Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    When’s the last time Longford had a local manager? Can only remember Dublin managers and Neale Fenn but maybe I’m missing someone…
    Curiosity got the better of me, according to Wikipedia/google last anyway local was Michael O'Connor(Athlone) 1996-1998
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Ian Ryan gone from Wexford it seems.

https://wexfordfc.ie/latest-news/138...ement-ian-ryan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Don't know who does Ryan's PR but 6th in a poor division a d he is the next great hope for Ireland manager if you listened to the media chatter about him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I think Ian Ryan may be on his way back to UCD as number 1

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    And the reason I say UCD, the club do not like indiscipline, long history of punishing it, and Myler has been suspended for a lot of games this season, most recently for disgustingly abusing an official, well always for abusing officials I also hear on the grapevine that his issues are not solely with officials. So I'm going out on a limb here, they are sacking Myler (he will say work commitments), and Ryaner is coming home. Hopefully so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    And the reason I say UCD, the club do not like indiscipline, long history of punishing it, and Myler has been suspended for a lot of games this season, most recently for disgustingly abusing an official, well always for abusing officials I also hear on the grapevine that his issues are not solely with officials. So I'm going out on a limb here, they are sacking Myler (he will say work commitments), and Ryaner is coming home. Hopefully so
    Heard Ian Ryan is almost certain to take over in Bray with Devo taking a back seat! Should be announced in the next few days

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinwanderer View Post
    Heard Ian Ryan is almost certain to take over in Bray with Devo taking a back seat! Should be announced in the next few days
    That would make sense, but if he thinks Devo is taking a back seat, he should speak to Collie ONeill and find out how that worked out. If Devo name is anywhere involved, then it will end in tears

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Huge blow for Wexford. Ryaner did a fantastic job over the season and a half he was with us and not surprised he's in demand.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    When’s the last time Longford had a local manager? Can only remember Dublin managers and Neale Fenn but maybe I’m missing someone…
    Zac Hackett managed Longford Town from mid 80s to early mths of 91/92 season so would be our last local manager to manage us.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Don't know who does Ryan's PR but 6th in a poor division a d he is the next great hope for Ireland manager if you listened to the media chatter about him.
    Nail on head. I don't get it myself.

Wexford played some nice football but in the end they achieved nothing. And they weren't doing it with no budget or a team of kids either. Dinny Corcoran, Aaron Dobbs, Aidan Friel, Conor Davis, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Jack Doherty, Joe Manley. All experienced players with plenty of Premier Division appearances between them.

Yes they had some promising looking young lads too but I don't get the praise for Ryan. He could go on to be the best manager in the country in time, but Tommy Barrett, Gary Cronin and even the Athlone manager Lennon (first name escapes me) all done equally as good or better jobs with the tools at their disposal for me. Ryan always the one to get linked for bigger and better things though.

And if he's leaving to take up the reigns at CaBray then good luck to him!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Completely in agreement with the bemusement at the hype over Ian Ryan.

Simply put, not achieving a playoff place this year with the squad at his disposal was a major failure.

Don't make excuses for him, "it's a project", "the football is great", "next year we'll be going for the title". The absolute minimum expectation of Ryan at Wexford this year should've been a playoff place and he didn't achieve that.

He seems to be buddy buddy with a few of the LOI media fraternity, but they can't mask that failure. Wexford should never have finished behind Treaty this year, they're basically an amateur outfit, but Treaty have an accomplished manager that knows how to play to his teams strengths.

In my book, he had a stronger squad than both Treaty and Longford this year.
    Last edited by Olander; 03/11/2022 at 8:47 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    There are people in that media circle who don't make it clear regularly what other work they do around the league which might be why someone like Ryan gets hype beyond their actual achievements in the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    dont know maybe people watch the games and see some semblance of a plan and a style of play , which is lacking in the first division. ryan made a massive error starting the season with hunt in goal, moody is way better. we (cork) struggled against them in our 4 games this season and were very lucky to win up there twice. personally think hes the best manager in the first division by a distance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    dont know maybe people watch the games and see some semblance of a plan and a style of play , which is lacking in the first division. ryan made a massive error starting the season with hunt in goal, moody is way better. we (cork) struggled against them in our 4 games this season and were very lucky to win up there twice. personally think hes the best manager in the first division by a distance.
    His plan wasn't good enough to finish above 6th in a 9 team division with some incredibly poor teams in it.

The league table never lies.

He has achieved nothing in the game and does not deserve the bizarre hype that surrounds him.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    To be fair to Ryan thought he did a decent enough job ,assembled a good squad with a low budget...the big thing about him for me was his ability to get the team playing attractive football,ya a case can be made in terms of where Wexford finished but they have improved playing entertaining stuff.In fairness Cronin,Lennon had their teams trying to play a similar style,Barrett has achieved some very good results with Treaty but its a hard watch ,a lot of long aimless ball.Agree Ryan going to Bray with Delvin still around is madness.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Was at all 4 games against Wexford this season and watched their cup game v Dundalk too, played really good football in almost all of them but the one big concern is the fact when he took over Wexford they were leaking goals and that continued this season. Squad always looked top heavy so maybe he was going to address that in the off-season but certaintly a surprise to see him go now having apparently turned down Waterford and Bohs.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Don't know who does Ryan's PR
    Have you given up being Ollie Horgan's PR man now Harps are Relegated?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Wonder sometimes at all the vitriol aimed at Pat Devlin. Not a good year but where would Bray be if Cabinteely had not taken them over? Why have they had so many owners in a short period of time. I think that despite this year they will kick on if Tony Richardson delivers what he says.
    Its easy to point the finger but Devlin has done a lot over the years to ensure Bray survived. Collie O'Neill was sadly missed and would be the ideal man to take charge.
    Lets see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    https://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2022/...gers-for-2023/

Colin Healy staying as Cork City manager.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Talbot signed a new contract with Bohs. Him and Buckley being at the club next season is a huge boost. https://bohemianfc.com/?p=18651

Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast