihood of a 50+ cap career.

In that case, I'd advise him to wait and see. Get established in his club career first, find his level, and then assess his options. International managers are pragmatists; once he's committed either way, they'll call him up if he's good enough to add to their teams. There won't be any deadlines set. I wouldn't be telling my kid to commit out of 'respect' to Korean fans, especially not a bunch of angry lads on Internet forums. Fans are fickle - a few good performances and they'll be won over.

In Cannon's case, committing to Ireland over England could mean foregoing huge earning potential as well as (probably) a childhood dream. It's not a decision he should take lightly, especially with us being unlikely to qualify for any major tournaments in the next five-six years, and the fact that he plays in the same position as our only elite-level player.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 10/01/2024 at 3:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    First time I heard that one - any source ?

If it happened Grealish should have been benched on the spot.

The one player that openly declared he used the Irish underage set-up to advance his career because he couldn't get selected for the English underage teams was Michael Keane - and he jumped as soon as he was called up by England. For me that is by far the worse case.

The decision by both Grealish and Rice was driven by money - being Irish internationals would have halved their transfer fee and halved their contract size. The switch was driven by agents and their club. Grealish's father now works for the agent who got Grealish to declare for England.

I don't have a problem with Cannon taking his time - when he makes a decision you know he will be committed, no matter which way he decides.
    I heard it from a father of one of his team-mates in the set-up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    If Mrs. Feet and I had a kid, he'd be eligible for Ireland and South Korea.

Imagine he was a good young League One player with a high ceiling, with scouts from EPL clubs looking at him; he's not on Ireland's radar yet, but has a potential pathway to our senior team if he maxes out on his talent.

But then Korea offer him an immediate place in their senior squad to fill a problem position, with the likelihood of a 50+ cap career.

In that case, I'd advise him to wait and see. Get established in his club career first, find his level, and then assess his options. International managers are pragmatists; once he's committed either way, they'll call him up if he's good enough to add to their teams. There won't be any deadlines set. I wouldn't be telling my kid to commit out of 'respect' to Korean fans, especially not a bunch of angry lads on Internet forums. Fans are fickle - a few good performances and they'll be won over.

In Cannon's case, committing to Ireland over England could mean foregoing huge earning potential as well as (probably) a childhood dream. It's not a decision he should take lightly, especially with us being unlikely to qualify for any major tournaments in the next five-six years, and the fact that he plays in the same position as our only elite-level player.
    South Korea vs Ireland is a no-brainer. You'd pick SK. They qualify for things.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    South Korea vs Ireland is a no-brainer. You'd pick SK. They qualify for things.
    My son is half Korean and he's not getting back into the house, if he picked Korea

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    My son is half Korean and he's not getting back into the house, if he picked Korea
    What about his Mother ? !

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast