Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matches 6th November

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I think saying Duffy wasnt available is to easy an ansewer as all clubs (unless you are very lucky) have players out with injuries.
    Burke and Byrne argueably our two best players played bit parts at best for most of the season and we lost Mandroiu in July (ironically he was injured until September anyway) even if he had stayed.
    LEts say Duffy is fit and rareing to go next Feb , id argue if Burke and Byrne are fit you are further behind not closer.

Also Derry with Duffy in situ surrendered very meakly against Shels and Sligo before comeing to Tallaght and losing. If Derry dont strengthen significantly over the winter i will be surprised.
    Whatever Higgins says publically he cant be happy with how the season has finished.
    Yeah thats all fair enough as regards Duffy I suppose that line of think is in the case of all other things being as they were. Which of course is unrealistic and unfair.

I don’t think anyone can be happy with our final 4 league performances no but if we win the cup there will be no one saying it was anything other than an excellent season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I think saying Duffy wasnt available is to easy an ansewer as all clubs (unless you are very lucky) have players out with injuries.
    Burke and Byrne argueably our two best players played bit parts at best for most of the season and we lost Mandroiu in July (ironically he was injured until September anyway) even if he had stayed.
    LEts say Duffy is fit and rareing to go next Feb , id argue if Burke and Byrne are fit you are further behind not closer.

Also Derry with Duffy in situ surrendered very meakly against Shels and Sligo before comeing to Tallaght and losing. If Derry dont strengthen significantly over the winter i will be surprised.
    Whatever Higgins says publically he cant be happy with how the season has finished.
    I mean sure it's easy to say that, just like it's easy to say even with injuries rovers should have been out of sight earlier. But as these things go (if my granny had balls etc), everything else staying the same and Duffy being available all season, it's hardly an outlandish suggestion. Is it?

Yes Derry will have to sign well, and I'm not sure where that's going to come from. Unlikely to sign three players (and a manager) from a recent three in a row winning team. But they're hardly the only ones.

At home Derry dropped 23 points, Pat's 21, Dundalk 13 and Rovers 4. Any improvement by Derry would leave little room for error elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    I mean sure it's easy to say that, just like it's easy to say even with injuries rovers should have been out of sight earlier. But as these things go (if my granny had balls etc), everything else staying the same and Duffy being available all season, it's hardly an outlandish suggestion. Is it?

Yes Derry will have to sign well, and I'm not sure where that's going to come from. Unlikely to sign three players (and a manager) from a recent three in a row winning team. But they're hardly the only ones.

At home Derry dropped 23 points, Pat's 21, Dundalk 13 and Rovers 4. Any improvement by Derry would leave little room for error elsewhere.
    Its not outlandish at all that if Derry had Duffy and Rovers had the same injury issues that Derry would have been closer than 13 points but if i said everything the same except we have Jack and Burke playing 90 mins every week its not putlandish to say we win the league by 30 points.

My only point is that same squads next season for both and Rovers win again IMO and i think Higgins probably knows that hence Derry will strengthen.

If Liam Burt is coming to Rovers as seems to be expected he will be a bit of creative cover for next year
    Last edited by sbgawa; 07/11/2022 at 2:40 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    When Burt went off and gave the fans an applause, it looked like a goodbye. Would agree with the players you’ve listed, with the exception of Twardek. I just think he’s not good enough for us for where we need to go. Not sure what will happen with Coote. I’d also take a punt on Varian.
    Twardek was a super player when he was at Bohs first time around and i was worried when he came back tbh.
    He just doesnt seem to be the same player, any chance Devine can get a better tune out of him?? that being said he was great under Long first time so it cant be that unless he was playing different positions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    I've seen some bad goalkeeping this year believe me but Tadgh Ryan has to be one of the worst ever in the league,another howler last night I just seen........
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I've seen some bad goalkeeping this year believe me but Tadgh Ryan has to be one of the worst ever in the league,another howler last night I just seen........
    hes poor but hes incredibly bad at long range shots, saw enough of it down at cork. not bad at reacting to save some close rangers though. another guy with a bit of an inflated ego, wanted a pay rise off cork and we didnt give him one so he f'd off to limerick. nothing more than a FD keeper.
    Last edited by Jd2793; 07/11/2022 at 3:06 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Dropped a clanger in the play-offs against us last season as well.

Walsh for Sligo wasn't great for Bohs' opener either. May be some reserve keeper spots available in the coming months.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    He’s terrible all right. whenever I saw him this year he was always very dodgy.
    He’s third choice for a reason behind Talbot and McCracken, but injuries to both of them meant he played for nearly half the season - a big reason for Bohs awful form in the latter half of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Its not outlandish at all that if Derry had Duffy and Rovers had the same injury issues that Derry would have been closer than 13 points but if i said everything the same except we have Jack and Burke playing 90 mins every week its not putlandish to say we win the league by 30 points.

My only point is that same squads next season for both and Rovers win again IMO and i think Higgins probably knows that hence Derry will strengthen.

If Liam Burt is coming to Rovers as seems to be expected he will be a bit of creative cover for next year
    Sure, Rovers have a deeper squad and could conceivably go the season unbeaten. But 13 points is still closer than it should have been given that depth. And remains to be seen if the last couple of games come back to bite Higgins in the arse.

In terms of first 11s I think it might be bit closer than people are willing to admit. Still probably 2 starters and an injection of cynicism from a title challenge though. And who exactly would be expecting Higgins to look at this season and think, 'you know what, I don't think I need to add anyone to this squad'?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Derry won't be 13 points behind Rovers next season. For whatever reason they threw in the towel at the end and had their blip in the middle but when on song they are really good. They need 3 signings I think, something different up front, some more bite in midfield and probably another centre half. I haven't seen a lot of them but it seems like Connolly and Diallo made a big difference so a few more like that and they will be really strong. Of course Rovers need the same so it will be close next season I think. A lot will depend on how much Mannus, Gaffney, Finn etc have in the tank and who both clubs can get in. If Derry win the cup it should spur them on as it did us but their recent form is very poor. I know all the Derry folks on here like Maher but his distribution against us in the last game was woeful. Maybe just a blip but I think he'll need to go up a level. Mannus has been exceptional and probably worth 13 points all on his own.

Having Byrne all year may have seen us more comfortable but I'm not so sure really. He hasn't been anywhere near his top level in ages and tends to slow us down. We were at our best this season when we went more direct to Gaffney who was our most effective player by a mile. Burke was a huge loss but that's what you're getting with Burke, he seems to be always on the verge of injury. If Danny had stayed I think he would have had more of a say, particularly in Europe where we looked too slow up front. I'd hope we are looking for a similar type of player up front along with an energetic midfielder and wing back.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Dropped a clanger in the play-offs against us last season as well.

Walsh for Sligo wasn't great for Bohs' opener either. May be some reserve keeper spots available in the coming months.
    Was his first game. Wouldn’t be writing him off just yet.

13. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123